My Little Pony

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Re: My Little Pony

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

KalloonWhite wrote:I severely doubt Alicorn Twilight is ever going to happen, for reasons that are founded but since I don't have the sources, you guys would have to take my word, so I'm not even going to say why.
I think at this point we've all accepted it as probably going to happen. There are officially licensed things that show Twilight with wings (then again, there's also officially licensed things that call Scootaloo "Terry") but there's also the episode title that basically says Twilight's becoming a princess, which likely means Aalicorn because all the princesses so far are alicorns (then again, Shining Armor and Blueblood are both princes, so again there's room for doubt)
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
KalloonWhite

Post by KalloonWhite »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:
KalloonWhite wrote:I severely doubt Alicorn Twilight is ever going to happen, for reasons that are founded but since I don't have the sources, you guys would have to take my word, so I'm not even going to say why.
I think at this point we've all accepted it as probably going to happen. There are officially licensed things that show Twilight with wings (then again, there's also officially licensed things that call Scootaloo "Terry") but there's also the episode title that basically says Twilight's becoming a princess, which likely means Aalicorn because all the princesses so far are alicorns (then again, Shining Armor and Blueblood are both princes, so again there's room for doubt)
-coughcoughWhataboutCadencecough-
marmalade & sugar song, peanuts & bitter step, It's sweet and bitter and leaves me feeling faint
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

OKay, I may be wrong on this one, but Faust initially wanted Celestia to be a queen and not a princess, but Hasbro demanded Celestia to ba a princess. Also, if I'm not also mistaken, it was a Hasbro mandate to have another alicorn princess (aka Candence).
I wouldn't be surprised if this was another hasbro mandate thing to sell new Twilight toys.
Shameless advertisement of my fanfics: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/880961/Angelus-alvus
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

KalloonWhite wrote:-coughcoughWhataboutCadencecough-
what about her? she's an alicorn too, Kal. she doesn't nullify my point in any way.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

IceKitsune wrote:You are confusing Status quo (things being the same at the end of an episode as they were at the start;which by definition Twilight becoming an Alicorn can not be as she isn't one now) with a cliche (something over done and boring; which you can easily argue it would be)
I was referring to the "status quo" of storytelling in general. In which context, cliche and status quo are on opposite ends of the spectrum, with "original" or "well-executed" ideas being the desired, central point.
IceKitsune wrote:This could add to the show by having more epic adventures in season 4 happen because of it.
How so? The main six have already battled everything from timber wolves to an ancient god of chaos. What extra leverage could Twilight being an alicorn possibly give them in having "more epic" adventures?

Edit: Also, according to M.A. Larson's twitter, "Princess Coronation" isn't necessarily the actual title of the season finale. It may have just changed since the last time he saw it, but as far as he's aware, that's not the title.
"When you're falling in a forest and there's nobody around,
do you ever really crash or even make a sound?"
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

KJOokami wrote:
IceKitsune wrote:You are confusing Status quo (things being the same at the end of an episode as they were at the start;which by definition Twilight becoming an Alicorn can not be as she isn't one now) with a cliche (something over done and boring; which you can easily argue it would be)
I was referring to the "status quo" of storytelling in general. In which context, cliche and status quo are on opposite ends of the spectrum, with "original" or "well-executed" ideas being the desired, central point.
IceKitsune wrote:This could add to the show by having more epic adventures in season 4 happen because of it.
How so? The main six have already battled everything from timber wolves to an ancient god of chaos. What extra leverage could Twilight being an alicorn possibly give them in having "more epic" adventures?

