Help Create Fino: Post your Fino Drawings/Designs!

Now with new GALLERY

Moderators: Hagus, SeanWolf

GeckoZY
Location: 16 Dimensions, 13th Hyperplane No. 47.54,3674.06,6378.13; Randomly travelling in between Hyperplanes

Re: Help Create Fino!

Post by GeckoZY »

Looking at other stuff that are similar/varies between the brothers, I've noticed that Fido has bent ears while Joey and Bino has drooped ears. Bino has a darker brown fur patch at his back, while both Joey and Fido seems to have no patches. All of them have different eye colors; brown, green and blue. All three have gray paws and brown nose. Other than what you have mentioned, that seems to be it.

How about an inverted F, or an O? It's pretty simple and somewhat fits the theme.
Want to split a pineapple?
Collaborative Fan-Fiction:
El Psy Congroo
Duster

Post by Duster »

GeckoZY wrote:Looking at other stuff that are similar/varies between the brothers, I've noticed that Fido has bent ears while Joey and Bino has drooped ears. Bino has a darker brown fur patch at his back, while both Joey and Fido seems to have no patches. All of them have different eye colors; brown, green and blue. All three have gray paws and brown nose. Other than what you have mentioned, that seems to be it.

How about an inverted F, or an O? It's pretty simple and somewhat fits the theme.
Those are some good ideas, maybe Fino should have an overall darker fur color than the other brothers. Perhaps his eyes could be a stark color to complement his darker color scheme. Since Rick has Bino, Fido and Joey's eyes and collars the same color now, Fino's collar would have to match his eyes. Fino's hair should either be related to Bino's or Fido's look, or be something all together unique to Fino?

Anyway what color should Fino's eyes and collar be? Yellow or red maybe?
Last edited by Duster on Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Extraordinary things happen to Extraordinary people!
also . . .
I'm the Best in the West!
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

His eyes can change at will from red, yellow and green. He got hired several times for traffic control.
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

I'm telling you, hyenas ARE canines too!
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

I say he has pale clue eyes, like small icebergs in a sea of white. His fur is a deep amber, with light, creamy brown patches on his chest and over his left eye. Kind of an inverted color scheme from his brothers. As for the collar, I say carry it further and give him the diamond shape, but with the infinity symbol. Why? Because he can do ANYTHING.
My characters
Everybody has a story to tell. What's yours?
Mickey the Luxray
Location: Why-Cant-We-Be-Given-Some-Consarned-Snow-Ville, USA

Post by Mickey the Luxray »

I say his collar should be black. More befitting of a shady and benevolent personality. Ice blue at volume looks too close to baby blue. Some might mistake him for some childish thing.
Also, I like the idea of a dark-furred Fino, but I don't think inverting his brothers' color scheme just to differ him is a good idea. It might make him look cobbled together by an amateur rather than developed by a section of a fandom, or it might look like we weren't interested enough to come up with a more original color scheme. If he's going to have spots, they'll have to be darker than his fur.

Mod edit: Remember to use the edit button if you want to add information and yours is the most recent post.
If you want my number, it's #804080.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

Fino looks buff every day. moreso than usual.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Mickey the Luxray

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:Fino looks buff every day. moreso than usual.
What do you mean by "moreso than usual"?

On another note, I think I need to draw up some sort of concept art for Fino, so as to be able to describe how I feel he should be without having to go too much at length with my words.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Mickey the Luxray wrote:
well, I suppose this needs explaining for the newer members. For a while, any time Fido, a character who is pretty buff usually, showed up in a comic, someone felt the need to comment on how buff he looked, stating "Fido sure looks buff today. moreso than usual."

eventually, we made it into a running gag where we replaced Fido's name with the name of any character appearing in that day's strip, even if they don't usually look buff or look buff in the strip the comment was applied to.

the most recent use:
Argent in the comic discussion thread wrote:Miles looks pretty buff lately, moreso than usual.

Just like Fino, it's an inside joke amongst the members of the forums, though this one started in the comments section.

so by stating that Fino always looks more buff than usual, I'm saying his buffness level is always above his own average, which is impossible. but that's the fun of it.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Mickey the Luxray

Ah, I see now.
TheOne
Location: Trapped in the center of the Galaxy. Need a starship to get out!

Post by TheOne »

Blast it, someone just HAD to link to tvtropes...
And though it's been said, it seems Fino-isms are like Chuck Norris-isms...

