Burning Desire Contest!

Now with new GALLERY

Moderators: Hagus, SeanWolf

JeffCvt

Burning Desire Contest!

Post by JeffCvt »

Hey everyone!

It has almost been a year since I started writing Burning Desire, and I have to say, I never expected to write more than the first part.
Thanks to Valerio and Renkun thinking I had planned to write more even though I didn't, I actually decided to keep writing. And thanks to every single one of you who started reading and commenting after them, I can say I've had a good time writing here.

So to try and give back to you, I'm going to pull a Valerio and let you all design a character to be put into my fic!

As you can guess, there are going to be a few rules.
1. Only one character is going to be added. Once I decide enough entries have been entered, I'm going to choose my favorite 2 or 3 and let you all vote on which one gets added.
2. Only one entry per person.
3. Be creative.

Other than that, go crazy. Please keep the entries fairly clean though, I don't a pet that kills for a living or something.
You can have as much or as little info as you like. But I will require at least a name, age, and appearance.
You can include a backstory if you like (I would like one too), and that backstory can intertwine with any of my characters in any way except for these:

Jiff: I don't want your character interfering with his backstory. I'm not trying to be mean, but I have a specific plan for him and I don't feel like changing it.

Cinder: He's dead. The Cinder Jiff knew and loved in Everchanging Hearts no longer exists, so you can't have your character meeting him for reasons I shouldn't have to explain. (Although if you have your character see Cinder before he was killed, I guess I could let that slide)

Ferno: The same reason as Jiff. Plus no one really knows what he's like yet anyway, so how could you effectively write about an encounter with him?

Other than those three, feel free to let your character have any backstory you choose. If you want to have your character be an old friend of Stealer's and Sandy's, go ahead. Or if you want a character that got to know Burin after he got separated from Jiff and Cinder in Everchanging Hearts, go ahead and do that. But the winning entry is going to be added to the Burning Desire cast, so make sure that they fit in there. I can't have a 4 year old cat who remembers events that happened 8 years ago.
If you want a character that has no previous connection with any of my characters at all, go ahead and do that. The sky is the limit people!

Entries may be submitted here or to the Email address [email protected]. I am doing this so if you don't have an account here at the forum, you can still enter if you don't feel like making one! All entries submitted by Email will be copy and pasted here by me so everyone else can see them.

Alright everyone, go and have fun! I hope to see a lot of interesting characters!
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Re: Burning Desire Contest!

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

JeffCvt wrote:I don't a pet that kills for a living or something.
Of course not, that was Val's contest.

alright, I'll give this a shot.

name: Ashley Parker(male)
species:dog(Basque Shepherd)
appearance:
He wears a purple collar with a gold circle tag with his initials on it in fancy lettering. His eyes are the same color as his collar.
He has a slim, fairly effeminate build.

personality: He's outgoing, always willing to befriend anyone who will have him. He's even friendly to his competition at the dog shows he participates in. He's always willing to lend a helping hand to those who need it, sometimes too willing. He kind of let's people walk all over him, except during competitions.

Other notes:
-show dog
-almost everyone thinks he's a girl when they first meet him due to his name, his girlish figure, his pretty purple eyes, and his androgynous voice. Also, he spends a lot of time at the Salon to prepare for the dog shows.
-he gets annoyed when he realizes his friends think he's a female. (also confused. He's naked all the time.)
-really got awkward when he told his female friend he loved her. also his male friend told him he loved him. That was an awkward love triangle.
Last edited by RandomGeekNamedBrent on Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
valerio

Post by valerio »

JeffCvt wrote:So to try and give back to you, I'm going to pull a Valerio and let you all design a character to be put into my fic!
You KNEW this was so going to bait me into participating!
Ok, here I go:

NAME: Quintus Fabius Augustus 'Toro' Salazàr
SPECIES: Pyrenean Mastiff, Male
APPEARANCE
Quintus is a one heck of a big mama doggie! 242lbs x 5.10ft made him the champ of the breed farm he was born in. His coat is white with large black spots. Said coat earned him the Spanish nickname of Toro (Bull). Not an ounce of fat goes wasted with him, Quintus is pure muscle, raised to fight against a whole pack of wolves if necessary. Since a collar would be invisible under his fur, Quintus wears a red bracelet with his IDs.

