My Little Pony

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Penwrite

Re: My Little Pony

Post by Penwrite »

IceKitsune wrote:Three episodes that come to mind right away for season 4. The Obvious Dash and Twilight episode were she learns more about flying, one where she learns about being a princess and how to balance between that and her freinds; and one where her freinds run her ragged because of her new powers by asking for a bunch of favors.
That last one kinda reminds me of The Ticket Master.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Penwrite wrote:
IceKitsune wrote:Three episodes that come to mind right away for season 4. The Obvious Dash and Twilight episode were she learns more about flying, one where she learns about being a princess and how to balance between that and her freinds; and one where her freinds run her ragged because of her new powers by asking for a bunch of favors.
That last one kinda reminds me of The Ticket Master.
Yeah it is a bit in premise, but it would be it would be handled very differently in execution.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

it's also similar in concept to Suited for Success

as for the episode, I'm still not quite done because for some reason Youtube is taking ages to load the HD version so It's still loading the end even though I started over 3 hours ago
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:it's also similar in concept to Suited for Success
IMO that is a bit more of a stretch but I see where your going with it.

Edit: Also did anyone else notice that Celestia basically gave out the real names of each of the elements (and ones that actually make a bit more sense) when Twilight got her wings? She called them charity, compassion, devotion, integrity, optimism, and leadership
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

dang it Youtube.
I just opened another tab of the same video, same quality. It's done loading only a few minutes after the one I was watching the episode on finished, hours after I started it. :/

I'm gonna go rewatch the episode in full screen HD uninterrupted.

I notice some facts seem to be jumbled here. the spell switched around the elements, but not all of the characters seemed to abandon their elements (ie, Fluttershy was still kind)
also, If Rainbow Dash's cutie mark appeared when she discovered she loved racing, why did getting her cutie mark leave Rarity in charge of the weather?
If Rarity's cutie mark has to do with her ability to find gems, why did getting it leave Applejack making dresses without gems?
Now, these things make sense for some of the others. Applejack's cutie mark has to do with the farm, Pinkie's was for making people happy with parties (so the element switch makes sense too) and Fluttershy's was for caring for animals. but still, I think the spell didn't only effect their destiny (which would likely only alter the cutie marks and elements) but it also changed something else that somehow changed the jobs they had that had nothing to do with their cutie marks.

of course, I guess the cutie mark is a thing you can discover parts of, then you get it when you get the last piece. diamonds do have to do with fashion, fashion is her destiny and the diamonds are just part. Maybe dash's destiny is quickly handling the weather because of the lightning bolt cloud thing. I guess the apple for Applejack has more to do with helping out the Apple family farm than just the apples themselves.

and I just now realized that Twilight's cutie mark represents her surrounded by the rest of the mane 6.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

IceKitsune wrote:
RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:it's also similar in concept to Suited for Success
IMO that is a bit more of a stretch but I see where your going with it.

Edit: Also did anyone else notice that Celestia basically gave out the real names of each of the elements (and ones that actually make a bit more sense) when Twilight got her wings? She called them charity, compassion, devotion, integrity, optimism, and leadership
Yeah, I did notice that. And honestly, I like those names a whole lot more. I don't know, I guess they thought the other names were more child-friendly or something.
mariomarc

Post by mariomarc »

that was much better then i expected
honestly it just felt rushed
besides that it was great
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

someone on my anime club's forums said he thinks the last line was specifically targeted at the bronies, telling them not to freak out about twilicorn

also, why do people spell it twilacorn when it's Twilight + Alicorn?
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:someone on my anime club's forums said he thinks the last line was specifically targeted at the bronies, telling them not to freak out about twilicorn

also, why do people spell it twilacorn when it's Twilight + Alicorn?
Because its an easy short hand even if its technically wrong.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

how is pressing a easier than pressing i? twilicorn makes perfect sense.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:dang it Youtube.
I just opened another tab of the same video, same quality. It's done loading only a few minutes after the one I was watching the episode on finished, hours after I started it. :/

I'm gonna go rewatch the episode in full screen HD uninterrupted.

