Discussion: Video Games

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

exranio

Re: Discussion: Video Games

Post by exranio »

there's really no particularly good reason to deny the game on the console.

Only from the gamer standpoint of it "being a horrible game" and even as a gamer. That's a pretty stupid reason.
Nintendo still makes money from the liscence and them making games for the console. Secondly regardless of weather we think they're any good or not the games are bought because the company knows exactly who they are marketing to. When they make imagine X its not a matter of making a good game its matter of making a game to be perfectly marketed to the average feminine little girl. In which it apparently succeeds. (I can't be bothered to actually check how well it sells to the audiance but based on the amount there are I will assume it does well.)

So from that standpoint. There is no logical reason for them to stop making the games nor one for Nintendo to not allow it on their console.

Of course they could try to make a good game... but they don't have too as long as their audience eats it up. Children are easy to sell to. They're in the easy end of the video game market that has far less risk as long as they can afford marketing.
So check out my Deviant art http://exranion.deviantart.com/ It has ponies, furries, and the link to my tumblr!
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

You know what I would REALLY love?! A sequel to Might and Magic: dark Messiah, Or, at least, I would really enjoy another medieval fantasy first person shooter. Ooooh, one with gnolls, too (still with the crazy gnollbsession from last week)!
Another first person shooter like Dishonoured, which I haven't played yet, is still awesome to me, though.
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

I'm telling you, hyenas ARE canines too!
Mickey the Luxray
Location: Why-Cant-We-Be-Given-Some-Consarned-Snow-Ville, USA

Post by Mickey the Luxray »

Silly Zealot wrote:I would really enjoy another medieval fantasy first person shooter.
Me and my bro are conceptualizing a fantasy medieval-era RPG right now, and it'll probably include hand-cannons as a weapon. So technically it could be counted as an FPS... I think?
Last edited by Mickey the Luxray on Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you want my number, it's #804080.
TarkaTarquol

Post by TarkaTarquol »

*shrugs

Maybe it is just Nintendo is focused on a younger audience. Ah well. Sony is keeping me very much entertained.
Mickey the Luxray

Technically, Nintendo is the entry level to video games, being the cheapest platform one can buy. At the top end would be the gaming PC, which is generally much more capable graphically and in speed than, say, a PS3.
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Mickey the Luxray wrote:Me and my bro are conceptualizing a fantasy medieval-era RPG right now, and it'll probably include hand-cannons as a weapon. So technically it could be counted as an FPS... I think?

Technically, Nintendo is the entry level to video games, being the cheapest platform one can buy. At the top end would be the gaming PC, which is generally much more capable graphically and in speed than, say, a PS3.
I think I mant to say "first person perspective", more than "shooter", as in a game played through the first person point of view, but doesn't necesarilly involve fire arms.

My father never let us (lettuce?) have gaming consoles, claiming that there was no reason to spend money on hardware that only serves for playing games, when PCs can do that and so much more. As I grew, I got angry every time a super awesome-looking game came out but it was denied from appearing on PC. Needless to say, I never got to enjoy, know and play all the nintendo classics, or any other non PC hit. Now, bitter and resentfull, I spend day and night boycotting and sabotaging gaming corporations and individual game consoles. If you ever catch your x-box malfunctioning, or your gamecube suddenly shutting down, now you know why: The Silly Zealot....
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

The Grey Wolverine

Post by The Grey Wolverine »

TarkaTarquol wrote:*shrugs

Maybe it is just Nintendo is focused on a younger audience. Ah well. Sony is keeping me very much entertained.
To be fair, game companies like Nintendo, Sony, Valve, EA, whatever, they are here to make money. You buy their product, they make money, should quality be something they should strive for? Yes, that keeps customers, but lets face it, they want money, and if the "Imagine" series is popular, they will make more of them because of the fact that its a business man. Its kind of like the Call of Duty series, it doesn't matter how much you may not like it, they will make more simply because they make money, and that's what a buisness does.
Please click this link and support me on FA. http://www.furaffinity.net/user/greywolverene/
exranio

Post by exranio »

That's everything I just said but with less detail!
So check out my Deviant art http://exranion.deviantart.com/ It has ponies, furries, and the link to my tumblr!
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Nintendo doesn't directly focus on younger or "entry-level" players, they just are trying to have stuff that appeals to people of all demographics. Which means they want their consoles to be accessible.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
TarkaTarquol

Post by TarkaTarquol »

Sleet wrote:Nintendo doesn't directly focus on younger or "entry-level" players, they just are trying to have stuff that appeals to people of all demographics. Which means they want their consoles to be accessible.
True, but the amount of M rated games are still kinda low compared to the other two. I can really only think of a few. I'm 20 now, and my attitudes towards what I want to play has changed. That's basically all that I can say. Plus, if by complete accident, I'm so glad I went with the PS3, cuz I started to play a game I haven't in a few months: Ni no Kuni. Yes, it was originally on the Nintendo DS, but it's a Japanese exclusive. I'm not an importer, nor do I know the rarity of the game.

