My Little Pony

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

JohnWillow

Re: My Little Pony

Post by JohnWillow »

Wooh...what a rush 8-)

I just knew there'd be giant flashes of light somewhere in this episode.

I hope you fellers don't dogpile me and chain me to a sinking ship but I don't think Twilight suits having wings, they make her kind of funny looking.

I can't mind her name but did anyone notice the OC with blue hair and glasses
Spike - "Seriously, a talking Dog is the weird thing about all this"

Me - "Not at all, the fact that you're a dog and not a lizard is much weirder"
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

JohnWillow wrote:Wooh...what a rush 8-)

I just knew there'd be giant flashes of light somewhere in this episode.

I hope you fellers don't dogpile me and chain me to a sinking ship but I don't think Twilight suits having wings, they make her kind of funny looking.

Her name is Vinyl Scratch and she isn't really an OC she is just an incidental background pony that they use to fill up space that happened to get really popular after her first appearance because she looked cool.
Kyderra

Post by Kyderra »

JohnWillow wrote:Wooh...what a rush 8-)

JohnWillow wrote:notice the OC with blue hair and glasses
JohnWillow wrote:OC with blue hair
JohnWillow wrote:OC

"Why would you ever want to connect the dots?"
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Kyderra, you have me on the floor laughing.

Anyway, after several listenings to all the songs from the episode, I have decided that Celestia's Ballad is my favorite. It's mystical, elegant, and beautiful.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I noticed the Art of the Dress quote but I didn't notice Winter Wrap Up!

And Vinyl Scratch might as well be an OC. 99% of her "personality" is entirely fabricated by the fans.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Sleet wrote:And Vinyl Scratch might as well be an OC. 99% of her "personality" is entirely fabricated by the fans.
Not that that's a bad thing. I think it's rather cool fans have, somehow, mutually filled these empty vessels with personalities and quirks that most can agree on.
Kyderra

Post by Kyderra »

Even better is that she's a actual person that can make good music.
She is also the Voice in almost all the fan video's.
"Why would you ever want to connect the dots?"
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Though I'm still annoyed that the fandom decided that Vinyl Scratch is a dubstep musician for some reason.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

Any time a character does not live up to fan expectations, I blame it on the Changelings.

"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Dang it, I can't get enough of Celestia's awesome animation during her song.

*puts video on repeat*
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Sleet wrote:Though I'm still annoyed that the fandom decided that Vinyl Scratch is a dubstep musician for some reason.

Same. I like to think of her as a connoisseur of music who just happens to be most well known for electronic/dance (which includes a LOT more than just dubstep) music because her current job calls for more upbeat songs that are good for dancing to.

I also like to think she's got a secret soft spot for jazz and often implements it into her party tracks.
"When you're falling in a forest and there's nobody around,
do you ever really crash or even make a sound?"
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

I like to think she's the Jaden Yuki of music. :)

For those who get that, I salute you.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

KJOokami wrote:
Sleet wrote:Though I'm still annoyed that the fandom decided that Vinyl Scratch is a dubstep musician for some reason.

Same. I like to think of her as a connoisseur of music who just happens to be most well known for electronic/dance (which includes a LOT more than just dubstep) music because her current job calls for more upbeat songs that are good for dancing to.

I also like to think she's got a secret soft spot for jazz and often implements it into her party tracks.
I just view her as a DJ who predominantly plays pop and upbeat dance music. Because that's what she is in the show. While I'm sure she plays more than just that, there's absolutely no reason to make dubstep her "thing" other than smelly nerds with an extremely narrow taste in music inserting their favorite genre du jour into the speculated characterization of someone else's creation.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Got some time to see the final episode. I found it awesome seeing everyone in different roles <3

And lots of singing... sooooo much singing. Nothing wrong with that, but it somehow reminded me of that Final Fantasy Opera.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

So in the extended interviews for the Bony Documentary it turns out that Laurens original plans for Twilight was to have her be Celestias successor. I now want every single person who is still mad about Twilicorn to shut up. While she very likely didn't want her to become an Alicorn, THIS IS LIKE 90% SAME THING! Every member of this fandom that has complained that what happened was not what Lauren wanted therefore its terrible and ruins the show now have absolutely no leg to stand on. She would have done it anyway. The months of anger and hate and mud slinging at Hasbro and the writers was all for absolutely nothing.
JohnWillow

Post by JohnWillow »

IceKitsune wrote:So in the extended interviews for the Bony Documentary it turns out that Laurens original plans for Twilight was to have her be Celestias successor. I now want every single person who is still mad about Twilicorn to shut up. While she very likely didn't want her to become an Alicorn, THIS IS LIKE 90% SAME THING! Every member of this fandom that has complained that what happened was not what Lauren wanted therefore its terrible and ruins the show now have absolutely no leg to stand on. She would have done it anyway. The months of anger and hate and mud slinging at Hasbro and the writers was all for absolutely nothing.
Well said IceKit.

