Dissension

Re: Are You A Furry?

Post by Dissension »

*laughs hysterically* No, it's not.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

Why would that be dangerous? They know me well enough to know that, even if they know of the furry fandom and the bad rap that surrounds it, I wouldn't get involved in most of it. (Heck, I don't think I'm even truly aware of all the negative stuff about it. And I'm glad to keep it that way)
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

The Fandom has its good sides as well as its bad sides. But, that's pretty much everything in this world. I avoid the negative side of the fandom as much as possible, and I haven't really had any problem in doing that.

And on another note, I recently changed my fursona. I'm now a Shetland Sheepdog. :)
Life is Music, and Music is Life
------------------
My songs: http://www.soundcloud.com/onevirtue

Check out my FA page too!
Nyaliva

Post by Nyaliva »

Being a furry is one of those things that people will make the wildest accusations about just from the word, you never know what someone will think. That being said, I'm sure Jeff knows his friends well enough to expect if they'll judge him so harshly, not to mention he's only asking if they've heard of furries. My dad saw me posting here saying I like furry webcomics (he always seems to walk past when I'm on this particular topic) and he didn't know what I was talking about. And he's not even old! :P
Alastair wrote:And on another note, I recently changed my fursona. I'm now a Shetland Sheepdog. :)
Awesome! They're so fluffy!!! :D
Feel like you need a friend? I'm happy to talk anytime! :D

I'm on DeviantArt now!
Currently working on: "The Warriors" Book
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I approve of this change!
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

Sleet wrote:I approve of this change!
Yay! :D
------------------

Senorpie7

Post by Senorpie7 »

Alastair wrote:The Fandom has its good sides as well as its bad sides. But, that's pretty much everything in this world. I avoid the negative side of the fandom as much as possible, and I haven't really had any problem in doing that.

And on another note, I recently changed my fursona. I'm now a Shetland Sheepdog. :)
I have to agree with you that the fandom, like all, has its bad side and there is nothing that we can do to stop it because people are out to simply have a good time :3
The thing that bothers me about said people having a good time in their own ways is that it give the clean sides of the fandom a bad press.
But I digress, I am a total furry and I am not afraid to show it!
A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.~ Jeramy Clarkson, Top gear <3
~\Rook/~

Post by ~\Rook/~ »

Nyaliva wrote:Being a furry is one of those things that people will make the wildest accusations about just from the word, you never know what someone will think. That being said, I'm sure Jeff knows his friends well enough to expect if they'll judge him so harshly, not to mention he's only asking if they've heard of furries. My dad saw me posting here saying I like furry webcomics (he always seems to walk past when I'm on this particular topic) and he didn't know what I was talking about. And he's not even old! :P
Heh, The way I told my family was when I drew my first bit of 'furry' art..

I'd thought they'd ask a lot of questions, but all they said was "You can't change what your into, and it's a nice picture.."

I was extremely surprised!

Anyway, I've been a furry ever since finding a furry webcomic whilst looking through cat pictures, funnily enough..

Oh, and I'd be a cat. To be more specific, i'm a Tuxedo/English Shorthair cross. Called Rook!
Profile Picture by Hukley
Character Reference
Duster

Post by Duster »

Huh weird I always thought "furries" (outside of art of course) were mostly people who were into the whole suit scene.
I can attest that while I am not A furry by my definition I've enjoyed the art and writting (along with some wiley characters( *you know who you are*)) ever since I was a kid.
It's really in no small part due to my love of nature, animals and the feeling it gives me to see places like Africa, India or Montana filled with life.
Or in contrast the small down to earth stuff like coming home and playing with your grumpy best friend in fuzzy pants as he tries to greet you to death.
I can't help but get misty eyed when I see life at work in all it's complexities and splendor, and I believe i'm certaintly not alone when i say this.
So maybe there should be a new term for Furry art enthusiasts or perhaps over time people will come to see the that the word is used far to broadly to accurately define what people really like or dislike.
Last edited by Duster on Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Extraordinary things happen to Extraordinary people!
also . . .
I'm the Best in the West!
DingoVolf
Location: It was unwise to wake the 3-eyed cat, but we did it anyways, and now look at us. Whatever you do,

Post by DingoVolf »

I think the original title was "anthropomorphic fan" / "fan of anthropomorphics", which got shortened to "furry fan" until the fan part fell off to become just "furry". So technically, a fan of anthropomorphics (things having both human and animal characteristics) = a furry. I've said it before that it's a shame both society and the fans have contributed to the notion of a furry being a deviant, but it is what it is, and I'm happy to be a part of it.

