Joys And Sorrows

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Re: Joys And Sorrows

Post by Sleet »

Duster wrote:
Sleet wrote:Sorrow: No medical school wants me and I have no job. I am literally the worst excuse for a productive adult I can possibly be at present. I hate being a failure. :'(
You could be MUCH worse off, trust me. Just do what I do when I try to balance myself out, (eat a bucket of ice cream) sorry couldn't resist, no I count my blessings. I know it sounds simple but it helps me out when i'm feeling down. Buck up Sleet, its not all doom and gloom on your end right?
Well there really isn't anything going right in my life at the moment.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

*Hug sleet*
Cheer up foxy dude/dudette it'll get better.

Joy: Going to a metal show for some a bunch of michigan based bands I've enver heard of. It's been wayyyyyyyyyyyy too long since I've been to a show so I'm pretty much giddy.
Joy: I have to do some community service for reasons and I figured out a way to do it at the comic shop I used to frequent when I was in highschool, which is pretty cool.
I think in Non-sequiturs

"I told you not to put metal in the science oven! What'd you do that for?"

Trash boiz
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

When failure gets you down, aim for success in another way, even when minor to get yourself into the successful venture again.

I hear gyms work wonders for those =3
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

So big Joy: Saved a dollar a gallon on gas today when I filled up from an almost empty tank. $20 of savings, heck yes!
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Sleet wrote:Well there really isn't anything going right in my life at the moment.
Don't make me smack you. You're young, smart, attractive, healthy, and not insane. You have all sorts of friends who love you to death. There are, as far as I can reckon, exactly two major problems in your life right now. They're not easy things to change. They're not really things you have a ton of control over. You can either get all mopey and turn into our self-loathing friends or you can assume the attitude that things will be OK. You've always told me to make the best of things. Take your own advice. Didn't get into medical school? Do that thing I recommended or find another way to stay relevant and make an impact, something you can tell an interview board with some measure of pride. I know what you can accomplish and I know what throwing away one's future by obsessing over setbacks looks like. Please don't become a mockery of yourself.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Dissension wrote:
Sleet wrote:Well there really isn't anything going right in my life at the moment.
There are, as far as I can reckon, exactly two major problems in your life right now.
Three.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Dissension wrote:
Don't make me smack you. You're young, smart, attractive, healthy, and not insane. You have all sorts of friends who love you to death. There are, as far as I can reckon, exactly two major problems in your life right now. They're not easy things to change. They're not really things you have a ton of control over. You can either get all mopey and turn into our self-loathing friends or you can assume the attitude that things will be OK. You've always told me to make the best of things. Take your own advice. Didn't get into medical school? Do that thing I recommended or find another way to stay relevant and make an impact, something you can tell an interview board with some measure of pride. I know what you can accomplish and I know what throwing away one's future by obsessing over setbacks looks like. Please don't become a mockery of yourself.
THANK YOU.

I mean, Sleet, you have a bachelor's degree in biomedical engineering, with two minors in pure mathematics and music. Do you know how many career opportunities you have open to you? I know you want to be a doctor more than anything, and you can always try again next year, but in the meantime, are you really going to keep moping about it, putting the rest of your life on hold, letting your student loans pile up while you still have to live with your mom? Get it together, find a temporary "mini career" with the major or minor, and quit wallowing in self-pity. If you're going to try to apply to medical school next year, sitting at home and feeling sorry for yourself isn't going to do a thing to help you.

And come next fall, don't wait until the last minute to apply to schools. It opens again in August, the same time as undergraduate applications. Apply to places you may not want to attend, just for the sake of getting in. Peanut butter is still peanut butter even if it's not made by Jiff. Southern colleges have lower expectations than the most prestigious medical schools in the country, and after two years off, you may need to swallow your darn pride for the sake of making the dream you've had since you were a little kid come true. When you put your eggs into one basket, it doesn't end well.