I wonder if Twilight's powers will get a boost, and what is she princess of
Spike - "Seriously, a talking Dog is the weird thing about all this"

Me - "Not at all, the fact that you're a dog and not a lizard is much weirder"
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

JohnWillow wrote:
IceKitsune wrote:So in the extended interviews for the Bony Documentary it turns out that Laurens original plans for Twilight was to have her be Celestias successor. I now want every single person who is still mad about Twilicorn to shut up. While she very likely didn't want her to become an Alicorn, THIS IS LIKE 90% SAME THING! Every member of this fandom that has complained that what happened was not what Lauren wanted therefore its terrible and ruins the show now have absolutely no leg to stand on. She would have done it anyway. The months of anger and hate and mud slinging at Hasbro and the writers was all for absolutely nothing.
Well said IceKit.

I wonder if Twilight's powers will get a boost, and what is she princess of
Its very likely they did get a boost and as for what she is the princess of I would guess Magic, but Friendship is also a very very likely possibility.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

My bet is punk.

*smacked*
Macsen

Post by Macsen »

Kyderra wrote:Image
So.... awesome. /)^3^(\
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

So I was listening to Celestia's Ballad for, I don't know, the 12th time or something, and a question occurred to me.

What, exactly, was Star Swirl's spell supposed to do?
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Penwrite wrote:So I was listening to Celestia's Ballad for, I don't know, the 12th time or something, and a question occurred to me.

What, exactly, was Star Swirl's spell supposed to do?
Giving what finishing it did its likely the writers were trying to imply that Star Swirl wanted to become an Alicorn by messing with Cutie Marks and Destiny.
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Huh. You know, the more we learn the more Star Swirl sounds kinda evil.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Penwrite wrote:Huh. You know, the more we learn the more Star Swirl sounds kinda evil.
Even if I'm right that doesn't exactly sound evil to me. It sounds like someone who wanted to try and do something that had never been done before and just messed up. Remember considering that there was no counter spell to its effect (and it wasn't finished) he never cast it. Calling him evil because his unfinished spell had an unknown and undesired effect is like all the people that portray Celestia as a secret evil tyrant who manipulates everyone for her own ends. (Which by the way I for the life of me still don't get this portrayal of her)
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Sleet wrote:I just view her as a DJ who predominantly plays pop and upbeat dance music. Because that's what she is in the show.
To me, that seems just as bad, but on the opposite end of the spectrum. :B I mean, the whole reason these background characters are even characters is because someone saw fit to point them out, name them, and give them basic personalities based around what little we've seen of them. It's only natural to want to expound on that basic personality in order to make the character interesting.

So while I agree the whole "DJ = dubstep fanatic" thing is lame, I can't say I find limiting a character with so little canonical presence to "canon" to be all that interesting either. :/
IceKitsune wrote:Even if I'm right that doesn't exactly sound evil to me. It sounds like someone who wanted to try and do something that had never been done before and just messed up.
While not inherently evil, per se, it does sound remarkably similar to the beginnings of several classic villains: tampering with powers beyond one's comprehension in order to attain power.

Even if his intentions were good (which I have no particular reason to doubt, but still), that sort of thing often has a tendency to corrupt even the best of people--or ponies, as the case may be. That added to Celestia's statement that he "didn't understand friendship" the way Twilight does (a round-about way of saying he didn't have friends at all?) could very easily be taken to mean that Twilight not only completed what Starswirl could not, but also avoided the same fate that befell him.

Entirely speculation, obviously, but it really isn't that much of a stretch.
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

I got it. Star Swirl shaved his beard and renamed himself Sombra. :P

Kidding. But anyway, perhaps people go with dubstep for Vinyl because it makes for some funny shenanigans with Octavia?

Hm, for that matter, I wonder who first paired Vinyl and Octavia together as friends. That's an awesome bit of fandom there.
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

I think it is because dubstep sounds like what most people think would happen if a hoofed creature tried to manipulate a mixing board.
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

KJOokami wrote:So while I agree the whole "DJ = dubstep fanatic" thing is lame, I can't say I find limiting a character with so little canonical presence to "canon" to be all that interesting either. :/
I'm not saying we shouldn't be allowed to characterize background characters, I just think we should try to extrapolate from what we know about the character rather than project our own musical tastes onto them.
Radio Blue Heart wrote:I think it is because dubstep sounds like what most people think would happen if a hoofed creature tried to manipulate a mixing board.
Hehe. That's a good answer. :P
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Well the .MOV series is finished SWAG.MOV was ok and I liked the ending with Applejack and no one caring about her adventures at all. Over all however they are really overrated IMO even APPLE.MOV.

There are some neat freeze frame things in it as well If you are Homestuck fan or a GameGrumps fan one of the crowd shots have some ponies for you.
exranio

Post by exranio »

Well the dubstep is is associated with Vinyl because of when the episode started. 2 years ago is pretty much when dubstep was being like the the biggest thing in electronic music. So since that was like the big thing of electronic that's what she became associated with.