I notice some facts seem to be jumbled here. the spell switched around the elements, but not all of the characters seemed to abandon their elements (ie, Fluttershy was still kind)
also, If Rainbow Dash's cutie mark appeared when she discovered she loved racing, why did getting her cutie mark leave Rarity in charge of the weather?
If Rarity's cutie mark has to do with her ability to find gems, why did getting it leave Applejack making dresses without gems?
Now, these things make sense for some of the others. Applejack's cutie mark has to do with the farm, Pinkie's was for making people happy with parties (so the element switch makes sense too) and Fluttershy's was for caring for animals. but still, I think the spell didn't only effect their destiny (which would likely only alter the cutie marks and elements) but it also changed something else that somehow changed the jobs they had that had nothing to do with their cutie marks.

of course, I guess the cutie mark is a thing you can discover parts of, then you get it when you get the last piece. diamonds do have to do with fashion, fashion is her destiny and the diamonds are just part. Maybe dash's destiny is quickly handling the weather because of the lightning bolt cloud thing. I guess the apple for Applejack has more to do with helping out the Apple family farm than just the apples themselves.

and I just now realized that Twilight's cutie mark represents her surrounded by the rest of the mane 6.

I think its likely because when the ponies who got the cutie marks couldn't actually do what the cutie mark actually represented (ie. Rarity can't fly, Applejack doesn't have magic) it defaulted to a secondary description, its also very likely cutie marks are a bit more complex then we think, much like the EOH and their different names. Yeah a lot of people pointed that out a bit ago
RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:how is pressing a easier than pressing i? twilicorn makes perfect sense.
uh people kept making the mistake and it stuck I guess, I don't know.
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:also, why do people spell it twilacorn when it's Twilight + Alicorn?
I'd think that has more to do with people's tendency to *not* think before they type than it is a conscious decision to spell it differently.

My thoughts on the episode: it was alright. Most of the songs were decent (and I liked a couple of them a lot; though nothing I'd call particularly great), and it was nice that they added Derpy into several scenes. My most common complaint with episodes like this (pacing) was pretty much cranked up to 11 in this episode, and that kinda killed any chance of me being able to truly enjoy it.

Aside from that, I'm really gonna have to wait for the "parts 2 and 3" that McCarthy talked about on her twitter to really come to a full conclusion on this episode. A lot of what I think about the episode is dependent on how S4 plays out, since they really left us on some pretty massive questions. Like, how does Twilight's new position affect the dynamic of the mane six? Will Twilight still be living in Ponyville? What new responsibilities is this title going to place on her? Is she going to be treated differently now by other ponies?

While I have complete faith in the team to make S4 just as entertaining as the last three, I'm still gonna have to sit on all of these questions for the next however-many-months to see just how they plan to go about things. So while it wasn't technically a cliffhanger, it still created more questions than it answered. Which irks me. :I
"When you're falling in a forest and there's nobody around,
do you ever really crash or even make a sound?"
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

I don't know about anyone else, but Twilacorn flows off the tongue easier than Twilicorn.

*shrug*
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

I suppose that's just a difference in pronunciation, cause I pronounce them about the same.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

KJOokami wrote:
Aside from that, I'm really gonna have to wait for the "parts 2 and 3" that McCarthy talked about on her twitter to really come to a full conclusion on this episode. A lot of what I think about the episode is dependent on how S4 plays out, since they really left us on some pretty massive questions. Like, how does Twilight's new position affect the dynamic of the mane six? Will Twilight still be living in Ponyville? What new responsibilities is this title going to place on her? Is she going to be treated differently now by other ponies?

While I have complete faith in the team to make S4 just as entertaining as the last three, I'm still gonna have to sit on all of these questions for the next however-many-months to see just how they plan to go about things. So while it wasn't technically a cliffhanger, it still created more questions than it answered. Which irks me. :I
They likely will have an episode or two that deals with how the mane 6 are going to act around Twilight now but really here is how I see it playing out: outside of formal areas and events they are going to act exactly like they normally do with very little to no differences really. There will likely be points were they bow and stuff and she has to tell them not to. Other ponies will act likely much like they do with Celestia but a bit less formal. As for where she will live likely still in ponyville in the library (this part is confirmed in some interviews) with likely some kind of castleish addons, just because I doubt they will change the dynamic of the show that much.

As for her responsibilities they will be much like Celestia and Lunas government wise (likely focusing on magic) I guess. Not that, that stuff will be heavily touched on but there is no way they can avoid it completely. However I could see her being the one that tackles magic and friendship problems much like Celestia and Luna raise the sun and moon.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

I'm surprised none of us mentioned the best line in the episode.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:I'm surprised none of us mentioned the best line in the episode.
That line is so Twilight it hurt XD. Also Its Liquid Pride was another great line. I also loved when the town shouted "Pinkie!" when she came back.

