A (Late) Christmas Story

Now with new GALLERY

Moderators: Hagus, SeanWolf

JeffCvt

A (Late) Christmas Story

Post by JeffCvt »

Alright, I planned on having this on Christmas, then got delayed from being sick, then was going to have it on New Years day but due to not feeling well for a few days after Christmas and just a general feeling of "blea" over this project from Rick having invalidated it with the end of the The Unbearable Lightness Of Being A Dog arc before I had even finished it, I just haven't really worked on it like I should have.

The past two days I forced myself to type some of it up and got through the first part of it. So here it is. It's not done yet, and I want to have the rest by the end of the week. So, while I finish the rest, enjoy what I have.

King walked into the kitchen and started to rummage through some of the drawers looking for some aspirin. The bags under his eyes showed just how tired he must have been.

When King finally found what he was looking for, Bailey came in and hugged him from behind, surprising him.

“Rough night?” She asked when she noticed the aspirin.

“Real rough. Didn’t get any sleep.”

“I can tell.” She motioned for him to try and check his reflection in a window.

But King had already seen in the bathroom earlier and didn’t want to see again. So instead he took the aspirin he had come for in the first place.

“I know what I look like Bailey, and I don’t want to look at it again.” He said once he swallowed.

“Oh, you’ve looked worse.” She said as she sat at the table.

“Really, when?” King asked as he sat next to her.

“Well, when… Uh…”

“I thought so.” King stated.

“Alright, you look bad.” Bailey said as she rubbed his head just to get on his nerves. “But you’re still cute though.”

“I hate it when you do that.”

“And that’s why I do it.” She winked at him.

King just shook his head. “I should never tell you I don’t like something. You’ll just keep on doing it.”

Bailey rolled her eyes. “I don’t always do that. If I did, I would encourage Bino to give you a hard time. Remember how I punched him when I first came here instead?”

King sank in his seat. “You only did that because you were angry with me at the time. Then you punched me next anyways.”

Bailey rolled her eyes again. “Oh, details. Remember that time I had to save you from the cubs when they were… well, still cubs?”

King sank lower in his seat. “Another memory I’d rather forget. Those cubs were ruthless.”

“What, you want to forget what happened after I saved you too?” Bailey leaned in close to King, whose face was quickly turning red.

“Alright, if it wasn’t for that part, I’d want to forget it.”

-----

“Death to the non-believer!” Yelled the dominate wolf cub who changed his name so much King couldn’t keep track.

“Wait, can’t I just have Christmas day in peace?” King asked as he was surrounded.

The cubs had over heard him saying something about not believing in Santa Claus, and King was sure that the entire thing would end badly for him.

He was supposed to be watching them while the wolves were out doing some Christmas tradition they had decided to start that involved the adults only.

So unless Fox or Bailey decided to drop by in the next ten seconds, he was at the cubs’ mercy.

“What should we do with him?”

“I don’t know, you’re the idea guy!”

“Maybe we could bury him in the back yard?”

“No, Dad will get angry at us for tearing up the grass again.”

More and more of King’s hope went away by the second. He was supposed to go spend some time with Fox and Bailey later, but not for several hours. He wasn’t even sure he’d be alive when that time came.

“Let’s hang him upside-down from a tree!” King heard one of the cubs yell.

“YEA!” The other two yelled in unison as they seemed to produce a rope from nowhere and tied him up.

“Why did I agree to watch you three?” King asked as they dragged him outside.

“It’s not that bad.” King said to himself as the cubs dragged him through the snow, looking for the perfect tree to hang him from. “I’m sure someone will see them dragging me through the town and save me. Of course.”

But deep down King knew that no one would save him. It was Christmas morning and they would be too busy opening presents or talking to notice anything.

He could only hope the branch they hang him from breaks and he manages to escape in the confusion.

Yea right. Chance of that happening, less than 1%. Even if the cubs somehow managed to misjudge the branch they hang him from and it did break, he would still be tied up. And would probably hit his head quite hard upon impact with the ground.

