Reading Thread/Discussion

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

SirSlappy

Re: Reading Thread/Discussion

Post by SirSlappy »

Read Perfume: the story of a murderer recently. It's one of the few books for english class that I'd read in my spare time.
[insert witty comment here]
You can PM me if you feel like it.
Nyaliva

Post by Nyaliva »

Wow, I wish my school had've set books like that for English. We didn't get anything that wasn't a Bildungsroman (coming of age story) until grade 12. There was maybe one of them that was actually any good and one was just disturbing...Then grade 12 we got "Of Mice and Men", "Macbeth" and then three books of our choice from the Canon. That was one of my favourite years of English.
Feel like you need a friend? I'm happy to talk anytime! :D

I'm on DeviantArt now!
Currently working on: "The Warriors" Book
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

I have heard of that book but I have not read it yet. I really want to!

When I was in high school they made us read "Atlas Shrugged". It is the single worst book I have ever read and it gave me a burning hatred for Ayn Rand and everything that she stands for! Uh!

But they did let us read "The Odyssey" by Homer. I love that book!
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

I read though the entire Kane Chronicles Trilogy which I found to be a fantastic read. I've also got Mark of Athena sitting on my entertainment center, but I'm holding off on reading that.
Zukio

Post by Zukio »

Currently I am reading the Chronicles of Amber. It is a pretty interesting series, and oddly there is a role playing game based off it.
I like Pie!!!
Go ahead and send me a message, maybe we could talk about pie!
GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!!
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:I have heard of that book but I have not read it yet. I really want to!

When I was in high school they made us read "Atlas Shrugged". It is the single worst book I have ever read and it gave me a burning hatred for Ayn Rand and everything that she stands for! Uh!

I went through an Objectivist phase, but that's neither here nor there. What I can tell you is that Rand's The Fountainhead is NOT the worst book I've ever read. Actually had a somewhat engaging story of one man's struggle for artistic integrity against a tradition-worshiping establishment, when it wasn't getting bogged down by philosophical tracts straight at the reader.
Nyaliva

Post by Nyaliva »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:I have heard of that book but I have not read it yet. I really want to!
Which one specifically?
Was Rick's/Peanut's analysis accurate?
Man, what is with all of these cool schools setting interesting books for English? I've got "The Odyssey" somewhere in my bookshelf but I have yet to read it.

I'm on DeviantArt now!
Radio Blue Heart

Nyaliva wrote:
Which one specifically?
Was Rick's/Peanut's analysis accurate?
Man, what is with all of these cool schools setting interesting books for English? I've got "The Odyssey" somewhere in my bookshelf but I have yet to read it.
"Perfume". I have heard that it is good.

Rick/Peanut's comic is makes the book seem far more complex than it actually is. The only thing I could add is that reading that book is only slightly more pleasant than pouring lemon juice into an open wound. Not that it does not have its place in the world. There is a short leg on my couch and "Atlas Shrugged" is the perfect size to prop it up.

"The Odyssey" is a great book! Other than being an important early example of Western literature, it is a good adventure story. It gave me a greater appreciation for Ancient Greek culture and history. After that I read "The Iliad" and "The Aeneid" for fun.
-Virgil
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

They made you read that doorstopper? That's just sad. I'm so sorry. :(
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Radio Blue Heart

Sleet wrote:

They made you read that doorstopper? That's just sad. I'm so sorry. :(
It was just one of the many depressing moments in my life. What made it worse was the teacher was a fanatic freak over this book. I would ask out right questions and she would tell me to shut up. Basically she said "Its Ayn Rand! Its great! You are not! Don't question it!"
-Virgil
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

I finished 1984 a few days ago and started Frankenstein. Looks like I'll reach my goal of finishing both of them over break.

1984 is one of the best books I've ever read. It's right up there with Brave New WOrld and A Clockwork Orange as far as dystopian novels go. I went into it with really high expectations and it definitely lived up to them.
I think in Non-sequiturs

"I told you not to put metal in the science oven! What'd you do that for?"

Trash boiz
Radio Blue Heart

I just picked up a very amusing book. I first found it at the library but I had to get a copy of my own. Luckily it was dirt cheap online. Just $4.25 with shipping. It is called "World's Weirdest Comic Books". That is actually the subtitle, the full title contains a humorously censored profanity. It has articles about incredibly strange, offensive or shocking comics that are funny for all the wrong reasons.

There is one furry comic referenced.
I finished 1984 a few days ago and started Frankenstein. Looks like I'll reach my goal of finishing both of them over break.