Edit: Also, according to M.A. Larson's twitter, "Princess Coronation" isn't necessarily the actual title of the season finale. It may have just changed since the last time he saw it, but as far as he's aware, that's not the title.
I was actually talking about more traveling style adventures like they would have to go from place to place as ambassadors or something since Twilight would now be a Princess.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

KJOokami wrote:Edit: Also, according to M.A. Larson's twitter, "Princess Coronation" isn't necessarily the actual title of the season finale. It may have just changed since the last time he saw it, but as far as he's aware, that's not the title.
No. But it is the name of the big finale event on the hub, the same as the event for "A Canterlot Wedding" was called the "My Little Pony Royal Wedding"
So while it's not the episode title, it does kind of give away something of what it's about.

spoilers for the finale
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
mariomarc

Post by mariomarc »

i swear
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Season 3 Finale Title and Synopses Reveled! Magical Mystery Cure "When Twilight casts a spell that switches the Cutie Marks and destinies, the only way to reverse the spell is by writing her own magic." I'm going to make a bold claim here that any Alicorn Twilight is going to be temporary, likely by way of getting Celestia's or Luna's Cutie Mark from the Spell. How any of this has to do with a Princess Coronation is anyone guess at this point. I think everyone can calm the heck down now and relax.
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

That sounds like it will be an interesting episode. Not cliche or anything.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

mariomarc wrote:Image
i swear
I would love it if they pulled a Cliffhanger ending on us for the Finale, it would be very unexpected. However I know that isn't going to happen because its a little kids show and that would be a bit to much.
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

The new episode was nice. Discord was awsome. Well, except for the ending which was downright forced, in my opinion. But I have to say that Discord's line 'Friendship is magic' made me chuchkle a little.
Shameless advertisement of my fanfics: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/880961/Angelus-alvus
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

The episode was really good Fluttershy line about them thinking she was being naive was great. She basically trolled the heck out of everyone including Discord. Discord was great throughout the whole thing, minus the kind of rushed ending though it wasn't that bad. I still wonder what line they were talking about that would make the internet explode I think it was either meant to be "Well played Fluttershy, well played." or "Oh alright, Friendship is Magic" neither of which were really all that cool really. I would give the episode 8/10 easily bordering on a 9
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

I love how bronies are losing their minds and claiming Discord is ruined. Such manchildren, flipping out at a show that isn't really targeted at them.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Foxstar wrote:I love how bronies are losing their minds and claiming Discord is ruined. Such manchildren, flipping out at a show that isn't really targeted at them.
hmmmm almost everyone on 4chans /mlp/ are perfectly ok with what happened to Discord (other then a few people, and most of them are only complaining that the ending was rushed and the episode could have used about 2-3 more minutes added on) and they complain about the littlest things all the time. Is EQD freaking out that much? That's kind of unusual for them to be angrier then /mlp/
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

Foxstar wrote:I love how bronies are losing their minds and claiming Discord is ruined. Such manchildren, flipping out at a show that isn't really targeted at them.
I don't think Discord has been ruined. That ending could have worked if it hadn't been so freaking rushed. Also, please be polite, dude.
KalloonWhite

Post by KalloonWhite »

Eh, people will complain as they always have, so I could care less.

Personally, I liked the episode, and people act like this should've been longer at lest, but as Foxstar said, people need to remeber this show was made for a pretty young age demographic.
marmalade & sugar song, peanuts & bitter step, It's sweet and bitter and leaves me feeling faint
Foxstar

Post by Foxstar »

angelusbr wrote:
I don't think Discord has been ruined. That ending could have worked if it hadn't been so freaking rushed. Also, please be polite, dude.
It's 22 minutes. Eveyone knows this ahead of time and save for season openers, it's always going to be 22 minutes. Why are people still having fits about stuff being 'rushed'? Every single half hour cartoon on the planet has the same rules they have to follow. And I am being polite, they are being manchildren. That's the polite way of saying it.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

The episode did get that rushed feeling, but it didn't seem to do anything that much wrong.Up until after the tea party in my opinion anyway. It also seems from the comments on Youtube that Fluttershy is way too gullible sometimes. Though i admit i found the ending extremely corny, but hey. At least Discord is free again.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

