My Little Pony

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Penwrite

Re: My Little Pony

Post by Penwrite »

Today I got something worse than no reviews of my fan fic.

A bad review of my fan fic.

Off to watch pony to cheer myself up.
Some Guy

Post by Some Guy »

Cheer up, man. Everypony gets a bad review at some point.
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

Its probably from some overly negative person looking for an ego boost. Just ignore it.

After a shipping mix up at my comic shop, I finally got this month's round of pony comics. I loved the Rarity micro series story. Seeing her interact with the hippie ponies was hilarious!

And, the second part of the main series arc was really good. After getting to the moon and encountering the nightmare creatures, their back up plan for when Luna resisted their attempts to seduce her into becoming Nightmare Moon again was so cool! Holy carp! Nightmare Rarity!

And I agree with all the points that article made on the last page. The characters are non-traditional archetypes in a very female positive story.
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

This story seems promising, from the first chapter at least.

http://www.fimfiction.net/story/100084/ ... ke/1st-act
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Equestria Girls Duration and Extended Synopsis Well we now know exactly what its about.

Also Twitter Questions for Donations with Lauren Faust should prove interesting.
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

IceKitsune wrote:Equestria Girls Duration and Extended Synopsis Well we now know exactly what its about.

Also Twitter Questions for Donations with Lauren Faust should prove interesting.
Maybe it won't be as bad as I'm expecting.

*reads synopsis*

*bangs head against the wall*
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

It seems to be exactly what I was expecting, a longer and likely pretty mediocre episode of the show set in Highschool.
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Why high school!? When has any show EVER had a fun or interesting high school episode? What's there even in the high school setting to make it needed for this story? Augh!
Argent

Post by Argent »

Penwrite wrote:Why high school!? When has any show EVER had a fun or interesting high school episode?
Marmalade Boy? Evangelion?
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
mariomarc

Post by mariomarc »

Argent wrote:
Penwrite wrote:Why high school!? When has any show EVER had a fun or interesting high school episode?
Marmalade Boy? Evangelion?
Buffy the Vampire Slayer?
Radio Blue Heart

Penwrite wrote:Why high school!? When has any show EVER had a fun or interesting high school episode? What's there even in the high school setting to make it needed for this story? Augh!
Yeah, really. She is leaving the magical land of Equestria for the waking nightmare that is high school. I would much rather fight monsters and chaos gods than go through that again.
-Virgil
Argent

Post by Argent »

mariomarc wrote:Buffy the Vampire Slayer?
Steady on, let's not get crazy about this!
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
Radio Blue Heart

"Class of Nuke 'Em High", but I would never subject pony characters to such horror even if it was a good movie. Pinky Pie would never be a Cretin!
-Virgil
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Penwrite wrote:Why high school!? When has any show EVER had a fun or interesting high school episode? What's there even in the high school setting to make it needed for this story? Augh!
Hasbro is going after the tween/teen demographic (specifically those that watch a show called Monster High IIRC,even though from what I hear that show isn't really that popular in that demo) so of course they are going to set it in High School. Because everyone knows that the only thing tweens/teens can relate to or care about is High School. :roll: (p.s. that last part is extreme sarcasm if you couldn't tell.)
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Shows about groups of teenagers surviving high school are nothing new. They continue to be made because they continue to work. Apparently someone thought this would be a good idea. And maybe it will be. Just because we think it's a ridiculous idea doesn't mean its target audience won't like it. And heck, maybe it won't be bad. After having my very low expectations for FiM shattered, I don't really have any right to judge this without at least seeing it first.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Well anyway, moving on to a less-polarizing topic, what kinds of villains would y'all like to see in FiM? Personally I'd like to see a Professor Coldheart-type character. You know, a mad scientist kind of villain who removes positive feelings. Would be a neat change from the magical big bads from before.
Radio Blue Heart

I just want more Greek mythological monsters. They classify Iron Will as a villain even though he was just a blowhard. They could do so much more with minotaurs.
-Virgil
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

I would like to see them do a reoccurring villain, over the course of the season. It doesn't have to be a specific type of villain (ie. magic based or non magic based; though I would prefer a completely technology based villain if I had to chose) just one that isn't completely defeated at the end of the opener and then comes back in various episodes though the season. Pretty much the only thing that I would like the show to do is keep having the seasonal arcs like they had in 1 and 3.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

The problem with recurring villains is that the show doesn't really even have villains that often. Most episodes are villainless. Recurring villains would limit the number of neat villains they could make.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Sleet wrote:The problem with recurring villains is that the show doesn't really even have villains that often. Most episodes are villainless. Recurring villains would limit the number of neat villains they could make.
On that same token, having no recurring villains limits how neat the villains can be.
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

Oh, hey everyone. I wrote a MLP fic. Nothing big, and I haven't gone through and polished it up yet. When I do it'll get posted on FimFiction. But if anyone is interested in the meantime, here it is: Edit: Link removed. I finished it and the link to the finished one is down below.

