So, I'm confused

Discuss the comic here
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Re: So, I'm confused

Post by Sleet »

What makes King the main character? He wasn't even in the comic for a while. He doesn't appear on the banner on the forum. He's just an ensemble darkhorse.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Argent

Post by Argent »

Sleet wrote:What makes King the main character? He wasn't even in the comic for a while. He doesn't appear on the banner on the forum. He's just an ensemble darkhorse.
it's that ladykiller face, obviously.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Sleet wrote:What makes King the main character? He wasn't even in the comic for a while. He doesn't appear on the banner on the forum. He's just an ensemble darkhorse.
Mostly because he has the most of the main story happen to him and everyone else kind of does nothing in the main story really. I mean lets face it the Nerds story is the main story of this comic, there is no other on going storyline here (heck even Rick admits to this), and any other one you could argue is extremely minor if existing as an ongoing at all. Again I'm just saying this in the sense of if you really needed to give the comic an over all main character, King is the closest thing we have and Peanut and Grape are far from main characters.
Argent

Post by Argent »

Heresy! The main story is Imaginate!
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

the main character is obviously the Limerick guy
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Mickey the Luxray
Location: Why-Cant-We-Be-Given-Some-Consarned-Snow-Ville, USA

Post by Mickey the Luxray »

Argent wrote:Heresy! The main story is Imaginate!

Falsities! Everyone knows the main story is The Arc Specifically About Being Naked! *bricked*
If you want my number, it's #804080.
Macsen

Post by Macsen »

The main character is Lester, natch.

:roll:
Mickey the Luxray

No way, Lester would make a "Housepets! SUCKS" wiki due to its sheer mainstreamness.
Hukley
Banner Artist

Post by Hukley »

The main charakter is delusional Steve. Everything in Housepets is just his imagination! :lol:
Awesome Avatar-Animation by GeckoZY! :D
Simon & Freddy has its own Webpage now: http://www.simonandfreddy.com/
My webcomic: (Updates on Saturdays)
ImageImage
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

Hukley wrote:The main charakter is delusional Steve. Everything in Housepets is just his imagination! :lol:
so...
Argent wrote:Heresy! The main story is Imaginate!
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Serence Frostbite »

or at least that would be the case if he didn't have any toys to play with , HA ! take that imaginary version of the imaginary steve in delusional Steve's imagination !....yah I really can't get that one-off out of my mine :lol:
Hukley
Banner Artist

Post by Hukley »

serence ice fox wrote:or at least that would be the case if he didn't have any toys to play with , HA ! take that imaginary version of the imaginary steve in delusional Steve's imagination !....yah I really can't get that one-off out of my mine :lol:
Yeah... A classic case of "Steveception" :)
Awesome Avatar-Animation by GeckoZY! :D
Simon & Freddy has its own Webpage now: http://www.simonandfreddy.com/
My webcomic: (Updates on Saturdays)
ImageImage
Gren

Post by Gren »

Silly Zealot wrote:I'm EXTREMELY partial to all the inhabitants of babylon gardens finding out about Joel/King's past, but I must admit that, if they never find out, that would make for a very original story!
Seriously? ¬¬ Sheesh, that would be so boring. What's the fun if there's no drama?
And to be clear about this topic, I'm not complaining of King getting a better life as a dog, but to me it's obviously he is digging his own grave when approaching with those who can make him more harm. Really, it would be more safe for him get close to Bino and Duchess than Fox and Bailey. How do you think they would react when they find out all the lies? I think you're taking things too lightly, because it's pretty hard they forgive him as easy. And this only will cause him to wish be human again.
GameCobra wrote:I don't. But If the two main characters had to be a couple, I would find that too cliche.

Guys like Maxwell deserve a chance to have a successful romance in a comic for once.
Yeah because when the cool, popular, handsome, street savvy troublemaker gets the girl is not cliché at all. ¬¬
I don't know why it would be cliché a interspecies relationship, it's not as if we see this all the time everywhere. The only similar thing that comes to my mind was the crush that Donatello had for April in TMNT and we all know that didn't end well.
Unless you was referring to the "friendzone" thing, because yeah, that would be a bit more common. I can remember similar situations in Futurama, Danny Phantom and Kim Possible.
Sleet wrote:What makes King the main character?
Two things: Popularity and Plot.
RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:the main character is obviously the Limerick guy
No, he have to be Rick's self-caricature making some cameos in the comic, because if you know well, he have beard :P
ImageImage
Mickey the Luxray

Gren wrote:Seriously? ¬¬ Sheesh, that would be so boring. What's the fun if there's no drama?
By that logic, most of this webcomic is boring because it isn't a soap opera. That is totally not true. The dramatic arcs are awesome, sure, but the little jokes and "funnies" arcs (like the Imaginate! arcs) are not only awesome, too, but necessary to keep this strip from turning into some doom-and-gloom festival of darkness and cliche'd relationship drama, when it's supposed to be light-hearted and fun to read.
Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