Black eyes with a black collar. Same general fur pattern as his bros, but a darker shade. Sunglasses must be reflective. Ears should be controllable, but 90% of the time only the top 1/2 inch is slacking down.
Dag nabbed petty annoyances...
FritzyBeat

Post by FritzyBeat »

Just a heads up, I'll be browsing through this topic again and working on a design for Fino later today. I'll post it up here as soon as its finished and you guys can let me know what needs to be changed and what needs to stay the same.
Also, I'm eventually going to need someone to help colour Fino's design, because (in case none of you browse the Art thread) I am an absolute failure at colouring anything =P That is why all I ever do are pencils... :P

Anyway, just to add a little to the discussion in this forum, I believe this panel is on topic:
I think we can all assume who Bino is REALLY talking about in this strip...
RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:
Mickey the Luxray wrote:
well, I suppose this needs explaining for the newer members. For a while, any time Fido, a character who is pretty buff usually, showed up in a comic, someone felt the need to comment on how buff he looked, stating "Fido sure looks buff today. moreso than usual."

eventually, we made it into a running gag where we replaced Fido's name with the name of any character appearing in that day's strip, even if they don't usually look buff or look buff in the strip the comment was applied to.

the most recent use:
Argent in the comic discussion thread wrote:Miles looks pretty buff lately, moreso than usual.

Just like Fino, it's an inside joke amongst the members of the forums, though this one started in the comments section.

so by stating that Fino always looks more buff than usual, I'm saying his buffness level is always above his own average, which is impossible. but that's the fun of it.
I actually never knew that joke, that is AWESOME! I'll be sure to remember to use it next time the opportunity arrises 8-)
Fino is coming, and he's bringing moon pizza.
Duster

Post by Duster »

TheMobian wrote:Just a heads up, I'll be browsing through this topic again and working on a design for Fino later today. I'll post it up here as soon as its finished and you guys can let me know what needs to be changed and what needs to stay the same.
Also, I'm eventually going to need someone to help colour Fino's design, because (in case none of you browse the Art thread) I am an absolute failure at colouring anything =P That is why all I ever do are pencils... :P
@The Mobian It is really awesome of you to take on such a project!

On topic: Fino to me should be built more or less like Fido, with little hints of Bino to spice things up!
also . . .
Mickey the Luxray

So he'll be buff with a pencil neck? Seems legit...

Also, I just had the idea that maybe Fino could be a SWAT dog? Kind of spec-ops or such?
FritzyBeat

Post by FritzyBeat »

Hey guys, sorry for the delay, but I've been a little busier then expected with art and the whole works (commissions and stuff). Also, I've been spending a fair bit of time studying how Rick Griffin constructs and draws his characters, that way I can draw Fino less in my style, and more in his.

So anyway, I'm drawing fino right now (a rough sketch anyway) without any accessories (meaning I'll just be focusing on his fur pattern and basic design), and I have a question.
Have we really come up with any real fur pattern for Fino yet? =/
I mean, I came up with the idea of him having patches over both his eyes, but has anyone else an idea of an awesome fur pattern for Fino?
Argent

Post by Argent »

Raccoon mask?
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
FritzyBeat

Post by FritzyBeat »

Argent wrote:Raccoon mask?
Hmmm, nah. I already like the idea of Fino having two separate patches on his eyes. What with Fido having one on one eye, Joey having one patch over the other eye, and Bino having no patches... But if anybody disagrees, I can easily change it.
GeckoZY
Location: 16 Dimensions, 13th Hyperplane No. 47.54,3674.06,6378.13; Randomly travelling in between Hyperplanes

Post by GeckoZY »

How about a more complex fur patch for his back? Like a t or an x shaped patch?
El Psy Congroo
FritzyBeat

Post by FritzyBeat »

GeckoZY wrote:How about a more complex fur patch for his back? Like a t or an x shaped patch?
Hmmm... Thats a good idea. Although I can't really put something like that into this picture in-particular (since he's facing forward, and you can't really see his back in this sketch), but I can definitely work on stylizing his fur patterns a little :)
FritzyBeat

Post by FritzyBeat »

Finished the first sketch! It only took me a couple minutes to do, but still, its something...
Now feel free to tear it apart, and voice you're opinions on what this design needs! ;) (even if you think what it needs is a complete redo :P )
Oh sweet lord I need to fix those toes... he looks like a frog XP
GeckoZY

Re: Help Create Fino: First sketch is up!

