Petsona: A furry compendium of your inner self

What do you call a fic that's not a fic

Moderators: Hagus, SeanWolf

justacritic

Petsona: A furry compendium of your inner self

Post by justacritic »

So there are two awesome things, Housepets and the Persona series. Now I know that there's already a Persona/Housepets fanfic out there on the internet yet it uses for its basis the most depressing of the installments. I don't think that matches the tone of Housepets at all. Now here's a little fic that uses the most cheerful installment in that series for its inspiration. Housepets belongs to Rick, Persona systems belong to Altus
Welcome to and enjoy Petsona

Life is a dream, or so we think, but the truth is stranger than the lies we surround ourselves. Yet for these pets the barrier between their lies and life shall blur and truths shall fall back into dreams. Now behold the journey of self discovery and what lies within the inner self…

“Ugh my head, what just happened?” A Welsh Corgi named King, once named Joel said. He originally was a human but because of a series of bad life choices and interference with a jerk griffon, he was now a dog. Still it was particularly telling that he wasn’t too fazed by this unknown situation he was in. King stood up and noticed that he couldn’t see too far. The reason was the thick fog that surrounded the area. King tested the surface of the floor with his hind paw. It felt smooth; whatever the ground was made of King didn’t recognize what was the material.

King decided to scout out the location. If this was another one of those Cosmic Nerds’ games, he was going to be extremely annoyed. The chess piece Corgi walked and walked and walked. Yet with the fog he couldn’t see if he was making any progress. Eventually his small stubby legs were tired to the bone. King couldn’t walk anymore. “Come on isn’t there anybody there?” King shouted as he knelt over on the ground slamming his clenched paw on the floor.

“Hello, who’s there?” somebody responded to King. The corgi pricked his ears up and ran towards the sound. “Yeah I’m here, who are you? Where are you?” King shouted out to the mystery person. “Over here!” The fellow wanderer in the fog replied. King ran towards the sound and stopped when he saw who was lost in the fog with him.

It was another corgi and it was a corgi that King knew. “Lime?”

“King? Is that you?” The other corgi lived in the neighboring community to Babylon Gardens.

“Yes, do you have any idea where we are?” King asked.

“No, I have not been able to get a clear view of the place because of this fog.” Lime waved his paw at the atmospheric phenomenon that surrounded them.  

“Do you remember how you got here?” King made a gesture of indifference, he wasn’t sure if he’d get an answer that would help but it didn’t hurt to ask.

Lime looked thoughtful and said “The last thing that I remember was that I was watching a late night movie with Biscuit, Cookie, and Monty…”

King blinked and the memory struck him of channel surfing just before he woke up here. “Yeah I was watching T.V before finding myself here as well.” Lime scratched his snout and looked rather nervous before asking what they were going to do now. “I don’t know but we should try to find out where we are.” Lime nodded his agreement and the two began to walk with King taking the lead. The fog that surrounded them was extremely thick enough that either dog could only see a few inches so Lime was uncomfortably close so he wouldn’t lose sight of King.

They continued like this until Lime’s ears flicked as he caught a sound. “King do you hear that?” King looked back at the other corgi and listened then he heard it as well, the sound of cars and a bustling city. The rank smell of alleyways and dank water filtered through the air. The fog began to let up and before the corgi pair was a busy city at night with the flimsy orange street lights all aglow. “How did we get to a city?” Lime said and looked around with growing dread at what he saw. The streets were abandoned, which wasn’t extremely possible as there were always at least the night life but there were still cars passing by and Lime noticed that there was no one driving the cars. “King, I don’t think we’re in…” Then the corgi noticed that King was shivering in the alleyway, clutching his paws over his ears and head with eyes screwed shut tighter than a ketchup bottle. Lime went down and began to shake King “King are you alright? Come on, something’s weird there’s nobody in the streets and cars are driving themselves!”