“Here’s a good one!” One of the cubs yelled.

Before he knew it, King was hanging upside down and could feel all the blood rushing too his head.

“Yea!” He heard all three of the cubs yell as they danced underneath of him in victory.

As if being hung from a tree wasn’t embarrassing enough, the cubs now had to dance underneath him, flaunting the power that they had over the “adult” that was supposed to be watching them.

Soon enough though, the cubs grew tired and went back to the house, leaving King to hang until someone found him.

King hung for nearly an hour before someone finally found him.

To his surprise, and embarrassment, it was Bailey.

“Hey King, just hanging out?”

“You just couldn’t resist, could you?”

“No.” Bailey said as she started to slowly let King down. “I went to go see how you were doing with the wolf cubs, but you weren’t in the house. Since there weren’t any of the adult wolves back yet, I figured something like this had happened.”

King stood up and waited a second for all of the blood that was in his head to rush back to his body. “I am never having kids. Ever. They are the devil spawn.”

Bailey laughed as they started to walk back to the wolves’ house. “You know, we were all kids at one point, and we’re not all devil spawn.”

“Well, those three are.” King rubbed his head which had started to develop a headache. “Next time I think I’m going to need your or Fox’s help. I’m so short that I don’t think they’ll ever listen to me.”

“Don’t worry; I’m sure you’ll hit puberty one of these days.”

“You’re never going to let me live this down, are you?”

A goofy grin came across Bailey’s face. “Live it down? You’re so short that if I let you do that, you’ll need a step stool to get on the couch.”

King tried as hard as he could, but couldn’t stop himself from letting out a small chuckle. “That was so bad it was actually good. I’m not even mad.”

Bailey gave him a genuine smile this time. “I’m glad that you at least still have a sense of humor after all of that. As for help with the cubs, why not ask Peanut? I hear that they like him a lot.”

“Maybe.” King rubbed his paws together. “Boy, I wish I had my scarf right now. You don’t realize just how cold it is until you’ve been hanging upside-down for an hour.”

“You mean this one?” Bailey asked as she produced a black scarf from her jacket.

“W- Where did you get that?!” King asked as he jumped for it.

Bailey quickly pulled it away. “I said I stopped at your house before I went looking for you. I may have grabbed it case you were cold.”

“So why won’t you give it to me?” King asked again as he jumped to try and grab it.

“Because I thought this would be more fun!” She said as she started to run. “Got to catch me if you want it!”

King smiled. This was one of the reasons that he loved her. He had mellowed a lot in the years since he had become a dog, and Bailey had gained quite a playful side to her since she had moved to Babylon Gardens. Probably a substitute for all of the work she used to have to do at the farm.

“Alright then, it’s on!” King yelled as he chased her now that she had quite the substantial lead.

“I finally- *Pant* caught you. *Pant* Now give me my scarf.”

Bailey was sprawled out on the wolves’ front lawn, too worn out to do anything else. She tried to lift her arm to give King the scarf, but it just didn’t have the strength at the moment. “You’re going to have to come and get it. I can’t move right now.”

“That serves you righ- Ahhh!” King fell on Bailey as she grabbed his leg. “No fair, you said you couldn’t move.”

King could feel her chest heaving from her laughing. “I didn’t move, I grabbed your leg because it just happened to get close enough that I could. Totally different.”

“Oh, details.” King finally grabbed his scarf.

“At least you’re not cold anymore.” Bailey said as she finally sat up. “I didn’t think you would chase me around until the point I collapsed on the ground.”

King was now lying on the ground, having finally decided to give his legs a rest. “I didn’t think you would run until my legs gave out.”

Bailey pulled him into an upright position. “Come on, you know how hard it is to get dirt out of your fur. I at least have a coat on. I want you to be clean for the gift exchange at my house later.”

“I wouldn’t be like this now if you didn’t run off with my scarf.”

