#arc 67 Love and War

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
Radio Blue Heart

Re: #arc 67 Love and War

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

All they are doing is broadening her horizons. These guys are all nicer and in better shape than Bino. It will backfire with very positive results.
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

It's impossible to sabotage Rex's date. Bulldogs are immune to such tactics. Clearly him and Sasha were meant to be. They have so much in common.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Radio Blue Heart

I agree. Given my personal experience with English Bulldogs.
-Virgil
Macsen

Post by Macsen »

Sasha will fall for Rex.

Bino will fight with Rex over Sasha. (And get broken again.)

Sasha will run off with Yeltsin. :lol:
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

Will this finally be the moment when Bino discovers that "rex" means "king"?
Shameless advertisement of my fanfics: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/880961/Angelus-alvus
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Now I can see why she managed to last that long with Bino.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Gren

Post by Gren »

Kitch wrote:Sasha will fall for Rex.
I hope not. Rex deserves someone better than her. He is pure heart, and we know how Sasha is. It would be matter of time that she break his heart as she did with Bino.

Honestly I prefer she end up with Fox because they are my least fav characters (though I still like them both). Besides I think they could be a good couple (well, just maybe)
ImageImage
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Gren wrote:He is pure heart, and we know how Sasha is.
C'mon, even her tag is a heart! And her cutie mark fur markings!
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Karl

Post by Karl »

Sleet wrote:
Gren wrote:He is pure heart, and we know how Sasha is.
C'mon, even her tag is a heart! And her cutie mark fur markings!
They're all a lie! Just like French Fries!
I'm a bookworm!
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

I feel so bad for Sasha now.She has to cook and clean for her "Dad" while he drinks two bottles of wine for dinner and yet she stays with someone like Bino for so long.... she is so neglected. :cry:

I hope all works out for her. Hope Someone swoops in at the last minute, when it looks like Bino is going to succeed in his plan!

And I want a return of the love whip for sure.
My characters
Everybody has a story to tell. What's yours?
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I feel like the love whip gag would lose a little "oomph" after the first time.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Yeah, that's kind of a one-time deal. It was for comedic effect, nothing more.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Gren

Post by Gren »

Well, considering how it has developed this arc, I doubt Duchess would show up, except perhaps at the end. However, it's not like Bino is gonna have it easy with her when he try to do his move. Seeing how is her personality I would say she'll just ignore him and say something like "sorry, I don't talk with mutts". After all, being interested only in purebred males it fits perfectly with her.
ImageImage
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Ah Sasha you have a way with Words, and rambling, and being a bit annoying as well.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

And here I thought I was the only one who penguins words!
Sinder

Post by Sinder »

the saddest flower
ImageImage
ImageImage
Duster

Post by Duster »

Apparently Yeltsin and Sasha both need lessons in proper etiquette.

OK guys I think somehow Bino is going to make Sasha cry. Of course I'm sure that's not his aim, but he did pretty much get every other male dog in the neighborhood to be rude to her (or Fox did, i'm not sure what's worse).
Shame on you Bino, that's NOT nice!

Oh well, guess we'll have to wait until later to find out for sure.
Last edited by Duster on Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Extraordinary things happen to Extraordinary people!
also . . .
I'm the Best in the West!
Aticston

Post by Aticston »

Ok, I'm going to say it cause I'm just finding this arc annoying considering the past comic content.

-WHY- is everyone sticking their necks out for Bino?

He's proven to be the most unlikable gumdrop in Housepets for a long shot, so much so that remember The good ol boy's has a rule specifically for him that injuring Bino is not a cause for expulsion.

Him being dumped on valentines day would not only hurt, but its something he -DESERVES- given how he acts. Instead of him growing up as a character and realizing his actions caused these events, everyone gathers around him and shelters his bruised ego cause................no there's no logic in it, its just written out this way.

And we will -NOT- be pulling the "This is a comic, thus comic logic and its allowed to be silly!" and I'll simply bring up repeatedly the fact this comic is very, very, very, very serious a great deal of the time, and without sacrificing the main plot line or the main characters integrity, most humor is confined to one shots and off gags, not story arcs.

Bino has not shown one single redeemable quality to him for anybody to gang up around him and support him, the group of guys would be going "Couldn't have happened better to a worse guy" rather then "We need to get him hooked back up with her!"

I mean ****, if you want to bash personalities, hook him up with Duchess, somebody he has an infatuation with to begin with. Both of them think the world revolves around them, both of them think the other dogs are beneath them, both of them think everything should be given to them, both of them fail to see how reality works around them and distort it until it supports their own world views.

Would they last long? Probably not, but misery attracts company, even if they were not together for long, they would probably find comfort in each other for a short time.

