Chat Thread 39: A Heartwarming Children's Movie

Putting dead threads to bed, Jed

Moderator: ArcWolf

JeffCvt

Re: Chat Thread 39: A Heartwarming Children's Movie

Post by JeffCvt »

I'm so bad with spelling that I've learned how to do Google searches to try and find the word I'm looking for.

Why must English be so hard?
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Duster

Post by Duster »

JeffCvt wrote:Why must English be so hard?
Because everything else is too easy!
Extraordinary things happen to Extraordinary people!
also . . .
I'm the Best in the West!
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

JeffCvt wrote:I'm so bad with spelling that I've learned how to do Google searches to try and find the word I'm looking for.

Because a bunch of French-speaking vikings invaded England and didn't want to learn the local language so they made up a monstrous fusion of both. Blame William of Normandy for that one.

@ Nyaliva and Beagle- Thanks for the support and the kind words.

@ Beagle again - Do say it like that, it makes me feel old! ;)
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:
JeffCvt wrote:I'm so bad with spelling that I've learned how to do Google searches to try and find the word I'm looking for.

Because a bunch of French-speaking vikings invaded England and didn't want to learn the local language so they made up a monstrous fusion of both. Blame William of Normandy for that one.

*squees* The Battle of Hastings! I wrote about the evolution of the English language for my Western Civilization class this week.

And you're welcome!
Let me tell you about Homestuck.
Duster

Post by Duster »

Beagle wrote:
Radio Blue Heart wrote:

*squees* The Battle of Hastings! I wrote about the evolution of the English language for my Western Civilization class this week.

And you're welcome!
If y'all want to get technical the english language ( at least before the colonialism era ) Was at it's core germanic with few hints of gaelic here and there (possibly some latin though thats debatable).

Then England saw the era of vikings raiders and incidentally adopted some elements of the norse language.

Finally after a few centuries William "the conqueror" invades England and decisively claims the throne for his own, thus ensuring his old french blended with the already confusing "old english" language to more or less get what we speak today.

Go on and correct me! (i know you want to)
Last edited by Duster on Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
also . . .

Post by 0404 »

-edit nevermind it's too late.
Last edited by 0404 on Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Radio Blue Heart

Duster wrote:.

Now that you mention it, there really isn't a Gaelic influence on English. The Anglo-Saxons tended to wipe out most traces of Celtic language and culture in areas that they moved into. Most of the Latin was loan words.
-Virgil
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Duster wrote: If y'all want to get technical the english language ( at least before the colonialism era ) Was at it's core germanic with few hints of gaelic here and there (possibly some latin though thats debatable).

Then England saw the era of vikings raiders and incidentally adopted some elements of the norse language.

Finally after a few centuries William "the conqueror" invades England and decisively claims the throne for his own, thus ensuring his old french blended with the already confusing "old english" language to more or less get what we speak today.

*Peers* Not sure how to regard that last line.

The invasion of England created Middle English indeed, and that evolved into Modern English as the time went on.

As Professor Elliot Engel calls it, English is Anglo-Saxon married to French. So you are correct in that respect.

@Radio- There are actually small traces of the Celtic language in English. But those roots are real, real old and faint.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Reading Scots just makes me feel alone in the world as an English speaker. If that's supposed to be the closest thing out there, I feel like such a weirdo.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
jopencjusz

Post by jopencjusz »

English hard? Try Polish for example, you'll change your mind :P
My account on DA (something happens since I'm back here :))

My youtube accoint (with failed attemps to at least pretend I can sing)

Student, basketball referee, activist in old basketball club and official member of this club
Nyaliva

Post by Nyaliva »

There are only a few things you need to remember about Celtic English and that is as follows:

Warning: possibly offensive language if you're not a little bit juvenile.

Mod Edit: Sorry, no, you're really not allowed to use profanity or evade the profanity filter, the rules are pretty clear on this.
Feel like you need a friend? I'm happy to talk anytime! :D

I'm on DeviantArt now!
Currently working on: "The Warriors" Book
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

jopencjusz wrote:
English hard? Try Polish for example, you'll change your mind :P
I hear English is the hardest language to learn, followed second by German.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

English is the fifth hardest language, I believe. The most difficult are Arabic, Chinese, and Japanese, I think. It also depends on the speaker's native language. The romance languages, like Spanish, French, and Italian are easy to learn for native English speakers.
Duster

Post by Duster »

