Favorite Webcomic/Comic Series/Graphic novel

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

angelusbr

Re: Favorite Webcomic/Comic Series/Graphic novel

Post by angelusbr »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:Good news everyone!

"The Roomies" is not dead. It just went on a very long unplanned hiatus. The creator has an update that promises new strips sometime in the near future.

http://roomies.starfieldcreations.com/
yay! Talking about comics, by the way. Did you guys read the DC Ratchet and clank comics. The story was quite good, the characters were well portrayed, but I must say, the cover pages were misleading when it came to the art. The guy who drew the covers should have done the entire thing. Rathet inside of the comic looked VERY old and fat (and the overall characters weren't that very well drawn either) and when I looked at him like that it almost made me regret getting them, but, thankfully I gave the story a chance and I really enjoyed the plot.
Shameless advertisement of my fanfics: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/880961/Angelus-alvus
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

On the subject of comic cross overs, I think I have found the greatest (well, for people like me anyway) comic cross over ever! In the early 90s, an imprint of Marvel called Epic produced comics for a more mature audience. Two of these titles were adaptations or based on two films created by Clive Barker, "Hellraiser" and "Nightbreed". Epic did a cross over "Hellraiser vs Nightbreed"... and it was awesome!!!

And that was just the special. In the "Nightbreed" series, they did a cross over with "Rawhead Rex"!
Last edited by Radio Blue Heart on Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

I think that image is a bit above this forum's PG rating.
Jihad is what cowboys say when they are exited, right? Jiiiiiiiiihad! (I'm kidding, I'm kidding).
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

I'm telling you, hyenas ARE canines too!
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

The word "Jihad" isn't really that inappropriate. Events that happened 12 years ago make it kind of insensitive without proper context, sure, but that comic, I assume, is not in reference to that at all.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

or if you were referring to the blood, that's an acceptable level.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Radio Blue Heart

In the interest of keeping everything civil, I removed the image. And as Sleet aptly pointed out, yes, this comic is from 1991. No offense was intended.

To put it in it's proper context, the Cenobites, demons and the main antagonist of the "Hellraiser" series are a quasi-monastic order that believe life as it exists on Earth is a mistake. They believe that flesh is corrupt and chaotic, and has to be disciplined through mutilation. Thus their hideous appearance (Pinhead's pins and such). They live to enforce their own brand of order. Humans are the number one target of their designs, but the Nightbreed are considered even more chaotic because they are so unique. That is why the Cenobites have declared war on them.
-Virgil
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:In the interest of keeping everything civil, I removed the image. And as Sleet aptly pointed out, yes, this comic is from 1991. No offense was intended.

To put it in it's proper context, the Cenobites, demons and the main antagonist of the "Hellraiser" series are a quasi-monastic order that believe life as it exists on Earth is a mistake. They believe that flesh is corrupt and chaotic, and has to be disciplined through mutilation. Thus their hideous appearance (Pinhead's pins and such). They live to enforce their own brand of order. Humans are the number one target of their designs, but the Nightbreed are considered even more chaotic because they are so unique. That is why the Cenobites have declared war on them.
I'm pretty sure things in this forums hardly ever escalate to the point of ridiculous, then again, I'm new to this forums so what do I know?

You could simply link the image off-site and/or leave it under a spoiler tag.

And I just remebered a very nice webcomic: Dragonet.
Set in "a medieval Europe that never was" (A.K.A. a version of medieval Europe with classic and contemporary fantasy creatures), it tells the story of a wizard that, along with three knights, goes to slay a dragon that has been terrorizing the countryside. After a hard fought battle, the wizard finds and secretly adopts one of the dragon's offsprings, deciding to see if this creature (dragons in this story being sapient, if impulsive) can become good.
The story progresess over the years, fille with fantsy adventures, that can vary from being dramatic to hearth-warming to comedic to all the previous things combined.
It does have a deal of death and blood, but otherwise it can be appealing to pretty much everyone.
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

Is the order of the stick website offline for you guys too?
Shameless advertisement of my fanfics: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/880961/Angelus-alvus
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

angelusbr wrote:Is the order of the stick website offline for you guys too?
I decided to check (though I don't follow it) and yes, it doesn't work for me either.

angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

Silly Zealot wrote:
angelusbr wrote:Is the order of the stick website offline for you guys too?
I decided to check (though I don't follow it) and yes, it doesn't work for me either.
Thanks. I feared it might ahve been a problem just in my computer.
Radio Blue Heart

I just got a stack of "Nightbreed" comics in the mail yesterday. I have already read half of them. I have up to issue 14, and I won't have far to go to get the entire 25 issue series.
-Virgil
Hukley
Banner Artist

Post by Hukley »

Thanks to Sleet's avatar, i started to read "Precocious" :D
Pretty cool webcomic :)
Awesome Avatar-Animation by GeckoZY! :D
Simon & Freddy has its own Webpage now: http://www.simonandfreddy.com/
My webcomic: (Updates on Saturdays)
ImageImage
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

That reminds that I just found out "cargo cult" and the "wizard school", Both contain explicit foul-mouthedness, though, specially the latter, so I'd rather not touch those if I were you before reaching 16.

Also, anyone here's a fan of Asterix comics?

Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Hukley wrote:Thanks to Sleet's avatar, i started to read "Precocious" :D
Glad my avatar randomizer could be of service. *bows*
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Radio Blue Heart

Sleet wrote:
In that case, your Florence Ambrose from "Freefall" is worth checking out. But, STAY AWAY from their forum, those people are vicious!

I found some "Pumpkinhead" comics! Comics based on one of my favorite movies!

Just wanted plug this real quick, mycomicshop.com, comics as cheap and $0.80 a pop.
-Virgil
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

I actually got quite a few of my favorite webcomics from Sleet's avatar.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
TinFoilHats

Post by TinFoilHats »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:Just wanted plug this real quick, mycomicshop.com, comics as cheap and $0.80 a pop.
And if you mean comics like Superman, I pity you. Why? Read these articles and be enlightened, mortal:

Part 1http://vividstuff.blogspot.ca/2008/12/a ... edium.html
Part 2http://vividstuff.blogspot.ca/2008/12/a ... ction.html
Part 3http://vividstuff.blogspot.ca/2008/12/a ... y-aka.html
Part 4http://vividstuff.blogspot.ca/2009/01/a ... ution.html
Part 5http://vividstuff.blogspot.ca/2009/03/a ... -from.html
Part 6http://vividstuff.blogspot.ca/2009/04/a ... arket.html
I AM RUBBER, YOU ARE GLUE!!!!
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:
Sleet wrote:
In that case, your Florence Ambrose from "Freefall" is worth checking out. But, STAY AWAY from their forum, those people are vicious!
I follow that comic all the time it updates, lovable art and jokes, but some characters' attitudes towards others and the world are very disagreeable in my opinion! And yes, that includes, particularly, in fact, Florence and Sam.

Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I'm also amused at how slowly time passes in that comic. It pretty much time skips never; the average strip advances in-universe time by 17 minutes.
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Sleet wrote:I'm also amused at how slowly time passes in that comic. It pretty much time skips never; the average strip advances in-universe time by 17 minutes.
Yes, in fact, if you look closely on the clocks on the strips from the last two weeks, we find that only 29 minutes pass between the first and the last.
That webcomic has been going on for over 14 YEARS, and onlyone to three months have passed within the story.
Also, I can't believe I actually made the herculean effort of reading over 2300 strips of a cuadrupedal robot, a wolf-woman, and an alien squid in a humanoid robotic suit fooling around!

Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I'm also tickled by how "hard" the sci-fi is despite the comic's focus on humor and completely ridiculous premise.
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Sleet wrote:I'm also tickled by how "hard" the sci-fi is despite the comic's focus on humor and completely ridiculous premise.
There are few strips I read repeatedly, and I still can't figure out what they are trying to say. They tend to talk about math, physics, technology, etc. that the normal reader is not accostumed to see in an apparently goofy comic.