King looked back at Lime and he seemed to be panicking and trying to hold back tears. “Wha…What?” King said and stood up slowly to look for himself. This place brought back ill memories but when he saw for himself that the area wasn’t the traumatic place in his past then King could worry about something else. Like the odd fact of empty city streets and cars with no visible drivers. “What in the world is going on here?” King said.

Then things began shifting, pools of shadow began to approach the pair. Whatever those things were, King had a bad feeling about them. He grabbed Lime’s paw and began to run. Those shadows gave chase to the corgis and those shadows moved with surprising speed. King and Lime ducked into another alleyway, King looked around wildly for something to use to defend them both. He spotted to his delight a shovel and grabbed it and told Lime to get behind him. King was before he turned into a dog, a human but not a very good one at making decisions. Whatever situation they were in, King still had that sense of responsibility for animals; it was because of that constant reminder of those dark days.

It was then that those shadows found both of them and those pools of darkness slid upwards into the air and turned into giant spheres with grotesque mouths and huge tongues. King stood aback for a second and began wailing away at those monsters. “Get away!” He managed to get in a few good hits on those giant mouths. Yet there were too many of them and the corgi was so small. He then got bashed around by the shadow spheres and eventually got knocked down onto the ground.

“King!” Lime shouted and ran to block King from being further attacked by the shadows. He had grabbed the first thing he saw and started to swing it at the monsters. However it was a lanyard that had a bunch of keys on a keychain and at first glance didn’t seem to be an effective weapon. Yet for some reason when the bunch of keys hit the creatures, it did seem to have an effect. However Lime was still one dog against a number of monsters and was soon beaten down in to the ground. Lime Sweet was afraid because he didn’t know what exactly was happening and the monster mouths kept coming closer and closer to him and King.

Then Lime’s head started hurting and inside his mind he heard a toneless voice I am thou, thou art I, we shall walk this path together and seek the truth…King watched Lime stand up with a strange and blank look on his face. “Lime?” King said, not understanding what was happening to the other corgi. Lime was then surrounded by a heatless erupting blue flame aura and the corgi held out his paw in front of him, palm up. Downward from nowhere appeared a card, spinning on its corner and bearing on the back a picture of a mask split half with white and dark blue. On the front was a picture of a person skipping and slinging a bag on a stick over the shoulder with a dog nipping at the heels. Lime said just one word slowly, as if tasting each syllable. “Petsona” and Lime crushed the card in his paw with it surprisingly shattering like movie glass. The very air shook with force and appearing above over Lime’s head was a hooded figure, wearing a tattered robe that seemed not to be colored but so stained with gray that it appeared to be related to black. A pair of baleful red glows was hidden under the hood of this figure that had appeared and out of the sleeves were what appeared to be charred appendages that could have been either hands or claws. It was a fearsome thing and then the shadows flew to assault it. “Tartarus, Mudo” Lime spoke softly. The being that Lime had summoned quickly raised its claws and thrust its outstretched palm outward towards a monster. Some force came out of the palm and a dark circular diagram with burning purple flames arranged hexagonally with some oriental symbol in the middle of it appeared, revolving in front of a creature. Then that giant mouthed beast exploded into its component shadows as a dark curse wiped it from existence. More mouths came out to fight and Tartarus bashed each one, collapsing the flesh of these monsters in causing them all to erupt into nothingness. Then all the monsters were gone and Lime slumped to his knees and let out words of amazement “What just happened?”              
CrazyAce

Re: Petsona: A furry compendium of your inner self

Post by CrazyAce »

Really nice story line! I absolutely loved it! I would definitely like to see this as a story/series!
Image "LOOK, IT'S ROCK AND ROLL!"
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Looks rather interesting. I have no idea what the Persona series is, but it seems like a nice crossover.
My characters
Everybody has a story to tell. What's yours?
justacritic

Post by justacritic »

CrazyAce wrote:Really nice story line! I absolutely loved it! I would definitely like to see this as a story/series!
Ask and you shall receive. Persona series belongs to Atlus and Housepets to Rick. Lime belongs to me though. Now King and Lime continue their wanderings but a sudden appearance results in things taking a turn for the worse. Can both corgis get out of this alive? Find out in Spread Two of Petsona!