And speaking of villains, I would like to see a recurring character like Trixie come up more often. More annoying than villain. And as far as actual villains go, like Nightmare Moon or Sombra, I hope they don't just keep making more and more of them. That just gets boring, and I like to see layers added to characters as the show goes on. We'll never see anymore of Sombra, but I think giving him a backstory in, say the season 4 ending would have been a really good thing. At least I would have liked it.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Penwrite wrote:
Sleet wrote:The problem with recurring villains is that the show doesn't really even have villains that often. Most episodes are villainless. Recurring villains would limit the number of neat villains they could make.
On that same token, having no recurring villains limits how neat the villains can be.
That is true if you have a recurring villain you can develop them more then you could one who only lasts two episodes at most. Plus I'm not really saying that every episode would have to deal with said villain just a few over the course of the season. Like for example the first 2 episodes set him/her up and then maybe they reappear a bit before the half way mark in one episode, then again at the half way point of 26 episodes then at the end of the season (So at episode 1 and 2 then episode 5,6 or 7 then episode 13 and maybe 14 if its a midseason 2 parter then again at 18,19 or 20, and then finally in 25 and 26) You can have plenty of other villains and non villain episode in between then.
Radio Blue Heart

Or maybe have the vilains that they have already established come back once a season. Trixie and Discord have had second appearances, So they could give more appearances to Queen Chrysalis, King Sombra or Gilda. It would be great if they could do Sombra again and develop his character more.
-Virgil
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:Or maybe have the vilains that they have already established come back once a season. Trixie and Discord have had second appearances, So they could give more appearances to Queen Chrysalis, King Sombra or Gilda. It would be great if they could do Sombra again and develop his character more.
It was officially stated that Sombra is dead, so that probably won't happen unless they decide to give him some backstory in the comics, and Chrysalis already came back in the comics, so she probably won't be back in the show.

as for Gilda, that one seems plausible

so EqD is having a poll of which of the mane 6 you'd like as a roommate. I'm surprised anyone chose Rainbow Dash considering her snoring.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

*Shameless self-promotion*
So I finished that fic I posed a Google Doc version of earlier. And put it on FimFiction.

Link for those interested. http://www.fimfiction.net/story/101584/one-awkward-kiss

Uh, this is for those who aren't. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ncI5BTIBNM I don't think this was posted here.

Also, I would like Rainbow Dash as a roomate because after having lived with my dad, I can deal with snoring.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:
Radio Blue Heart wrote:Or maybe have the vilains that they have already established come back once a season. Trixie and Discord have had second appearances, So they could give more appearances to Queen Chrysalis, King Sombra or Gilda. It would be great if they could do Sombra again and develop his character more.
It was officially stated that Sombra is dead, so that probably won't happen unless they decide to give him some backstory in the comics, and Chrysalis already came back in the comics, so she probably won't be back in the show.

as for Gilda, that one seems plausible

so EqD is having a poll of which of the mane 6 you'd like as a roommate. I'm surprised anyone chose Rainbow Dash considering her snoring.
I don't think people thought that far ahead.

I'd probably like to room with Twilight. She's neat and responsible.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

yeah, I said Twilight too. Pinkie would be too energetic for me, Dash snores, and Rarity would probably overreact to stuff (plus I'd have to deal with her organized chaos). AJ, Twilight and Fluttershy seem like the only smart choices.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I could deal with Rainbow Dash but really the only ones I'd be comfortable with rooming with would be Twilight, Fluttershy and Rarity. Rarity and I don't have too compatible personalities but she seems like she'd be easy to get along with as long as we get space.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

I personally picked Twilight however Fluttershy, or Rainbow Dash would work as well. Applejack would want to get up to early everyday for me personally (though I could easily get used to that), me and Rarity, while it could work, would likely have to many personality conflicts for it to be worth it. As for Pinkie I could only stand her in short doses and not as a roommate.
Radio Blue Heart

Here are a couple more fan efforts that I found very entertaining.