That aside, I finished this
So check out my Deviant art http://exranion.deviantart.com/ It has ponies, furries, and the link to my tumblr!
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

IceKitsune wrote:Well the .MOV series is finished SWAG.MOV was ok and I liked the ending with Applejack and no one caring about her adventures at all. Over all however they are really overrated IMO even APPLE.MOV.
I wanted a tearful reuinion between Jappleack and Applebloom, considering Applebloom was dead in the timeline that she remembered.
but I guess that would have gone against the tone of the series.

also, if you didn't know but were interested in what happened to Jappleack, It all happened in the tumblr ask-jappleack. no link for reasons that should be obvious if you watch the series.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:
IceKitsune wrote:Well the .MOV series is finished SWAG.MOV was ok and I liked the ending with Applejack and no one caring about her adventures at all. Over all however they are really overrated IMO even APPLE.MOV.
I wanted a tearful reuinion between Jappleack and Applebloom, considering Applebloom was dead in the timeline that she remembered.
but I guess that would have gone against the tone of the series.

also, if you didn't know but were interested in what happened to Jappleack, It all happened in the tumblr ask-jappleack. no link for reasons that should be obvious if you watch the series.
Well the Tumblr isn't finished so hes going to wrap it up and do that stuff there.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

to be fair, he hadn't posted the thing implying it wasn't done when I made my post. but I figured he might do that.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Swag.MOV was pretty good by recent .MOV standards. It's kinda stretched too far from what made Apple.MOV good but at least it wasn't cringe-worthy.

And I loved the Homestuck ponies!
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

So with another Hiatus on us anyone have any fanfics they are going to read to fill the time? What about Pony Games you might be interested in? Personally I've been playing Minty Fresh Adventure lately, its a really good little Metroidvania which you should play if you haven't yet.
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

I have a bunch of fics saved in my favorites bar. Eight of them to be exact. (Although one of them is actually one that I'm pre-reading.)

If anyone would like a suggestion for a fic to read that they know will actually be well written from the beginning, I can give you one or two to check out.

Otherwise I'm not really doing much between the seasons.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Between seasons I'll be doing pretty much what I've been doing during S3. Reading fanfics I never got around to before, doing VA work for any pony projects I can get myself into, and hopefully doing some more recording. I think I wanna try doing more parody work since I actually had a lot of fun with the parody I made of So Many Wonders however-many-months-back.

Also, my Ultimate Pony Showdown vid, in addition to being far and away the most popular upload on my Youtube channel, has also apparently been put into Everfree Radio's lineup recently. I got a comment a couple weeks ago of someone saying they heard it while listening, and I just got a couple more comments in the last two days saying the same. So since Penwrite was the one who came up with the idea and gave me the lyrics, I thought it would be appropriate to let him know that his work is appreciated. :3
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

well, I'll just be doing my normal thing. I can go a little while without new pony.
also, now I really wish I'd been able to find someone to record the instruments for our collab, KJ. now I really wish I could find an instrumentalist and a new singer. :/

on an unrelated note, There's apparently a pony hypnosis thing, where you listen to a guy hypnotizing you into thinking you're a pony (while still being semi-aware that you are not, in fact, a pony). I tried it and it was helping me relax (not quite to being a pony). then Youtube decided it needed buffering and broke the rhythm of the hypnosis :/
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

KJOokami wrote:Between seasons I'll be doing pretty much what I've been doing during S3. Reading fanfics I never got around to before, doing VA work for any pony projects I can get myself into, and hopefully doing some more recording. I think I wanna try doing more parody work since I actually had a lot of fun with the parody I made of So Many Wonders however-many-months-back.

Also, my Ultimate Pony Showdown vid, in addition to being far and away the most popular upload on my Youtube channel, has also apparently been put into Everfree Radio's lineup recently. I got a comment a couple weeks ago of someone saying they heard it while listening, and I just got a couple more comments in the last two days saying the same. So since Penwrite was the one who came up with the idea and gave me the lyrics, I thought it would be appropriate to let him know that his work is appreciated. :3
*squees and flails around in happiness*

This makes me want to do some more songs like that. :)
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I'm always skeptical of those audio hypnosis things. It seems kinda silly.

I generally don't do much with MLP during the off-season. I'm a fan of the show more than the fandom, so I just occupy my time with other things.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Crystal Heart Spell Mini Book This looks interesting. Its the first glimpse into Alicorn Twilight and how Cadance became an Alicorn. I want to see this one and I wonder if its going to be canon to the show it sounds like it would be. People are speculating that this is in fact a condensed version of the Season 4 premiere, which considering its a direct continuation of the season 3 finale it is very possible. If that is the case then season 4 might not be as far off as we think.

Edit: Given what was said at the writers room at the Convention Its a pretty good bet that this book is in fact a condensed version of the opener for season 4 Writers Room Panel Perhaps an older version of the script though.