I agree with mickey , I never find HP to be the kind of heart breaking dramatic comic , no matter what happen in each arc/one off there will usually be some funny moments , or at least a semi-happy ending for us , the saddest strip I can remember is the cerberus one off and even that have a somewhat lightenened ending
and I just quoted Pete again without realizing it
Mickey the Luxray

I agree, the Cerberus comic was pretty depressing in it's implication. But the fact that it had a sweet ending see what I did there kekeke made up for it. I wonder if that puppy will come back at some point.
Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

"but the fact that is had a sweet ending"......hey I think I just found a pun-making fellow , though unlike what I usually make that wasn't a bad one , it at least deserve a cookie *ba-dum-tish* , since that was a one off it's not likely that adorable puppy would come back though , which is a shame *sigh*
Mickey the Luxray

Well technically Delusional Steve was a one-off character, although his first appearance was in an arc. But he appeared again later. I have a feeling that that one strip sets up a future arc that we have to wait to see.
Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

true true , or we could just find a way to plant a inception is rick's mind so that he will bring the puppy back again , just to be sure :twisted: (yes I said that just because Steve was mentioned , blame him , not me ! )
Gren

Post by Gren »

Seems you don't get the point. Hey, I like the style of the comic, I said it before, it's not like I like to see them suffer all the time. If I started reading this comic it was because it's makes me laugh. The point is that if you create a semi-structured plot and then you stick together two characters who were supposed to hate each other, then it's surely have to be a reason for it. Are you saying you prefer ignore this fact and pretend as this never happened? Then you're killing the plot. The same happens if you want Fox and Bailey shrugs about it as it were something of every day.
And about the romantic cliché thing, it's not as if there were even only one couple which doesn't be part of this category. King and Bailey cliché; Sasha and Kevin cliché, Bino and Duchess cliché; love triangles, friendzone; etc etc all of them are too cliché and all of we already saw this many times. Honestly, I wouldn't be affected at all if one day Rick decide to finish with the romance once and for all. But yeah I would miss to get mad the shippers (yeah I'm a troll, deal with it XD).
ImageImage
Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

and now you're making me think too much into it , urrggh my head hurt
anyway ya i agree that what king did as a human isn't something that would be easily forgiven , but since his new beginning as king ,fox has been one of his few friends , and I don't think after all they have and will go through together in the future right to the point of truth uncovering , adding to the fact that fox will always stay be his friend , that fox would not be at least more forgiving toward king
Beside the way I see it fox and king (what's his human name again ? Joe ? joey ?) isn't actually the type of character who would hate each other anyway , the problem between them is only caused by king's misguided mistake (lack of word , bear with me) , and at some point will realize it , if he hadn't already , and the problem will be solved one way or another.
this is the point where what little left of my brain starting to shut down so......
There could be another way out of it , like one of those old movie where the character will have to choose , and decide to choose his new found friends over his own desire , accepting his new fate as a rebirth , while revealing his past and ready for the consequences , if ya know what I'm trying to say you'll know what happen after that

But if there's anything I've learned after 2 months reading this comic again and again , is that Rick has a talent of taking the story in the direction none of us could ever 100% anticipated , no matter how hard we tried , so let's just wait and see I supposed :lol:
Mickey the Luxray

King and Bailey: Former human and country girl. Since human society portrays country girls as charming and polite, it would make sense that King would be attracted to her through human stereotypes; when he REALLY got to know her, then his love set in.
Sasha and Kevin: Pretty but dense and ripped but relatively dense. Yeah, these two should TOTALLY hate each other.
Bino and Duchess: Two dogs who want nothing more than the most attention. Naturally, they would realize that it would be easier to garner that attention if they teamed up. Or, it could be explained through their bitterness at being dumped by their previous partners (King and Sasha, respectively).

All of these pairings have a logical reasoning behind them. In a sense, romance in itself is a cliche' but that doesn't mean that it has to be bad. Cliche's can be a very powerful literary device IF DONE CORRECTLY. It's a fine line, but I think Rick's walking it perfectly well.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Mickey the Luxray wrote:King and Bailey: Former human and country girl. Since human society portrays country girls as charming and polite, it would make sense that King would be attracted to her through human stereotypes; when he REALLY got to know her, then his love set in.
Sasha and Kevin: Pretty but dense and ripped but relatively dense. Yeah, these two should TOTALLY hate each other.
Bino and Duchess: Two dogs who want nothing more than the most attention. Naturally, they would realize that it would be easier to garner that attention if they teamed up. Or, it could be explained through their bitterness at being dumped by their previous partners (King and Sasha, respectively).

All of these pairings have a logical reasoning behind them. In a sense, romance in itself is a cliche' but that doesn't mean that it has to be bad. Cliche's can be a very powerful literary device IF DONE CORRECTLY. It's a fine line, but I think Rick's walking it perfectly well.
Having cliche is the charm of every romance. Else, kissing would grow old =P. It's just corny when the cliche is overplayed to the point it gets redundant.