Beagle wrote:English is the fifth hardest language, I believe. The most difficult are Arabic, Chinese, and Japanese.
I blame the complex caligraphy of these languages. Even if one of us learned how to speak one of these languages it'd be an uphill battle trying to learn how to write them!
p.s. The romance languages are often times too easy for their own good (except French, french is HARD).
also . . .
jopencjusz

Post by jopencjusz »

I think that difference is your native language. For example, native English speaker, will have problems to learn Polish. I know some people who were born in USA, moved to Poland and stay here. Only one of them learn Polish on really good level. My English is far from being good, but it's enough to communicate fluently, even with native English speakers.
My account on DA (something happens since I'm back here :))

My youtube accoint (with failed attemps to at least pretend I can sing)

Student, basketball referee, activist in old basketball club and official member of this club
Radio Blue Heart

The writing systems have a lot to do with it. There are about 40,000 characters in the Chines language because it is pictographic. And Chinese is a tonal language. The same word can have different meanings depending on what tone it is spoken in.

Arabic has no written vowels, only vowel markers. A reader has to look at the word and the context it is in to know vowels it has. Hebrew and Phoenician are the same way.

Russian is easy to learn because the Cyrillic alphabet has no diphthongs but a letter for every sound. The Serbs use the Cyrillic and Latin alphabets for their language. I guess given their geographic location, close to Slavic peoples in the east that use Cyrillic like the Russians, Ukrainians and Bulgarians, and Slavic Peoples in the west that use the Latin alphabet like the Pols and the Czechs, they can communicate and learn each other's languages with greater ease.

One of the problems with learning English is it's French influence. The silent E is the bane of most students' existence. Of course I have heard that some people wanted to revise the English language and make it more Germanic in it's spelling. For example, instead of "fare" it would be "faer", or instead of "site" it would be "seit". Or some times the "E" would be eliminated completely so instead of "pole" it would be "pol".

German is a tough language to learn. I spent two semesters trying to learn it. After, I realized I should have learned Spanish instead.
-Virgil
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I would agree with that change. One of the more frustrating things about English is that you can't assume you know how a word is pronounced by its spelling. It was really refreshing in Spanish class how you could actually say words you hadn't seen before with confidence.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

In My limited experience
Russian is incredibly difficult to learn (really anything that requires you learn a new alphabet as well as a language is going to be difficult) and German is pretty easy to pick up. These levels of difficult are of course relative to my position as a native English speaker.

I need to learn another language, if nothing else it'll allow me to remain in my naturally vulgar mode of speech around children.
I think in Non-sequiturs

"I told you not to put metal in the science oven! What'd you do that for?"

Trash boiz

Post by 0404 »

my english is firtisish and? secondish language, I don't know, it's bad anyway, I hate being "ish" type.
Radio Blue Heart wrote: Russian is easy to learn because the Cyrillic alphabet has no diphthongs but a letter for every sound. The Serbs use the Cyrillic and Latin alphabets for their language. I guess given their geographic location, close to Slavic peoples in the east that use Cyrillic like the Russians, Ukrainians and Bulgarians, and Slavic Peoples in the west that use the Latin alphabet like the Pols and the Czechs, they can communicate and learn each other's languages with greater ease.
disregarding to their alphabet system, is Russian easy language to communicate and speak as well?
Radio Blue Heart

texascat018 wrote:my english is firtisish and? secondish language, I don't know, it's bad anyway, I hate being "ish" type.
Radio Blue Heart wrote: Russian is easy to learn because the Cyrillic alphabet has no diphthongs but a letter for every sound. The Serbs use the Cyrillic and Latin alphabets for their language. I guess given their geographic location, close to Slavic peoples in the east that use Cyrillic like the Russians, Ukrainians and Bulgarians, and Slavic Peoples in the west that use the Latin alphabet like the Pols and the Czechs, they can communicate and learn each other's languages with greater ease.
disregarding to their alphabet system, is Russian easy language to communicate and speak as well?
Yes. My friend Jonathan speaks Russian. He says that it is much simpler than English. You can communicate more information with fewer words. You just have to get past the Cyrillic alphabet.

A lot of countries in central Asia have it as a second language for inter-ethnic communication. And, some languages, like Mongolian, adopted the Cyrillic alphabet over their original Chinese based scripts.
-Virgil
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Having so much trouble going to sleep, but then again - i'm on the PC too much. Maybe i should cut down on that... D:
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Duster

Post by Duster »

GameCobra wrote:Having so much trouble going to sleep, but then again - i'm on the PC too much. Maybe i should cut down on that... D:
I'd try reading a book. That usually gets me sleepy in a matter of minutes. Or you could impose a strict online/offline curfew so that your not glued to the screen past midnight.
How late have you been staying up till?
also . . .
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I second the idea of forcing yourself to shut the computer off at a certain hour.