Was also thinking back of past furry conventions and looking at the attendance records and WOW, furry has grown, if con attendance is any indication. MFF 2001 was (I think) around 500 people total. 2012 there were like 700 fursuiters ALONE, and about 3,200 total attendees. My math may be horribly off but if furry is seeing a %20 increase BEYOND the growth of the human population as a whole... total assimilation is inevitable. ;)
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

The fursuit thing is actually a later addition to the fandom. Originally that kinda thing wasn't even a furry standard.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Nyaliva

Post by Nyaliva »

I was thinking about telling a friend I was furry the other day when he called another friend a furry because they said they thought an animal cartoon character was cute. He was just joking but he said in such a derogatory manner I was instantly turned off the idea of telling him I was a furry. Then I asked him later what his definition of a furry (and a potential furry) was and both were a LOT less innocent than simply liking anthro stuff. So I told him I definitely wasn't a furry by his definition but I did like anthro stuff and he was like "Yeah, that's fine! Nothing wrong with that." Then the next day he saw me looking at a comic and he was like "Eh, stop looking at that furry **** man."

I love my friends. :)

I'm on DeviantArt now!
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

Nyaliva wrote:I was thinking about telling a friend I was furry the other day when he called another friend a furry because they said they thought an animal cartoon character was cute. He was just joking but he said in such a derogatory manner I was instantly turned off the idea of telling him I was a furry. Then I asked him later what his definition of a furry (and a potential furry) was and both were a LOT less innocent than simply liking anthro stuff. So I told him I definitely wasn't a furry by his definition but I did like anthro stuff and he was like "Yeah, that's fine! Nothing wrong with that." Then the next day he saw me looking at a comic and he was like "Eh, stop looking at that furry **** man."

Sounds like he's been misinformed about the fandom somehow. Maybe you could try to explain to him that being a furry is not defined necessarily by bad things. Maybe show him good examples of furry stuff in the media like in games and movies and things like that.
------------------

Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Alastair wrote:
Nyaliva wrote:I was thinking about telling a friend I was furry the other day when he called another friend a furry because they said they thought an animal cartoon character was cute. He was just joking but he said in such a derogatory manner I was instantly turned off the idea of telling him I was a furry. Then I asked him later what his definition of a furry (and a potential furry) was and both were a LOT less innocent than simply liking anthro stuff. So I told him I definitely wasn't a furry by his definition but I did like anthro stuff and he was like "Yeah, that's fine! Nothing wrong with that." Then the next day he saw me looking at a comic and he was like "Eh, stop looking at that furry **** man."

Sounds like he's been misinformed about the fandom somehow. Maybe you could try to explain to him that being a furry is not defined necessarily by bad things. Maybe show him good examples of furry stuff in the media like in games and movies and things like that.
Agreed entirely. Usually it just takes being shown the real fandom to turn that around, assuming they aren't really immature and/or judgmental.
Nyaliva

Post by Nyaliva »

He is extremely immature but that's why I know he doesn't mean it. :P He'd totally be judgemental of anyone who does involve themselves with the bad part of the fandom but he doesn't assume it's actually true if someone says they like furry stuff. I asked if he'd be alright if I recommended some anthro stuff for him to read and he said "Yeah, that's fine." knowing that I wouldn't send him anything that was mature. Any guff he gives me is totally in jest, by his standards I'm not even a potential furry so he doesn't even feel like he needs to "save me" (his words not mine).

I'm going to show him Housepets! soon, it might not be his kind of humour but it'll show him the kind of stuff I read, although the name of the first book doesn't really help my cause...

I'm on DeviantArt now!
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

Nyaliva wrote:He is extremely immature but that's why I know he doesn't mean it. :P He'd totally be judgemental of anyone who does involve themselves with the bad part of the fandom but he doesn't assume it's actually true if someone says they like furry stuff. I asked if he'd be alright if I recommended some anthro stuff for him to read and he said "Yeah, that's fine." knowing that I wouldn't send him anything that was mature. Any guff he gives me is totally in jest, by his standards I'm not even a potential furry so he doesn't even feel like he needs to "save me" (his words not mine).

I'm going to show him Housepets! soon, it might not be his kind of humour but it'll show him the kind of stuff I read, although the name of the first book doesn't really help my cause...
Hopefully you can get him to see what the fandom's all about.:) who knows, he may actually like it.