PARAPHERNALIA
Quintus carries with him a backpack with useful items such as a survival kit, cellphone, and books. Quintus is rarely seen without a book, he loves losing himself in then. Food is another thing he's rarely seen without: dried meat, in particular is his addition -that and anise, he indulges in a sip or two a week, but don't get him started at a party! When he gets drunk he'll try to sing opera songs with booming although quite off-key results

Hiking, Quintus really can't do without an outdoor trip at least once a month. His better surrogate is jogging and any outdoor sport. As a sheepdog, he loves to be in company, keep things under control, make sure everything goes as scheduled -so, yes, he tends to nose into other pets' business and, although in good will, sometimes he's just scolded for that. But although Quintus means well and would do no harm unless forced, getting him furious or demeaning him is NOT the wisest things to do! Last one who did it is still eating with a teaspoon. Puppies and kittens just melt him. He goes belly up, plays dead, fetches...really, it's embarrassing how they can play him around! His favorite game is 'playing bus' with a load of them clinging to his fur.

DISLIKES:
He's a naturally protective and caring dog, so he really, really hates bullies and injustices. His friends are what a pack mate is to a wolf, he acts more like a big brother with those he cares for. he can't stand ignorance, or at least the lack of interest in the world around, and that will bring him to discuss of nature, astronomy, philosphy...really, anything even with a random pet. he also hates wolves, but that's because of his instincts and training. His rational part knows he has no reason, but every time he smells or sees them he gets wary and hostile.

HISTORY:
Born in a breeding farm near Sos Del Rey Catolico, 60 Kms from the Pyrenees, Toro was raised and trained to be a sheepdog, a work in which he excelled...until the economic crisis hit really heard both his humans and their customers. Wolves ended the job by preying upon the flocks that the farmers had to left unattended.
Evemtually, the breeding farm had to close, the dogs given away. Toro was given to his Mom's sister, who live in Babylon Gardens and had just lost their pet cat... Okay, they weren't really expecting the coming of a hulking dog, but his future new Mom was adamant in helping out her sister (returning a favor for being helped to move to US) and because she really hadn't the heart of refusing such a 'cutie-jokey popsy!' (yes, that was her first reaction upon seeing Quintus as a pup and had always wanted to have him for herself).
And so, Toro came to live at Babylon. Luckily, he's not shy about making new friends.
Oh, his Mom's name is Roberta Salazàr, his Dad's name is William Todds.

Have fun!
valerio

Post by valerio »

Sorry for the double post!
Can I haz permission to use the characters that will be rejected?

EDIT - this question is formulated to the single contributors rather than repeating it every time (yes, I'm laaaaaaaaaaaazy)
Last edited by valerio on Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

!?
How many characters do you need? You have a contest that is about to introduce 20 new characters.
I guess you can though. How do you manage to keep track of them all?
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
valerio

Post by valerio »

heh, no, I was thinking more of future projets, nothing immediate.
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

I kind of figured they would be for the future, but still...
I would never be able to keep track of so many characters. I know you are only going to keep adding more and more.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

Val, you should probably get permission from the creators to use the rejected characters.
that being said, Ashley's all yours if he doesn't win.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

I will do this one, but I cannot do it until later in the week. I do have to get up before dawn to get to work every day you know... :roll:
My characters
Everybody has a story to tell. What's yours?
kavviyenta

Post by kavviyenta »

For goodness sake! I don't know why this isn't getting much thought! Let me give you my old OC.

Name: Thonka B. Alikat
Species: Cat, Serengeti

Appearance: Even for her breed, she is a few centimeters shorter than the average cat. Base color is a cinnamon brown color. She has a light brown fur on her belly reaching up to her neck and inside ears and on her right hand reaching up to half her forearm. Black spots adorn her body. She has long ears with a black tip and stripe on back. Tuft of furs on each cheek. Her “face flap” is brown with a blue nose. Her eyes are a light green color. Wear an oversized purple collar with what look like a mini cylindrical box for a tag. She wears a blue police jacket, gloves, and sun goggles when on duty.

Personality: Has a childish and flippant attitude. Bizarre and rebellious yet not unfriendly as she does have a few normal companion who get to know her despite her deformity. She knows how to take her duty seriously yet still add a few humors here and there.

