Greek Life?

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Cm4F

Greek Life?

Post by Cm4F »

What are y'all's thoughts about Greek Life? Keep in mind, I am against anything that involves illegal activity. I was just thinking about the possibility of me one day joining one. You see, I have a couple a friends that are ΠΚΦ's (Pi Kappa Phi's) and have been really curious about what being in a fraternity entails. So far, I'm more drawn to ΠΚΦ, as I've heard a lot of good things about them. I'm wanting to know if being in fraternity is all about partying, drinking, etc., or if there is some kind of beneficial growth or unparalleled experiences offered. If anyone here has been in one or has any hindsight on the subject, I'd really appreciate some feedback.

Thanks ;D
ImageImage

I fought dyslexia, and I won!
Zukio

Re: Greek Life?

Post by Zukio »

While I am not in a Fraternity, I do know that not all are party based. It all depends on the Fraternity you join, the members really determine what they do. A frat can range from party crazy, to studious, and some do lots of charity work. You should really look into what they do, and what is their main focus. At my school they was a Greek Life fair that allowed the different groups to showcase themselves, and it's possible that your school has it too.
I like Pie!!!
Go ahead and send me a message, maybe we could talk about pie!
GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!!
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

I personally love being in a fraternity and would highly recommend it if you can find a group of guys you genuinely enjoy being around. I had no intentions of joining a frat when I got into college but I got invited to rush one by a friend of mine and ended up really clicking with the brothers. I never really saw myself as the type that would get into greek life but I did and I consider it one of the better decisions I've made so far in college. It may sound kinda dorky but I really do feel like my fraternity is like a second family. There are a lot of negative stereotypes about fraternities but in reality all sorts of different guys find themselves in greek life and every chapter is different and has different goals/priorities. It doesn't cost anything to rush or hang out with your friends that are in the fraternity you might as well try it.
I think in Non-sequiturs

"I told you not to put metal in the science oven! What'd you do that for?"

Trash boiz
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I avoided it, myself. I didn't like the idea of buying friends and I generally hate networking. I'm also not much of a partier and I hate the stereotypes that come with fraternities and sororities. Not to say that they're all like that, but I can guarantee that had I joined I would have had to regularly interact with that type.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

If I found a sorority that wasn't all partying all fulfilling of stereotypes, I probably still wouldn't join it. I'm not one to hang out with other girls for the majority of my time; too much estrogen in one room. I'd rather prefer a co-ed dorm, even if my roommate/suite mates will be all girls, there will be some kind of gender balance. Luckily though, I've already joined a co-ed program in college, to help me find my "little pond" in the "ocean of a big university."
Let me tell you about Homestuck.
Cm4F

Post by Cm4F »

Seth wrote:I personally love being in a fraternity and would highly recommend it if you can find a group of guys you genuinely enjoy being around. I had no intentions of joining a frat when I got into college but I got invited to rush one by a friend of mine and ended up really clicking with the brothers. I never really saw myself as the type that would get into greek life but I did and I consider it one of the better decisions I've made so far in college. It may sound kinda dorky but I really do feel like my fraternity is like a second family. There are a lot of negative stereotypes about fraternities but in reality all sorts of different guys find themselves in greek life and every chapter is different and has different goals/priorities. It doesn't cost anything to rush or hang out with your friends that are in the fraternity you might as well try it.
Your fraternity being your second family isn't dorky at all. Which one are you in, if you don't mind my asking? Also, a positive attribute for ΠΚΦ at Winthrop U. is that they don't have an official house yet, so it wouldn't be as expensive as it normally would be.

I'm still giving it a lot of thought, so I appreciate the feedback. I'm starting to really want to join ΠΚΦ.
ImageImage

I fought dyslexia, and I won!