Also I reiterate Twilight and Shining's Parents have got to be the most proud parents in the history of the universe.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

that is a good line, but Sleet did mention it.

and yeah, both their kids are royalty. and that probably gets them at least some respect when they go places.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Kyderra

Post by Kyderra »

pffff, I really disliked this, don't get me wrong, I loved the songs and the first part had a brilliant story,
Celstia starts to sing, oh my!

The first half as a whole episode would have been so much more fun as a full episode.

But the whole Alicorn thing... my brain.
Her friends bowing to her,

It goes against everything the show stood for.
Yeah, Lets turn Twilight into a mary sue.

ARG, no sir I din't like it.
I hope the toys wont sell and bites Hasbro in the flank.
"Why would you ever want to connect the dots?"
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

IceKitsune wrote:
RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:I'm surprised none of us mentioned the best line in the episode.
That line is so Twilight it hurt XD. Also Its Liquid Pride was another great line. I also loved when the town shouted "Pinkie!" when she came back.

Also I reiterate Twilight and Shining's Parents have got to be the most proud parents in the history of the universe.
I loved the way the whole town shouted Pinkie's name! XD I liked how this episode showed how positively the mane 6 have affected life in Ponyville.
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

Kyderra wrote:pffff, I really disliked this, don't get me wrong, I loved the songs and the first part had a brilliant story,
Celstia starts to sing, oh my!

The first half as a whole episode would have been so much more fun as a full episode.

But the whole Alicorn thing... my brain.
Her friends bowing to her,

It goes against everything the show stood for.
Yeah, Lets turn Twilight into a mary sue.

ARG, no sir I din't like it.
I hope the toys wont sell and bites Hasbro in the flank.
Her friends were bowing to her out of respect. Why is that so bad? I also don't get what everyone is calling her a Mary Sue for, she's always had Mary Sue elements from the first day of the show for goodness sake. But the toys are going to sell regardless, I'll tell you that.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Penwrite wrote:
IceKitsune wrote:

I loved the way the whole town shouted Pinkie's name! XD I liked how this episode showed how positively the mane 6 have affected life in Ponyville.
I liked that too but the things I really liked about this episode is it basically told us Cutie Marks mean exactly nothing and the Elements are not exactly what we think they are in terms of what they mean.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Kyderra wrote:Yeah, Lets turn Twilight into a mary sue.
What, exactly, has changed? She now has wings and is a princess. She's still the exact same person with the same flaws and the same personality.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Kyderra

Post by Kyderra »

Sleet wrote:
What, exactly, has changed? She now has wings and is a princess. She's still the exact same person with the same flaws and the same personality.
She's calm, collected and doesn't stress out anymore.
Or at least, that's what they are hinting at.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Kyderra wrote:
Sleet wrote:
She's calm, collected and doesn't stress out anymore.
Or at least, that's what they are hinting at.
Yes because she has grown as a character over the series and learned how to deal with it. As evidenced in Games Ponies Play, it was character development. Mary Sues don't learn to deal with things they just deal with them right off the bat. This didn't come out of nowhere.
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Penwrite wrote:This fits way too well.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos- ... 4833_n.png
Yeah I can see pretty much exactly that happening in season 4 at least once.

Also to bring up the elephant in the room about all of this, the very very likely Immortality of Twilight Sparkle. Do you actually think Alicorns are Immortal or not? Personally it makes for great story fodder but they are never going to touch on it in the show at least not in any serious way. However yes I think they are likely immortal we have no reason not to think they are and every reason to think they are.
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Well, Celestia and Luna seem pretty immortal, having known Star Swir-

Wait. I feel stupid. Luna recognized Twilight's Star Swirl costume in the Halloween episode, clearly having known him. And Clover the Clever was Star Swirl's apprentice, so Star Swirl was around before Equestria was founded. Does that mean Celestia and Luna were around even that far back?
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

I'm not so sure they're automatically immortal. We know age regression is a spell that can be performed if there's enough power, maybe Celestia and Luna use that to be virtually immortal, but Twilight and Cadence can choose to live out their days naturally with their loved ones.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

I'd imagine Celestia and Luna are immortal, but I'm not so sure about Twilight and Cadence.

When I try to apply logic to this kids show, I see that Cadence used to be Twilight's baby sitter when she was younger, and has obviously grown up some. For me this means that she ages and will therefor die one day.

It's all my opinion though.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Kyderra

Post by Kyderra »

Yeah, I feel like I need to apologize.

Watching the episode for a second time I'm not sure why I was in such a hissy fit about the ending. (think it has to do with a stressful day at work in the restaurant)
I actually loved the episode.

