Discussion: Video Games

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

IceKitsune

Re: Discussion: Video Games

Post by IceKitsune »

The Grey Wolverine wrote: I like Roguelikes, because I feel that they are challenging, and not entirely unfair, if there was one thing I would like to see is if more games do what Zombi-U did, and have the option for permadeath on more games, I dunno, I like that desperate feeling you get in some when you're close to death, and trying to escape your threats, and I would find it interesting in RPGs, that way more players might have a connection to their character. But hey, that's just me.
What ones do you play? I personally play Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup and Nethack (mostly Stone Soup right now though). I also do love that connection you get to a character when you get on a good run, it makes the game so much more fun because the character feels more like he/she is yours.
Mickey the Luxray
Location: Why-Cant-We-Be-Given-Some-Consarned-Snow-Ville, USA

Post by Mickey the Luxray »

I'm going to go out on a limb and name a game that I doubt most of you have played.

Syndicate (2012)- One of my favorite FPS games of all time. Sure, the campaign could be considered weak and generic, but I found the bosses satisfyingly infuriating (Cayman Global's has a rocket launcher while you get nothing, how does THAT make you feel?) and Kilo was a reasonably interesting protagonist. The Co-Op, though... that's where the game shines. There may be only 10 missions, but besting yourself on each of them becomes a goal that you might even obsess over. My favorites are currently the Colorado and Scandinavia missions.

Also, the little quotes after the completion of some of the missions in the Campaign. They have lots of power in them, especially around the ending.
If you want my number, it's #804080.
Nyaliva

Post by Nyaliva »

TheMobian wrote:Just played through Klonoa: Door to Phantomile, and Klonoa 2: Lunatea's Veil again over the past week.
What can I say? Their still the two greatest games ever to be created on the face of the earth.
Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to cry in the corner to this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drkUZB13ai8
And sit in whimsical fancy while tearing up to this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaBVsUBw7v4
I don't think any other game before, or since, has had music as emotionally stirring as the Klonoa series. ever...
8D 8D 8D
We need to make a Klonoa club or something, there are more people here that even just know about it than I've seen anywhere else. I did the same, after finally finishing Klonoa 2, I decided to replay the first one for the billionth time, all in one day. I was curled up in my blanket as the ending played that afternoon. The best, most incredible ending of any game I've ever played, and it still makes me cry...
Silly Zealot wrote:
TheMobian wrote: I don't think any other game before, or since, has had music as emotionally stirring as the Klonoa series. ever...
Beautifull songs, but I'm sure you'll find the following ones equally enthralling: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJiyivcQb1k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wA6apTszS8c
They were really cool! I'm sure they'd be even more amazing for anyone who's played Dragon Age: Origins. That's what I think lends half the amazingness to the Klonoa songs, the endings are amazing and when you hear the songs, you re-experience the endings.

Similarly, this song is awesome and is only made more awesome by the game it lends itself to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJthgbSQqBY
Feel like you need a friend? I'm happy to talk anytime! :D

I'm on DeviantArt now!
Currently working on: "The Warriors" Book
The Grey Wolverine

Post by The Grey Wolverine »

IceKitsune wrote:What ones do you play? I personally play Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup and Nethack (mostly Stone Soup right now though). I also do love that connection you get to a character when you get on a good run, it makes the game so much more fun because the character feels more like he/she is yours.
So, you might not know about this one, but its called Desktop Dungeons, its weirdly fun in the frustrating way, and I sometimes play it at school actually, did I mention its free?
There was also one I played a bit ago, but it was like Fallout 1, kinda, as a Rougelike called Sword of the Stars: The Pit
Please click this link and support me on FA. http://www.furaffinity.net/user/greywolverene/
TinFoilHats

Post by TinFoilHats »

Well, I have two major gaming related news: Firstly, my parents went to the dump today and they found an original Xbox console in the take-it-or-leave-it bin. So, they brought it home and gave it to me. Although it doesn't have the necessary cables and controllers, I'm thinking about checking my local game store to see if they have all the cables and whatnot that I need to check to see if the system actually works. And secondly, I recently got into MSX gaming courtesy of blueMSX.
I AM RUBBER, YOU ARE GLUE!!!!
Mickey the Luxray

