The Three Hermanos ( Bino, Fido and Joey)

Discuss the comic here
Duster

The Three Hermanos ( Bino, Fido and Joey)

Post by Duster »

So whilst reading the Housepets Christmas strip "The Unbearable Lightness of Being A Dog" another reader and I wondered how come we've never seen Fido, Bino and Joey really interacting together in the same place? Of course there has been times which they have been around one another but seldom any kind of Family style interaction. I believe the only time we have come remotely close to it was during the Money Sharks arc early on in the comic. Also like to point out that there has not been any dialogue between Fido and Joey I believe. Just throwing out an idea i've seen floating around on the Housepets! forums. Maybe one of these days Rick may have some time to touch this subject or possibly make a small story arc out of the brothers hanging out together. Any way I think it would be an interesting way to connect the dots so to speak, between the varying storyarcs.

So what do Y'all think?
Extraordinary things happen to Extraordinary people!
also . . .
I'm the Best in the West!
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Re: The Three Hermanos ( Bino, Fido and Joey)

Post by Foxstar »

I believe the reason behind not seeing more of them together is domesticated animals don't have the same kind of family bonds that humans have. While I'm sure they know they are brothers, that does not always means that they will interact with each other like brothers, with all three of them having different owners. But all three of them have been at the same place and interacted (though not all at the same time)
valerio

Post by valerio »

we often saw Fido and Bino interacting in a brotherly way, when it came to the club's activities (the easter egg hunt, or when King tried to get his watch and sent Sasha to the club to distract Bino)
I don't know if it counts, but we also saw Fido and Joey at the same table in the 'mandatory reference' one-shot... Though one could say that Joey runs his own D&D/animefan club and Bino does not really wishes to interact with his 'weird' brother... In fact, Bino is displaying a certain amount of affection for not picking on Joey, considering that the younger brother loves to wear a cat skin and has a mouse for a girlfriend (don't ask!)
Duster

Post by Duster »

You know I thought the same thing but I feel as though there could be a side of there relationship that we're not aware of. Plus they've lived in such close proximity and hang out at the Good Ol'Dogs Club so there must be some interaction between them all. Plus even though they are dogs they're brothers too, there has gotta be something going on behind the scenes. I still think that there could be some good story potential there. Idk anyone else wanna weigh in?
also . . .
valerio

Post by valerio »

Well, the next episode of my ficcie concerns just that aspect, but of course I am sure that Rick will explore the side you mentioned as well.
Duster

Post by Duster »

I sure hope so! They may not be apart of the "Main Character" spread sheet but I believe they are due for a reunion of sorts.
also . . .
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

I am sure that they interact and have a relationship, it has just not been part of the plan or had any relevance. They are litter mates, yes, but that means little for the most part. From a young age I am sure most dogs and cats realize they will not have much contact with family, and even when they live in close proximity, the family dynamic does not exist much. We are not talking about humans here. Their system is more hierarchical than anything...
My characters
Everybody has a story to tell. What's yours?
jopencjusz

Post by jopencjusz »

Yeah, but relations between Fox and Bailey shows us something a little different. We didn't see much about their relationships, but if they are aware of being cousins and in my opinion, their relationships are rather on good level, why brothers should have worse in general?

And remember it's comic, not everything is same as in real world, some things are changed, because in Housepets! pets are doing lot of "human" things.
My account on DA (something happens since I'm back here :))

My youtube accoint (with failed attemps to at least pretend I can sing)

Student, basketball referee, activist in old basketball club and official member of this club
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

jopencjusz wrote:Yeah, but relations between Fox and Bailey shows us something a little different. We didn't see much about their relationships, but if they are aware of being cousins and in my opinion, their relationships are rather on good level, why brothers should have worse in general?

And remember it's comic, not everything is same as in real world, some things are changed, because in Housepets! pets are doing lot of "human" things.

Indeed, but has it been said that Fox and Bailey are biological cousins, or were they cousins becaue she was the pet of the relatives at the Kansas farm? Non blood relations between pets seem to be more important than any blood relation in this universe...
My characters
Everybody has a story to tell. What's yours?
jopencjusz

Post by jopencjusz »

Yeah, you've got point here, we don't know exactly this thing. And yeah, it looks like non-blood relations have stronger bonds.
My account on DA (something happens since I'm back here :))

My youtube accoint (with failed attemps to at least pretend I can sing)

Student, basketball referee, activist in old basketball club and official member of this club
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Dogs seem to just roll with the punches when it comes to their living arrangements, if Bailey is any indicator.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Macsen

Post by Macsen »

You know, I don't recall Joey ever interacting his brothers. *looks it up using the comic's tagging* He's only been seen twice in GoDC's groupings, not counting the time he tried to save King's watch and got promptly thrown out on his ear. Bino used him once to try to win the ferrets' prize, and it didn't work. He's never interacted with Fido at all.
Duster

Post by Duster »

From reading the Forum a little and doing some digging I might have figured out why the trio are the way they are.

Correct me if i'm wrong but Rick said on an interview with the villains corner that Bino was originally inspired by his early stories and Fido was basically adopted from another source and paired with Bino to be Brothers.

And I think Joey was added on as their brother when Rick started composing his first few comics.

I still can't quite connect the dots but it is rather interesting finding out the origins behind these three characters.

Rick should totally write a timeline or a making of the Housepets! documentary, that would be neat!
also . . .
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I know Bino was a character Rick made when he was younger, though I'm not sure how similar he was to the current Bino?
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Karl

Post by Karl »

I think he was more Garfield like back then, if I remember correctly.
I'm a bookworm!