Discussion: Video Games

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

IceKitsune

Re: Discussion: Video Games

Post by IceKitsune »

Well everyone AGDQ is over for another year! If you watched I hoped you had a blast the Marathon has earned $418,486.34 for the Prevent Cancer Foundation, which is just amazing. If you missed any games videos will be up on Speed Demos Archives later on in the week. Well now its time for the bonus stream and then its wait till the next Marathon.
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Pokemon has always had some pretty complicated algorithms behind it, yes. But, as Sleet said, they've also never really come into play unless you play the games on a competitive level.

I did try EV training once before; in White. I trained a Sneasel (Adamant nature for +Atk and -SpAtk) with max Atk and Speed EVs, a Tangrowth (Relaxed nature for +Def and -Speed) with max Def and SpAtk EVs and the remaining 6 in HP, and I started on a Milotic (Calm nature for +SpDef and -Atk), maxing out HP and getting to about 100 SpDef EVs.

I was doing it all manually, of course, so I got burnt out and stopped at that point.

Never again. If I ever do end up doing competitive stuff (highly unlikely), I'll just use a GameShark or something. :P
"When you're falling in a forest and there's nobody around,
do you ever really crash or even make a sound?"
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

It is satisfying to have a well-bred Pokémon finally finished, but I just don't feel it's worth it for me.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
exranio

Post by exranio »

I just watched a high level pokemon tournament at Day one of Apex 2013. And DANG, competitive Pokemon is long. It's almost as long as 3 out of 5 in KoF.
So check out my Deviant art http://exranion.deviantart.com/ It has ponies, furries, and the link to my tumblr!
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

I totally do not have the attention span nor time to raise a well-bred, well-trained Pokemon. It's mostly the attention span that I'm lacking.
Let me tell you about Homestuck.
Stuff.

Post by Stuff. »

Hey guys

Can I tell you something about Capcom

They keep trying to act like they care. And they keep failing. Miserably.

It's quite sad, really, that this is the fate of the Mega Man franchise. Well, that and...this.

/whine
*cough*
Esquire Fox

Post by Esquire Fox »

Capcom has gained something of a reputation for this kind of stuff now. They are completely out of touch with their fan base. Which is quite sad, because many of my favorite games were published/developed by that very same company.
- Esquire Fox

What do you mean that's not what the signature is for?
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

If I'm not mistaken, the so-called magaman vs street fighter game wasn't even made by capcom. It was a fan-made game and capcom is merely publishing it with the authorization of the creators. I honestly tought capcm was awsome when I was a kid, but now I hate this company.

For instance, I don't buy DLCs. Never bought and never will, because that's pretty much a company selling half game at full price and then selling the other half of the game in individiual pieces, which pretty much sums in paying twice just to have a full game.
I remember when games were made full of secrets, care and when they wanted to add something to a game, they would just make an expansion pack (which most of the times was apretty much a whole new game and not just "new gun" or a "new cloth").

Yeah, I know that their sorry excuse for DLC is "piracy", which I call ** on. If they make a good game then people WILL buy it. For example, the DS was cracked and yet, pokemon blac &white were hot sellers. People buy what they like. It's not piracy that is ruinin games and company. Their problems are horrible half-made games at twice their value.
Esquire Fox wrote:Capcom has gained something of a reputation for this kind of stuff now. They are completely out of touch with their fan base. Which is quite sad, because many of my favorite games were published/developed by that very same company.
Funny fact about their connection with their fan base. I remember when Megaman legends 3 was being first announced, Capcom asked their fans for support creating characters and other things.
There was a massive fan response seding designs of characters and many stuff capcom requested, then Capcom said "oops. Sorry. There wasn't any fan interest in this game. We wanted you to make the game FOR us and not just give suggestions."
Shameless advertisement of my fanfics: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/880961/Angelus-alvus
exranio

Post by exranio »

What about when the DLC is straight up made later.
I agree dis-locked content is annoying. But when the DLC is made after the fact I find it quite acceptable. I still got a finished game that is entirely complete.

On capcom in particular. I still like Capcom a lot. Their business practices are definitely pretty crappy. But I still love the games that come out of the company, which frankly is good enough for me.
So check out my Deviant art http://exranion.deviantart.com/ It has ponies, furries, and the link to my tumblr!
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I think DLC is only acceptable if it's stuff they made after the game released and the main game wasn't specifically made with the possibility in mind for that content to be DLC.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

Sleet wrote:I think DLC is only acceptable if it's stuff they made after the game released and the main game wasn't specifically made with the possibility in mind for that content to be DLC.
My argument about call of duty DLC right here.