“BORING!” King heard one of the wolf cubs yell as he pushed King from behind into Bailey.

He had no idea how, but when he fell into her, their lips met in a kiss.

Their first kiss.

While they had been a couple for a long while, the extent of their relationship had gone into playful moments like the one they just had and snuggling.

Kissing was something that people did to show affection, but not necessarily all dogs.

Not to mention King was still afraid of total commitment. That total commitment could eventually lead to something he didn’t want. What that something was though, he didn’t know.

Maybe it was fear of rejection after finally finding that special someone who you want to spend your life with. Or perhaps it was his human side, still afraid to accept the reality of spending forever as a dog.

But in that moment, even if only for that moment, those fears went away.

“Well, aren’t you the bold one?” Bailey asked as King’s face turned a bright red. “I never thought you would make the first move for a kiss.”

“Gag!” The cub said as he ran back into the house.

“I’m sorry; I didn’t know he was going to do that.” King said as he tried to get his blush under control.

“It’s alright.” Bailey said as they both got up. “The only problem is that now I have to find you a new Christmas present before tonight.”

“A- New one?” King asked.

“Well, I was going to give you your first kiss under some mistletoe I had hung, but you just beat me to it.”

----------------------------

“I never saw you so red in your life.” Bailey teased as King finished pouring himself a cup of coffee.

“Well, I did just ruin your Christmas gift. Well, technically it was whichever cub pushed me into you, but I still felt bad.”

Bailey gave him a playful shove as he sat back down at the table. “You were blushing because of the kiss and you know it. Admit it.”

“Alright, alright.” He admitted. “I was embarrassed about the kiss and how it happened.” He took a sip of his coffee and immediately made a face. “Ack. Black coffee is great for waking you up, but why does it have to taste bad?” He turned back to Bailey. “It still wasn’t as embarrassing as that time I thought you were going to dump me for Fido.”

“You were such a jealous fool.”

King took another sip of coffee. “You could have at least said something to put my mind at ease. I think you like playing with my head sometimes.”

-----

King was going for a walk through the town, getting ready to meet Fox at the park. He said there was something that he needed to see. King had no idea what it was, but it beat staying in the house all morning.

King had gone out hoping for a peaceful day, but fate had a different plan. Right when he was almost to the park, he saw Bino storming right toward him.

King stepped to the side, hoping that whatever had Bino storming around the town wasn’t related to him.

But it wasn’t to be as Bino confronted him, face to face.

“Alright King, what’s going on? I saw your girlfriend talking to Fido, and I don’t like it.”

King could have tried getting just as huffy as Bino, but he didn’t feel like causing a scene so early in the morning.

“Bino, I don’t know why Bailey was talking to your brother. Just because we’re a couple doesn’t mean I know everything she does at every second of the day. I actually trust her; you should give the concept a try.”

Bino stared at King for a moment, then stomped off with some reluctance.

He didn’t quite believe King, but he also knew better than to get on the wrong side of Bailey. His face had witnessed that firsthand.

Once Bino was gone, King continued to the park without a second though about Bailey and Fido. The truth was that he really did trust her. If anything was to happen, she would let him know.

“So how was your meeting with Fox?” Bailey asked as King sat in the booth at the restaurant.

“It went well I guess. I had no idea the ferrets were starting to build a chocolate pudding fountain in the park. Even if they actually get the pudding to pump, I don’t think it’s going to be very practical.”

“Hey, this little pet-friendly restaurant they started is doing alright.”

King rolled his eyes. “Right. Because restaurants and fountains have so much in common.”

“Alright, point taken.” Bailey took a sip of her water. “But you have to admit, a chocolate pudding fountain would be neat.”

“I guess. Unless Bino thought that it had a hidden camera in it to record everyone in the park. He gets so paranoid. Right before I saw Fox, he confronted me saying that he saw you and Fido talking. He probably thought I was using you to over throw him in retaliation for that stupid prank he tried pulling on me with that scooter and the five buckets of ice cream.”