Tinfoil, I recommend you find a retro gaming store- they usually have original parts for most consoles ever made. My local retro store had a BOXED Atari Jaguar (and I'm not even kidding, it had box and all) and a DRAWER full of controllers and other peripherals for Dog-knows-how-many consoles. I bought a Playstation there and they gave me an original controller and cables along with it, so I doubt they'd charge you much for a controller and cables for an Xbox. Unless your store is full of snobs. Then you have Amazon.
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Just found this new free-to-play yet extremely well made action game called Warframe.
It's PG-13, due to graphic violence, so keep your little children away from it's alluting eeeevil!
Fast-paced action shooting rpg co-op game, inside a fictional far future (with the plot not being very elaborated on, unfortunately) where you can go solo or with other players into a series of missions throughout the solar system.
It's very fun, albeit slightly repetive (but only a bit), and it's only about 2 GBs in size.
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

I'm telling you, hyenas ARE canines too!
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I just played Ace of Spades for the first time. It's actually quite fun. It's like Team Fortress 2 meets Minecraft. The levels are block-based and entirely destructible, and you can build up defenses too. It's a lot of fun!
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
FritzyBeat

Post by FritzyBeat »

Nyaliva wrote:
TheMobian wrote:Just played through Klonoa: Door to Phantomile, and Klonoa 2: Lunatea's Veil again over the past week.
What can I say? Their still the two greatest games ever to be created on the face of the earth.
Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to cry in the corner to this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drkUZB13ai8
And sit in whimsical fancy while tearing up to this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaBVsUBw7v4
I don't think any other game before, or since, has had music as emotionally stirring as the Klonoa series. ever...
8D 8D 8D
We need to make a Klonoa club or something, there are more people here that even just know about it than I've seen anywhere else. I did the same, after finally finishing Klonoa 2, I decided to replay the first one for the billionth time, all in one day. I was curled up in my blanket as the ending played that afternoon. The best, most incredible ending of any game I've ever played, and it still makes me cry...
*sobs*
I KNOW! :cry:
The first game had such a sad ending, and the ending to the second game was also very bittersweet. The endings to the handheld games were very well done as well, though nothing matched the ending to the first game... NOTHING.

Also, yes, we do need to make a Klonoa fan group here =P I'd join something like that any day. :mrgreen:
Nyaliva wrote:
Silly Zealot wrote:
TheMobian wrote: I don't think any other game before, or since, has had music as emotionally stirring as the Klonoa series. ever...
Beautifull songs, but I'm sure you'll find the following ones equally enthralling: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJiyivcQb1k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wA6apTszS8c
They were really cool! I'm sure they'd be even more amazing for anyone who's played Dragon Age: Origins. That's what I think lends half the amazingness to the Klonoa songs, the endings are amazing and when you hear the songs, you re-experience the endings.

Similarly, this song is awesome and is only made more awesome by the game it lends itself to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJthgbSQqBY
I gave all three of those a listen as well. Wonderful stuff, and I definitely recognized that last one Nyaliva posted from somewhere else... hmmm.
Anyway, thanks for linking to them :)

And now for something a little more happy and lighthearted.
can anybody guess what game I've been playing these last few days? ;)
Fino is coming, and he's bringing moon pizza.
Mickey the Luxray

I got a Playstation a couple weeks ago, and a certain game to go with it...

Sadly, I was not aware of Klonoa's value at the time. Even if I did, I'd probably blow it off for budget reasons.

But anyway, I got R4: Ridge Racer Type 4, and while it is kind of boring once you beat the GP, it's music makes it worth playing on is own (Oh, yeah, and that cruel little joke called the Ecreueil ;)).
TinFoilHats

Post by TinFoilHats »

Mickey the Luxray wrote:Tinfoil, I recommend you find a retro gaming store- they usually have original parts for most consoles ever made. My local retro store had a BOXED Atari Jaguar (and I'm not even kidding, it had box and all) and a DRAWER full of controllers and other peripherals for Dog-knows-how-many consoles. I bought a Playstation there and they gave me an original controller and cables along with it, so I doubt they'd charge you much for a controller and cables for an Xbox. Unless your store is full of snobs. Then you have Amazon.
I know. That's what I meant
Mickey the Luxray

TinFoilHats wrote:I know. That's what I meant
Oh, I thought that you meant "GameStop-type" game store. Although they usually have Xbox stuff too.
Nyaliva

Post by Nyaliva »

My friend recently wanted four of us to get together and play Zelda: Four Swords, so he got an emulator which he could get it on, set up his XBox controllers to connect to the computer and we could play it on his TV. After the first time, we had to reconfigure the controllers which was taking forever and I was like "...wait a minute...I've got a Gamecube, two Gameboy Advances and several link cables. We just need two more GBAs and a copy of the game and we can play it properly!"