1984 is one of the best books I've ever read. It's right up there with Brave New WOrld and A Clockwork Orange as far as dystopian novels go. I went into it with really high expectations and it definitely lived up to them.
Good for you, Seth! Frankenstein is an excellent novel. Take note that not all the parts used to create the monster are not human, but animal. And, Baron Frankenstein studied alchemy as well as medicine and galvanization. The creature is the beginning of a new species and not just a collection of body parts.
-Virgil
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Currently reading Wearing the Cape right now, after getting it for Christmas. First superhero novel I've ever read, and pretty good so far.
Radio Blue Heart

I came back with my treasures from Barnes and Noble. It did not go as far as I would have liked but I got "The Book of Cthulhu" edited by Ross E. Lockhart, it's an anthology of Cthulhu mythos short stories. "The Last Unicorn" by Peter S. Beagle, can't believe I don't already own a copy! And, finally a Godzilla graphic novel. I had to make some tough choices, but the others I can get for cheaper online. They had a really nice hardcover of a new translation of "Meditations" by Marcus Aurelius, the Egyptian Book of the Dead, and a book on politics.

Over all a good haul. I read "A Colder War" by Charles Stross. Its a Cold War themed story with both sides using Lovecraftian creatures and concepts as weapons.
-Virgil
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:I came back with my treasures from Barnes and Noble. It did not go as far as I would have liked but I got "The Book of Cthulhu" edited by Ross E. Lockhart, it's an anthology of Cthulhu mythos short stories. "The Last Unicorn" by Peter S. Beagle, can't believe I don't already own a copy! And, finally a Godzilla graphic novel. I had to make some tough choices, but the others I can get for cheaper online. They had a really nice hardcover of a new translation of "Meditations" by Marcus Aurelius, the Egyptian Book of the Dead, and a book on politics.

Over all a good haul. I read "A Colder War" by Charles Stross. Its a Cold War themed story with both sides using Lovecraftian creatures and concepts as weapons.
My brother got a new edition copy of The Last Unicorn at a local convention this past summer. It was signed by the author and everything! :D I read it, it was really good.
Radio Blue Heart

Penwrite wrote:
Radio Blue Heart wrote:I came back with my treasures from Barnes and Noble. It did not go as far as I would have liked but I got "The Book of Cthulhu" edited by Ross E. Lockhart, it's an anthology of Cthulhu mythos short stories. "The Last Unicorn" by Peter S. Beagle, can't believe I don't already own a copy! And, finally a Godzilla graphic novel. I had to make some tough choices, but the others I can get for cheaper online. They had a really nice hardcover of a new translation of "Meditations" by Marcus Aurelius, the Egyptian Book of the Dead, and a book on politics.

My brother got a new edition copy of The Last Unicorn at a local convention this past summer. It was signed by the author and everything! :D I read it, it was really good.
That's cool! Did he actually meet Mr. Beagle? Or was it signed for someone else who later sold it.

I have two books autographed by the author. "Return of the Living Dead" by John Russo and "Hour of the Beast" by C. Michael Forsyth. I met them both at the same convention.
-Virgil
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

He actually met the author. :3
Nyaliva

Post by Nyaliva »

I think the only signed book I have is my Bittersweet Candy Bowl Vol. 1 book. I even got a sketch of Mike and Lucy in the front cover. Then again, I mostly read books written by people who are dead, so it'd be a little hard to get signatures.

I'm on DeviantArt now!
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I have Housepets! Hope They Don't Get Eaten (maybe you've heard of it) and two religious books by Gene Robinson signed and that's about it.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Nyaliva

Post by Nyaliva »

Well, I can add another signed book to my list: I got my College Catastrophe book in the mail today and was pleasantly surprised to find the author had signed it "For Andrew! Jan" and sketched the head of his fursona (and main character) in the cover! :D Certainly didn't expect that!

I'm on DeviantArt now!
Radio Blue Heart

I found a Godzilla book today! It is a junior fiction, light novel called "Godzilla versus the Space Monster" (I guess I won't spoil it by saying that the space monster is Ghidorah). It was a quick read and even though I am not the target audience, I rather enjoyed it! It is part of a series of junior fiction novels. I have two of them and I think I might try to track down the others just for the fun of it.
-Virgil
Nyaliva

Post by Nyaliva »

I just finished reading Edgar Allen Poe's "The Pit and the Pendulum and Other Stories" which basically had his entire work of short stories. If you're into his style of subject matter (and the old style of vocabulary he uses) then they are amazing. Almost every story ends with a brilliant twist so you're left in awe. In two of them, he spends several pages simply describing in absolute depth the concept of analysis. I'd give a review of every story if I could, while the main character of each is usually mortally or mentally ill, every story is completely unique. And it goes without saying that his poetry is fantastic.

Now onto "War of the Worlds"!

I'm on DeviantArt now!
FritzyBeat

Post by FritzyBeat »

I can't believe I didn't see this thread before!
I like to read A LOT, even besides comics.

Fo example, some of my favourite books/series are:

The Chronicles of Narnia (all seven books)
The Lord of the Rings (All three books)
The Hobbit
Left Behind (all however many dozens of books there are (I'm gonna guess its over 50 if you include the "Left Behind: The Kids" series as well.))
and of course
Autumn Rain (a book being written by a friend)

I have a wide variety of tastes, so there are a lot of other books besides these ones I've read before =)
Fino is coming, and he's bringing moon pizza.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I've been reading Redwall. Its combination of family appropriateness and semi-innocent cuteness and lack of restraint with violence is rather charming. It's cute without babying the reader too much.
Radio Blue Heart

I am reading a book about the Sumerian civilization and when I am done I am going to start H.P. Lovecraft's "At the Mountains of Madness".
-Virgil
UnChance

Post by UnChance »

I've been hearing Neil Gaiman's name a lot recently. What work of his should I read?