Spread 2
“Lime! Are you okay?” King ran over to the corgi that had driven off those monsters that had attacked the both of them. Lime shook his head a bit at the sound of King’s voice and looked groggily up at King.

“Huh? Yeah, I’m fine King, just what were those? And what have I been doing?” Lime said.

“You fought off those monsters! And you called up some other monster to do your fighting for you! How did you do that?” King said and Lime had to admit that he didn’t know. “Well we better keep moving” King walked on while Lime got up and followed asking why. “You want to stay here with the chance of more of those things appearing?” Lime agreed that he didn’t and the two continued to wander the dim streets.

However Lime noticed that King seemed to be on edge as they continued on walking. The corgi with the chess piece tag had his gaze linger around the streets and fixtures and occasionally shook his head. Now Lime thought this was rather strange but didn’t comment as they both were focused on getting out of this place, wherever it was and maybe finding a way home.

It took the pair getting lost within an alleyway system that Lime finally had to ask. “King, um you’ve been rather uneasy ever since you have seen this place. Are you fine?”
King stopped and said “Nothing, nothing at all.”
“Are you sure” Lime said.
King opened his mouth and “Just shut up why don’t you why do you care?” except this voice was King’s voice but different. For one thing King’s voice normally didn’t have this weird echoing quality to it. That the words weren’t coming from King’s mouth.

The corgis turned and tried to trace the speaker and out of the fog came something hideous. It seemed to be a twisted anagram of human and corgi, dark brown hair topped the chimera mixed head; it walked with a twisted gait from the cobbled together dog human legs of its lower body. The monster’s face bore an angry expression and baleful empty black was where its eyes were supposed to be.
At the sight of this however King was sent into a cold chill “It couldn’t be… that’s…” King recognized parts of this thing’s face and body; after all it was the self he looked at in a mirror everyday when he was a human named “Joel.”
“It’s because I think King is my friend.” Lime said.
“Heh, yeah right like you could ever be my friend” the thing said “a stupid puppy going around not knowing anything and being a bother to everyone else. Hah a friend you say, how lame.”
“Hey! Don’t say that about Lime!” King shouted at this thing that had part of his face, now that he looked closely the dog halves were disturbingly like his own corgi body.
“Aw, don’t be like that after all, he just an animal like that Fox you know.” King got even angrier and the thing went on “In fact we know they’re all animals, and just that, animals there’s no point in caring about them.” At that the creature’s voice took a harsher tone. “They go about saying that they love you and will be your friend forever. It’s all a bunch of bull; they’ll turn on you and treating you like the junk you are. And what do you get after trying so hard for them? Nothing but suffering that’s what. Human or dog it’s all the same, they just turn on you, no point in trusting them. There’s no reason in caring for animals after all they’re all the same, just like them.” There was a certain inflection in the last word and the fact that King paled gave the impression that a certain number of people were being specifically mentioned. “In the end they just dump you like a piece of trash; you should know that better than anyone else.”

“Shut up, shut up, shut up! You don’t know anything. Who are you? What are you?” King barked at the thing.
“Why so surprised I’m you stupid.” The Joel dog mix said.
“No, no that can’t be, there’s no way in dog that you could ever be me!” King said.
The Joel corgi thing laughed “Oh but I am you after all who else would have a useless butt face like this?”
“YOU ARE NOT ME! YOU COULD NEVER BE ME YOU SON OF A CHARMING YOUNG WOMAN!” King screamed out his rage.