So now I've got to find an affordable copy of the game and two working GBAs, as well as a link cable or two (mine are pretty old and worn, I'm sure at least one of them doesn't work).

I'm on DeviantArt now!
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

It's really a shame they didn't do more with the DS and the Wii. The link cables were a pain but they enabled a lot of fun stuff. Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles was amazing in spite of its peripheral requirements for multiplayer. There's still hope for more of that to happen with the Wii U and 3DS, I guess.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Zukio

Post by Zukio »

Sleet wrote:It's really a shame they didn't do more with the DS and the Wii. The link cables were a pain but they enabled a lot of fun stuff. Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles was amazing in spite of its peripheral requirements for multiplayer. There's still hope for more of that to happen with the Wii U and 3DS, I guess.
I still love Crystal Chronicles, but it is extremely hard to try and get someone to play with me. I really can't wait to see what multiplayer games they make for the Wii U.
I like Pie!!!
Go ahead and send me a message, maybe we could talk about pie!
GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!!
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Werster got the World Record for Glitchless Pokemon Yellow with a Real Life Time of 2:00:48 and a game time of 1:59. This time is basically considered near impossible to beat due to the amount of luck that was involved in getting it. I will edit in a link to the video when he highlights it.
The Grey Wolverine

So, I am getting a desktop PC soon, and I was looking for some recommendations for games on that, as well as on 3DS, Im just not too sure what games are worth picking up
Please click this link and support me on FA. http://www.furaffinity.net/user/greywolverene/
Mickey the Luxray

Half-Life, most definitely. The greatest PC first-person shooter of its' time.
TarkaTarquol

Post by TarkaTarquol »

Man... Has anyone played a game called "FTL: Faster Than Light" on Steam? This game is hard! I get to the last level, but I can never beat the last boss! Sure keeps me entertained, though, regardless of how annoying it is getting to the last sector. X3
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Mickey the Luxray wrote:Half-Life, most definitely. The greatest PC first-person shooter of its' time.
YEAH!!!! And both it's multiplayer version, and, in greater degree, the original counter-strike, are still being played in many places all over the world! Valve is now one of the most succesfull companies in the world and they didn't even have to learn to count to three! :P
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

Nyaliva

Post by Nyaliva »

The Grey Wolverine wrote:So, I am getting a desktop PC soon, and I was looking for some recommendations for games on that, as well as on 3DS, Im just not too sure what games are worth picking up
If you like puzzle games, try Crush 3D for the 3DS or any of the Professor Layton Games (spanning DS and 3DS). As long as you have an internet connection, you can even download old GB, GBC, GBA, NES, SNES etc. games for a few bucks each. For PC: Minecraft, The Binding of Isaac, Super Meat Boy, the Half-Life games, Portal games and Team Fortress 2 are good for the basics.
TarkaTarquol wrote:Man... Has anyone played a game called "FTL: Faster Than Light" on Steam? This game is hard! I get to the last level, but I can never beat the last boss! Sure keeps me entertained, though, regardless of how annoying it is getting to the last sector. X3
My friend got that a little while ago, it looks so awesome! But yeah, he said it gets really hard and he watched a guy try the last level 9 times and failed every time.

I'm on DeviantArt now!
lasthunter

Post by lasthunter »

anyone know of the mechwarrior series.
i am the one who shall fight the mods, i am the one who shall find the loop holes and hidden ways, i am the one who shall lead with the flag, i am part of the rebellion, and i am its weapon.
TinFoilHats

Post by TinFoilHats »

I've heard of it, but I haven't actually played the games(the only thing I know about it is that the original had this HUGE controller).
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

You know, I suddenly have an urge to play games with gnolls as a prominent race in them. Could anyone reccomend me some? :)

Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

The only game I've ever played that has gnolls period is World of Warcraft, where their representation is not very positive.
exranio

Post by exranio »

This is what happens when you add move canceling (the thing in every other fighting game that lets combos happen) to Super Smash Bros.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z92MxCndZa4

This is turbo mode. Moves and grabs are now able to be canceled into other moves on turbo mode.
Project M if you haven't heard of it. Is a brawl mod that makes gravity and speed more like Melee. It also re-balanceds the characters with new moves and abilities and other priority changes to their data.