Background: Struck by a car as a kitten (she was already named Thonka six months before the incident), Thonka was given intensive care and survived at the cost of her facial skin being removed. She still lived a happy life with her family at a few change and no pain, though she has trouble getting along with other pets. At the age of two, she saved a cat from getting hit by another car and was deemed a heroine. Hearing from the police that the driver was a criminal and the same person who drove the car she was struck by, Thonka became interested in criminal justice. At a request, she was given a face transplant which unfortunately was not completely successful and only sticks with a semi-removable facial skin flap. She worked in the FBI as a police detective and was usually given a few missions where she can get in some action. She was later transferred to the police department in Babylon Gardens.

Currently: Is the sole cat of the K9 corps. She's a crazy yet great detective with high sensory perception. Fido, Ralph, Kevin, and some dogs respect her though the rest of them resent her otherwise.

Notes: -She can’t blink so she has to manually close her eyelids. Every couple hours, she has to apply special eye drops she keeps in her collar
-Her collar which is twice the size of a normal one also holds some investigation tools along with a wallet and cell phone. The cylinder box require a specific method in unscrewing to unlock, hiding a significant article
-Absolutely hate “drug,” this being catnip and orange soda
-Her face flap can be pulled from the chin down up to her forehead. This earned her the nickname “Agent Thon Krenshar” by D&D nerds. She does not sport the loud screech.
-Often like to stroll around the neighborhood on her scooter

Yeah, she is somewhat based on a certain cartoon character just like Tiger and Jasper so I'm sure it's fine.
http://valito.deviantart.com/ my deviant gallery, nope there's no housepets in it

Unless you like Lilo & Stitch, kinda wish to see the experiments in housepets style
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

Hey everyone!

I just wanted to let you all know that I'm not dead or anything, just taking a break. My writing had started to become a chore for me instead of hobby, so that's why I haven't really been hear much lately. I don't know how long I'll be taking a break, but I'll make up for it with a totally exciting update to Everchanging Hearts when I come back. Maybe a kind of double update or something.

Also, I posted this notice here to kinda shamelessly bump this thread and remind people that the contest is still open to design a character. I would like to personally thank Brent, Valerio, and kavviyenta for their entries up to this point. I am hoping for about 5 or 6 entries that I will then narrow down to 2 or 3 for everyone to vote on.

Also remember, you can Email me the entry if you don't have an account here. [email protected]
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

This weekend I will have the time to come up with something. Leave it open until Monday at least?
My characters
Everybody has a story to tell. What's yours?
CrazyAce

Post by CrazyAce »

Name: Ace
Species and Breed: Timberwolf/Siberian Husky mix
Appearance:
•Has a black body with white feet and paws
•Has a black head—which is hidden because of his KISS Ace Frehley "Spaceman" makeup (hence his name)—and has neon blue eyes, which he hides with alternating between red tinted contacts, white contacts, and black contacts (some days he wears one color in each eye)
•Doesn't like to be enemies with anyone
•He sometimes carries a Stratocaster guitar that he plays when he goes to the park
•Ace is a HUGE heavy metal fanatic that he expresses by going to concerts, collecting posters and vinyl records
•Can at times be very shy and anti-social on rare occasions, like if he went through a breakup, or lost a loved one
•He can play the banjo, piano, trumpet, electric bass, drums, but is mainly seen playing the guitar
•Likes to read old and new issues of Popular Science
•Loves math and science
•Has a photographic memory
•Is very kind and gentle toward others and is very sensitive
•Can be at times a major philosopher
•Wears a neon green collar with a tag that is shaped like a Flying V guitar, but on rare occasions (like at weddings, or funerals) he wears a black collar with his name on it in small white text
•Hates being wet
•Usually keeps his stereo system out in the garage when he's outside
•His whole room is FILLED with records and guitarist hanging on his wall, as well as posters
•Is very witty
•Laughs a lot
•Favorite bands: KISS, Twisted Sister, Pink Floyd, Blue Öyster Cult, Ace Frehley, Frehley's Comet, Mötley Crüe, Ozzy Osbourne, Misfits, Queen, Marilyn Manson, Cheap Trick, Sweet, P.O.D.
•Likes drawing
•Sometimes likes to sing, depending on his mood
Last edited by CrazyAce on Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image "LOOK, IT'S ROCK AND ROLL!"
Karl

Post by Karl »

It's something I don't usually do. But since you supported me back then, I believe I should return the favor.