I always kinda lol whenever they say it's kinda like Pokemon. I can see why they'd say that, but I still lol. X3
exranio

Post by exranio »

that s not Nintendo thats the developers.

Demographic wise. While Nintendo isn't actively going out to seem like the Disney of video games its consoles are far more associated with more colorful and kid friendly games despite also have stuff like Killer7,No More Heroes and Mad World. It is viewed as the more kid friendly of the three.

Mostly because of marketing. When Nintendo markets their console they try to market to their idea of fun. Which is more colorful and generally uses more of their own games when advertising. On the other end when Sony and Microsoft market their consoles (in america anyway) they use gritty games like Halo, Gears, and Killzone. Which makes them appeal more to the "hardcore"crowd (I fail to see how playing more gritty games makes you hardcore). So from a money making perspective it makes more sense to release games like that on Xbox and PS3 because that's where the people who will buy those are.

Xbox does that the most becuase its an american company and mostly appeals to the american market. So darker more gritty games are their bread and butter. Sony still appeals a lot to the Japanese market. So it gets those kind of games along with plenty of anime styled stuff and JRPGs and plenty of japan only exclusives. Nintendo kinda markets itself the same way in both countries which results in the general Nintendo image.

TL,DR
Xbox and PS3 just market themselves to that crowd more. While Nintendo markets themselves more generally.
TarkaTarquol

Post by TarkaTarquol »

exranio wrote:TL,DR
Xbox and PS3 just market themselves to that crowd more. While Nintendo markets themselves more generally.
Which is just the crowd I now mingle with. It happens, I guess. Nintendo did keep me entertained as a kid, at least.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

TarkaTarquol wrote:
Sleet wrote:Nintendo doesn't directly focus on younger or "entry-level" players, they just are trying to have stuff that appeals to people of all demographics. Which means they want their consoles to be accessible.
True, but the amount of M rated games are still kinda low compared to the other two. I can really only think of a few. I'm 20 now, and my attitudes towards what I want to play has changed. That's basically all that I can say. Plus, if by complete accident, I'm so glad I went with the PS3, cuz I started to play a game I haven't in a few months: Ni no Kuni. Yes, it was originally on the Nintendo DS, but it's a Japanese exclusive. I'm not an importer, nor do I know the rarity of the game.

I always kinda lol whenever they say it's kinda like Pokemon. I can see why they'd say that, but I still lol. X3
ESRB rating is not the same thing as target audience. There are many rated M games targeted at 17-year-olds (or often much younger, though the developers would never admit it) because they're too simple, immature or vapid for many older players. There are also rated E games that kids would want nothing to do with.

ESRB ratings just say what age range the game is generally inappropriate to play outside of. It says nothing about who the game was designed for.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
TarkaTarquol

Post by TarkaTarquol »

Now you guys know why I never joined up for speech and debate. I go into a rant, and then get it picked apart for its flaws, which I actually accept. With me, it's just "Say first thing that comes to mind."

^^;
Punchy

Post by Punchy »

I'm with Playstation all the way.
The Super Nintendo and N64 had some great games that I still love (and lots of wonderful memories), but the Gamecube and Wii didn't do much for me. There weren't many games that I enjoyed.
Panda Panda Panda
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

It's amazing how in this day and age that despite how much my brother and his friends love call of duty, they drop the hat once they see me beat Super Mario Brothers 3 on the SNES in less than two hours. (thanks to Super Mario All Stars =P)

They are now actively trying to emulate me!

Oh, and although I don't have much to input at this time about the console struggles, I do have to say that Nintendo's general marketing is to not overthink it. Final Fantasy was a great nintendo game back in the SNES days, but one thing i noticed is Nintendo doesn't seem to let religious restrictions on Nintendo games slow them down anymore, but that was probably why series like Final Fantasy were moved to Playstation in the first place. But Wii/Nintendo in general has it's own large family friendly and classical cast, so it's not like they needed companies like that at all.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Final Fantasy moved to Playstation because Square didn't like cartridges holding less space than discs.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Sleet wrote:Final Fantasy moved to Playstation because Square didn't like cartridges holding less space than discs.
... That can also be true. >.>

Granted though, when they started going into the whole swearing and angel/demon stuff more when moral guardians were a big thing back then, the Playstation jump just seemed like a good excuse to avoid putting games on Nintendo back then, but then I remember Conker's Bad Fur Day and Duke Nukem 64. <.<
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
TinFoilHats