If the re balancing part sounds unnecessary to you tiers for normal brawl go all the way down to H teir and basically everything after D becomes "why the heck are you playing this character"

Also here is the website http://projectm.dantarion.com/
So check out my Deviant art http://exranion.deviantart.com/ It has ponies, furries, and the link to my tumblr!
The Grey Wolverine

lasthunter wrote:anyone know of the mechwarrior series.
I have played some, they aren't too bad
lasthunter

Post by lasthunter »

i could never get my hands on mech commando....
i am the one who shall fight the mods, i am the one who shall find the loop holes and hidden ways, i am the one who shall lead with the flag, i am part of the rebellion, and i am its weapon.
TarkaTarquol

Post by TarkaTarquol »

lasthunter wrote:anyone know of the mechwarrior series.
Yea, I'm a 'Mech-head for the recent MechWarrior release of MechWarrior: Online.

Unfortunately, the patch yesterday brought back a large memory leak or something, and HUD bugs and C2Ds are more prominent than ever. Currently unplayable, but I'm hopeful they'll fix it soon (if not already. :3)
lasthunter

Post by lasthunter »

too bad...if you ever get your hands on the originals DO NOT LOSE THEM i currently have mechwarrior 2 and 3
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

I'm currently playing Monster Hunter-U I need more people to farm stuff with.
TarkaTarquol

Post by TarkaTarquol »

I got rid of my Wii one-and-a-half years ago. Gave it to my friend for Christmas. There's only one game I miss for the Wii (SSBB) as well as the retro games I had on there (Paper Mario).

But aside from that, the Wii's game library was pretty pathetic. Given the fact I also had a PS3 now, its games were just sooooo much more appealing to me and way more fun too. It ended up with me never even plugging my Wii back in, so if I wasn't gonna use it, why keep it?

And the same, so far, has been with my thoughts on the Wii-U. Just again a pathetic game library. I go into GameStop and the entire left wall, up to just one tiny portion of it, is PS3 games. The wall directly in front of me plus that little not used on the left are for Xbox 360. Then there's a tiny patch of wall on the right side for the Wii games. Then the counter, which takes up half the wall. Then the i-devices they've got. THEN comes the Wii-U stuff, and beside that is the DS/3DS stuff.

Add up all of the games they have by Nintendo, and it's still not even close to how many games by Sony they have. Nintendo just hasn't done a good job keeping a steady stream of good games for their systems (and none of that god-awful third party stuff... Seriously, how many freakin' "Imaginate" games are there? Really! >_>) for me to keep interested. And the gamepad isn't that revolutionary a device to me to warrant its purchase based just on that. It's just a gimmick to me. Plus, they've gotta start using their IPs in a new manner rather than just peddle off HD-remakes of them. OoT and Star Fox for the 3DS, and now Wind Waker for the Wii-U. I was able to play WW on my old Wii! I don't need another one! -_- And speaking of Star Fox, how many years has it been since we got an actual game? Star Fox Assault? He's such a great character and keeps making appearances in the SSB series, yet they can't figure out a game to give him? It's just...

Nintendo is just pushing the easy button with these remakes, and that kinda ticks me off. Sony also has a few remakes, but they take it a step further and give you more than just one game per disc (ICO and Shadow of the Colossus, as a prime example. LOVE those games). Sony also does a good job of having these remakes AND keep a nice amount of other games to interest me, and these games do not come out for the Wii/-U. And if they do (Like Batman Arkham Asylum), it's just gimmicked up to use the GamePad in some weird way. And when I play Nintendo's IP's games, I almost immediately return them (Paper Mario: Sticker Star... SUCH a disappointment). Though I do have to give credit where it's due. They have the Fire Emblem games, and that series is one of the greatest SRPGs out there. Pokemon is also one that I come back to, though to a lesser extent.

Though what I can't understand... Why are they bombing with Mario? Their signature icon. The plumber that started it all, basically... Where are his games? Nintendo just keeps making these remakes of Super Mario Bros. YES, it was fun the first few times, and SMB3 is one of my favourite games of all time, but... SERIOUSLY? They release the same game with just new gimmicks! It's infuriating! I grew up with Mario and Pokemon. Pokemon has now turned into an outlet for the strategist in me, and I more so focus on battling than collecting. But Mario? He was always for pure enjoyment. Super Mario 64 was just so much fun and is still a classic. Paper Mario is an amazing turn-based RPG that blends humor and story nicely, and even its sequel was incredible (too bad the threequel bombed...). Mario and Luigi: SuperStar Saga. SO MUCH HILARITY.