“Oh, he didn’t bother you too much, did he?”

“No, he left pretty quickly. To be honest, I’m more curious about what you were talking to Fido about than anything.”

King had just been making a statement to show how little he actually cared about Bino confronting him. He didn’t really care to know what Bailey had been talking about with Fido, but what Bailey said did bother him.

“Oh, we were just talking about some personal stuff. Mostly the Good Ol’ Dogs Club though.”

Personal stuff. With Fido, the police dog. King wasn’t sure if he should be worried for her or not.

“Is everything alright? I don’t want to dig into your personal matters, but it’s not like you to sound so vague, and Fido is a police dog.”

Bailey quickly figured out what he was thinking and gave him a playful punch to the shoulder from across the table. “Of course there’s nothing wrong. If there was anything serious enough that I needed to contact the police, I would let you know. And besides, why would I talk with Fido when I live with Officer Bill anyway?”

That managed to put King’s mind at ease. “Ok, you have a point. As long as you’re alright, then let’s order some food. All that talk about the chocolate pudding fountain made me hungry.”

While she claimed to have been alright, King wasn’t convinced. He had been around her long enough to know when she wasn’t telling him something.

He knew it wasn’t his business, and had it been any other dog, he would have let it stay that way.

But he couldn’t get over the fact that Bailey had been so vague. Maybe she had been talking to Fido because she didn’t want to discuss the issue with Bill for some reason. And that whatever the issue was, it was something King couldn’t help her with.

He decided that, whatever the problem was, he would let her handle it if she didn’t want others to get involved.

But at the same time, he would ask around town and see if he could piece together what was going on. If this turned out to be something big, he wanted to be ready for whatever it might be.

“No real information except she’s met with Fido one other time last week.” King mumbled to himself as he walked down the street. “I guess that means either nothing is wrong, or she is really good at hiding her problem.”

He couldn’t help but let the one possibility he hadn’t yet considered creep into his mind. “Or, what if she’s interested in him? He is a tall, handsome police dog. Compared to him I’m just- No! Don’t think like that. If Bailey, for some reason, wanted to find another dog to replace me, she wouldn’t play games like this.”

A face dropped right in front of King. “Who’s playing games?”

King walked right by without flinching. “No one is Max.”

Max dropped down onto the sidewalk. “You’re no fun to scare.”

“You have to be a lot better than that after having lived with the wolf cubs for years.”

Max shrugged and ran to catch up with King. “Comon, I heard something about Fido. What’s going on?”

King facepalmed. This was the last thing he needed right now. “Max, if I wanted you to know, I would have already told you. Now go away before I tell the wolf cubs that you’re waiting to play with them.”

Max made an obvious look of fake terror. “Oh no, not the cubs! Please, anything but them!” On could feel the sarcasm dripping off of his voice.

“Or I could tell Sabrina about those embarrassing photos of her you posted online.”

Max’s face turned from one of fake worry to confusion. “But, I don’t even have embarrassing pictures of her to begin with.”

“You think she’ll check before or after ripping off your good ear?”

Max’s face turned to one of genuine worry this time. “Oh. Uh, as I was saying, I’m going to keep my nose out of your business. Bye!”
And with that, he was already across the street, running the other way.

With Max finally gone, King’s thoughts drifted back toward Bailey and Fido. He knew Bailey wouldn’t do anything to hurt him. Why for his birthday last year she got him-

His birthday. It was coming up next week. Maybe that was it. Maybe she did want to dump him, but just wanted to wait until after his birthday. That made sense.

And on the other hand, he could just be completely over thinking everything and she was just talking to Fido.
King, for better or worse, decided to not say anything about this to Bailey until she brought it up first.

As the days went by, King shifted from one extreme to the other.

Sometimes he was convinced that it was over between him and Bailey and he should just accept it. Other times he had managed to convince himself that Bailey would never do such a thing to him. If she wanted a new boyfriend, she wouldn’t drag it out and have secret meetings with them.