On a side note, I started reading Infinite Jest. I'm not sure if I'm excited or terrified that it's over 1000 pages.
People are afraid to merge on freeways in Los Angeles.
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

I've only read the first volume of sandman but it was reallly good. I'd suggest starting there.
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
Radio Blue Heart

UnChance wrote:I've been hearing Neil Gaiman's name a lot recently. What work of his should I read?

On a side note, I started reading Infinite Jest. I'm not sure if I'm excited or terrified that it's over 1000 pages.
Try his books "American Gods" and it's sequel "Anansi Boys". They are excellent!
-Virgil
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

I've recently started Beyond good and evil by Nietzsche. It's a lot more readable than other philisophical texts I've read. THe man certainly had a flair for the poetic.
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

So I finished Redwall, and I think I'm really going to like this series. I like the animals-as-fantasy races thing a lot. One complaint, however, is foxes. The book is from the perspective of mice, so badgers, cats, owls and snakes are all depicted as huge and dangerous. But if you read Redwall and have never heard of a fox before, you would have no reason to believe they were any bigger than rats. I'd rather not see them as the frail, tricky race they're depicted as. Some size consistency, please!
Argent

Post by Argent »

CaptainPea wrote:Okay, having finished Dorian Gray, I can put forth my total opinion, which is that it's a good idea that was poorly written.

There are quite a few intriguing ideas and characters at the heart of it, but they're so hard to see against the distracting glare of how badly paced and weirdly structured the whole thing is. I mean, the first six chapters could have easily been condensed, since the section- nay, the entire book- consists mostly of Lord Henry enjoying to the sound of his own voice. Once it starts to finally get interesting, what with Sibyl's suicide, Dorian's portrait aging, and the skip ahead in time, Wilde suddenly decides it's time to let loose his character's entire encyclopedic knowledge of pointless miscellany for an entire chapter.
I haven't read it, but it sounds exactly like the kind of book that The Princess Bride (the book) was parodying... particularly the "hat excision" in chapter three. Which is why I haven't read it... I've read enough "great novels" of that period that follow the same exact conventions that I don't think I could stand another one.

ONWARDS and ON TOPIC...

Currently reading the Alex Verus series by Benedict Jacka, right after finishing off the Dresden Files and the Jonathan Shade novels. Recently read the whole Monster Hunter series. I think I'm going through an Urban Detective Sorcery phase. Any suggestions? I've already read all the Lord Darcy novels, and tried to get into some of the older steampunk (eg, Jeter's stuff) and couldn't really get into it, though I found The Affinity Bridge by George Mann enjoyable and may pick up more of that series for all it's been critically panned.

Oh, and of course I've polished off all the Laundry novels.

Ideal would be a good urban sorcery detective novel set in the Mouse World but written for adults.

NINJA EDITS:
Radio Blue Heart wrote:Try his books "American Gods" and it's sequel "Anansi Boys". They are excellent!
Absolutely. Also Neverwhere and the collaboration Good Omens.
Last edited by Argent on Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

The first Neil Gaiman book I ever read was Stardust, though the first book that made me sit up and fully "get" that he was a great writer was American Gods.

I also highly recommend his Sandman series. Sure they're technically comic books, but there's a strong literary quality to them, and the writing is as strong as any of his novels.
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

Finished all of the Jack Ryan storyline of Tom Clancy novels. That was a lot of books to read.

Now i'm reading W.E.B. Griffin's stuff.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

The Jack Ryan novels by Clancy are among my faves. Definitely not short reads, but well worth the effort.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Radio Blue Heart

Just got a book in the mail about the life and films of director Ruggero Deodato. THe infamous director of "Cannibal Holocaust" and many other of my favorite films.
-Virgil
Argent

Post by Argent »

Been reading Kim Harrison's "Hollows" series. I nearly stopped after the first one where she called a mink a "rodent". Huff huff. And had it eating carrots? Ye gods and their little pet demons!
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Last weekend I visited a Barnes & Noble bookstore for the first time since before Christmas! :D While there, I purchased for the pleasing sum of $20 the complete works of William Shakespeare!

*does a little dance of joy*

I think I'm going to be busy for a long while, hah.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I saw those books they had. Those are really neat. :3

I don't actually read a ton, but I always love the atmosphere of going into a book store. It just makes me happy for whatever reason. I wish our Borders didn't close, 'cause I have really good memories of that place.
lasthunter

Post by lasthunter »

sigh...alas i don't have a bookstore near my home :cry:
i am the one who shall fight the mods, i am the one who shall find the loop holes and hidden ways, i am the one who shall lead with the flag, i am part of the rebellion, and i am its weapon.
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

lasthunter wrote:sigh...alas i don't have a bookstore near my home :cry:
Are there any libraries? Those are good too.