Have you ever owned a motorcycle?

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

tychoaussie

Have you ever owned a motorcycle?

Post by tychoaussie »

I have owned several over the course of the last TWENTY-FIVE years - though I don't generally run through a lot of them. I generally choose carefully and pick my deals wisely. In almost all cases, I've sold them for almost as much as I paid for them. I usually keep 'em for a while - up to ten years in some cases.

I've had four-stroke enduro machines (KLR250), two-stroke enduro / desert racing machines (Yamaha IT250, Yamaha WR500), and I've had some decent street bikes that range from small to tall, cafe racer to crusier: Yamaha RD350LC (two-stroke squidbike), Yamaha XS1100 Maxim, Maxim 550, Honda CB750 supersport, Honda VT250 Interceptor.

All good bikes - and fun in their own way. Then, this weekend, I ran across this bike: A 2000 Honda VFR800. I've had my eye out for one in case a good deal ever came by, and it finally did. ..and all can say is, woo hoo! This is, by far, the nicest, smoothest, coolest bike I've ever owned. It's fuel injected, starts instantly, has incredible sensitive brakes, turns like into the corners like a second-thought, and has a gearbox that shifts like it's intuition. It goes from zero-to seventy MPH in like, three seconds, but can pick up 50 MPG if you are easy on it. The V-4 engine sounds like an angry smallblock chevy V8, and the camshaft and it's gear-drive whine is incredibly distinctive sound. It's quiet except for the gear whine so there's nothing that sounds like it except maybe another VFR. The riding position is sports-like, but uncramped enough for riding hundreds of miles in a day.

oh yeah: It's also yellow. How cool is that? :D

So, how about you? Have you ever owned a motorcycle? Do you still have one? I've been a member of the American Motorcyclist Association since 1990; Now that I have the VFR I plan on riding it to work every single day when I don't have to carry big stuff that I can't strap onto my back.

...like my fursuit's gear bag.
Fun-loving by birth, Honorable through upbringing, Brave by necessity.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Re: Have you ever owned a motorcycle?

Post by Sleet »

I've never had one. I think they're neat and more fuel efficient than driving a car, but I also have concerns over their safety.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

I've wanted a motorcycle most of my life, and even had the privilege of riding on the back of my mate's Harley Davidson.

Thing is, now I'm old enough to get one and can easily pass the test, my dad's not allowing me to have one for safety reason. Just gotta wait another so many years until I'm living on my own so I can get one.

I don't know a lot about cars or bikes, but I do know you're looking incredible in any case. Love the colour. :P
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

Just get a moped.
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

Too dangerous, according to my Dad.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

The noise is another issue I have with motorcycles. I swear, the engineers intentionally make those engines louder than they need to be. It's obnoxious.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

My mum called them something like over-sized hair driers once upon a time.
Radio Blue Heart

When I was little there was boy who lived in our neighborhood who prided himself on removing the muffler from his motorcycle and driving it as fast as he could though said neighborhood. Enough calls to the police and reckless driving citations put a stop to it eventually.
-Virgil
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

44R0NM10 wrote:Too dangerous, according to my Dad.
Your dad called scooters or whatever too dangerous?o:
Jason Mraz wrote: My goal is to show everyone that they, too, can do what they love to do.
Daggy wrote: Look a shadowpriest, what a cutie.... POW
Radio Blue Heart

You could try something with a bit more stability. Like the new "trike" bikes that are becoming popular.

The extra wheel makes it a bit safer and it can still go where a car cannot.
-Virgil
Hukley
Banner Artist

Post by Hukley »

I'm a biker since July 2006 :)
My first bike was a Yamaha DT 125. At present i ride an Aprilia Pegaso 650
Image Image
Awesome Avatar-Animation by GeckoZY! :D
Simon & Freddy has its own Webpage now: http://www.simonandfreddy.com/
My webcomic: (Updates on Saturdays)
ImageImage
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Sleet wrote:The noise is another issue I have with motorcycles. I swear, the engineers intentionally make those engines louder than they need to be. It's obnoxious.
A lot of municipalities have enacted noise ordinances that impact motorcycle engine noise.

As to the thread's original question, no, I've not ever owned a motorcycle. I used to really want to be a motor cop, though, and that Honda is a beautiful bike. *giggles*

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

I have bicycle, does that count? :lol:

Personally, I HATE motorcycles with unending spite: They sneak around in between cars at risky speeds, can't stop well when street lights turn red, forcing me to have to stop and wait longer before actually getting to cross, and as Sleet has said, they make a ridicoulus amount if noise. I think it sound like a case of super indigestion!
Driving motorcycles is awesome and you really enjoy, it's true, but you have to be completely inconsiderate to use them on urban areas.
I liked that South Park episode where a certain derogatory term had it's meaning changed to refer to all propietors and/or drivers of Harley Davidsons. I think it should have been changed to cover all motorcycle owners/drivers.
Aussie's pikachu bike looks real nice, though.
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

I'm telling you, hyenas ARE canines too!
tychoaussie

Post by tychoaussie »

Silly Zealot wrote:I have bicycle, does that count? :lol:

Personally, I HATE motorcycles with unending spite: They sneak around in between cars at risky speeds, can't stop well when street lights turn red, forcing me to have to stop and wait longer before actually getting to cross, and as Sleet has said, they make a ridicoulus amount if noise. I think it sound like a case of super indigestion!
Driving motorcycles is awesome and you really enjoy, it's true, but you have to be completely inconsiderate to use them on urban areas.
I liked that South Park episode where a certain derogatory term had it's meaning changed to refer to all propietors and/or drivers of Harley Davidsons. I think it should have been changed to cover all motorcycle owners/drivers.
Aussie's pikachu bike looks real nice, though.
Y'know Zealot, you might be right. I just had to scold my motorcycle for that very thing. Just the other day I think I might have caught it sneaking back into the garage after an afternoon of sneaking between cars at risky speeds, and I suspect it's been running red lights and making people wait. I bet it even takes it's muffler off at night when I'm not looking and doing all sorts of other inconsiderate things.

Then there are those furry people. Always acting weird. Those fursuits: I swear they are leering at us all. They never take showers and all they do is play videogames all day and never get jobs. They look like they never excercise and their fingertips are stain ed yellow from all the cheetos and doritos that they consume in their parent's basement. The only thing worse is a furry fursuiter with a motorcycle that's the color of a great, big cheeto. Personally, I HATE those kinds of guys with unending spite!

Edit:
p.s.

- - been riding since 1987, never had an accident, NOR a speeding ticket.

...and my muffler is stock & the bike is quiet enough that about all you hear is the whirring of the gear driven cams when I'm riding around town.
GRANDMAS like my yellow motorcycle!
GRANDPAS want a motorcycle like mine, if only Grandma would let 'em!
Even my own wife went for a ride on it with me the other day, and she's not been on one of my motorcycles since 1995!
- - - >^_^<

Someone else's VFR
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDztyQ-KQgY

Another 2000 VFR like mine on the racetrack:
http://youtu.be/-9_ksYvpkW4

Note that they sound completely different from the normal sportbikes or the HD's. Very sports car-like.

Mod Edit: Please do not double post. If your post is the most recent and you wish to add information, please use the edit button in the upper-right corner. - whoops. Sorry. I pressed the wrong button.
Fun-loving by birth, Honorable through upbringing, Brave by necessity.