IceKitsune wrote:Season 3 Finale Title and Synopses Reveled! Magical Mystery Cure "When Twilight casts a spell that switches the Cutie Marks and destinies, the only way to reverse the spell is by writing her own magic." I'm going to make a bold claim here that any Alicorn Twilight is going to be temporary, likely by way of getting Celestia's or Luna's Cutie Mark from the Spell. How any of this has to do with a Princess Coronation is anyone guess at this point. I think everyone can calm the heck down now and relax.
Maybe the Hub wanted to mess with us, so they named their event without even knowing the episode's plot.
But yes, it seems interesting ^_^
I don't see how he's ruined. He did say "most of the time" after all
Foxstar wrote:It's 22 minutes. Eveyone knows this ahead of time and save for season openers, it's always going to be 22 minutes. Why are people still having fits about stuff being 'rushed'? Every single half hour cartoon on the planet has the same rules they have to follow.[/quote
Yes, but most of those shows don't have plot elements like "the bad guy is now good," or if they do, they stretch it over 2 episodes. and we're not having fits, we're stating an opinion that, if it were possible, it would have been better with a few extra minutes.
Foxstar wrote:And I am being polite, they are being manchildren. That's the polite way of saying it.
Actually the polite way is saying they're being "immature".

Overall, I liked the episode. As stated, it could have done with a few more minutes but that isn't the show's fault. I'm pretty sure the big line was the "friendship is magic" line, or possibly when he said "most of the time" Either way, they overestimated how excited we'd get.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I liked the episode! I also could relate to Fluttershy a lot.

I also don't mind Discord's change. It's clear he's still a powerful trickster, so who cares if he isn't maniacally evil? This actually opens up the show to more options now that Discord can exist without the plot turning into "Discord is back and terrorizing everyone and needs to be stopped."
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

I just finished watching this week's episode on youtube, and I rather liked it. Discord being sort-of good now was a nice change. Maybe they can use him as an ally against the really evil villains like the Changelings.

I definitely felt sorry for him when he started tearing up at the idea of losing Fluttershy's friendship. And, it was fun to see Angel being terrorized!
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

The thing is Discord wasn't ever really evil he was an ******* like basically all Omnipotent trickster characters (ie. Q,The Cosmic Nerds from this very comic,Puck from Gargoyles,Kitsunes and Loki and many other Gods/Goddesses from Mythology ect.)
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

That was a good episode. Discord's change was pretty corny, but eh, I like corny.

I'd be amused at a comic with them attempting this same thing with King Sombra, and it backfiring horrifically.

Also, Foxstar, it seems like every time I get on here there's a post by you deriding some people or their reaction to something. It's very disheartening and there's no reason for it.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

IceKitsune wrote:The thing is Discord wasn't ever really evil he was an ******* like basically all Omnipotent trickster characters (ie. Q,The Cosmic Nerds from this very comic,Puck from Gargoyles,Kitsunes and Loki and many other Gods/Goddesses from Mythology ect.)
What part of trying to condition good people by removing their virtues and then enslaving an entire city to his whims isn't evil?
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

Foxstar wrote:
angelusbr wrote:
It's 22 minutes. Eveyone knows this ahead of time and save for season openers, it's always going to be 22 minutes. Why are people still having fits about stuff being 'rushed'? Every single half hour cartoon on the planet has the same rules they have to follow. And I am being polite, they are being manchildren. That's the polite way of saying it.
Adventure Time can throw great paced episodes in 11 minutes. as for one or t parters. There are plenty of shows (old and current) that have a LOT of two or three parters not being restricted to season openers or end.
as for the polite part, I must say I chose the wrong words. I meant: don't be a jerk.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Sleet wrote:What part of trying to condition good people by removing their virtues and then enslaving an entire city to his whims isn't evil?
Well He's probably closer to chaotic neutral. He only removed their virtues because they were going to spoil his chaos with the elements. he didn't exactly effect anypony but the mane 6 in that way. and some good came of it. Did you see how spry Granny Smith was? She had the dance moves of a much younger mare.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:
Sleet wrote:What part of trying to condition good people by removing their virtues and then enslaving an entire city to his whims isn't evil?
Well He's probably closer to chaotic neutral. He only removed their virtues because they were going to spoil his chaos with the elements. he didn't exactly effect anypony but the mane 6 in that way. and some good came of it. Did you see how spry Granny Smith was? She had the dance moves of a much younger mare.
Plus Discording the Mane 6 was part of the game that they agreed to play with him to get the Elements back. Changing who they were was just the lose condition for that particular game. He was just really having fun and they didn't have to agree to play (sure it would mean everything was chaotic forever but still he gave them the choice) so it wasn't really evil. As for the city (and the rest of the world) itself well that's just chaos, he didn't actual enslave anyone, like Sombra did, he just made everything Chaotic. Which isn't evil it just selfish because it doesn't take into account how everyone else will feel about it.
Foxstar