I've been pondering whether or not I should try to get my friend more interested in the fandom. A little while back I showed him the fandom, and he seemed interested in it, and he even made a fursona. But now he seems kinda "meh" about it. :/
------------------

Duster

Post by Duster »

Alastair wrote:
Nyaliva wrote:He is extremely immature but that's why I know he doesn't mean it. :P He'd totally be judgemental of anyone who does involve themselves with the bad part of the fandom but he doesn't assume it's actually true if someone says they like furry stuff. I asked if he'd be alright if I recommended some anthro stuff for him to read and he said "Yeah, that's fine." knowing that I wouldn't send him anything that was mature. Any guff he gives me is totally in jest, by his standards I'm not even a potential furry so he doesn't even feel like he needs to "save me" (his words not mine).

Hopefully all goes well with that! :)

I've been pondering whether or not I should try to get my friend more interested in the fandom. A little while back I showed him the fandom, and he seemed interested in it, and he even made a fursona. But now he seems kinda "meh" about it. :/
@ Alastair. People have different tastes and i'm sure your friend has something he's really into as well. Plus if he went through the trouble of making an "anthro-avatar" i'd say he likes it well enough.

@Nyaliva. Don't be so coy about it i'm sure he'll either take it or leave it. Houspets! comic is fairly tame and isn't trying to be anything negative ( in fact it's pretty much PG), Just put your best foot forward and show him. Besides if our generation has taught me anything it's that people are not as concerned about what is going on online and i believe the worst thing that could happen is that your friend could be "Snarky".
also . . .
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Take him to a convention, Alastair!
The Grey Wolverine

Post by The Grey Wolverine »

Im dragging some friends to a con with me.
Please click this link and support me on FA. http://www.furaffinity.net/user/greywolverene/
Nyaliva

Post by Nyaliva »

Alastair wrote:I've been pondering whether or not I should try to get my friend more interested in the fandom. A little while back I showed him the fandom, and he seemed interested in it, and he even made a fursona. But now he seems kinda "meh" about it. :/
I'd say it's just not something he'd consider part of his personailty, but that doesn't mean he'd shun you if you tried to get him more involved. I mean if he made his own fursona, I'm sure he'd be interested enough to get involved if you are. I'd agree with Sleet, take him to a convention if you know one that's pretty tame.
Duster wrote:Don't be so coy about it i'm sure he'll either take it or leave it. Houspets! comic is fairly tame and isn't trying to be anything negative ( in fact it's pretty much PG), Just put your best foot forward and show him. Besides if our generation has taught me anything it's that people are not as concerned about what is going on online and i believe the worst thing that could happen is that your friend could be "Snarky".
Housepets! is totally PG, which is why it'd be the first one I'd show him, and if he doesn't like it he's exactly the type to be snarky, but he wouldn't treat me any differently and I wouldn't feel put down by it. Now I just gotta wait until I see him next which could be several weeks. :P

Thanks for the reassurance guys! :)

I'm on DeviantArt now!
Macsen

Post by Macsen »

There are plenty of PG furry comics out there to show him (though I would definitely put Housepets! there first :) ).
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Precocious is another good choice (though I feel Housepets! has significantly more polish.)
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

You know, I've tried reading other web comics, but none appeal to me like Housepets! does.
------------------

Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
Duster

Post by Duster »

Alastair wrote:You know, I've tried reading other web comics, but none appeal to me like Housepets! does.
I completly agree with you, there just seems to be something more appealing (albeit simple) about Housepets! to me than other web comics.

@ Radio Blue Heart: thats hilarious i'd seen the japanese version but not THIS one!!
also . . .
The Grey Wolverine

Post by The Grey Wolverine »

On the topic of webcomics, I know of one thats, okay, called Two Guys and Guy, and its only good for for one reason. There are 3 characters in it, I don't like two of them at all, but the character Frank(The goggled one) is SO GOOD. The humor with him is somewhat dark, but its smart, and what some people think Ill be like in the future. Heres a few examples:
http://www.twogag.com/archives/2558
http://www.twogag.com/archives/2638
http://www.twogag.com/archives/1705
Please click this link and support me on FA. http://www.furaffinity.net/user/greywolverene/
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

I relate to dark humor, so I think I'll look into this comic and this character more. Haha
------------------

Honorable Intentions

Post by Honorable Intentions »

I'm sure I've posted this somewhere.