Radio Blue Heart

TinFoilHats wrote:
Radio Blue Heart wrote:Just wanted plug this real quick, mycomicshop.com, comics as cheap and $0.80 a pop.
And if you mean comics like Superman, I pity you. Why? Read these articles and be enlightened, mortal:

Part 1http://vividstuff.blogspot.ca/2008/12/a ... edium.html
Part 2http://vividstuff.blogspot.ca/2008/12/a ... ction.html
Part 3http://vividstuff.blogspot.ca/2008/12/a ... y-aka.html
Part 4http://vividstuff.blogspot.ca/2009/01/a ... ution.html
Part 5http://vividstuff.blogspot.ca/2009/03/a ... -from.html
Part 6http://vividstuff.blogspot.ca/2009/04/a ... arket.html
What brought this on? I don't read Superman. I use it find obscure horror and furry comics. What's with the lecture series?
-Virgil
TinFoilHats

Post by TinFoilHats »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:What brought this on? I don't read Superman. I use it find obscure horror and furry comics. What's with the lecture series?
Sorry, when I read 'comicshop', I thought you meant something along the lines of Superman and what have you. I just read these articles and it really opened my eyes to the way the comics industry is run nowadays(which is very appalling). Sorry if it seemed like I was dissing you in any way(I was being stupid). I just found the articles to be a real eye-opener.
I AM RUBBER, YOU ARE GLUE!!!!
Rico

Post by Rico »

I found some great web comics while reading through this topic, so I though I'd reply in kind by sharing some of my daily online reading (in no particular order):

Penny Arcade
Dilbert (I loved the TV series too, although brief)
Chuck & Beans (cute and techy)
Mows! (was dead but Kickstarter is bringing it back from the dead)
Mynarski Forest
Sequential Art (not sure where they're going with their current arc)
Garfield Minus Garfield (exactly as it sounds, Garfield strips without Garfield. Sometimes funny, sometimes just a manic depressive, slightly schizophrenic Jon Arbuckle)
TwoKinds
Housepets!
xkcd
Cyanide and Happiness
Doghouse Diaries

I also used to read better days when it was running, but I'm a bit embarrassed about that one :oops:
Everything works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out yet, then it's not the end.

angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

I just read and enjoyed Drowtales. It was a great webcomic, but it is very violent and is graphic about it.
Rico

Post by Rico »

angelusbr wrote:I just read and enjoyed Drowtales. It was a great webcomic, but it is very violent and is graphic about it.
As long as it is an important part of the story and not just for the sake of mindless violence then I think it's fine! I've just read the first few pages, but at 40+ chapters, this may take a while!
Everything works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out yet, then it's not the end.

angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

Rico wrote:
angelusbr wrote:I just read and enjoyed Drowtales. It was a great webcomic, but it is very violent and is graphic about it.
As long as it is an important part of the story and not just for the sake of mindless violence then I think it's fine! I've just read the first few pages, but at 40+ chapters, this may take a while!
The violence has a reason to hapen (because of wars, betrayals, etc.).
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist
Location: On this 3 dimensional shape we call "The place we happen to exist I guess?"

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

Sorry to put up my list this late! Just found this topic.
-Housepets!
-Housepets! 1X
-TwoKinds
-Sandra and Woo
-Bittersweet Candy Bowl (I had no I dea it would be such an "emotional roller coaster" when I found it :lol: )
ImageImageImageImage
hypernovatic

Post by hypernovatic »

One of my favorites is Ghosts of the Future.
My RP characters
FEAR THE HALLOWEEN BAT
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist
Location: On this 3 dimensional shape we call "The place we happen to exist I guess?"

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

angelusbr wrote: yay! Talking about comics, by the way. Did you guys read the DC Ratchet and clank comics. The story was quite good, the characters were well portrayed, but I must say, the cover pages were misleading when it came to the art. The guy who drew the covers should have done the entire thing. Rathet inside of the comic looked VERY old and fat (and the overall characters weren't that very well drawn either) and when I looked at him like that it almost made me regret getting them, but, thankfully I gave the story a chance and I really enjoyed the plot.
You have my respect sir! :D
ImageImageImageImage
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Maybe it was a story set many years from all the other installments, in which Ratchet has gotten old and fat? XD

musclecar326

Post by musclecar326 »

My current webcomic reading list is up to 25 different ones.

