Cartoons that scared the crap out of you when you were young

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

zero

Cartoons that scared the crap out of you when you were young

Post by zero »

Does anyone remember watching any cartoons that scared the crap out of you when you're younger?

Well the cartoon that I found to be very scary and that scared me to death when I was younger was scooby doo on zombie island. After watching it on TV at age 10 or 11 I couldn't fall asleep the whole night as got that scared and while laying in bed the only thing that was going thru my mind were the scenes from that scooby doo cartoon.
Thinking about it now I don't get way I got so scared from watching this cartoon as I now realise that this scene isn't all that scary at all
here's the youtube clip of the most scary part of the cartoon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-db-GnHGnQE
ps people I hope that my english skills are okay as english is my 3rd language.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Re: Cartoons that scared the crap out of you when you were y

Post by Sleet »

It wasn't a cartoon, but Peewee's Playhouse used to terrify me.

Considering what happened years later I guess I had good judgment. :P
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

I was scared of the zombie director episode of Courage the Cowardly Dog
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Tatsuo

Post by Tatsuo »

Courage the Cowardly Dog, Nuff said =D. Not all episodes, but there was those creepy ones.
We assume so much, and know so little...
“Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend." - Albert Camus.
zero

Post by zero »

Tatsuo wrote:Courage the Cowardly Dog, Nuff said =D. Not all episodes, but there was those creepy ones.
some of these episodes?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdTymvjRuoc
I never had any problems with watching any Courage episodes. some were very scary but nothing that I couldn't handle
McFly

Post by McFly »

The King Ramses episode scared me the most as a kid.

"Return the slab...!"
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

zero wrote:
Tatsuo wrote:Courage the Cowardly Dog, Nuff said =D. Not all episodes, but there was those creepy ones.
some of these episodes?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdTymvjRuoc
I never had any problems with watching any Courage episodes. some were very scary but nothing that I couldn't handle
#4, the exact moment the guy highlighted freaked me out.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

I never got freaked out by TV. I always found Courage funny, never scary.

I had my shows that I disliked, but never did a single one scare me.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

I wouldn't say that is scared me, but the hallucination sequence from "Beavis and Butt-head Do America" really blew my mind.

If I was ever scared by anything there was a amine film that came on television once called "Lily C.A.T." It was kind of a rip-off of "Alien" and "The Thing" with ship being invaded by a sentient bacteria that dissolves it's victims and takes their place. It was my first real exposure to anime and I was quite young. It really freaked me out.
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

I coincide with zero, the zombie island movie was quite creepy with the mummy bits of the undead, the magic, the monster women, and all that.
Radio Blue Heart wrote:I wouldn't say that is scared me, but the hallucination sequence from "Beavis and Butt-head Do America" really blew my mind.
I remember that the first time I saw that movie, my mom caught me and my little brothe during that part and told us to shut off that wierd display surrealism (Not her exact words, since we were small back then, but you get what I mean.).
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

I'm telling you, hyenas ARE canines too!
Duster

Post by Duster »

There wasn't that many cartoons that scared me back in the day. Ren & Stimpy kinda weirded me out though.

Now there was a few movies and T.V. shows that scared me, like...

I used to be scared when my cousin would watch "Ernest Scared Stupid".
Of course it was an irrational fear, but something about that movie scared me stupid.

I also remember my other cousin loved to watch "Tales From the Crypt". That show really gave me the creeps, but the Crypt Keeper was by far the most ghastly thing about that show.
The Crypt Keeper is just plain creepy!

Extraordinary things happen to Extraordinary people!
also . . .
I'm the Best in the West!
Tatsuo

Post by Tatsuo »

What about Beetlejuice? If anyone remembers the cartoon version. Never bothered me, but my mom HATED it. She'd always turn the t.v off if she caught me watching it.
We assume so much, and know so little...
“Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend." - Albert Camus.
Radio Blue Heart

Duster wrote:There wasn't that many cartoons that scared me back in the day. Ren & Stimpy kinda weirded me out though.