It's been proven they have had good ideas with what to do with Mario, but they're just cashing in on these quick and easy SMB remakes. And that's another reason I kinda like Sony, and I can even slightly give this respect to Microsoft. Their IPs don't have the luxury of a platforming, side-scrolling game that you can make quick edits to for an easy game. They actually gotta use their heads and come up with the games. They don't just remake the same game with a slight edit to the levels or such. And even if you do call that out, the story they add to the games makes up for it (this is where Halo 2 comes in. I've heard it called the worst of the series, and yes... the ending did P'O the entire internet... but I liked the story. :3)

I guess that's one other reason I don't like these SMB remakes and such. They have no story. Or rather, it's not unique. Princess Peach is kidnapped... AGAIN. Go save her.

Story done. There's just nothing to it. That's one reason why I can look past what some call "bad games." I haven't had the opportunity to play Halo 3: ODST or Halo Wars, but I can tell not many people liked them for one reason or another. Yet I watched a bit of 'em and I kinda liked the story they had going on. It wasn't anything world-changing, but it was nice to see something unique. I suppose that's another flaw of Mario. He has no story and his universe has no background. The vast universes of some games allow them the liberty to make all these other games. Halo, Metal Gear Solid, heck, even Sly Cooper got a fourth game after a long time out of the spotlight.

But the Mario universe is just so... bland. There's no lore to go off of. Mario's success could mainly be attributed to how revolutionary the original Super Mario Bros. was. But times change. People change. Platforming isn't the genre it used to be. It still has its place, but it's presence has significantly weakened. Now, I'm not saying go make CoD: Mario, heck no. But, maybe just set your mascot aside and start working on games with a viable universe for you to use as your canvas (Like... STAR FOX?!)

---

Heh... Thought I'd just state why I no longer have my Wii and by extension, the reason why I wasn't gonna get a Wii-U... Kinda went into a rant there... Oh well. Rant over...

I'm hungry... Time for food!
lasthunter

Post by lasthunter »

:shock: that was one loooooooooooooooooooooong rant.......(falls over)
Mickey the Luxray

TarkaTarquol wrote:(and none of that god-awful third party stuff... Seriously, how many freakin' "Imaginate" games are there? Really! >_>)
Is "Imaginate" a game series or is it just games like Scribblenauts?
lasthunter

Post by lasthunter »

.....third person isn't that bad... :cry:
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Ooooh, here's a plot idea for the next starfox! We humans go to their galaxy to ruin the day for everyone!!!! X)

lasthunter

Post by lasthunter »

yes i vote for peppy to be shot down first!!! :lol: (Ah i can see it now, "a bloody scene of me shooting and screaming at peppy to do a barrel roll flash's thru mind." amazing :D )
TarkaTarquol

Post by TarkaTarquol »

lasthunter wrote:.....third person isn't that bad... :cry:
Third "Party" games. Not ones like Dead Space. I love that game. Third party games are those made by a company outside of Nintendo but just using Nintendo's consoles as a means to play their games.
Mickey the Luxray wrote:
TarkaTarquol wrote:(and none of that god-awful third party stuff... Seriously, how many freakin' "Imaginate" games are there? Really! >_>)
Is "Imaginate" a game series or is it just games like Scribblenauts?
Guess that depends on what your definition of 'series' is. They are just a bunch of emulations of real world jobs and such, and that's just horrid. Yes, the majority are biased towards little girls... But c'mon, Nintendo... Have some dignity...
Mickey the Luxray

TarkaTarquol wrote:They are just a bunch of emulations of real world jobs and such
Sounds like the whole "(insert vehicle/word for action of driving said vehicle/stupidly hard (most likely medical) job) Simulator (release year)" fad.

Which is a lot more interesting than what you're making the "Imaginate" series sound like.
TarkaTarquol

Post by TarkaTarquol »

Mickey the Luxray wrote:
TarkaTarquol wrote:They are just a bunch of emulations of real world jobs and such
Sounds like the whole "(insert vehicle/word for action of driving said vehicle/stupidly hard (most likely medical) job) Simulator (release year)" fad.

Which is a lot more interesting than what you're making the "Imaginate" series sound like.
Ok, as for those sim games, that's a bit different. Being a Truck driver is very much different than being a wedding planner or a vet or something. And I've actually been erroneously calling them "Imaginate" games when it's actually just "Imagine: (Whatever)"
EDIT: So I guess one thing to say is that some Simulators do work, as I say below. Some are just completely stupid and idiotic that I still can't believe Nintendo would allow such games to be on their consoles.

And in honesty, it's also who is playing those games. I've been to a few live-streamers who have played that Euro Truck Simulator... and I nearly died laughing at one part. Here, he highlighted it and posted it to YouTube... He does swear a lot, so that's something you may not like, I'll say, but it's HILARIOUS.