Housepets, Bittersweet Candy Bowl, Las Lindas, Two Kinds, Kevin and Kell, The Whiteboard, Sandra and Woo, Original Life, Faux Pas, Draconia Chronicles, Sequential Art, Two Lumps, Furry Experience, Rascals, Project Zero, Knuckle Up, Rascals Goyoko, Brawl in the Family, Manly Guys Doing Manly Things, Battle Bunnies, A Redtail's Dream, DreamKeepers, Peter is the Wolf, Cats n' Cameras, and Druids.
Yes, I am a furry.
Punchy

Post by Punchy »

CHAOKOCartoons wrote:
angelusbr wrote: yay! Talking about comics, by the way. Did you guys read the DC Ratchet and clank comics. The story was quite good, the characters were well portrayed, but I must say, the cover pages were misleading when it came to the art. The guy who drew the covers should have done the entire thing. Rathet inside of the comic looked VERY old and fat (and the overall characters weren't that very well drawn either) and when I looked at him like that it almost made me regret getting them, but, thankfully I gave the story a chance and I really enjoyed the plot.
You have my respect sir! :D
Ratchet and Clank fans, eh? :D I haven't read the comic books, but I play the games!

Anyway, here's my list:
- Lackadaisy (yeah it takes forever but it's my favorite!)
- Housepets!
- Happle Tea
- Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal
- Garfield Minus Garfield
- Nedroid
Panda Panda Panda
Rico

Post by Rico »

I've found some great webcomics though the lists on here. Bittersweet Candy Bowl seems to be a popular one, and I also get ads for it on the Housepets! homepage. It must be a sign!
CHAOKOCartoons wrote:Bittersweet Candy Bowl (I had no I dea it would be such an "emotional roller coaster" when I found it :lol: )
I can see that through just reading the latest chapter. I'm going to have to start at the beginning to get the backstory :)

angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

Silly Zealot wrote:Maybe it was a story set many years from all the other installments, in which Ratchet has gotten old and fat? XD
I was going to say that if it were the case, it would have been wierd since it was just Ratchet that was like that, but then I remembered that I can't treat all alien species the same in their universe. Maybe some age faster than others, but, even so, I think it was implied somewhere that it wasn't that much of time after the happenings of a crack in time.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Radio Blue Heart wrote: In that case, your Florence Ambrose from "Freefall" is worth checking out. But, STAY AWAY from their forum, those people are vicious!
I take it that you're not talking of the crosstimecafe free fall forum there as I'm on the cross time and have never had a problem with anyone.

Anyhow, my webcomics list

Precocious
House pets!
DocRat
Endtown
Ozy & Milly reruns
Twokinds
Kevin & Kell
Safe havens
Brewster Rockett.
Freefall
Carry on
21st century Fox
9 Chickweed Lane
Get Fuzzy.
Pearls before Swine
Richard 'D.ck' Tracy (nowt wrong with a classic, especially one with a TOTALLY inoffensive name that's been around since the 1930's)
Dana Simpson's new one - Heavenly Nostrils.
Sandra and Woo
The Bullys bully.
Last edited by Welsh Halfwit on Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
SkyeCaptain

Post by SkyeCaptain »

Housepets! is without a doubt #1.

Others are:
xkcd
Concerned (if you like Half-Life 2 I recommend it)
Critical Miss (on The Escapist)

I used to read Questionable Content but, meh I was losing interest in it and then when I found Housepets! I realised it didn't even compare.
Being good pays off. There's a nice view up here on moral high-ground.
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

angelusbr wrote:
Silly Zealot wrote:Maybe it was a story set many years from all the other installments, in which Ratchet has gotten old and fat? XD
I was going to say that if it were the case, it would have been wierd since it was just Ratchet that was like that, but then I remembered that I can't treat all alien species the same in their universe. Maybe some age faster than others, but, even so, I think it was implied somewhere that it wasn't that much of time after the happenings of a crack in time.
To be fair, he does get thinner when he puts his armor on.
ImageImageImageImage
SkyeCaptain

Post by SkyeCaptain »

Thanks to everyone who suggested Twokinds in this thread. I searched it because of this thread and I've been enjoying it a lot so far!
Being good pays off. There's a nice view up here on moral high-ground.