This is an animated short with Colgate explaining the difficulties of being a dentist in Ponyville.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCA3STgVa64

And a reworking of the "This Day Aria" if Shining Armor had been kidnapped and replaced instead of Cadence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyrT0bMNO1Y

Its actually kind of precious to see him crying in despair.

It kind of sucks that King Sombra won't be back. There was so much they could do with him. Can people die in My Little Pony?

Lately, I have been seeing more of this fan stuff of Celestia being a tyrant. I just don't get it. Is it because they hate her or are they trying to be sarcastic. I personally like Celestia.
-Virgil
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:Here are a couple more fan efforts that I found very entertaining.

This is an animated short with Colgate explaining the difficulties of being a dentist in Ponyville.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCA3STgVa64

And a reworking of the "This Day Aria" if Shining Armor had been kidnapped and replaced instead of Cadence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyrT0bMNO1Y

Its actually kind of precious to see him crying in despair.

It kind of sucks that King Sombra won't be back. There was so much they could do with him. Can people die in My Little Pony?

Lately, I have been seeing more of this fan stuff of Celestia being a tyrant. I just don't get it. Is it because they hate her or are they trying to be sarcastic. I personally like Celestia.
I love the Colgate one it was funny as heck :lol:

The Shining Armor "This Day Aria" was very very good I love how they kept the feel very close to the original.

There was a funeral before that in the background of the Hearts and Hooves day episode in the song sung by the CMC and AJs Parents are dead. So yes they can.

I don't get it either really. I think it comes from the fact that she is kind of been shown as perfect; and as much as she is my favorite of the Princesses (not counting Twilight here, she is still top of the Mane 6) pretty boring, so far. They need to make her a tyrant because fans don't really know what to do with her. Ive also heard it comes from her being "manipulative" though when asked when she is the only time people come up with is the first episode with Twilight and some people cite the Ticket Master by only sending Twilight two tickets, and training her to be a Princess.

However the first one was necessary because Twilight was a shut in who would have never done what was needed, plus the Elements wouldn't have worked if she told Twilight outright what to do because the connections wouldn't have been real. The second one wasn't really a manipulation at all, because she gained nothing from doing it that way intentionally rather then just by mistake. As for the third this is something that every ruler does when they don't have an Heir. Anyway its extremely unlikely that Twilight didn't think that she was going to get at least some kind of position in the Royal Court (likely Court Mage I would guess); she would have to be a moron to not think something like that was coming from being the personal student of the ruler of her country.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

So the comic book micro-series's Rarity issue was pretty good. I felt like they did a good job writing Rarity on her own. She's the kind of character who it's kinda hard to make "save the day" without breaking character or contriving a ridiculous plot, but they did it. I thoroughly enjoyed it. :3
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

So, this came out today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ta9i3YQAzM

Have to say, the style does look a lot better in motion.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

It still seems really suspect. I'll withhold judgment though...
mariomarc

Post by mariomarc »

it looks...

not nearly as bad as i first thought

still annoying high school drama seems present

but the designs look better in movement
also i noticed other fim characters are humanized as well

also i just realized
THIS IS COMING TO THEATRES!?
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

only a few select theaters.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Penwrite wrote:So, this came out today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ta9i3YQAzM

Have to say, the style does look a lot better in motion.
Again it looks exactly like I suspected it would. I have a feeling when you get down to it, and ignore the human thing, its going to be an average yet longer episode of the actual show, nothing more. Heck I suspect at best it will actually be good and at worst it will be boring, forgettable and no one will care about it a month or two after it airs.
RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:only a few select theaters.
I can't believe they think this is going to do any money in theaters, even in a limited amount. This thing will bomb pretty hard outside of the first day maybe. The only people that are likely to go see it are bunch of bronies going to tell everyone else what happens in it. They might get some kids but I highly doubt it will do that much off them.
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Oddly enough, I thought Snips and Snails looked pretty cool humanized like they were.

Also, digging evil Sunset Shimmer. Or whatever her name is.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

The fact that they humanized Vinyl Scratch suggests they might be focusing at least partially on the older fans. Which could be a good sign.
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

The biggest question on my mind is if Spike will be able to talk or not.