I mean, I just said I watched it twice,
I'll probably watch it a third time soon,

Not going to lie, I squee'd a little when Celstia started to sing, and it's a great song as well.
The episode is 22 minutes long but it felt really well phrased even tough so much happens.

Starts with song, again a song, again a song,... again.. *brain explodes*.

also, Derpy has been spotted 3 times in the episode so far.
Last edited by Kyderra on Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

JeffCvt wrote:I'd imagine Celestia and Luna are immortal, but I'm not so sure about Twilight and Cadence.

When I try to apply logic to this kids show, I see that Cadence used to be Twilight's baby sitter when she was younger, and has obviously grown up some. For me this means that she ages and will therefor die one day.

It's all my opinion though.
Well you have to remember with Cadence she was originally going to be a unicorn and the likely never changed her body when making her an Alicorn. However even if you ignore that, its possible they only stop aging after a certain point like a lot of immortals in fiction do.
Kyderra wrote:
5 times actually, one of which she winks at the camera.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I didn't spot any of them! I should rewatch it sometime.
Penwrite wrote:Wait. I feel stupid. Luna recognized Twilight's Star Swirl costume in the Halloween episode, clearly having known him. And Clover the Clever was Star Swirl's apprentice, so Star Swirl was around before Equestria was founded. Does that mean Celestia and Luna were around even that far back?
Isn't that what the prologue to Season 1 Episode 1 suggested?
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Kyderra wrote:Yeah, I feel like I need to apologize.

Watching the episode for a second time I'm not sure why I was in such a hissy fit about the ending. (think it has to do with a stressful day at work in the restaurant)
I actually loved the episode.

I mean, I just said I watched it twice,
I'll probably watch it a third time soon,

Not going to lie, I squee'd a little when Celstia started to sing, and it's a great song as well.
The episode is 22 minutes long but it felt really well phrased even tough so much happens.

Starts with song, again a song, again a song,... again.. *brain explodes*.

Glad you gave it a second try and that you enjoyed it so much more the second time. ^^ Indeed, it's really impressive it manages to be as well-paced as it is despite how much needs to happen in 22 minutes. The songs help.

Ya know what, maybe that's what every lackluster episode needs to be enjoyed! A second viewing! Yeah, of course! I'm gonna go watch Mare Do Well again and-

*comes back after watching Mare Do Well again*

Nope.

lol anyway, great to see Derpy again.
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

IceKitsune wrote:5 times actually, one of which she winks at the camera.
Yeah, I'm in a Skype chat with one of the EQD pre-readers, who is basically the self-proclaimed expert (addict) on all things Derpy. He was incredibly bummed that Derpy was missing from so many episodes in S3, so when she showed up (all over the freakin' place) in the finale, he was ecstatic and made sure to tell everyone the good news. Haha. He didn't turn off caps lock for a solid half hour or so after he'd finished scanning the episode for her appearances. :P
"When you're falling in a forest and there's nobody around,
do you ever really crash or even make a sound?"
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

I'm likely starting to believe the rumor that a story board artist said that she was over used so they cut back on her rather then Hasbro saying that they can't use her. Its likely at this point they just saved her for this episode considering how many times she was in it.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

I just realized something. If the mane 6-twilight were the only ones who were effected, how the heck did Pinkie drive the farm to ruin in the short time she had applejack's cutie mark, even ignoring that the rest of the apple family should have still been tending to the farm? I mean, it was one day and all the trees had lost their leaves. Then again, how did they completely revive an apple farm that was that far gone in less than a day? I guess zap apple trees aren't the only apples that grow ridiculously fast, and that the farm needs constant care.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:I just realized something. If the mane 6-twilight were the only ones who were effected, how the heck did Pinkie drive the farm to ruin in the short time she had applejack's cutie mark, even ignoring that the rest of the apple family should have still been tending to the farm? I mean, it was one day and all the trees had lost their leaves. Then again, how did they completely revive an apple farm that was that far gone in less than a day? I guess zap apple trees aren't the only apples that grow ridiculously fast, and that the farm needs constant care.
I would guess the messed up spell made everything like that and when they put things back to normal the spell reversed it self and put the farm back to the way it was too. Much like how the EOH put Ponyville back to normal after Discord.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Pinkie was really bad at harvesting apples. About as bad as Sweetie Belle is at cooking, of course.
Kyderra

Post by Kyderra »

So, how many of you cached 'Winter Wrap up' and 'Art of the dress' being referenced in the song?