But on the subject of being a furry. This accurately describes me and what I went through roughly a year ago. Right down to the denial about "just being into werewolves" and a coyote fursona thing. Nowadays I'm quite open about being in the fandom. Most of my friends already know I'm a furry, I'm dating a furry, and I think a good chunk of the people I hangout with are closet furries.

Seriously like half of them make anthro animal D&D characters.
At the end of the day I often think about what I have done for the world. What I have changed, perhaps made better or worse. I then sit at a computer for hours and look at pictures of cats.

RP Character:
Lucky Abbot: S-9 P-6 E-7 C-6 I-7 A-4 L-3
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

i think I'm gonna be stopping at the second panel of that comic. only semi-furry
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

That sounds like so many people I know.
Nyaliva

Post by Nyaliva »

@Radio Blue Heart: That was absolutely brilliant! Had me laughing for ages!

@The Grey Wolverine: I remember I started reading that but stopped because Frank was the only character I liked. That last strip is awesome!

@Honorable Intentions: Yeah I pretty much went through most of that. I don't really want a fursuit because they rarely look good enough, but that fact is pushing me to try designing my own one...Needless to say, I'm comfortable with it now but I haven't told most of my friends because I believe their definitions of "furry" are radically different to mine.

@RandomGeekNamedBrent: Well of course YOU can stop at the second panel, you're a shape-shifter, you could be any one of those panels you wanted! :P

I'm on DeviantArt now!
Radio Blue Heart

Duster wrote:
Alastair wrote:You know, I've tried reading other web comics, but none appeal to me like Housepets! does.
I completly agree with you, there just seems to be something more appealing (albeit simple) about Housepets! to me than other web comics.

@ Radio Blue Heart: thats hilarious i'd seen the japanese version but not THIS one!!
Nyaliva wrote:@Radio Blue Heart: That was absolutely brilliant! Had me laughing for ages!
I loved that show. They did some many funny things with fur suits. I winder if that poor fool had any idea of what was going on.

If you go to a web comic index called "The Belfry" you can set filters to get all the furry comics that they have listed.
-Virgil
TinFoilHats

Post by TinFoilHats »

Yup, I met a hater up close today. At school, we have this retro game club where you can bring in an NES or SNES game so you and the other people can play the games. Today, while the other guys were playing this one NES shooting game, I was watching a guy play Minecraft and when he was browsing the character skins, he came across some furry skins and said " Wow, this guy created furry skins. Ha ha, them furries and their love of porn" in a half amused, half irritated sort of way. After hearing that, I proceeded to tell him that I have a few friends online who are furries(I'm not referring to just you guys), that they hate porn, and that not all furries are like that. After which, he said something that I couldn't hear because of the other games obnoxiously loud bleeps and bloops, but I had a feeling that he said something negative.
I AM RUBBER, YOU ARE GLUE!!!!
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Blugh, haters gonna hate. He certainly isn't making any friends by being so judgmental.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

My media assistant friend was like that.
Then I got him into furry webcomics and now he knows the community isn't stereotypically creepy.
Let me tell you about Homestuck.
Oblivious Adobo

Post by Oblivious Adobo »

Honorable Intentions wrote:I think a good chunk of the people I hangout with are closet furries.
I had told one of my online friends I think he's a furry and he gotten pretty infuriated at me for doing so, anyways the gist is after he calmed down I asked him "Would you call yourself a furry if it didn't mean you would get lumped in with [those bad stereotypes?]" and he responds saying "Yeah, I guess. I do admire anthro art. It takes skill."
I'm like a ninja; only loud and annoying.
Radio Blue Heart

"CSI" did more damage to the reputation of furries than we will ever know.

But, webcomics are a good way to safely introduce people to this genre and not weord them out. That is how I discovered this fandom.
-Virgil
Macsen

Post by Macsen »

I thought the worst was MTV's Sex2K. That really led the way for the hatedom.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:But, webcomics are a good way to safely introduce people to this genre and not weord them out. That is how I discovered this fandom.
I'd say the same, but then I remembered one of my friends in high school was furry. So I was cool with it even before I joined the forums here.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
KalloonWhite

Post by KalloonWhite »

To tell the truth, I started thinking I was a furry for all the wrong reasons before I learned better.
marmalade & sugar song, peanuts & bitter step, It's sweet and bitter and leaves me feeling faint