Name: Meg
Species: Dog, mutt

Meg is a mutt, her fur almost entirely gray except for her legs which are white from toes to knees and a white mark between her eyes. Her ears are pointy and her irises are blue. She's not too tall, but she can't be defined as a small dog. What catches the attention most is her tail, which looks really shabby. Though it's long, it's very slender and fur on it is wispy. She also has a scar above her left eyebrow.

She does not remember too much about her past. She was abandoned by her stray mother when she was still a young pup and then all she remembered was the nagging feeling of cold, hardship of the survival on streets and hunger if she wasn't lucky in getting any food. She often had to fight with other dogs, which were mostly males and ganged on her in groups, and because of that, she avoided any contact with other dogs and preferred to live alone. There were also times when she had to deal with aggressive cats.

Everything changed one day as dog catchers appeared in the alley she lived on. Of course she tried to run, but unfortunately her leg was still damaged after last fight with dogs and she got caught.

Next days were extremely stressful for her. Not only she found herself in totally different environment, but getting bathed in a water was a totally frightening experience and vet checkups were agonizing to her, despite of vet's good intentions. As she received a proper care, she received her own box, which had this magical thing called TV. it was then when she learned what an animal shelter is.

But it's weren't easy days for her, despite she had food every day and her box was much warm and comfortable than streets, she was very unfriendly towards other animals locked with her, and her shabby tail was not helping in making things easier (this earned her a nickname Rat Dog). She made few attempts to escape, but it always end up with being caught.

She spend there like six months. one day, during her walk around the yard, she bumped into a dog and fell on the floor. The dog apologized and tried to help her stand up, but she slapped his hand, shouted at him and tried to fight him, much to the dog's dismay as he didn't want to hurt her, but eventually he had to pin her down.

Some time later, when he was lying in her bed at night, she heard other dogs from other boxes gossiping about some mutt called Burin, who was caught by animal control, but not without giving a fight. Listening to their description, she realized that the dog who knocked who pinned her down was in fact Burin.

Since then, Meg was bumping into Burin from time to time, much to her dismay as she treated him like he was a rival. That however, changed one day when Meg got into a big mess and Burin stepped in...
I'm a bookworm!
SilentPrincess828

Post by SilentPrincess828 »

Lol, I was going to enter this, but there are some pretty awesome submissions already, and I'm not sure if I have the time to develop a completely new character as I had mentioned. So, if I don't enter, good luck to everyone who does!
Last edited by SilentPrincess828 on Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
You laugh at me because I'm different. I laugh at you because you're all the same.
http://silentprincess828.deviantart.com
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

You got a while. I'm not cutting entries off until I update Everchanging Hearts. And that probably won't be for a while.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
TheOne
Location: Trapped in the center of the Galaxy. Need a starship to get out!

Post by TheOne »

Since I've enjoyed the Burning Desire fic so much, I'll chip in a character idea.

Name: Chester Simonsen (Prefers "Chez" like fez, but Chez)
Species: Cat
Breed: Calico/Orange Tabby mix

Appearance:(Didn't see a good grown-up cat photo I liked, but Chez is an adult male)

Chester was the runt of his litter, but Julie, the daughter of his owner, made sure to take special care of him early on. (Think "Charlotte's Web") As he grew, he had a real fascination for mechanical things. He always seemed to be getting into trouble taking apart the kitchen appliances and getting caught in the middle of it. But the crazy thing was that Carl, his "Dad", was a farmer who knew how to put things back together, and he taught Chez how to fix the things he took apart. Chez also had the special opportunity of working on the farm tractor, and that's where he really started liking the idea of working on things. As soon as he could, Chez took a job at a local repair shop as a grease monkey. Hey, when you're the size of a cat it's not too difficult to work underneath a car, and it doesn't take much effort to change an oil filter.

Instead of a collar, Chez usually wears a tool belt where he keeps his handy-dandy grease gun, crescent wrench, ball-peen hammer, knife, various screwdrivers and duct tape. He can often be seen at the neighborhood auto shop, or on his vintage Honda Express
which he keeps tuned up as best as he can. When not working or traveling to and from work, he can often be seen cruising around on the streets, or propped up against the back tire of his Express, reading the latest Popular Mechanic's magazine or a classic book like Huck Finn.

