Farming

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

ChewyChewy

Farming

Post by ChewyChewy »

Please direct me to the appropriate thread if one already exists, but does anyone here live on a farm? I live in the suburbs and don't know the first thing about it--and so have never tried the first thing toward it--but I'm starting to become very interested in farming crops, and especially beekeeping. Any information on the subject would be welcome!
PF chars

"We have to do this take again! HAL, do it with a LOT less emotion!"
"I'm sorry Stan, I'm afraid I can't do that."
--Phoenix

pair-o-dimes dot blogspot dot com
Duster

Re: Farming

Post by Duster »

Are you talking about farming as in "Agriculture" or recreational farming (also known as gardening)?
Extraordinary things happen to Extraordinary people!
also . . .
I'm the Best in the West!
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

My family used to have a lot of cotton and soybean fields, in northeast Arkansas. Not sure my "city-boy lifestyle" (hyuck) would be helpful, though. Sorry!

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Duster

Post by Duster »

My grandma taught me a thing or two about farm life, but very little about actually farming! We could talk about plants gardening or landscaping but farming is a lot more difficult than doing that stuff no doubt.
also . . .

Post by 0404 »

My grandparents own a farm, I used to help them grow beans and corns every summer. But I really don't know how to actually farm. I'm sure that you mean garden farm.
ChewyChewy

Post by ChewyChewy »

I'm talking about subsistence farming--not modern mass production type stuff.

But thank you all for your answers so far! :D
PF chars

"We have to do this take again! HAL, do it with a LOT less emotion!"
"I'm sorry Stan, I'm afraid I can't do that."
--Phoenix

pair-o-dimes dot blogspot dot com
Punchy

Post by Punchy »

Bees require a lot of sun, so a nice open area would be great.
As for growing stuff, decide on what you'd like to grow and then go from there.
Carrots and radishes are rather easy to grow, just keep birds away from the seeds. Also it doesn't really matter how late in the season you plant them.
Tomatoes you wan to start on right away almost, they like the sun, but it's easy to give them to much.

That's about all I know from personal experience.
Have fun and hope it goes well!
Panda Panda Panda
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

When I was growing up, we had some tomato plants, strawberries, herbs, and an apple tree in the back yard. My green-thumbed elementary school efforts allowed me to successfully grow a watermelon vine, but I only ever got one small, single-sized melon off it. (I was always better with flowers and, in fact, dreamed of being a florist, for a while.) We also had wild blackberries around the house.

Be sure not to let the fruit lie on the ground and rot, we lost a fair amount, that way. Also, birds and small animals (there are thousands of squirrels in my old [and new] neighborhood) will eat fruit as it ripens. Protect your stuff or you may never get to enjoy it. x3

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

The only thing that I can contribute is that you grow you squash. beans and corn in the same patch. The beans grow up the corn stalks and squash regulate the PH level of the soil. that way you can get three crops out of on patch year after year without depleting the soil.
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
Duster

Post by Duster »

My great-uncle still grows green beans on his 20-acre lot in east Texas. I remember going to my aunt's house and shelling the beans from the pod, which seemed to take forever to do since they had like 5 buckets full. Green beans are surprisingly prolific, which means they grow fast and provide ample seed for future crops.
also . . .
Chrispy

Post by Chrispy »

I've lived on a small farm for ten or so years, and my most recent job was working in agriculture, So I know a little here and there. is there anything in specific you would like to know?