Now there was a few movies and T.V. shows that scared me, like...

I used to be scared when my cousin would watch "Ernest Scared Stupid".
Of course it was an irrational fear, but something about that movie scared me stupid.

I also remember my other cousin loved to watch "Tales From the Crypt". That show really gave me the creeps, but the Crypt Keeper was by far the most ghastly thing about that show.
The Crypt Keeper is just plain creepy!

The live action version or "Tales From The Crypt" or the cartoon version "Tales From The Cryptkeeper"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1j1ely4YoY

Other horror anthologies with unsettling animation that were unsettling were the bookend animation for "Creepshow" and "Creepshow 2". They didn't really scare me because I thought they were so cool!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDSWhvcVrm0

Mentioning "Ren and Stimpy", my dad was weird about what he would let me watch. He let me watch a lot of "R" rated movies but if he ever caught me watching "Ren and Stimpy" he would hit me with a belt!
-Virgil
Punchy

Post by Punchy »

This really creeped me out when I saw it some years ago
McFly wrote:The King Ramses episode scared me the most as a kid.

"Return the slab...!"
Yes! That one!
Panda Panda Panda
valerio

Post by valerio »

back in my days, there wasn't any terrifying cartoon when I was a child. Heck, the scariest thing was the queen's transformation into a hag from 'Snow White'..!
When the first serious adventure anime had started showing, I had grown up enough and wasn't scared by them.
The first non-toon show that made my hair stand on end was 'Space: 1999', the 'Dragon's Domain' episode. THAT was my first taste of fear.
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

If I were to pick a bizarre cartoon, would have been this one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqi5F5MqqTQ
An uncle of mine recorded it for me and showed it to me as a prank when I was a kid. I could barely undertand English at the time, but he translatede it to me and I was creeped out.
This part is from the 1985 movie "The Adventures of Mark Twain"
Shameless advertisement of my fanfics: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/880961/Angelus-alvus
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

The tales from the cryptkeeper were aired when I was at such a young age, that fear was still mostly an alien concept to me, and I found it hard to understand the plot either. I really liked how, if memory doesn't fail me, the cryptkeeper was at odds with a witch and a warlock, for reasons I never managed to figure out (I was less than ten years old).

What really was a bit gross for me was an episode of "Freaky Stories" in which a girl writes a short story that might apeal to male audience, and a guy does the opposite.
The guy's story is a overly sugary romantic story, while the girl makes a gory story of two monster-like creatures fighting to the death. Quite graphic at that.
There were also other creepy stories from that same series.
For those of you who don't know "Freaky Stories", this youtube comment read my mind to a T:
Kris22571 wrote:Man, i remember these cartoon, couldn't remember the name, but i remember that one line "This is a true story it happened to a friend of a friend of mine"..... I'm 20 now and still remember it. Thanks for the video bro!
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist
Location: On this 3 dimensional shape we call "The place we happen to exist I guess?"

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

Punchy wrote:This really creeped me out when I saw it some years ago
McFly wrote:The King Ramses episode scared me the most as a kid.

"Return the slab...!"
Yes! That one!
That freaked me the freak out when I was a kid!
The Catz episode with the spiders is the one that scared me the most though. :?
ImageImageImageImage
TinFoilHats

Post by TinFoilHats »

The clown from The Brave Little Toaster O_O.....
I AM RUBBER, YOU ARE GLUE!!!!
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

CHAOKOCartoons wrote: The Catz episode with the spiders is the one that scared me the most though. :?
Or the one with the giant cockroach, I still wanna know what was behind the tiny door.