Post by Foxstar »

angelusbr wrote:Adventure Time can throw great paced episodes in 11 minutes. as for one or t parters. There are plenty of shows (old and current) that have a LOT of two or three parters not being restricted to season openers or end.
as for the polite part, I must say I chose the wrong words. I meant: don't be a jerk.
Adventure Time isn't tied to a toyline like MLP is and Cartoon Network is not Hasbro. Different rules. As for being a jerk, no one on here has seen me be a jerk yet. Not even close.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Hello, everyone.

The forum rules preclude attacking or belittling other posters. Please do not call one another "jerks" or confront each other about potential rule violations. Instead, if you see a post that violates the forum rules, you are entirely welcome to report said post.

Further, please keep in mind that everyone is allowed to state their opinion, assuming such is within the confines of the aforementioned rules.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

I'm not sure if I like what they did with Discord yet.

He was my favorite villain ever (Like, of any villain from anything) because all he really wanted to do was cause chaos. He didn't want to hurt anyone, he didn't want to blow up the earth, he didn't want to capture a county and turn everyone into his slaves, he just basically wanted to have fun.

To me, it seemed he could do anything he wanted as long as it wouldn't make sense in the normal word, thus pretty much limiting his power to whatever his imagination could think of. He could get the Elements of Harmony from the chamber that only Celestia herself could open because it "Didn't make sense." What other bad guy can do that?

I personally would like to see another episode with him in season 4 before I pass final judgement, because he could still be really fun and his same "not take anything seriously" self that I love even though he's not "Evil" anymore.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

I had a hilarious idea for an MLP parody song, but I forgot it. :|

Wait, I remember now. Rewrite this => http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xiAbDkXDgg to be about King Sombra. :P
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

King Som-ber-ah style?

I'd buy it on i-tunes.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

New episode was better than I was anticipating from the previews they showed. As expected, there was no real way they could lump a convincing reformation into a single episode, so there's not much to complain about there; Polsky did about as well as one could expect given the time constraint. Discord's antics were quite entertaining throughout, and I feel like he was written fairly well, which was a concern when I saw the previews (which displayed, in my opinion, one of his weakest scenes in the episode).

Only thing that made me really roll my eyes was the gratuitous title drop at the end of the episode.

I'm also looking forward to seeing him in future episodes (next season, I suppose), assuming they don't lose sight of the fact he's still a trickster god even in his reformation to the "good side". I actually suspected they might do something like this for him (maybe it was closer to "hoping" than "suspecting", but meh) quite some time ago, so I can't say I'm disappointed with this episode.

Probably not one I'll be watching again any time soon, but I certainly enjoyed it the first time through.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

this explains why Angel is so grumpy all the time
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Adding that to the list of "Comics I Need To Dub At Some Point".
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

JeffCvt wrote:King Som-ber-ah style?

I'd buy it on i-tunes.
I'd totally write it (or try at least) if I had someone willing to sing it.
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

Revisiting this classic picture.

The prophecy has come true!

Welcome to the team, Discord!
Last edited by Radio Blue Heart on Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:Revisiting this classic picture.

The prophecy has come true!

Welcome to the team, Discord!
Um, think you could try that again? I can't see it.

Edit: oh hey, I just had an idea! The synopsis says that Twilight accidentally changes cutie marks and destinies around, so maybe she gets Rainbow Dash's destiny and grows wings to fly really fast? Then it gets undone by the end?
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Refreshing the page worked for me; this is the pic he posted, though.

On a completely unrelated note: I spent most of the evening I was supposed to be recording lines for an audioplay instead working on a cover of Obsolete by Mic and Lulz. Oops.