Rick so far is on a perfect road with the way things are now. I hope they stay the way they are now.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

For King and Fox, I would like to see something along the lines of King being dognapped, and the truth getting out that way, or at least King getting a dose of what he was trying to do to Fox when he was Joel....
My characters
Everybody has a story to tell. What's yours?
Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

yes that would be a nice way for the comic to go....
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

serence ice fox wrote:yes that would be a nice way for the comic to go....
I believe it would be fitting for a Comedy to go full circle. :P
My characters
Mickey the Luxray

I love how a thread that was intended to clear up one person's confusion about Grape and Peanut has turned into

1) A hotbed of arguments on the apparent negative effects of the implementation of romance into a slice-of-life comic

2) A speculatory thread where people project the future of the comic

3) A basic chat thread about Housepets! in general.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

We do this sometimes. We're just that impatient =3
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

THAT has to be the source of "something's a bit off here" feeling I've been getting :lol:
but ya you got a point , so I guess we should stop now :P
as for the coming full circle , I'm waiting for some kind of paradox to go with it if it actually happen at any point in the future :P
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Though we have steered off course from the original point, the conversation has been organic and naturally flowing. Not only that, but everything that has been done fits in with the title of the thread as well.... clearing up confusion and all.
My characters
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Completely agree with Copper, specially since I want to keep discusing everything in the comic that seems to be hard to understand. Isn't it funny that every single conversation in the world seems to stray, little by little, from the original subject to something that doesn't have any direct connection whatsoever? Happens pretty much every time!
copper wrote:For King and Fox, I would like to see something along the lines of King being dognapped, and the truth getting out that way, or at least King getting a dose of what he was trying to do to Fox when he was Joel....
I just got a shiver down my spine! Talk about cliche!
Oh! And we need more from the limmerick guy! MORE!
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

I'm telling you, hyenas ARE canines too!
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Mickey the Luxray wrote:I love how a thread that was intended to clear up one person's confusion about Grape and Peanut has turned into

1) A hotbed of arguments on the apparent negative effects of the implementation of romance into a slice-of-life comic

2) A speculatory thread where people project the future of the comic

3) A basic chat thread about Housepets! in general.
The mark of many a good conversation; we forget what the original topic was about.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Mickey the Luxray

Amen.

Also, hey, we joined on the same day! :D
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

We actually expect you to stay on topic and create new threads as necessary. Let's avoid spam posts that contribute nothing to the conversation.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

You got it, Dissension, though I can tell it'll be easier said than done.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Gren

Post by Gren »

You know, I think it's funny how practically every thread created to clarify doubts always turn to discuss the same topics:

1- King's fate
2- Cosmic Game nonsense
3- GrapeNut thing

I can say that we'll never stop debating the same subjects even if Rick puts a definitive end to this. It's practically what gives life to this forum :lol:
ImageImage
Mickey the Luxray

Y U copy me, Gren?

I thought we were frenemies 8C
Gren

Post by Gren »

Mickey the Luxray wrote:Y U copy me, Gren?

I thought we were frenemies 8C
HA! Don't push your luck man, I'm public enemy of everyone in this forum *look side to side with misterious look*

Now back to the topic or otherwise I'll seriously get banned.

Since I already mentioned the theme, I think I'm not doing off-topic. Therefore my doubt is what's exactly the role that could play the followers in this Cosmic stuff? From what Rick has said, they're not taking part of the duel between Dragon and Pete (that probably just going to involve Tarot and King), so then what's exactly their function? I wonder if this demigods already have other plans for this world besides the reason of their duel. Also if others of them like Kitsune or Cerberus are able to have followers too.
ImageImage
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Kitsune likely doesn't have followers because he doesn't have an avatar, though I could see him having some just to keep tabs on what Pete and Dragon are doing easier. Cerberus doesn't have any connection to the U&U game at all she just takes spirits to heaven/hell at this point. As for what followers do they give power to the players Avatars so they can use their abilities in the upcoming fight. As far as we know (and I think Rick would have explained it if there was something more going on at this point) that is all they do.
Gren

Post by Gren »

I admit I don't know almost anything about D&D (because it's not a common game over here), however, if I understood well what I've read in the comic (and in the forum), then I think Kitsune is not allowed to have an avatar because he (as the DM) can't interfere directly in the duel (he is just like a moderator, making sure the players follow the rules).
Returning to the followers, I think it's not necessary be playing the game to have some of them because they are gods, who can prevent them from interact with mortals? there's a rule or something? I think not because it would be silly if the way to interact with them is only by playing a nerdish game.
And the followers didn't have any powers, this is only for avatars. However gods can give them some "favors" A.K.A. give them a little piece of their mana. If I understood correctly, the followers don't give any powers to avatars at all (quite the contrary, avatars train followers to be their successors), their powers comes from the the fountain of mana in the temples. I thought they needed followers because they can't interact directly with the world, so then they can use them to fulfill their plans. However, seeing what Pete could do, I think they are able to interact with the world provided that no break no rule (like transform a mortal against his/her will). So then the questions remains. What is their function in all of this?
ImageImage