What's Your Country Like?

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Zukio

Re: What's Your Country Like?

Post by Zukio »

My family is planning on visiting the United Kingdom this summer, so I was wondering if someone from there had any tips on places we should visit. The only ones that I am sure about are London, and Stonehenge, but any other places are up for debate.
I like Pie!!!
Go ahead and send me a message, maybe we could talk about pie!
GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!!
Deathwatch

Post by Deathwatch »

Zukio wrote:My family is planning on visiting the United Kingdom this summer, so I was wondering if someone from there had any tips on places we should visit. The only ones that I am sure about are London, and Stonehenge, but any other places are up for debate.
Don't go to England, London is expensive and the rest of the country is boring and you can't drink the tap water. Come to Scotland, visit Edinburgh, see the beauty of the highlands, drink tap water, try the Exotic 'fried mars bar' come to Glasgow, the culture center of the UK, see Neds(non-educated delinquents) in there natural habitat, experience Sun, rain, snow and hail in the same day.

Here is a video series explaining our greatness.
ImageCCCP

Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Scotland sounds like Arkansas. Actually, a public school teacher of mine indicated he's met several people from Ireland and Scotland who told him the U.K. treats them like the U.S. treats Arkansans and Arkansawyers.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Duster

Post by Duster »

Dissension wrote:Scotland sounds like Arkansas. Actually, a public school teacher of mine indicated he's met several people from Ireland and Scotland who told him the U.K. treats them like the U.S. treats Arkansans and Arkansawyers.
Pfft that is nothing compared to the odd ridicule Texans seem to get. We're either lumped together as simple minded Cowboy redneck folk or stubbornly proud separatists! It just goes to show how much our Texas lawmakers and random assorted crazies affect the nations outlook upon us.
Extraordinary things happen to Extraordinary people!
also . . .
I'm the Best in the West!
Deathwatch

Post by Deathwatch »

Duster wrote:
Dissension wrote:Scotland sounds like Arkansas. Actually, a public school teacher of mine indicated he's met several people from Ireland and Scotland who told him the U.K. treats them like the U.S. treats Arkansans and Arkansawyers.
Pfft that is nothing compared to the odd ridicule Texans seem to get. We're either lumped together as simple minded Cowboy redneck folk or stubbornly proud separatists! It just goes to show how much our Texas lawmakers and random assorted crazies affect the nations outlook upon us.
We all get branded (by the English) as a bunch of alcoholic, skirt wearing, ginger, barbarian separatists and much more. The thing most of them forget is that our people invented most things out there.
ImageCCCP

Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

all I can think of when I think scotland is braveheart
Jason Mraz wrote: My goal is to show everyone that they, too, can do what they love to do.
Daggy wrote: Look a shadowpriest, what a cutie.... POW
Zukio

Post by Zukio »

Deathwatch wrote:Don't go to England, London is expensive and the rest of the country is boring and you can't drink the tap water. Come to Scotland, visit Edinburgh, see the beauty of the highlands, drink tap water, try the Exotic 'fried mars bar' come to Glasgow, the culture center of the UK, see Neds(non-educated delinquents) in there natural habitat, experience Sun, rain, snow and hail in the same day.

Here is a video series explaining our greatness.
It seems my family is going to those places no matter what, but Scottland is close enough that we may be able to swing on by and get a chance to see ye banks and braes o bonnie doon.
I like Pie!!!
Go ahead and send me a message, maybe we could talk about pie!
GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!!
Onlythebassist

Post by Onlythebassist »

If you're set on coming to the UK, bring warm clothes whatever the forecast is - unpredictable is the word I'd use to describe it :D

On the subject of places to visit, there's plenty in London (Buckingham Palace, London Eye, Tower of London). The Tube network is pretty fun to get around on, but I'd recommend biting the bullet and buying Oyster cards rather than tickets if you plan on using the transport system*. Bus tours are OK but tend to rush your intake a bit. The London Dungeon is awesome if you're into that kind of thing (live action horror maze, takes about an hour and a half to complete) and there's a few Banksy's dotted around for the street art enthusiast.

Dependent on where you plan on visiting, there's a lot of castles dotted around the UK. There's one in my own town, believe it or not! Make sure to sample some of the unique dishes as well, which definitely includes the battered Mars bar. Fish and chips is much nicer than it sounds ;)

* Buying tickets from stations to station can be really time consuming and also slows you down significantly. If I remember, the cards give you a small discount as well and are easy to top up using the machines.

Post by 0404 »

Help, I got Canadikitus. A really bad disease.
I'm starting lose my Americanness and I'm dull to cold now and I just sometimes say eh? Instead of what?. Now I'm getting used to not getting pennies for change. I kinda lost the plan of moving back to the State when I graduate, even though I took American history class and got 105% on recent unit test and I have a US flag hanging on my wall. Now I spell center -> ''centre'' And I eat smarties instead of M&M.

Regarding to my carrer, I'm starting to be like, you know what? I want to join US airforce, when I graduate, but I'm just little lazy to do that, I'll join CDN airforce, I'm already in Canadian Cadet (JROTC) anyway. Yeah when I was doing a fundraiser for the cadet, some lady came up to me and said 'you are credit to this country'. Yeah I should stay here.
I'm gonna lose my Koreanness soon enough.. I used to be fast at math, but...