You've clearly established Sasha isn't so much "Stupid" as more that she is naive, and her personality reflects that of an abused wife in an abused household, one that's bubbly and cheery and happy to all outside appearances, but in private is upset and scared that the people in their lives they still manage to care about will hurt them, but possibly even leave them.

Sasha in my eyes telling Bino to hit the road just shows to me that she's understanding that toxic relationships don't work, this can even carry on into her own household and demanding more love and respect from her owner, I mean, that -IS- what this whole comic is about right? Validating anthro people on the same level as human people correct? And now you want her to toss away her feelings for hammed up writing?

I personally see her sitting in the post breakup cycle, we all say that some people have "Attitudes that nobody can bring down" but this often just ends up being a shield for people to say really offensive things to the person and not feel guilty about it, and if she told Bino to leave, she is obviously very unhappy about something in order to call that relationship quits. You even show her that she's capable of feeling hurt ("I'm sorry daddy, yes daddy, I love you, daddy" christmas page, taking offense when King points out he's a drunk, current page with her taking offense when other dog tells her to shut up etc) so why not validate that direction, and proceed with character growth.

The only, -ONLY- way I can see this current ark working is if Sasha read one of those -REALLY- stupid Cosmo articles in the past of "Make your boyfriend show he cares by fake breaking up with him, and see if he tries to take you back". Let me point out that article was the biggest black mark and blight in american history to social standards. That article has been torn up, burned, and buried more times then I can remember, its regarded in history today as the absolute worst magazine article to ever be written, even today. The damage that did to relationships, and people's feelings by turning them into a game ruined -SO- many lives for quite a while. So if you want to go with that really toxic approach, go ahead, but it would make sense.

Anyways, just thought I would comment about what I see wrong storywise for the current arc, or at least, what feels wrong to me based on psychology studies of the human psyche and common human behavioral studies. Thanks for the time if you read this Rick.

Mod Edit: Use of that name as profanity is not allowed here.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

The tendency of a certain segment of fans to treat Bino as the comic's Hitler (or other irredeemable, utterly evil figure) analog is really quite unfortunate. It even blinds them to the failings of other characters. Sasha isn't blameless. She's cheated on Bino, conspired with King to steal Bino's property, and even broke up with Bino on St. Valentine's Day, when he was (as some might say) experiencing character development of his own.
that -IS- what this whole comic is about right? Validating anthro people on the same level as human people correct?
No, this is a mostly-comedy Web comic with no overarching theme or central message, aside from 'animals are cute and funny.' You'll notice there is a joke in even the most serious strips.

Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Yeah, just 'cause Bino's a jerk doesn't mean he can't be wronged, or that he is irredeemably evil. Characters are more complex than that.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Dissension wrote:The tendency of a certain segment of fans to treat Bino as the comic's Hitler (or other irredeemable, utterly evil figure) analog is really quite unfortunate. It even blinds them to the failings of other characters. Sasha isn't blameless. She's cheated on Bino, conspired with King to steal Bino's property, and even broke up with Bino on St. Valentine's Day, when he was (as some might say) experiencing character development of his own.
I think people treat Bino and, since they are in the same vain, the Cosmic Nerds, as Evil rather then the childish selfish jerks that they are is because they are the closest thing to "evil" we have in this comic. Their isn't really a villain so people cling to the best ones they have to fill the void. It isn't fair and it really sucks but its why people do it.
Karl

Post by Karl »

Aticston wrote:He's proven to be the most unlikable **** in Housepets for a long shot, so much so that remember The good ol boy's has a rule specifically for him that injuring Bino is not a cause for expulsion.
You're saying that because you're blind and don't want to open your eyes on comic, characters and some silliness the author silently puts it.
And like all other people do, Bino is not a pure evil being. It's people misjudgment of his character and their overreacting on some things that occur in the comic.
I'm a bookworm!
JohnWillow

Post by JohnWillow »

The last few strips would have you believe that Fox would be next in line but I notice there are three white streaks next to "WOO YEAH!"

https://www.housepetscomic.com/2013/02/ ... alentines/

I think Rick's about to introduce a new character
Spike - "Seriously, a talking Dog is the weird thing about all this"

Me - "Not at all, the fact that you're a dog and not a lizard is much weirder"
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Loyalty is a dog trait in many fictions. The Dogs at first seem to be just there for Fido's sake, but it could also be said that certain dogs, like Fox, are trying their hardest to get Bino and Sasha to stay with each other because they see them two having redeemable qualities. The problem is, Bino is not really bad I find, just extremely stubborn to the point that he's rooted into whatever he has his mind set on. You tell him to hate cats? He'll hate them even if he found the cats life much more interesting just because somewhere down the road, he was told "cats are bad and you should feel ashamed for doing so". Same goes for Sasha also, but that can be what the dogs find the redeemable quality in him as well. He's so stubborn when it comes to Sasha it is his redeeming trait in dating her. For all we know, this is why Sasha keeps getting back to him, even if he is a jerk.