(Except that it IS made after the game is released.)
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

I can't stand Capcom now, they went from one of my favorite developers to one of my most hated in the span of a couple years.
Sometimes I wish the world would end in 2012
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Tha Housefox wrote:
Sleet wrote:I think DLC is only acceptable if it's stuff they made after the game released and the main game wasn't specifically made with the possibility in mind for that content to be DLC.
My argument about call of duty DLC right here.

(Except that it IS made after the game is released.)
More maps and stuff are just fine. That's exactly the kind of thing DLC should exist for. To keep them from having to release an all-new game in order to add content (not like they aren't gonna do it anyway...) Though I mourn the concept of "unlockables" that used to be really exciting in games. Nowadays something cool isn't earned by doing something difficult, but by getting out your credit card.

Another pet peeve is in-game preorder bonuses. For example, in the Xbox 360 version of Left 4 Dead 2, the baseball bat wasn't available unless you preordered from GameStop. I think physical preorder bonuses are great and also help compensate for the fact that game packaging and manuals and the likes have become extremely sparse. But don't require me to preorder to get the full game, please.
Duster

Post by Duster »

I agree with you on that note Sleet, unless I REALLY like the video game i'm gonna buy I don't splurge on the dlc or pre-ordering.
Although to be fair I really like (most) vidya games!
Extraordinary things happen to Extraordinary people!
also . . .
I'm the Best in the West!
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I often will pre-order games I know I'm gonna buy anyway, because it doesn't cost any more money. But still, I hate the idea that I don't get the full game unless I do.
Esquire Fox

Post by Esquire Fox »

I pre-order games I know I am going to buy because it helps the people at my local GameStop. They are required by the corporation to meet a certain quota for pre-orders, among other things. I've managed to build a very positive relationship with the store. If there is a rare game I'm looking to find, they'll call another store in the country and have it shipped. I get picks on anything they are going to throw away; they chuck a lot of stuff (strategy guides, boxes, displays, posters, etc). I've even been invited to attend a convention with the manager, but I don't think I can afford to go.

So if you're going to buy the game anyways, you might as well help them out.
- Esquire Fox

Nyaliva

Post by Nyaliva »

I don't often pre-order games because I can rarely afford it when they come out, but if they have a really cool pre-order bonus I usually find a way to scrounge up the cash. On the subject of DLC, I think it's a good idea that's abused by the game companies to sell a whole game in bits. With a lot of DS games, you can download extra missions and puzzles off the internet for free after you finish the main game, they're actual extra bits that the game doesn't need or expect before you finish it. If they put a price on them, like $10, I'd be happy to pay because it allows me to continue playing games I love.

There's a game my friends started playing recently that you can download for free but it takes forever to level up any of your weapons or skills and there are a million weapons and skills to level up, OR you can just pay to do it. The problem is, leveling up without paying is made harder by the people who have payed and make it impossible to get any experience points because you keep dying. That's the kind of system I hate, a game which you have to pay more to enjoy at all.
Feel like you need a friend? I'm happy to talk anytime! :D

I'm on DeviantArt now!
Currently working on: "The Warriors" Book
The Grey Wolverine

Post by The Grey Wolverine »

Okay, so guys, there is a really cool cyberpunk game being made by the guys who made The Witcher games called Cyberpunk 2070, based off the boadgame Cyberpunk 2020, I won't link you guys to any of the stuff, its bloody, and I don't want to test the mods patience, but honestly, light Google search, and you'll find it, its a neat premise, and I hope it becomes a good game.
Please click this link and support me on FA. http://www.furaffinity.net/user/greywolverene/
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

I bought a Gameboy Color today at a flea market.

Am I cool now?
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Yes you are. I loved that thing. I have such good memories!
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Speaking of GameBoy Color, anyone here have Super GameBoy? The SNES GameBoy cartridge? I still do. Played Pokemon Silver and Gold on it non-stop :D
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Duster

Post by Duster »

Heck yeah! I still have my old pokemon red, blue and yellow games in a place of honor! (inside a ziplock baggy on my shelf) I just couldn't through away something I spent so much time with when I was younger.
also . . .
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

I still have my game boy color. But it's malfuctioning and there's no game store near me that will fix it. They say it's an old console and they don't work with them anymore.
I had three cartridges for it: tetris, pokemon crystal and one of the famous 30 something games in one cartridge. I still have the last two cartridges. I think I lost my tetris cartridge.
Shameless advertisement of my fanfics: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/880961/Angelus-alvus
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

I still have my very first handheld system, a purple Game Boy Advance.