And I'm sorry if I'm not patting you on the back and telling you that it'll be okay. Because, honestly, in the real world, it WON'T be okay if you let every setback crush you like a bug. Good things don't come to those who wait, good things come to those who work their rear ends off and never give up. God, I've only been legally able to work for two years, and I've already had six jobs. I faced constant bullcrap throughout high school because I wasn't privileged enough to have the luxuries of good money. Want to know what being from a family that makes 20k a year teaches you? It teaches you to take nothing for granted and that you can still be fourth in your class, and live well-fed with a warm house to live in and good clothes to wear, and go to college if you know how to work your butt off because life didn't hand you the American Dream, it handed you a trailer and a broken marriage between a man with cancer a woman with MS. There are people who have had it so much worse than you, and so much worse than myself as well. I understand that you're really upset and that I'm kind of being a humongous tool right now, but Sleet, I've known you for three years now, and watching this downwards spiral you've been on for the past two years is killing me. Do you think we like watching this happen to you? Like Dissension, I don't want you turning into one of the same self-loathing, blubbering idiots that we talk about over Skype all the time.

I just, I don't even, how do I-
*leaves*
Let me tell you about Homestuck.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Jeez not even 24 hours after one of the biggest setbacks of my entire life and I'm expected to not be upset. It's not like I'm going to spend the rest of my life hating myself over this or anything.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Sleet wrote:Jeez not even 24 hours after one of the biggest setbacks of my entire life and I'm expected to not be upset. It's not like I'm going to spend the rest of my life hating myself over this or anything.
You're allowed to be upset, but from how well I know you and from past posts, you're more upset about this than you're letting show at the surface level. I'd like to prevent you from entering a cycle of self-pity if I can help it. As your friend, I'm allowed to do that.

Sorrow: I can't wait until this antibiotic kicks in. I feel like I'm going to cough up a lung.
Joy: I had a great time driving around the city doing errands by myself today! ^_^ I feel like such an adult.
Joy: Pay day, yeah!
Joy: I get 35% off this weekend at work and I have a $10 off coupon. :3 This means free stuff!
Joy: It's the weekend! This means sleep. ;_;
Joy: So, uh, did anyone see the really, really spectacular news I posted on the last page?
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Beagle wrote:
Sleet wrote:Jeez not even 24 hours after one of the biggest setbacks of my entire life and I'm expected to not be upset. It's not like I'm going to spend the rest of my life hating myself over this or anything.
You're allowed to be upset, but from how well I know you and from past posts, you're more upset about this than you're letting show at the surface level. I'd like to prevent you from entering a cycle of self-pity if I can help it. As your friend, I'm allowed to do that.
I'm pretty much immune to chronic self-pity. I'm actually a very happy, optimistic fox and I don't think anything could change that. Maybe I should show it less so that people don't get after me when I do get acutely upset. :P
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Sleet wrote:I'm pretty much immune to chronic self-pity. I'm actually a very happy, optimistic fox and I don't think anything could change that. Maybe I should show it less so that people don't get after me when I do get acutely upset. :P
I only been pesimistic when i regret not doing some things in school such as going for a honor's degree in English. Granted, life's not perfect, But even without the courses in my life, I enjoy life's challenges right now. =)

Also, if it helps...

Joy: I'm posting at work, going home early because my driving buddy is sick, and watching the Walking Dead.

Adore me.
PhoenixAsper

Post by PhoenixAsper »

Congratulations!, Beagle!!!! :D :D :D North Carolina's a GREAT school! Is there a reason you'd prefer NC State?

Sorrow: Sometimes I don't like being me. I worry about where my thoughts are going, but I either don't want to fight it, am too angry, or don't care. :( That doesn't bode well for upcoming events (or afterward, rather), and it makes me worry about me.

Sorrow: Always looking forward to the worst that could happen, that's me. -_- :roll: Urgh, I need a vacation. Or Lent to be over. Whichever happens first.

Joy: Been feeling strangely happyawesome at different intervals since Wednesday.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

PhoenixAsper wrote:Congratulations!, Beagle!!!! :D :D :D North Carolina's a GREAT school! Is there a reason you'd prefer NC State?
It's because of my major. I'm going for a bachelor's in computer + electrical engineering, as well as with a double major in computer science (engineering is probably going to change though, while staying in the field of technology). NC State also has an environment much more relevant to my interests. It's just... you know how you just know when you're meant to be somewhere? Exactly.