Best part of Sasha today ~ She thinks her brain is trying to sabotage her. I think we should call the act alone "Sashatage".

string is a cool word too!
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
valerio

Post by valerio »

JohnWillow wrote:The last few strips would have you believe that Fox would be next in line but I notice there are three white streaks next to "WOO YEAH!"

hardly so, IMO: that was a collective shout of joy, as the fans of Sasha are quite numerous.
---
Karlos wrote:
Aticston wrote:He's proven to be the most unlikable **** in Housepets for a long shot, so much so that remember The good ol boy's has a rule specifically for him that injuring Bino is not a cause for expulsion.
You're saying that because you're blind and don't want to open your eyes on comic, characters and some silliness the author silently puts it.
And like all other people do, Bino is not a pure evil being. It's people misjudgment of his character and their overreacting on some things that occur in the comic.
Let's put it this way: the *nicest* thing he did so far was giving Sasha white chocolates for Valentines, in the first display of affection ever shown in these five years of Housepets!
He's not evil, I agree on that, and he's surely not stereotypical in his acting...but there are times one would gladly strangle him. Slowly.
Karl

Post by Karl »

valerio wrote:...but there are times one would gladly strangle him. Slowly.
If you have such thoughts, then you take some things too seriously.
GameCobra wrote:string is a cool word too!
String Spring!
I'm a bookworm!
Radio Blue Heart

I don't think it is the end for Sasha and Yeltsin. Given her relationships with her owner and Bino, she likes abusive, short-tempered men!
-Virgil
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I don't think she likes being abused, I just think she's been brainwashed by her owner into thinking he's being loving.
Macsen

Post by Macsen »

I just noticed Rick decided to depict Yeltsin with his right eye put out.
Aticston wrote:-WHY- is everyone sticking their necks out for Bino?
Loyalty is a canine trait. The fact that they can beat him up and not get thrown out helps, I think.
Gren

Post by Gren »

I don't know why Bino is hated so much, he is a really good character with a LOT of potential. I honestly would hate if he were changed in some type of redemption. Bino is perfect as is, don't try to change him. We just didn't saw all his potential because he is not associated with the right characters when he is starring an arc.

However, I think it's fine people criticize and explain their point of view and why something like him/her or not. It's impossible people just like everything as it is, everyone have their likes. But that doesn't mean we should complain in everything just to try to adapt the comic to our own preferences. What matters the most is what the author likes and we should have to adapt to it, but of course, is not wrong if you want to give a suggestion or a constructive criticism once in a while.

For example, this arc is a bit boring to me because romance, fanservice and this sort of things not arouse much my interest unless it is accompanied with a bit of drama and conflict. Besides, I don't like much Fox and Sasha. But that is just my own preference, and I'm pretty aware that there's other people who like the way this is going, and I suppose the person who like it the most is the author itself (and that's why he is doing this that way).

And if I had to give a suggestion, I'll say I would like to see again the characters forgotten in the past, like Jasper, Res, Rufus, the barn cats, Terrance, etc. And it would nice if we could see more often some others characters like Rex, Marvin, Tiger, Duchess, etc. Of course I'm not saying they'll have to have long story arc, just telling that they could appear once in a while in one-off and mini-arc of three comics. Just saying this because it's a shame that such a good characters never have the chance to shine.
ImageImage
Karl

Post by Karl »

Kitch wrote:I just noticed Rick decided to depict Yeltsin with his right eye put out.
He has a cybernetic eye with micro nuclear drive.
I'm a bookworm!
PhoenixAsper

Post by PhoenixAsper »

With the amount of crud Sasha puts up with, and still manages to stay cheery and upbeat, she's either brain-damaged, psychotically broken, or just a REALLY strong, enduring, and positive soul. Given what comic this is, I'm inclined to think the third one. ;)
Gren

Post by Gren »

PhoenixAsper wrote:With the amount of crud Sasha puts up with, and still manages to stay cheery and upbeat, she's either brain-damaged, psychotically broken, or just a REALLY strong, enduring, and positive soul. Given what comic this is, I'm inclined to think the third one. ;)
I think is a bit of the three. :lol:
ImageImage
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

JohnWillow wrote:The last few strips would have you believe that Fox would be next in line but I notice there are three white streaks next to "WOO YEAH!"