Due to his job description, his fur is often somewhat matted with grease and oil, although he washes his paws frequently. Also, because Julie had to go to school every morning, he is used to waking up early in the morning. As a matter of fact, sometimes other cats tease him because he enjoys the mornings so much. But even when they do tease him, he just smiles and remembers how it was in the mornings that he received kindness and love from Julie.

If this goes against the rules you can ignore the next part:
Chez was actually owned by the farmer that took in Cinder and Jiff, but only briefly met Jiff as he walked by on his way to his Express. Chez asked Jiff if he was thinking about staying more than a couple of days, and Jiff mentioned he hadn't really planned on it. As Chez strapped on his riding helmet he explained to Jiff how he was raised and commented that the farmer and Julie probably wouldn't mind them staying for a while. After that Chez started the Express and went on his way. (Again, I hope this doesn't break your "no interference" rule. I wanted them to interact a little without it being too far away from Jiff's style and I hope it's ok.)

I give permission for anyone besides JeffCVT to use this character, with the following stipulation: if you use this character I want to know about it. I don't browse here much, and if someone uses this character and doesn't tell me, I'll probably never know. If you use this character, just send me a PM with a link to the thread.

EDIT: Oops. From re-reading this, it sounded like I wasn't including JeffCVT in usage of this character. I meant to say anyone, including JeffCVT can use this character. Sorry for any confusion.
Dag nabbed petty annoyances...
SilentPrincess828

Post by SilentPrincess828 »

Yay~ Finally entering this thing....

Name: Kaida
Species: Cat
Breed: Erm... yeah.

A poorly drawn picture for her appearance which looks even worse because the whole thing was done on the computer which I started to hate after a while...

And an actual photo since the drawing was terrible...

Personality: Kaida is a tenacious and candid cat who’s competitive nature has earned her quite the reputation. For some this cocky attitude can come off as show-offish and obnoxious, but with Kaida’s natural talent for just about everything she often stands justified in her better-than-you attitude. Deep down however, not to sound cliche (even though it’s totally going to sound cliche) lies a heart of gold.

Backstory: Kaida is a stray who swears to living in Babylon Gardens her entire life, though no one has ever seen her before. Because of this the pets know very little about the cat, and usually don’t bother to find out after spending a few seconds with her and her straightforward comments. She can be found spending rainy days at the park when no one is around, mourning some events past and reflecting on an owner with an unknown fate whom she misses greatly.

Lazy and poorly written bio is lazy and poorly written. But, finally, it is submitted.
Also, Kaida means ‘small dragon’ or something... FYI... and stuff....

*passes out from sheer exhaustion of being lazy...and all that logic*
You laugh at me because I'm different. I laugh at you because you're all the same.
http://silentprincess828.deviantart.com
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

I'm not sure if this has already ended but ill put in a character.
Name: Luke
Species: dog
Breed: lucarian auratin (pronounced luc-ar-ee-in or-uh-tin) yes that's made up.
Appearance:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e ... io_art.png
But replace the spikes with silver dots.
Personality: Luke is kind and fun loving, no matter how dangerous. He has landed In the hospital several times but for some reason no matter how bad a injury is he only stays for more than a couple hours. He's a bit of a geek, liking a lot of toy franchises, such a transformers, power rangers and lego. The worth of his entire collection is more than most people spend in a year. Tends to stumble over his words. Seems to know everyone's secrets, though he respects their privacy and only talks about it with them.
Background: Luke doesn't have any owners, yet always seems to make enough to live a normal life. That is, if living in a RV next to the park and collecting toys counts as normal. No one ever sees him working at any job. In fact he spends most of his time online. His money making secret? He is a pro at the stock market. Give him 5$ he can make 500$.
Bonus notes:
His RV has 2 floors, the bottom floor he uses for a living room and kitchen, the top floors stores his bedroom and toy collection.

Is a advanced practicer of aura. This means he has somewhat-enhanced strength, speed, senses, healing, and has limited telepathy and precognition.

Something's might be placed in the wrong folders.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?