Sorrow: There are a combination of things (and people) who are on my nerves right now. Luckily though, these things are temporary and my apathy level is at a high. So I'm just going to enjoy this lovely weather and surf YouTube.
ChewyChewy

Post by ChewyChewy »

PF chars

"We have to do this take again! HAL, do it with a LOT less emotion!"
"I'm sorry Stan, I'm afraid I can't do that."
--Phoenix

pair-o-dimes dot blogspot dot com
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

That is really amazing. It's a bit of a shame, but I'm having trouble taking a positive moral from the story though, heh.
ChewyChewy

Post by ChewyChewy »

44R0NM10 wrote:
That is really amazing. It's a bit of a shame, but I'm having trouble taking a positive moral from the story though, heh.
It's about the power of words. You can say the same thing in different ways and have a different effect on people.
PF chars

"We have to do this take again! HAL, do it with a LOT less emotion!"
"I'm sorry Stan, I'm afraid I can't do that."
--Phoenix

pair-o-dimes dot blogspot dot com
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

Sorrow: i left m y laptop in my parents' car when i transferred into my brother's car when we met him halfway between home and my college. So now i need to wait until they mail it to me, and i won't have it until Tuesday at the earliest.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

That's rough. I don't know what I'd do without mine!

Probably get more reading done, to be honest. XP
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

sorrow: I might have messed my lifeup real bad. I'll see what the next couple days hold but at the moment things kinda suck.
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Sorrow: Missed my time slot for the very expensive GRE (my fault, overslept). And I don't believe they will refund. Not happy.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Sorrow: On the way to work today, a orange cat got ran over by a truck and rolled around the road. :'(

Luckily, it got up and ran off the road quickly. Made me cringe just thinking about it.
AstroOtter

Post by AstroOtter »

Joy: Tomorrow I go back to work. Nine months of unemployment, finally over.
Creature of chaos with long slender body, heavy tail, and clever hands. I am to water as a dragon is to fire. And I'm adorable.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Congrats, Astro! I'm happy for ya!

Coincidentally I have a job interview the day after. Not anything medical, sadly, but it's money while I wait/study for medical school eventually.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Joy: I have my laptop back ^_^
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Argent

Post by Argent »

I dropped my tablet directly on the USB port while the cable was plugged in and cracked it right off the motherboard. It also seems to have partially cracked the connectors for the charging port (I'm lucky it has a separate charging port) so it only charges if I balance it *just right*. Hope it holds out until I can replace it.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Joy: I got a ticket to see the father of rock 'n' roll play live finally! Hopefully he won't die in the next month.
PhoenixAsper

Post by PhoenixAsper »

Sorrow: Did NOT have a good day yesterday. I can truly be a selfish idiot when I want to. Or don't want to.

Sorrow: Never seem to have enough TIME. The after work hours are all too short...

Joy: Pizza. :mrgreen:
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

sorrow: 2.5'd my midterm for my philosophy class. Crud.
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Sleet wrote:Joy: I got a ticket to see the father of rock 'n' roll play live finally! Hopefully he won't die in the next month.
who would that be?
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Buddy Holly

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

is his zombie on tour? sweet.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Punchy

Post by Punchy »

Sleet wrote:Joy: I got a ticket to see the father of rock 'n' roll play live finally! Hopefully he won't die in the next month.
Is it Fats Domino?
If it is The Fat Man, you are lucky.
Panda Panda Panda
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Gawd you guys. Chuck Berry!
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

I thought it may have been him. but only after googling and eliminating the dead ones.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Argent

Post by Argent »

Sleet wrote:Gawd you guys. Chuck Berry!
It's Marvin - your cousin, Marvin BERRY. You know that new sound you're looking for? Well, listen to this!
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
The Grey Wolverine

Post by The Grey Wolverine »

Well crap: So, I need 40 hours of community service to graduate, and it turns out I have none on record, Ive done them all, and passed in the paperwork, this could be the one thing that keeps me from graduation!
Please click this link and support me on FA. http://www.furaffinity.net/user/greywolverene/
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

The Grey Wolverine wrote:Well crap: So, I need 40 hours of community service to graduate, and it turns out I have none on record, Ive done them all, and passed in the paperwork, this could be the one thing that keeps me from graduation!
If you have to, dedicate two and a half weekends to your volunteering hours. Eight hours each day, and you'll be done in five sessions. It would be silly to have such a little thing prevent you from graduating on time. Animal shelters and nursery homes always need help.

