Favorite MOVIES (?)

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Radio Blue Heart

Re: Favorite MOVIES (?)

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

Penwrite wrote:
Radio Blue Heart wrote:I have the report for you. I saw "Apollo 18". It was not that great. even though it was a very intriguing premise and it had a few good moments, it was kind of dull.

On a high note, I found a copy of a movie that I have not seen in years and it was only $3.

"Tales From The Crypt Presents: Demon Knight", or just "Demon Knight" depending on the print you see. For those unfamiliar with it, it is the feature film spin-off of the "Tales From The Crypt" television series. Unlike the series, this is an original story and not based on the comics. Its about a man who has a key that contains the blood of Christ being pursued by demons as he takes refuge in an old hotel, that used to be a Catholic church, full of misfits and outsiders. It has scares and laughs, especially the bookend sequences with the Cryptkeeper.
Ooh! I saw that movie years ago on TV! I never managed to catch the first 20 minutes or so, so I had no idea it was a Crypt movie. Cool!
Definitely give it a repeat viewing. It is worth it! The sequel "Bordello of Blood" is not as good. Then there was a stand alone film called "Ritual" that was turned into a Tales From The Crypt film when they added Cryptkeeper bookend sequences. Here a neat little factoid. Originally Peter Jackson's "The Frighteners" was going to be a Tales From The Crypt film, but then the studio decided to make it a stand alone film on its own merit. Then there were "Dead Easy" (aka "Fat Tuesday") and "Body Count" which were ultimately never made.

Penwrite wrote:Watched The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly with my brother this evening. Best. Western. Ever.
You might want to check out "El Topo" by Alejandro Jodorowsky. That is my choice for best western ever.
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Yeah, I've seen Bordello of Blood. Not much of a fan.

As for that western, I'll be sure to check it out. ;)
Punchy

Post by Punchy »

You should also watch The Professionals (1966) and The Magnificent Seven (1960) when you get the chance.
I used to hate westerns until I saw those movies.
Panda Panda Panda
Radio Blue Heart

If liked Sergio Leone's Man with No Name Trilogy, you might also want to check out "Once Upon A Time In The West" and "Duck, You Sucker!" (aka "Fist Full Of Dynamite")

Some other good ones are the original "Django", "A Bullet For The General", "Run, Man, Run!", "Death Rides A Horse", "Four For The Apocalypse", "Silver Saddle" and "Cut-Throats Nine" for starters. These are some very good Italian western films.
-Virgil
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Has anyone else seen Django unchained yet? because you totally should.
I think in Non-sequiturs

"I told you not to put metal in the science oven! What'd you do that for?"

Trash boiz
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Here's a movie I'm sure will end up on my favorites list.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ent ... ref=search
Radio Blue Heart

I saw two movies today. I saw "The Hobbit" for the third time and I saw "Texas Chainsaw 3D".

And it ROCKED!!!

First off, it is not a remake or a reboot or any of that nonsense. It is a direct sequel to the original 1974 film! It even starts with footage from the original and picks up the very next day! It was awesome! It had an interesting story and lots of beautiful gore! A healthy mix of CGI and practical effects.

In the words of film critic Joe Bob Briggs, "Four Stars! Check it out!"
-Virgil
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:I saw two movies today. I saw "The Hobbit" for the third time and I saw "Texas Chainsaw 3D".

And it ROCKED!!!

First off, it is not a remake or a reboot or any of that nonsense. It is a direct sequel to the original 1974 film! It even starts with footage from the original and picks up the very next day! It was awesome! It had an interesting story and lots of beautiful gore! A healthy mix of CGI and practical effects.

I was debating whether or not to go shell out 10 or so bucks to see it but I might just have to now that I know it's not a remake/rehash/butchery of the original.
(pun intended)
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
Radio Blue Heart

Seth wrote:
Radio Blue Heart wrote:I saw two movies today. I saw "The Hobbit" for the third time and I saw "Texas Chainsaw 3D".

And it ROCKED!!!

I was debating whether or not to go shell out 10 or so bucks to see it but I might just have to now that I know it's not a remake/rehash/butchery of the original.
(pun intended)
You won't regret it. It was awesome. I might go see it again.
-Virgil
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

My friend and I watched the invention of lying yesterday. It start ricky gervasis and is probably one of the funniest/most touching things I've ever seen. Awesome flick.
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Just finished watching Goodfellas for the first time. That was very good.
Onlythebassist

Post by Onlythebassist »

Penwrite wrote:Just finished watching Goodfellas for the first time. That was very good.
One of the great gangster movies for sure - Ray Liotta makes that film so believable, same with De Niro. Love Scarface as well, but there's something about the way Scorsese writes it that puts it at the pinnacle.

Any Tarantino fans in the building? I'm hoping to see his newest, Django Unchained, in the coming weeks
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

*jumps up and down* Ooh, ooh, me, me! I'm a Tarantino fan!
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Onlythebassist wrote:
Penwrite wrote:Just finished watching Goodfellas for the first time. That was very good.
One of the great gangster movies for sure - Ray Liotta makes that film so believable, same with De Niro. Love Scarface as well, but there's something about the way Scorsese writes it that puts it at the pinnacle.