And with that the Joel clone burst into maniacal laughter “Yeah that’s right I could never be such a pathetic person.” Some of the fog swirled around the human dog mess concealing the figure. “I’m me now and there’s nothing you can do about IT!” The fog burst to reveal a giant construct of armor with a twisted mockery of Joel’s face on the helm. “I AM A SHADOW THE TRUE SELF. THE WORLD IS A SPITEFUL AND HATEFUL PLACE WITH NO ONE TO TRUST. I DON’T NEED ANYONE, SO LEAVE ME ALONE! ESPECIALLY YOU!” The thing called a shadow pointed at King. King felt extremely weak and felt to his equivalent of doggy knees. He couldn’t hold up or move his body and in the armor’s hand was a giant lance that was brought up and thrust hurtling down straight towards King’s chest.

The sharp pointed tip went speeding to pierce through the corgi’s heart except that there was another corgi on the case. Lime went tackling King out of the way and the monster’s lance smashed into the ground sending fragments of concrete flying into the air.

While Lime and King were falling down onto the ground, if one would see these events taking place. Lime turned towards the giant human dog armor claiming to be King and the floating card covered in blue white flames came down to his paw. Crushing it, Lime called out “Tartarus!” and shattered the card causing the strange cloaked giant to appear again.

This being named Tartarus soared over to the armor and punched it sending it collapsing to the floor at the same time the two corgis hit the ground. “Tartarus Mudo!” Lime cried out. The dark figure again outstretched his hand and called forth an ominous pattern that appeared before the armor. Yet when the pulse of darkness blasted the target it did nothing. “Urgh, no effect” The armor thrust its lance at Tartarus and managed to stab it in its shoulder. Where the lance pierced static appeared and a phantom pain burst in Lime’s shoulder where the lance had hit Tartarus. Lime had to steady himself on the ground clutching the lanyard he had picked up.
Things however were getting out of hand. After that first stab the armor picked up momentum and continued stabbing. Tartarus attempted to dodge the attacks but it was slipping and more static and pain appeared. Lime struggled to think and tried to see if there was a way out of this. Then again it came to him and quickly “Tarukaja!”

An energy field of red encased and entered the dark figure’s body and the cloak it wore rippled in an unseen wind. It delivered yet another punch but this time the armor crumpled at the point of impact and collapsed into a pile of inky darkness. The fog erupted from the remains and left on the ground was the Joel and corgi mixture.
King regained his strength and stood up weakly approaching the thing with his face in both his dog and human forms. “No, you’re not me…” King said.
“King… why did it say dog or human?” Lime asked
King turned around and sadly admitted “Guess it had to come out sometime” The corgi sighed, given what had happened keeping his secret was rather meaningless. Either way Lime would ask questions or King could tell the truth himself. In this situation maybe there was a bit of worth in the saying that the truth would set one free. “Lime, I’m not actually a dog. I used to be a human named Joel. I did something horrible to Fox. I kidnapped him and almost gotten him killed.” That fact had haunted King ever since the human turned corgi met the husky again. “I thought I was doing something to help animals but saying that… maybe that was just an excuse. I don’t trust you animals… Not at all ever since that time when I was a kid being abandoned and beaten by the pets that I ran away with. I couldn’t trust anyone, why should I? I trusted my friends who were just as abused as I was but after a while they turned on me.” King hugged himself. “I just didn’t want others to be hurt like that as I was. I didn’t want to be friends with the other dogs when I was changed like this. I didn’t want to be hurt again. I didn’t want to have to go though being betrayed again.”

“King…” Lime said and didn’t know what else to say. Then Lime saw that the shadow being was standing up and staring at King. King noticed and turned around and shifted in a more defensive posture all the while reaffirming that it was not him. “King I think that it is you.” King turned back to say that idea was ridiculous but Lime went on “Or it’s you that’s being afraid to trust others. It’s like all your fear of being hurt by other people, human or animal.” Lime said “Everyone is afraid of being hurt by the ones they care about. But still isn’t caring for others, being friends, sharing time together, the memories made. Isn’t that worth it? Even if you or I are hurt I feel like that is still worth being friends.” Lime pleaded.