Post by GeckoZY »

Pointed Shades? Infinity Tag? Elbow and Knee Patches? Nice! Image
El Psy Congroo
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

huh... I guess each pet doesn't need a unique tag, cause this guy has infinity too
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Fino is everywhere :shock:
Duster

Post by Duster »

TheMobian wrote:Finished the first sketch! It only took me a couple minutes to do, but still, its something...
Now feel free to tear it apart, and voice you're opinions on what this design needs! ;) (even if you think what it needs is a complete redo
I like the initial design TheMobian! Of course there are things that we could alter, but all and all not a bad start!
RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:huh... I guess each pet doesn't need a unique tag, cause this guy has infinity too
Guess you have a point there. Perhaps together we can brainstorm a tag that is worthy of Fino, one that is unique and stands out.
also . . .
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Duster wrote: Guess you have a point there. Perhaps together we can brainstorm a tag that is worthy of Fino, one that is unique and stands out.
Fino's tag is his own face, because Fino is the only tag worthy of Fino
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Either BF or FB. since, well, he's basically Fido and Bino combined, but totally cool.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Mickey the Luxray

Random thing that pertains to Fino: I was creating a Pokemon Mystery Dungeon universe in which the school districts pretty much ruled the land. One of the initial names for the antagonizing school district was the Fino School District. This was before I even discovered Housepets, let alone Fino himself. 8c My mind secretly worships him.
I changed it to Verity National School District later on, though.

Also, I like this design, but the tag seems out of place on him. I've noticed that the tags on each pet seem to be formed to their body structure and fur patterns so that they "fit," per se. The tag looks too broad for Fino's body shape, and it draws too much attention from the rest of him.

It wouldn't be wrong to create my own interpretation and post it here, would it? I don't want to offend anyone by going against their views on what Fino should look like...
FritzyBeat

Post by FritzyBeat »

Ok guys, I listened to your complaints and compliments and constructed a revamped version of the sketch I posted previously:
Notable Changes include:
- Strength increase. I made Fino a little buffer in this pic, he looked a little thin and weak in the first sketch, and I wanted to fill him out a little more.
- New collar alert. Who needs simple triangle designs when you've got a SOLID GOLD COLLAR. I figure since someone mentioned before that Fino is a immortal (Like Pete and Dragon I guess?) who lives among the housepets of Babylon Gardens, that he have some sort of awesome accessory to show off. Does it have any mystical powers you ask? Phht, I don't know, you tell me ;)
- No more Tail design. While I still like the idea of a design on his tail (and maybe his back or ears), I didn't think what was their before was fitting in any way).
- No Tag. And before anyone asks, no he is not going to be tag-less.. I just thought it best that I avoid drawing the tag on there until we have a good idea of what its going to be of.
Mickey the Luxray wrote:It wouldn't be wrong to create my own interpretation and post it here, would it? I don't want to offend anyone by going against their views on what Fino should look like...
Of course you can! As I've said before, this isn't just a pet project of mine (no pun intended), this is something I hope the whole forum will work on together. Whether that means suggesting ideas, or drawing them yourself.

All I am trying to do now is create a basic base that we can all work from. If we all just started drawing Fino our own ways from start to finish, we would have a bunch of completely different-looking housepets, and no one would be able to look at each one individually and say "Yep, thats Fino", because they'd all look different. If we have a base to work from, at least he will be distinguishable as Fino no matter what design ideas we put him through.

That being said, what does everyone think of this base for Fino? Any complaints/compliments?
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Re: Help Create Fino: Revamped sketch is up!

Post by copper »

Not a fan of the patches actually. You can keep them and he will look alright, but just on the elbows and back of the knees looks kind of strange to me...

As for the tag, maybe something from Cuneiform? It is one of the most ancient forms of writing. I believe it might suit our Fino well.
My characters
FritzyBeat

Post by FritzyBeat »

copper wrote:Not a fan of the patches actually. You can keep them and he will look alright, but just on the elbows and back of the knees looks kind of strange to me...
Fair enough. I think a few people are split when it comes to the arm patches. SOme like it, some don't. I'll wait a little while and see what everyone else thinks about them before outright throwing them out the widow though.
The only thing I'm worried about is making him too basic. I mean, this being the base sketch I want him to look some basic of course. But being the All powerful immortal that is... well... Fino, I want his design to stand out among the other housepets, even in its most basic form (fur pattern, etc...).
copper wrote:As for the tag, maybe something from Cuneiform? It is one of the most ancient forms of writing. I believe it might suit our Fino well.
Hmmmmm, thats a really good idea. And I agree with you, it does fit him rather well.
I'll be sure to take a good look through that link :)
Mickey the Luxray

I agree, the patches just look odd, although they aren't very in-your-face to me. In fact, I had no idea that they were there until copper pointed them out 8S

Also, why do I imagine Fino to be the kind of guy that speaks in a Bond-villain accent? Let's give him a big ol' trench coat! that actually sounds like a good idea
_Stu_
Banner Artist

Post by _Stu_ »

Fino is particularly cool O_O

And Mobian, you draw magnificently
My webcomics! Read and subscribe if you like them (or one of them), and don't forget to vote on TopWebComics!