D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

I'm going to be honest, I used to watch the PowerPuff Girls, and one episode dealt with an undead magician. Showed how he died, and it was the same thing that killed him again; an Iron Maiden. It wasn't bloody, but it was creepy.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

oh yeah, Abracadaver. that was kinda dark for a kids show.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

The only show that scared me when i was a kid was the Jungle Book anime. It surprised me too, because mostly it was the first mature show shown on television where a kid tries to literally kill a tiger with a knife and torch. makes you wonder how you would feel in that situation when you were eight.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

GameCobra wrote:The only show that scared me when i was a kid was the Jungle Book anime. It surprised me too, because mostly it was the first mature show shown on television where a kid tries to literally kill a tiger with a knife and torch. makes you wonder how you would feel in that situation when you were eight.
Depends on your upbringing. I would probably run screaming for help to the four winds, (Do you think the fantastic four would have come to rescue me?).

Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Silly Zealot wrote:
CHAOKOCartoons wrote: The Catz episode with the spiders is the one that scared me the most though. :?
Or the one with the giant cockroach, I still wanna know what was behind the tiny door.
I have on good authority that you don't wanna knowwhat's behind that door.

Courage used to scare me as a kid. For some reason the haunted mattress one really got me good. Some of that shows episodes are still creepy even to 20 year old me.
Last edited by Seth on Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
I think in Non-sequiturs

"I told you not to put metal in the science oven! What'd you do that for?"

Trash boiz
Radio Blue Heart

I forgot to post a link. Here is the hallucination scene from "Beavis and Butt-Head Do America.

I don't think it is too objectionable, but here is your WARNING! It has so bizarre and frightening images set to a White Zombie song. So if you don't want to see freaky stuff don't click on it.

I know that seems like an unnecessarily long warning, but it is from a PG-13 rated movie and Jeff had me put one on when I posted the trailer to "Stalingrad 3D" just in case and I don't need to get bopped on the head by the mods.
-Virgil
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:Jeff had me put one on when I posted the trailer to "Stalingrad 3D" just in case and I don't need to get bopped on the head by the mods.
*Bops you on the head just because*

Yea, that was kinda freaky. Then again, Beavis and Butthead was never really intended for kids. It's amazing just how far some "kids" cartoons have gone.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Radio Blue Heart

Funny you should mention it. "Ren and Stimpy" was originally intended for an adult audience, so no wonder it drew such controversy. But, in the years since, many cartoons ripped-off its style and it sort of looks tame by today's standards. John Kricfalusi was way ahead of his time.
-Virgil
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Seth wrote:
Silly Zealot wrote:
I have on hood authority that you don't wanna knowwhat's behind that door.

Courage used to scare me as a kid. For some reason the haunted mattress one really got me good. Some of that shows episodes are still creepy even to 20 year old me.
Oooh, the rats on that episode were creepy, but maybe they needed friends?

Radio Blue Heart

JeffCvt wrote:
Radio Blue Heart wrote:Jeff had me put one on when I posted the trailer to "Stalingrad 3D" just in case and I don't need to get bopped on the head by the mods.
*Bops you on the head just because*

Why you hit me like that, Jeff?!

I found a movie on youtube I don't think that I have seen since I was five or six. It is called "The Railway Dragon". Its about a little girl that meets a dragon living under a railway tunnel. The part that really scared me was the scene where the dragon is flying and he is shot by some hunters. He crashed and one of his wings and one of his arms were badly injured. That scared me as a child!
-Virgil
tychoaussie

Post by tychoaussie »

Invasion of the Body snatchers scared me.

but not as bad as,

"I Married a Monster from outer space", as shown on ABC television, Saturday afternoon at 3PM on their weekly creature feature. It was a 1950's B movie in black & white. This was in the time before cable TV was invented and it scared me so bad I couldn't sleep for a week and it literally put the monsters under my bed. I was like, eight years old at the time?

(edit: To include the link to the movie review)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0051756/plo ... _=tt_ov_pl
Fun-loving by birth, Honorable through upbringing, Brave by necessity.
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

Some of the stuff from SuperBook unsettled me when I was a youth. Also Kimba the White Lion also got to me with a few things.