I think it's Boris.
Gren wrote:And if I had to give a suggestion, I'll say I would like to see again the characters forgotten in the past, like Jasper, Res, Rufus, the barn cats, Terrance, etc. And it would nice if we could see more often some others characters like Rex, Marvin, Tiger, Duchess, etc. Of course I'm not saying they'll have to have long story arc, just telling that they could appear once in a while in one-off and mini-arc of three comics. Just saying this because it's a shame that such a good characters never have the chance to shine.
well the barn cats and Rufus are at Uncle Ruben's farm, so they're unlikely to appear again unless there's an entire arc devoted to the farm. as fo all the others you mentioned, I agree. I'd like to see them appear more.

now onto my thoughts on Bino and Sasha. Bino isn't the best boyfriend. He takes Sasha for granted (which is kinda dumb of him considering she leaves him to try and get with Fido on a fairly regular basis. you'd think he'd consider the possibility that she'd leave him for others eventually), but that might change with this arc. Maybe now that she broke up with him, he'll try harder to keep her if he gets her back.
meanwhile, Sasha is also not the best girlfriend, considering she's always chasing after Fido. Maybe if this arc changes Bino for the better in their relationship, she'll be less likely to leave him even for Fido.

so while this arc probably won't have them grow as characters much, it does have potential for them to grow as a couple.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Karlos wrote:
Kitch wrote:I just noticed Rick decided to depict Yeltsin with his right eye put out.
He has a cybernetic eye with micro nuclear drive.
What kind of a ridiculous excuse for a dog has a cybernetic eye?
Gren

Post by Gren »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote: well the barn cats and Rufus are at Uncle Ruben's farm, so they're unlikely to appear again unless there's an entire arc devoted to the farm. as for all the others you mentioned, I agree. I'd like to see them appear more.
That's why I suggested one-off or mini-arcs, but I suppose Rick have planned this comic only to be focused in Babylon Gardens so the others characters who are outsiders are never gonna have the chance to have their comics unless they're in the city or with one of the protagonist. And this thought is supported with the fact that he was forced to bring Bailey from Kansas just so she have the opportunity to appear more often and continue with the plot of King's story, instead of making King move to Kansas.
That is in part why I would like they at least appear in one-off and this sort of things, because characters like Rufus, the barn cats and Res are going to be forgotten in the past, and it's a shame since they are so good characters.

And about this arc, I honestly didn't care to much how is going to end, the only thing that worries me is if Bino's personality is going to change, not just because Sasha, but rather because there's a lot of people complain against him. I hope this not happen, because I like the way he is now.
ImageImage
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Personally I dislike Bino for the same reason I dislike Zapp Brannigan. Take that as you will.

Well, Yeltsin likes the silent type, just like him, I guess.

Sasha has a gift for gab, eh?
My characters
Everybody has a story to tell. What's yours?
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

@Aticston: while I do agree with most of your points, you should just not get too involved with the story anymore. Remember when Fido just left the club house leaving King to be humiliated and hurt back in the watch arc? No signs of this trait in his character and saying "he's scared of his brother" is a null point since he made everyone else take Peanut back.
Have a consistent personality isn't hard to accomplish even in comedy stories (I can show some comedy mangas with consistent personalities). But, it's better to just look at the current comic see if takes a laugh or not, then wait to the next update. Inconsistence was already discussed here and it's always going to happen, so it's better to let go and don't feel attached to the story anymore. It's only going to annoy and anger you if you do.
Shameless advertisement of my fanfics: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/880961/Angelus-alvus
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

It's a shame people prefer flat, two-dimensional characters to rich, fleshed-out ones. Real people don't remain static, why should we settle for characters that never change and who have no flaws (or, in some instances, positive traits)?

I've not seen the kind of gross inconsistency you allege. Rhe only discussion of inconsiatency I recall was related to art style. If you no longer enjoy the comic, you are not obligated to continue reading it or participate in discussion here. Additionally, please bear in mind the author is a fellow human with his own ideas and emotions and you are no more allowed to attack, belittle, or insult him than you are any other member.

angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

Dissension wrote:It's a shame people prefer flat, two-dimensional characters to rich, fleshed-out ones. Real people don't remain static, why should we settle for characters that never change and who have no flaws (or, in some instances, positive traits)?

If you no longer enjoy the comic, you are not obligated to continue reading it or participate in discussion here. Additionally, please bear in mind the author is a fellow human with his own ideas and emotions and you are no more allowed to attack, belittle, or insult him than you are any other member.
uh...I never said I like two dimentional characters. What I'm saying is that the character's personalities sometimes feel odd or contradictory and say "they're dogs, that's how they are" IS pretty much saying that "they're two-dimensional." So far they have no legit reason to follow Bino around unless they fear him for some reason or because they had an election.
I admit I don't find the comic as enjoyable as before and I keep reading it because I'm curious to see how the cosmic folk and King story arcs will end. I refrain myself from actually giving rants on the story anymore and I only did so now to say to Aticston that he shouldn't be too attached to the comic because of the story (like I did). If it doesn't live to the high expectation, then it'll just anger him/her.