King heard the words and thought about them. It was true meeting up with Fox and spending time together was among the happiest days of his life. Then Bailey came in and made the world a better place. And when Lime stumbled in things kept looking up. Maybe it’ll end up in tears one day but here and now he could admit he was happy. King turned back and looked back to the shadow thing. “Yeah it’s true, I don’t want to care or trust anymore. I’m afraid of being hurt by others. I keep thinking this to protect myself from hurting again. But it’s not all bad, being with Fox, talking with Lime, loving Bailey. Maybe I’m setting myself to be betrayed again but if it means giving up what happiness I got from them, then I can take that.”
“Are you sure you can take it?” The Joel Corgi asked.
“Yes I won’t be as afraid anymore, because even if I lose them at least I had them with me. That’s what matters because you’re me and I’m you!” King said.

The thing nodded and disappeared into fragments of light one group giving way to a knight in gleaming black armor wielding a lance sword looking down to King. It vanished giving way to a card that dropped down into King’s paws. The other group of light vanished into King’s body and somehow King felt stronger and that everything would be alright. “This is a Petsona?” King asked and fell back down.

“King!” Lime said as he bent down to help his friend.
“Hey Lime, actually I feel good, better than I have in weeks.” King said.
“Well I hope that it’ll help you find a way out of this place.” Lime said.
“Oh right we still need to find a way to get home.” King said, the two were still stuck in this weird place. King slowly got back up with Lime’s help and then he flicked his ears. “Do you hear that?” Lime swiveled his ears and nodded. Another voice spoke and it said “COME WITH ME IF YOU WANT TO LIVE!”
Last edited by justacritic on Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:10 am, edited 3 times in total.
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Oh, Dragon! Nice.

Um, you are really mixing up names here....
Shut up, shut up, shut up! You don’t know anything. Who are you? What are you?” King barked at the thing.
“No, no that can’t be, there’s no way in dog that you could ever be me!” Lime said.
The Joel corgi thing laughed “Oh but I am you after all who else would have a useless butt face like this?”
“YOU ARE NOT ME! YOU COULD NEVER BE ME YOU SON OF A CHARMING YOUNG WOMAN!” Lime screamed out his rage.
“Yes I won’t be as afraid anymore, because even if I lose them at least I had them with me. That’s what matters because you’re me and I’m you!” Lime said.

The thing nodded and disappeared into fragments of light one group giving way to a knight in gleaming black armor wielding a lance sword looking down to King. It vanished giving way to a card that dropped down into King’s paws. The other group of light vanished into Lime’s body and somehow King felt stronger and that everything would be alright. “This is a Petsona?” King asked and fell back down.

Seems most of those Limes should be King...
My characters
justacritic

Post by justacritic »

copper wrote:Oh, Dragon! Nice.

Um, you are really mixing up names here....
Shut up, shut up, shut up! You don’t know anything. Who are you? What are you?” King barked at the thing.
“No, no that can’t be, there’s no way in dog that you could ever be me!” Lime said.
“YOU ARE NOT ME! YOU COULD NEVER BE ME YOU SON OF A CHARMING YOUNG WOMAN!” Lime screamed out his rage.
“Yes I won’t be as afraid anymore, because even if I lose them at least I had them with me. That’s what matters because you’re me and I’m you!” Lime said.

The thing nodded and disappeared into fragments of light one group giving way to a knight in gleaming black armor wielding a lance sword looking down to King. It vanished giving way to a card that dropped down into King’s paws. The other group of light vanished into Lime’s body and somehow King felt stronger and that everything would be alright. “This is a Petsona?” King asked and fell back down.

Seems most of those Limes should be King...
Ow, it doesn't help to have corgis on the brain, thanks I'll go changing it. Then again with only two corgis as the characters so far, it's easy to mix them up.
What do you think so far? I had a hard time expressing what possible problem King possesses. It seemed to me to one giant convoluted trust/guilt/self-loathing issue.
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

I don't know that King has a problem at all to be honest. He's pretty well adjusted.
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

I have no idea really. I know nothing of the Persona series...
My characters