Post by 0404 »

even if you turn off your computer at certain hour, there is cell phone. it keeps me away from sleeping early. :( screens every where! ahhh
Karl

Post by Karl »

In modern times, humanity got really absorbed by computers, especially by internet which gives us worldwide access at home.
Imagine what would happen if suddenly internet got switched off on entire planet. It would be a pure disaster.
GameCobra wrote:Having so much trouble going to sleep, but then again - i'm on the PC too much. Maybe i should cut down on that... D:
Just like Sleet said earlier, you should make a plan for a shedule when you sit on computer and for how long. It might be a step to help you free yourself from this grasp. But to make it work, you must want it and be sure in its realization.
I'm a bookworm!
sonic id furreh!!!

Post by sonic id furreh!!! »

Beagle wrote:These math jokes are revelant to my interests.

HI SONIC! I miss you. :(
jopencjusz wrote:Sonic! Hey, what's up? It's quite long time since I saw you here last time ;)
aaaauuuggghhh sorry ai've been gone ;-;
Radio Blue Heart

Just set a bed time and try to stick to it and you can train your body to a schedule.

The only flaw to the book idea is that you might read something incredibly interesting or distressing. But it is best to read anything because it exercises your brain.

I made the mistake of reading H.P. Lovecraft's "The Lurking Fear" before bed. It freaked me out and made me paranoid. Every little sound put me on edge.

Also try doing something that will tire you out like going on a walk or some other light exercise.
-Virgil
The Grey Wolverine

Post by The Grey Wolverine »

sonic id furreh!!! wrote:aaaauuuggghhh sorry ai've been gone ;-;
Sonic, whats been up as of late!

So, guys, Ive decided to try out for my school's next play, because I can be good fun.
Please click this link and support me on FA. http://www.furaffinity.net/user/greywolverene/
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Sleet wrote:I second the idea of forcing yourself to shut the computer off at a certain hour.
That time would be 10 PM for me. On a school night, anyway. Browsing the forums and reading memebase or fanfiction on my iPod Touch helps me to fall asleep at night, though.

@Grey- Its that time of the year. Time to join stage crew for me. :V

Yeah, really sonic, whatcha been up to? What grade are you in this year? 11th, I think?

Post by 0404 »

it's "that" time of the year! now I get to mess around with sound and lighting boards. we sound and light maintenance guys don't get as much credit as actors. :cry:
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

texascat018 wrote:it's "that" time of the year! now I get to mess around with sound and lighting boards. we sound and light maintenance guys don't get as much credit as actors. :cry:
We never do, texascat. We never do. At least at our school, the names of our stage crew members are on the t-shirts for the musical.
sonic id furreh!!!

Post by sonic id furreh!!! »

The Grey Wolverine wrote:
sonic id furreh!!! wrote:aaaauuuggghhh sorry ai've been gone ;-;
Sonic, whats been up as of late!
not much just school stuff... me and a friend of mine are building and instrument
Beagle wrote:Yeah, really sonic, whatcha been up to? What grade are you in this year? 11th, I think?
I'm in tenth grade :P
also my mum's making me take piano lessons again

Post by 0404 »

you guys get T shirts we don't. we have to throw our T shirts out because we work in really hot sound control room and T shirts get stained.

Strike! Strike! Strike!
we deserve more credit! I am credit to the team!
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

sonic id furreh!!! wrote:I'm in tenth grade :P
also my mum's making me take piano lessons again
That would only be like the fifth time I've guessed wrong. XD

Why is she doing that?
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Piano lessons are awesome! You should try to enjoy them and focus. :3
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

I suggest accordion lessons o u o
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

The accordion is far cooler than its reputation.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

I agree, Weird Al is the coolest.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
KalloonWhite

Post by KalloonWhite »

What about the kazoo!? The kazoo never gets any recognition!
marmalade & sugar song, peanuts & bitter step, It's sweet and bitter and leaves me feeling faint
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

To my knowledge the kazoo has never been used for anything cool. :P

Even aside from Weird Al's ironic camp, the accordion is used for legitimately cool purposes. Accordion solos in jazz or tango can be great.