Any Tarantino fans in the building? I'm hoping to see his newest, Django Unchained, in the coming weeks
Tarantino's my favorite director nd one of my top 20 or so actors. So yeah I'd call myself a fan.
Go see Django on the biggest screen you can find it's amazing.
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
Punchy

Post by Punchy »

Onlythebassist wrote:
Don't forget Joe Pesci as Tommy DeVito, "Funny how? Funny like a clown? I'm here to amuse you, make you laugh?"
It's my favorite gangster film and I've just about seen them all.
I also love how it ends with Sid Vicious singing "My Way'. :D

I went on reading through about the real people the movie/book was based on. Joe Pesci's characters real name was Thomas "Two-Gun Tommy" DeSimone. He wasn't shot in the back of the head like in the movie. He was reported missing in '79 and then declared legally dead in 1990.
I think I'll be picking up a copy of the book sometime soon.
Panda Panda Panda
Radio Blue Heart

My favorite gangster movie has always been "King of New York". Christopher Walken was awesome in it.

I just got a three pack of zombie movies. It came with "Flesheater", "Burial Ground, Nights of Terror" and "Zombi Holocaust". I have seen them all before, but it is nice to see them again. I love zombie movies.
-Virgil
D-Singer

Post by D-Singer »

Adding Chronicle among my favorite sci-fi movies.

Only because I'm a fan of 'found-film' style, and wish I had powers like those kids...
Richardson Valley RP: Blood
Edge City RP: Zaya & Cruiser
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

D-Singer wrote:Adding Chronicle among my favorite sci-fi movies.

Only because I'm a fan of 'found-film' style, and wish I had powers like those kids...
That was on my list of favorite films of 2012. :) I've never seen a superhero film like it before, and I can't wait for the sequel.
D-Singer

Post by D-Singer »

Penwrite wrote:
D-Singer wrote:Adding Chronicle among my favorite sci-fi movies.

That was on my list of favorite films of 2012. :) I've never seen a superhero film like it before, and I can't wait for the sequel.
They're making a sequel? Sick.
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Well, it's in the works at least, can't be sure it'll make it to production until it actually enters production, heh.

If I were making a sequel to Chronicle, I would ditch the found-footage aspect. It worked beautifully in the first film, but with a second film it's time to open up the world a little, know what I mean?
D-Singer

Post by D-Singer »

Taking into account how even in that style, the cameras could fly and levitate, I wouldn’t say that’d be very necessary. The scenes are just as appealing and theatrical, and what’s the point of calling the movie Chronicle without the handheld camera effects?
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

I never said the first film wasn't appealing or theatrical, just that the next film doesn't NEED to be found-footage. The first film was very personal, very close, and the style of the found footage heightened that. The next film doesn't necessarily need to be as close or personal, so it doesn't need to be found footage either, and I would be disappointed if they weakened or otherwise restrained the story just to keep it suitable to found footage. Whatever style suits the story best, I say.

Edit: and on a note vaguely related to the topic of this thread, it seems the Nostalgia Critic is starting his show again. Neat.
Radio Blue Heart

I would have to agree with Penwrite. Making it in a more traditional style frees the narrative up more. Otherwise it could be like "District 9". At times when there was obviously no "camera crew" around to see things first person and it was a more objective camera.

It would be different if it were like "Cannibal Holocaust" or "V/H/S" in which you have objective camera narrative as a framing devise for the subjective camera narrative.
-Virgil
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

So I've decided that Smokey and the Bandit is the funniest movie of all time and my new goal in life is to be as cool as Burt Reynolds.
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Seth wrote:So I've decided that Smokey and the Bandit is the funniest movie of all time and my new goal in life is to be as cool as Burt Reynolds.
You'll have to grow the mustache for that. No, not a mustache. THE mustache.
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Penwrite wrote:
Seth wrote:So I've decided that Smokey and the Bandit is the funniest movie of all time and my new goal in life is to be as cool as Burt Reynolds.
You'll have to grow the mustache for that. No, not a mustache. THE mustache.
Do they make rogaine for the purposes of growing facial hair? :P
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
Radio Blue Heart

Last night I watched a double feature of "H.P. Lovecraft's From Beyond" and "Flesh For Frankenstein" (aka "Andy Warhol's Frankenstein").

Awesome...

Even though director Paul Morrissey says that "Flesh For Frankenstein" is a comedy, it is more often far too grim to have any kind of humor. Along with Hammer's version of "Frankenstein" and "Lady Frankenstein" it is one of the first of the adaptation to have more explicit content. On top of that it was originally in 3D.

"From Beyond" is by the same cast and crew that did the fantastic adaptation of "Re-Animator".
-Virgil
Punchy

Post by Punchy »

Head is just so odd and different, that's why I love it so much. There isn't a plot and there are multiple stories.
Jack Nicholson apparently put the screenplay together while on LSD.