When the day of his birthday finally came, King was terrified.

He had woken up to find a note on his face. It read:

King,
Meet me at the GODC clubhouse at 5:00 PM today.
Have a happy birthday.
Love,
Bailey

Two things ran through his mind at that moment. One, she was going to throw him a party because she’s a great girlfriend and wants to show how much she wants to stay with him. Or two, she was throwing him a party as the last hurrah that they will ever have together as a couple.

Of course, the day couldn’t go by fast enough for King when he was thinking that Bailey would never leave him, and couldn’t go by slow enough when he was sure this would be their last day as a couple.

He walked around the edge of town, circling it several times, he tried taking a nap, tried talking to Fox, heck, he even tried playing with the cubs at one point.

By the time 5:00 had finally come around, King felt that he had aged a year in the past few hours.

He stood outside of the clubhouse, ready to deal with whatever was going to happen when he saw Bailey.

But as he opened the door, King was surprised to see Bailey standing in the room alone.

There weren’t any decorations at all. In fact, everything had been pushed to the side, leaving the center open.

“You were expecting a party, weren’t you?” Bailey asked as King wandered in.

“I was. So why didn’t half of the town jump out at me yelling ‘surprise?’”

Bailey walked over to a CD player she had set up and pushed a button. “I figured you might just want to dance.” Taylor Swift’s “Love Story” started playing.

King didn’t object as he grabbed Bailey’s paws and they started to move back and forth in rhythm with one another.

It may have looked funny to any onlookers, mostly due to their difference in height, but they didn’t care. Mostly because there wasn’t anyone to watch them anyway.

They simply danced in silence as the song went on.

-Little did I know
-That you were Romeo, you were throwing pebbles
-And my daddy said stay away from Juliet

“Romeo and Juliet, not exactly the couple that comes to mind when I think of us.” King finally said.

“I chose this song because it’s beautiful, not the lyrics. Just listen to it.”

They continue to dance as the song goes on.

-So I sneak out to the garden to see you
-We keep quite cause we’re dead if they knew
-So close your eyes

“Bailey?” King asked

“Yea?”

“You’re not planning on leaving me, are you?”

Bailey smiled as they kept dancing. “Of course not. Fox told me something seemed off about you this week, and I figured it had something to do with me talking to Fido.

They continued to dance some more.

-Romeo save me, they’re trying to tell me how to feel
-This love is difficult, but it’s a real

“Why didn’t you tell me?” King asked when there was a break in the lyrics.

“Because I had been talking to him about getting the clubhouse to ourselves right now. If I had told you, the surprise would have been ruined.”

King smiled. “You could have just said there was nothing going on. I would have been too relieved to figure out you were setting this up.”

“I could have, but that was in the past so shhhh. This is my favorite part.”

-He knelt to the ground and pulled out a ring and said
-Marry me Juliet
-You’ll never have to be alone
-I love you and that’s all I really know
-I talked to your dad, go pick out a white dress
-It’s a love story baby just say-
-Yes

When the song stopped, King and Bailey let go of each other.

“So you still love me?” King asked. He could feel he face becoming red.

“Enough to throw you your very own one guest party here at the clubhouse.” She said as she kissed him on the cheek.

“You still threw me a real party somewhere, didn’t you?”

“The wolves’ house. They were supposed to quickly set it up while I kept you busy here.”

“Have you kept me busy long enough?”

Bailey though for a second. “I guess I have. But it was supposed to be a surprise party, so you have to act surprised.”

-----

“Are you sure you don’t want to at least take a quick nap?” Bailey asked as King put his scarf on.

“No, I’ll be fine.” King said as he opened the door.

“Alright.” Bailey stepped next to King. “You just need to do one thing first.”

“And that is?”

No sooner had King asked, Bailey grabbed his scarf and ran outside. “You got to catch me first!”