Kateleo007

Post by Kateleo007 »

Here's my idea of what Fino looks like. What do you guys think? BTW this is in my art style, not Rick's.
Attachments
Fino.jpg
Fino.jpg (36.3 KiB) Viewed 16779 times
Fino.jpg
Fino.jpg (36.3 KiB) Viewed 16779 times

Jack the Eevee and Barb the Buizel

George "Geo" Walker......S-8 P-4 E-7 C-7 I-6 A-7 L-3
Thank you kurowolfe for the banner!

3DS Friend Code: 1006 0495 4065
Mickey the Luxray

It's a bit small, I can't really see him that well. Have you tried posting the picture on a site like dA and linking to it here? That's usually what I do.
FritzyBeat

Post by FritzyBeat »

_Stu_ wrote:Fino is particularly cool O_O

And Mobian, you draw magnificently
Haha, thanks Stu! I wasn't expecting any artistic compliments on this thread :D
Kateleo007 wrote:Here's my idea of what Fino looks like. What do you guys think? BTW this is in my art style, not Rick's.
I think it looks pretty good, although I must say that I was rather fond of the idea for Fino having a golden collar...
I'm also not that fond of the "Thug Fino", but the other two look great, and that planet tag you thought up of is rather neat =)
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Both the sketch, and the idea of a shapeshifting tag, are really appealing to me. Carry on!
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

I'm telling you, hyenas ARE canines too!
_Stu_
Banner Artist

Post by _Stu_ »

TheMobian wrote:Haha, thanks Stu! I wasn't expecting any artistic compliments on this thread :D
It's well deserved, i like your style a lot!
My webcomics! Read and subscribe if you like them (or one of them), and don't forget to vote on TopWebComics!

valerio

Post by valerio »

TheMobian wrote:Ok guys, I listened to your complaints and compliments and constructed a revamped version of the sketch I posted previously:
Notable Changes include:
- Strength increase. I made Fino a little buffer in this pic, he looked a little thin and weak in the first sketch, and I wanted to fill him out a little more.
- New collar alert. Who needs simple triangle designs when you've got a SOLID GOLD COLLAR. I figure since someone mentioned before that Fino is a immortal (Like Pete and Dragon I guess?) who lives among the housepets of Babylon Gardens, that he have some sort of awesome accessory to show off. Does it have any mystical powers you ask? Phht, I don't know, you tell me ;)
- No more Tail design. While I still like the idea of a design on his tail (and maybe his back or ears), I didn't think what was their before was fitting in any way).
- No Tag. And before anyone asks, no he is not going to be tag-less.. I just thought it best that I avoid drawing the tag on there until we have a good idea of what its going to be of.
Mickey the Luxray wrote:It wouldn't be wrong to create my own interpretation and post it here, would it? I don't want to offend anyone by going against their views on what Fino should look like...
Of course you can! As I've said before, this isn't just a pet project of mine (no pun intended), this is something I hope the whole forum will work on together. Whether that means suggesting ideas, or drawing them yourself.

All I am trying to do now is create a basic base that we can all work from. If we all just started drawing Fino our own ways from start to finish, we would have a bunch of completely different-looking housepets, and no one would be able to look at each one individually and say "Yep, thats Fino", because they'd all look different. If we have a base to work from, at least he will be distinguishable as Fino no matter what design ideas we put him through.

That being said, what does everyone think of this base for Fino? Any complaints/compliments?
My hero! :D
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

valerio wrote:
TheMobian wrote:Ok guys, I listened to your complaints and compliments and constructed a revamped version of the sketch I posted previously:
Notable Changes include:

My hero! :D

Oh no, I think someone wants to add Fino to his fic... :roll:
My characters
valerio

Post by valerio »

Are you kidding?! That has been in my mind the moment we started talking about him!
It will be. So. EPIC.
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

:lol: Of course. Just remember the basis of Fino... he is a fourth brother....
My characters