Post by TinFoilHats »

Not to change the subject, but this thought popped into my mind earlier today: what would Peanut think if he played EarthBound?
I AM RUBBER, YOU ARE GLUE!!!!
Mickey the Luxray

TinFoilHats wrote:Not to change the subject, but this thought popped into my mind earlier today: what would Peanut think if he played EarthBound?
The below quote would be the best explanation:
Peanut never wrote:OH DOG WHY IS THERE A GAS THING AND WHY IS IT SO SCARY QnQ
Last edited by Mickey the Luxray on Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lasthunter

Post by lasthunter »

the end result will be Armageddon.....goodbye little people.... :shock:
i am the one who shall fight the mods, i am the one who shall find the loop holes and hidden ways, i am the one who shall lead with the flag, i am part of the rebellion, and i am its weapon.
TinFoilHats

Post by TinFoilHats »

Mickey the Luxray wrote:The below quote would be the best explanation:
What does he mean by "GAS THING"? Does he mean Giygas?
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

GameCobra wrote:
Sleet wrote:Final Fantasy moved to Playstation because Square didn't like cartridges holding less space than discs.
... That can also be true. >.>

Granted though, when they started going into the whole swearing and angel/demon stuff more when moral guardians were a big thing back then, the Playstation jump just seemed like a good excuse to avoid putting games on Nintendo back then, but then I remember Conker's Bad Fur Day and Duke Nukem 64. <.<
That's not part of it at all. Far more inappropriate things than Final Fantasy persisted on the Nintendo 64 and it's not like moral guardians only presided over Nintendo.
Mickey the Luxray

TinFoilHats wrote:
Mickey the Luxray wrote:The below quote would be the best explanation:
What does he mean by "GAS THING"? Does he mean Giygas?
Yep. 'Tis Giygas.
TinFoilHats

Post by TinFoilHats »

Mickey the Luxray wrote:Yep. 'Tis Giygas.
H'yeah, I figured. And just the fact that his final form looks like an ultrasound scan of a fetus makes it even creepier(oop, did I just spoil the game for some people? Sorry 'bout that X) )
lasthunter

Post by lasthunter »

anyone remember galaga?
i am the one who shall fight the mods, i am the one who shall find the loop holes and hidden ways, i am the one who shall lead with the flag, i am part of the rebellion, and i am its weapon.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I've played it a few times in arcades!
TinFoilHats

Post by TinFoilHats »

Dude, I played that game to death in Namco Collection Vol. 1 for ps1
Mickey the Luxray

If there's one thing I hate about Galaga (and pretty much every Namco game in existence, for that matter) it's its innate ability to bring out the rage in me.
TinFoilHats

Post by TinFoilHats »

Heres something to cram into your ear holes: a guitar arrangement of the theme song for Journey to Silius.
--->http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JK2zwOAWAoE
Last edited by TinFoilHats on Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lasthunter

Post by lasthunter »

i found out that the halo halo mjolnir mix brings out my rage quite nicely. :twisted:
TarkaTarquol

Post by TarkaTarquol »

lasthunter wrote:i found out that the halo halo mjolnir mix brings out my rage quite nicely. :twisted:
Doesn't bring out my rage. Let's me know that I gotta start kicking some major tail to live up to the epicness of the music. X3

In other news, Ni no Kuni still enthralls me to no end. ^^;
Mickey the Luxray

I have some news of my own- I've gotten to the Final GP with Racing Team Solvalou in RRT4. Whether or not I'll win is a question to be answered on Friday. But if the last race of the Second Heat was any indicator then I've got my work cut out for me- especially on Heaven and Hell. *grumble* I hate that track so much.

Then again, Out of Blue isn't exactly an Assoluto-friendly track in the first place...
lasthunter

Post by lasthunter »

and like that you lost me.............
Mickey the Luxray

It's okay, few gamers actually know about Ridge Racer. It's one of those games that doesn't get as much popularity as it should.

I'll say this now: The first Ridge Racer was the game that LITERALLY kick-started the PlayStation and proved it to be a capable console. If it weren't for Ridge Racer there would be no PlayStation as we know it.
lasthunter

Post by lasthunter »

i think i might just look into this game..... :D
Mickey the Luxray

If you check your local GameStop you might be able to pick up a used copy of Ridge Racer 7 for something like $12. Or, if you don't have a PS3 but you have an X360 you can probably find a copy of Ridge Racer 6 somewhere.
lasthunter

Post by lasthunter »

k. lets see if i like it...
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Ridge Racer series? I'll stick to Happy Wheels, thank you very much!

Poncho the wolf

Post by Poncho the wolf »

my favourite, metal gear solid of course! hideo kojima is a master. i personally like snake eater
I'm shaken, but I'm not stirred