“Come on, Fox is waiting for me!” King yelled as he chased her around the front yard. He knew full well Fox wouldn’t mind him being late though.

King or Bailey being on time for anything lately was rare. Not that anyone could really blame them.

“I won’t give it to you unless you promise to take it easy when you get back!”

“Fine, I promise that I’ll take it easy tonight when-”

“Waaaa!” They both heard a cry come from the front door that King forgot to shut.

“- I get back.” King finished once the cry died down.

Bailey put his scarf on him. “You go see Fox. I’ll take care of him.”

“I don’t think so.” King said as he followed her into the house. “I’m not going to let you do all of the work. He’s both our responsibilities.”

“King, you’ve been five times the father he’ll ever need and he’s not even a year old yet. I think you have earned at least one day to yourself.”

“Nonsense.”

“Oh. Well in that case let me just go watch some TV while you do everything. I mean, being his mother and all I sure don’t want to do anything…”

King sighed. “Alright, we’ll both get him this time.”

“And then you relax the rest of the day.” Bailey said as they stopped at the doorway to the baby’s room. “You just stayed up all night with him, trying to get him to fall asleep. If you don’t get some kind of rest, you’re going to turn into a zombie.”

“Alright, alright.” King finally gave in. “After this, I’ll go see Fox and relax a little.”

“Good.” Bailey said as she opened the door.

END
Last edited by JeffCvt on Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
musclecar326

Re: A (Late) Christmas Story

Post by musclecar326 »

This was a great Christmas themed update that was proven wrong by Rick. But it could still be taking place in another version of the world. Either way it was a great chapter with plenty of one-liners that made me laugh. Keep up the good work and work on the next part so that us loyal fans can appreciate your work even more.
Yes, I am a furry.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

sometimes ignoring canon is the job of fan fic writers. I can't wait to read more.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

Oh, just going to let you all know now, I probably won't have the rest of this on Friday. I am going to try and have it on Saturday though. My entire Tuesday got taken up and some of Wednesday did too. But I should be able to make plenty of time on Saturday, so I'll have the rest then.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Karl

Post by Karl »

Write when you have a free time and that you feel you can do it. Don't force yourself.
I'm a bookworm!
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

That's good advice Karlos, but not for me.

I've been writing for just about a year now and all I can say is I work best the way that I'm currently doing it. I did the whole "Only write when you feel like it" thing for this story right up until 4 days before Christmas, and we all see how that turned out.

Personally, as a writer here, I would like to put out something at least every 10-14 days. Does that always happen, no. But I like to try, and sometimes forcing myself to write is the only way. If I don't make myself, this story can be considered as good as dead.

Everyone is different, and I've learned that for me personally, just making myself write can lead to the best quality stuff I have. I really hope that you are all enjoying this and will continue to enjoy the rest of it.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

A god story so far. And that is fine. Non canon work can sometimes be the best there is. I remember one pokemon fic I read a long time ago....

I am glad you have figured out yourself as a writer. That is hard to do at times. Good luck to you.
My characters
Everybody has a story to tell. What's yours?
Karl

Post by Karl »

copper wrote:A god story so far.
Now that's a strong compliment :lol:
I'm a bookworm!
MapleRatty

Post by MapleRatty »

...curses you beat me to the punch Karlos

Bailey punched King...and he LIVED :shock:

Awesome story so far by the way
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

Alright, finished. Almost a full month later than I wanted it. Bah, I'm glad it's finally done. Now I can finally get to work on my normal stories without feeling bad.

For all of your ease in finding where you left off, I put a long ---------- where you should have finished if you read the stuff I had earlier. I hope you enjoy it. At least I'll know it was worth it then.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

and ignore canon you shall. really surprise ending there.
I enjoyed reading it.
now get back to work on your main fic cause I don't wanna wait too long =P
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

A very interesting ending. Happy and interesting.

I just wonder how Fox feels about this. He is basically an uncle now.

I did enjoy reading it, thank you!
My characters
Everybody has a story to tell. What's yours?