Or go on a manhunt for that paperwork. Either one.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Welp better get on that really quick. Look for options ASAP.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Ultra Joy: I'm now a technician again! OH, the sweet, sweet joy of fixing people's computers over the phones again. No more bills. T_T

I wasn't a technician for a long time. even before Housepets! was born. Maybe i can start fixing people's computers here,too :D
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

I really just need to vent: I am so freaking stressed out right now it isn't even funny. It's nearing towards the end of senior year, and for those of you who have been through it yourselves, there is so much to do all at one time! I have five weeks left in my three college classes, and with that comes two papers in English (50% of my grade), six psychology assignments, and history reading/classroom forum posts, biweekly reading quizzes, and a final worth 25% of my final grade. And the teachers that I really, really need to help me, because they're basically the only people that can/will help me, are too busy with the other 60+ students they have throughout the day.

Not to mention next week, the week before spring break, is the end of the grading period for my high school classes. The last time I checked my Calculus BC grade, it was a 95%. That was before I made a 60 on last week's quiz. The test this Tuesday will replace the grade if I make higher on it, but freaking sequences and series in Calculus BC are murder, and we've barely worked with the material plus she's throwing in stuff we haven't seen before. I would really like to finish this grading period with a 92.5% so my final GPA will reflect an 'A' in the course.

Not to mention the AP exam is coming up in a month and a half, and I'm going to have to start cracking the whip and studying so I'll pass it, making time between all my other commitments. Because 60% of the AP exam is material from a year ago in AB Calculus, that sounds like the best idea ever! :x

Hey, at least I have spring break to look forward to, right? Nope! So next week, I have an English paper due, a Psychology paper, a Psychology quiz, reading material and three forum posts and a reading quiz in Western Civilization, plus that Calculus test, then on Friday, my parents are dragging me to spend five days in Tennessee with my oh-so-lovely family. And when I say that they live even further in the boondocks than I do, I mean that my dad is going to have to drive me 45 minutes to a McDonald's one day just so I can work on my online classes, because there is no such thing as "internet" where I'm going. And since I was basically forced into taking five days off, three of those days that I always work, my job is probably going to schedule me for almost every night before I leave, leaving me to deal with this massive workload from school in a lot of late nights, and probably every single day when I get back from Tennessee. Hey look, it's my spring break! Aaaaaand... it's gone. Before it even starts.

My sleeping patterns have been crap lately too, not being able to fall asleep before midnight when I have to be up at 6 AM the next day, and every single freaking time I manage to fall asleep in a nap in the afternoon, my dad comes in my room, screaming for me to wake up. My parents are pushing me beyond my breaking point, depriving me of time dedicated to sleep, work, and study, and I am going to explode by the end of these next two weeks. I also expect to get no sleep during my "break" with a screaming toddler in the house.

I also have scholarships I need to fill out (I'm trying my best to not even have to take out the yearly $2,500 low-interest loan at State) that are due right when we come back from break.

Speaking of money, with all this time I'm having to request off of work from forced "vacations" and things I need to do that are a natural part of senior year, it makes me mad that my parents are pushing me to request off even more time for this "vacation" when they certainly aren't willing to supplement the resulting loss of my income by paying for my prom ticket, dinner money for prom, lunch money for the field trip, or any of the trips I'm planning.

Prom, prom, prom. 'Tis the season to worry about haircuts and spending far too long with friends deciding where to go for dinner and whose car to drive and whatnot.

And then we have my college to-do check list, like getting my medical records up-to-date and submitted, plus orientation registering, finding a potential roommate, etc.

It also bothers me that for the past three weeks, every time I've been off of work, the four friends I actually have left in this area are busy with band, musical, or youth group. I just need somewhere to stay at other than going home to my house when I'm not at work or school. I just want to go out on a Saturday night and be a freaking teenager while I've still got the chance. I'm also having issues with one friend in particular, and I really wish we wouldn't be playing a game of cat and mouse, instead just talking it out and letting me have one less thing to worry about, but I'm at my freaking wits' end with it. That one actually might have to wait a while until I'm done doing a pirouette off the freaking handle with stress and anxiety.

I am going to end up freaking sick again or making my insomnia even worse. Huuuuurgh.

Actually now if I seem offline more than usual, you guys now know why. Just someone do me a favor and check up on me and make sure I haven't killed anyone yet, okay?

Bleh.