Guys, help, any cure for this?
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Go as south as possible and eat some apple pie.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Remember the National Anthem.

Canadikitus isn't too bad. Just remember to stay indoors for October. November at the latest when the leaves start to fall. Since it's March, consider yourself lucky. Snow igloos I hear are very popular this time of year.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
FritzyBeat

Post by FritzyBeat »

GameCobra wrote:Remember the National Anthem.

Canadikitus isn't too bad. Just remember to stay indoors for October. November at the latest when the leaves start to fall. Since it's March, consider yourself lucky. Snow igloos I hear are very popular this time of year.
Not only that, but its also polar bear racing season! 8D
Ah... the great white north... :mrgreen:
Fino is coming, and he's bringing moon pizza.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

I was talking to 44R0N's mom about our recent weather, and I told her how North Carolinians like to describe our state's seasonal pattern:

"Here in North Carolina, we don't have Spring, Summer, Autumn, and Winter. We like to call it Getting Hot Outside, It's Really Hot Outside, It's Still Pretty Hot Outside, and Cold."

It's still not quite as hot as the states in the Deep South, but still.
Let me tell you about Homestuck.
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

It feels like I should be more grateful I actually have 4 seasons up here in cold sweden!
Jason Mraz wrote: My goal is to show everyone that they, too, can do what they love to do.
Daggy wrote: Look a shadowpriest, what a cutie.... POW
Duster

Post by Duster »

Beagle wrote:I was talking to 44R0N's mom about our recent weather, and I told her how North Carolinians like to describe our state's seasonal pattern:

"Here in North Carolina, we don't have Spring, Summer, Autumn, and Winter. We like to call it Getting Hot Outside, It's Really Hot Outside, It's Still Pretty Hot Outside, and Cold."

Not as hot as Texas that's for sure!
Extraordinary things happen to Extraordinary people!
also . . .
I'm the Best in the West!
Macsen

Post by Macsen »

Here in the Florida peninsula, we have hot, and what Miami considers cold, which is anything under 75 °F.

The heat doesn't get really bad until June, when the humidity kicks in. Then, it's a sauna until September at the very earliest.
Rico

Post by Rico »

Hey Kitch, that's something for me to bear in mind when I'm visiting Orlando in July! I've only ever been in October and November. The weather is a tad differnt to what I'm used to in the 'damp' UK. We're in a nice warm streak at the moment but I'm sure it's bound to rain again soon. There's nothing like a British summer BBQ in the rain with a brolly :)
Everything works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out yet, then it's not the end.

Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

Beagle wrote:I was talking to 44R0N's mom about our recent weather, and I told her how North Carolinians like to describe our state's seasonal pattern:

It's pretty close to that in Texas, however we have "Why is it so hot", "It's so hot I could die", "Suddenly it's cold", and WHY THE HECK IS THERE SNOW".
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

We have seasons in Arkansas, but the weather doesn't pay them much attention.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

Usually here in the mountains, its not as much a season as to what foul mood mother nature has found herself in.

Yesterday it was 59 degree Fahrenheit with misty rain and a think fog, in North Carolina, in summer. Prepare for the worst because that is what you will get.
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
Jimmy Jazz

Post by Jimmy Jazz »

Beagle wrote:"Here in North Carolina, we don't have Spring, Summer, Autumn, and Winter. We like to call it Getting Hot Outside, It's Really Hot Outside, It's Still Pretty Hot Outside, and Cold."
hah, I've never heard that one but it sounds really appropriate, actually.
North Carolina can get so humid too, at least where i live. I'm not a happy man when it's 100+ Fahrenheit and 90% humidity.

what what? Jolly good time.
Punchy

Post by Punchy »

Beagle wrote:"Here in North Carolina, we don't have Spring, Summer, Autumn, and Winter. We like to call it Getting Hot Outside, It's Really Hot Outside, It's Still Pretty Hot Outside, and Cold."
Where I'm from it's "almost Winter, Winter, still Winter, and Road Construction".
Panda Panda Panda
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

Here in Fla, Summer basically starts at the end of May and carries on till like October. Thankfully it's not too hot yet.
Kyuunado

Post by Kyuunado »

The UK will make you feel smart at least, all the people where I live are idiots. Ireland is fine, Scotland is good so long as you don't annoy the people you don't know and Wales is also good. Just not England, we have nothing here except London, the Film industry in Borehamwood and a number of well known ports. That's about all, few sandy beaches too.

Anyone been to Norway? Nice weather there?
The nine-tailed Kitsune of England.
I am Kyuunado Fureatsurī!
Want to talk? PM me or message at [email protected] and add me on Google+
Rico

Post by Rico »

Kyuubi Kitsune wrote:The UK will make you feel smart at least, all the people where I live are idiots.
Generalising, you're probably right about the UK, although I normally feel a bit like Penny out of the Big Bang Theory. When you have friends who consist of a MD, another with a PhD in Particle Physics, and one who works in the Ministry of Justice, you can't help but feel a bit dumb :cry:

Also, Cornish beaches aren't as good as people say they are. Especially if you've been anywhere in the Mediterranean.
Everything works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out yet, then it's not the end.

Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I was under the impression that raw intellect (unlike education) is more or less constant between countries. I'm curious if anyone has ever tried to study that.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!