So many childhood memories, and such a strain on the eyes.
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

Did anyone else play Jade cocoon?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfqbDSfw9_Y
It's pretty much a pokemonish game where you can fuse the monsters you capture giving them body parts and powers that the originals had.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

I did. Never beat it though. Loved the battle music and played it quite a bit. I might find it and play it again someday.
The Grey Wolverine

Hy first handeld was a purple gameboy color, sadly I don't have it anymore. On a related note, I found my copy of Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories today, I love this game.
Please click this link and support me on FA. http://www.furaffinity.net/user/greywolverene/
Esquire Fox

Post by Esquire Fox »

Ni No Kuni comes out tomorrow. I can't wait to play it!
Hopefully we will see more Studio Ghibli collaborated games in the future.

- Esquire Fox

GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Hear about that game at work. I might take a look into it.

Also ~ If you're a PC gamer like me ~ Elder Scrolls Online Beta! We should totally make a guild of Argonians :D
Duster

Post by Duster »

Wow I totally forgot about that game, yeah that would be pretty neat to do!
?Any objections?
also . . .
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

@Grey- I got my GBA for Christmas nine years ago. As a young kid, I made the mistake of leaving it in my dad's truck on a cold, snowy, Massachusetts evening. Being from Halifax yourself (by the way, I used to live in that town), you know what I mean when I say that was a mistake. The dampness in the air caused mild water damage to the screen. I can still see everything perfectly, but the water damage takes the appearance of deep, deep scratches on the screen.
Esquire Fox wrote:Ni No Kuni comes out tomorrow. I can't wait to play it!
Hopefully we will see more Studio Ghibli collaborated games in the future.
I thought that artwork looked familiar! They did The Secret World of Arrietty! <3 I loved that movie, and I own a digital copy of it!
( <- Still needs and wants to see the other Studio Ghibli movies.)
The Grey Wolverine

My brother did that too, however his has long since been gone.

Also, when did you live in Halifax Beagle?
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

My GBA toughed it out like a war veteran. I couldn't bring myself to trade it in at GameStop when they were still taking the system.

I lived in Halifax when I was very young- so young I don't even remember it. We moved to Halifax when we left Florida, so I was two and lived there for two years or so. We moved to Worcester for about three years and then moved to Webster for a year. (That's the simplified version of the story.)

But back to video games; I finally own a GameCube! Now if I could just get my act together and make an effort to buy some games from the local game stores. Suggestions anyone?
The Grey Wolverine

Beagle! Move back here! It will be fun, and we can hang out with beagles together!
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Super Smash Bros. Melee, Super Mario Sunshine, Mario Kart: Double Dash, and if you've got people to play with (like actually come over your house), Mario Party 4 and/or 5 are pretty awesome too.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Sunshine, Melee and Double Dash!! are musts. Luigi's Mansion is a classic but it's rather short. Pikmin is also a good one. I, personally, loved Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, but that's not nearly as much of a "must" as Melee and Sunshine.
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Oooooo. Yes. Pikmin too.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

@Grey- Nuuuuu I hate it there now. I'm no longer desensitized to Yankee culture and frigid weather.

The Mario and Pokemon games are definitely givens. I refuse to buy Pikmin though. Any suggestions that aren't obviously Nintendo?
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

As far as GameCube goes, I definitely recommend The Resident Evil series if you like horror games. Especially Resident Evil 1 and 4. =3

the sonic and Megaman collections are my personal favourites. Digimon Rumble Arena was nice,too. Luigi's Mansion was short, but well worth it i find. Fun to show friends too :D
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

GameCobra wrote:As far as GameCube goes, I definitely recommend The Resident Evil series if you like horror games. Especially Resident Evil 1 and 4. =3

the sonic and Megaman collections are my personal favourites. Digimon Rumble Arena was nice,too. Luigi's Mansion was short, but well worth it i find. Fun to show friends too :D
Oh God, Resident Evil on the PS2 was bad enough. ._.
"Hey, I'mma go hide in this shed!" *Dead body hanging from noose in ceiling.*

I'll have to look into the sonic games and Megaman games. I had a sonic game for the PC as a kid and it was just the best thing.

Also, ermahgerd I love Digimon. :V