"But it may come three, two, one, two
Or jump from nine to five
And when you see the end in sight
The beginning may arrive

For those who look for meanings
In form as they do fact
We might tell you one thing
But we'd only take it back" - the song in the beginning
Panda Panda Panda
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Finally got around to seeing Casablanca. Wow wow wow that was a great movie.
Duster

Post by Duster »

I watched Lawrence of Arabia the other day. It's a interesting movie but boy is it LONG, heck I thought Return of the King was long but this movie takes the cake!
Extraordinary things happen to Extraordinary people!
also . . .
I'm the Best in the West!
Radio Blue Heart

I finally got to see "The Strangeness"! I read about it in a book about independent horror filmmakers called "Nightmare USA" and I have been trying to track it down since. It was almost a lost film but a print had been discovered recently. For a film that was shot on a $25,000 budget it is a very worthy effort with lots of atmosphere, some genuinely creepy moments and a very cool monster.

It is about a group of people hired to explore a gold mine and assess the possibility of it being reopened. The mine was abandoned and sealed in the 1800s because something was killing the miners after they broke through into a natural cavern system. An earthquake collapses the main entrance to the mine and the group has to go deeper in to find an alternate route around the blockage. That is where they meet a hideous, tentacled, flesh-eating creature.
-Virgil
Punchy

Post by Punchy »

Duster wrote:I watched Lawrence of Arabia the other day. It's a interesting movie but boy is it LONG, heck I thought Return of the King was long but this movie takes the cake!
I know, it's somewhere around 4 hours long!
An absolutely fantastic film, there's nothing quite like it (at least nothing that I've seen). It was beautifully done.
Peter O'Toole should've received an Oscar for his performance, but it went to Gregory Peck for his role as Atticus in To Kill a Mocking Bird.
Another movie to see would be Gandhi, which is also very long.
Panda Panda Panda
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Hey all. I'm thinking of starting a series of articles where I examine mediocre films, discuss their problems, and explain what could be done to push them into genuinely good territory? And by mediocre I mean any movie that missed the mark, anything bad that could be made great with a few changes, and anything that's just so okay it's bland.

Are there any movies fitting that bill any of you would like to suggest? I already have Titan A.E., the fourth Pirates of the Caribbean movie, and Spider-Man 3.
Radio Blue Heart

Penwrite wrote:Hey all. I'm thinking of starting a series of articles where I examine mediocre films, discuss their problems, and explain what could be done to push them into genuinely good territory? And by mediocre I mean any movie that missed the mark, anything bad that could be made great with a few changes, and anything that's just so okay it's bland.

Are there any movies fitting that bill any of you would like to suggest? I already have Titan A.E., the fourth Pirates of the Caribbean movie, and Spider-Man 3.
I would read it! Although I think that "Spider-Man 3" was more to the bad end of the spectrum than mediocre.

Are you going to do this as a tumblr or are you going to start a site? I guess, can I contribute some titles for your consideration to review?
-Virgil
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:
Penwrite wrote:Hey all. I'm thinking of starting a series of articles where I examine mediocre films, discuss their problems, and explain what could be done to push them into genuinely good territory? And by mediocre I mean any movie that missed the mark, anything bad that could be made great with a few changes, and anything that's just so okay it's bland.

I would read it! Although I think that "Spider-Man 3" was more to the bad end of the spectrum than mediocre.

Are you going to do this as a tumblr or are you going to start a site? I guess, can I contribute some titles for your consideration to review?
I would probably post them on my DA, maybe on on Thatguywiththeglasses.com as well. And sure, I'd love to hear your suggestions! :)

Also, I agree that Spider-Man 3 is definitely farther on the band end of the scale, but it would actually be very easy to fix, which is why I'm including it.
Radio Blue Heart

You should totally start a Tumblr blog for your reviews. I know I would follow you!

I guess a whole slate of unremarkable super hero movies. I guess:

"Superman Returns"
"Green Lantern"
both "Fantastic Four" films
"Daredevil" & "Electra"

Just to name a few.
-Virgil
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Sad news today, my friends. Famed film critic Roger Ebert has passed away at the age of 70.

Let us all watch a movie in his honor.
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

You know what was great about Ebert? No matter how bad he deemed a movie, you could always tell how much he loved film itself.

I'm off to watch Terminator 2: Judgment Day.
Radio Blue Heart

I have seen so many movies since this thread went into hibernation. Here's a few that come to mind.

"Rubber"
The best movie about a sentient, killer tire you will ever see! It is absurdist humor and horror at its best!

"Kill List"
A hitman is given one last chance to redeem himself by taking a hit in a town controlled by an evil pagan cult.

I finally saw an uncut version of "Puppet Master". I saw the Italian horror film "Werewolf Woman". and more will come to me later.
-Virgil
lasthunter

Post by lasthunter »

anyone remember Shawn of the dead.....well i found out there is a Juan of the dead movie, if you don't mind reading subtitles the whole movie (and its worth it in my opinion) the go check it out...
i am the one who shall fight the mods, i am the one who shall find the loop holes and hidden ways, i am the one who shall lead with the flag, i am part of the rebellion, and i am its weapon.