If you are a furry, have you been to a convention?

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Senorpie7

If you are a furry, have you been to a convention?

Post by Senorpie7 »

It has come to my attention that a blinding number of the folks browsing these threads are of the fuzzy side!
Really this thread is just to ask any of the fuzzies/non-fuzzies (xP hehe) if they have been to any furry conventions at all?
Even if you aren't a furry or have not been to a convention or even both, all I intend this thread to be is a relaxed place to chat about suits and even the convention shinanigans!
*smiles and wags a little*
A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.~ Jeramy Clarkson, Top gear <3
Alastair

Re: If you are a furry, have you been to a convention?

Post by Alastair »

Well, I've never been to a con before but I'm pretty sure I'd like to go! ^^
The closest one I'm to would probably be HoosFur in Indianapolis, IN. I don't know when the next con there is however. If they had a convention in Louisville, KY that would be better.
Life is Music, and Music is Life
------------------
My songs: http://www.soundcloud.com/onevirtue

Check out my FA page too!
Senorpie7

Post by Senorpie7 »

Alastair wrote:Well, I've never been to a con before but I'm pretty sure I'd like to go! ^^
The closest one I'm to would probably be HoosFur in Indianapolis, IN. I don't know when the next con there is however. If they had a convention in Louisville, KY that would be better.
I don't even know about that one :3
Personally, going to one would be pretty fun for me because its just fun and games ^^
*smiles* I love that kind of stuff :b
A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.~ Jeramy Clarkson, Top gear <3

Post by 0404 »

I really wanna go but I think I wouldn't worth cost of flight, hotel, food, etc. I'm sure it's gonna be heck of a lot of fun but the money is the problem...
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I went to Midwest FurFest 2011. I'm actually wearing the shirt right now! It was a ton of fun and the stars aligned for it to be a fairly cheap trip for me all around. I want to go to more conventions but we'll have to see.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
DingoVolf
Location: It was unwise to wake the 3-eyed cat, but we did it anyways, and now look at us. Whatever you do,

Post by DingoVolf »

They can be a hoot! Been to like... 10 or so? but only 1 or 2 of those as a regular attendee, the rest as a dealer assistant monkey for the wife. It amazes me, simply amazes me at how the suiting has come along since the first ones I was at. Used to be there'd be a handful of suiters bouncing around, sometimes getting together and acting silly, but now it's crazy - you have better-looking suits and HUNDREDS of them (depending on the size of the con of course)! Now they do fursuit games, parades, photo shoots.

There's actually a number of forum folks here looking at going to Rocket City Furmeet in Alabama (June 14-16th), and mister Rick G is actually going to be their guest of honor! Link to relevant thread:
https://www.housepetscomic.com/forums/v ... f=3&t=2231

And MFF was really neat, tho last one I made was in 2009 before they moved to apparently a much more awesome hotel.
Senorpie7

Post by Senorpie7 »

Sleet wrote:I went to Midwest FurFest 2011. I'm actually wearing the shirt right now! It was a ton of fun and the stars aligned for it to be a fairly cheap trip for me all around. I want to go to more conventions but we'll have to see.
You lucked out! That kind of thing is one of the biggest reasons people DON'T like going, or can't be able to go: Travel!
I am glad to hear you had a blast, furfest is a great one :3
Did you see anyone there you recognized in terms of characters? :3
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I actually ran into two friends from another forum.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Senorpie7

Post by Senorpie7 »

DingoVolf wrote:They can be a hoot! Been to like... 10 or so? but only 1 or 2 of those as a regular attendee, the rest as a dealer assistant monkey for the wife. It amazes me, simply amazes me at how the suiting has come along since the first ones I was at. Used to be there'd be a handful of suiters bouncing around, sometimes getting together and acting silly, but now it's crazy - you have better-looking suits and HUNDREDS of them (depending on the size of the con of course)! Now they do fursuit games, parades, photo shoots.

There's actually a number of forum folks here looking at going to Rocket City Furmeet in Alabama (June 14-16th), and mister Rick G is actually going to be their guest of honor! Link to relevant thread:
https://www.housepetscomic.com/forums/v ... f=3&t=2231

And MFF was really neat, tho last one I made was in 2009 before they moved to apparently a much more awesome hotel.
That's actually among one of the many things that I've been noticing trending throughout all of the conventions, if you look at the amount of people that are going to them every year the number keeps going up and up and up higher and higher every single time! The only thing that comes to my mind whenever I think of something like that is how people stay original with the designs of the characters, the first person that I remember having stuffed size for a realistic approach was flux:
http://en.wikifur.com/wiki/Kiro_Neem
But now if you look at a lot of the designs of the suits you'll see that more people are incorporating that kind of style/appearance! Pretty neat actually! :3
He's a great guy and before he actually got popular I got the chance to have a conversation with an over YouTube private messaging, he's fantastically grateful and a wonderful, caring person!
Karl

Post by Karl »

I'm not a furry. But I would go to one to just see how it looks like.
I'm a bookworm!
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

I don't intend on even THINKING about a furcon unless the boyfriend wants to go.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Tha Housefox wrote:I don't intend on even THINKING about a furcon unless the boyfriend wants to go.
They're still fun with at least one friend, yaknow!
Senorpie7

Post by Senorpie7 »

Tha Housefox wrote:I don't intend on even THINKING about a furcon unless the boyfriend wants to go.
You should get THE boyfriend a fursuit :3
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

There's a few close enough to me that I could get there with a car and a little advanced planning. But the idea of travelling to one alone kinda scares me. I have it on my to-do before leaving college list though.
Last edited by Seth on Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
I think in Non-sequiturs

"I told you not to put metal in the science oven! What'd you do that for?"

Trash boiz
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

Senorpie7 wrote:
Heck no. That's too expensive. >:V
Senorpie7

Post by Senorpie7 »

Tha Housefox wrote:
Senorpie7 wrote:
Heck no. That's too expensive. >:V
Oh lighten up~
If seeing the boyfriend in one of those means I have to help fund it, I can spare some laptop money to make that happen ;b
Hehe, I will take that offer only as serious as you do ;3
Seth wrote:There's a few close enough to me that I could get there with a car and a little advanced planning. But the idea of travelling to one alone kinda scares me. I have it on my to-do before elaing college list though.
I say try to make it happen as soon as you can, it's totally worth it :D
Like sleet said, if you can, grab some bud(s) and hit the road ^^
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

Why would you want to see him in one anyway? XP

They're just glorified mascots... X3
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

I have never been to one but my friends Hunter, Yvonne and Scape have been to FWA. I could ask them.
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
tychoaussie

Post by tychoaussie »

uhm, no and no!

...wherever I go the event turns into a mini-furry con of one fursuiter anyway... I'm quite frankly intimidated by the thought of bunches of critters running about... I'd lose myself in the shuffle. Besides, no one has been able to tell me the point of a con quite yet. If I go I want to learn something new about fursuiting that I can take home and use in my community activities.

Fun-loving by birth, Honorable through upbringing, Brave by necessity.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Tha Housefox wrote:They're just glorified mascots... X3
Huggable mascots! :D
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Senorpie7 wrote:
Seth wrote:There's a few close enough to me that I could get there with a car and a little advanced planning. But the idea of travelling to one alone kinda scares me. I have it on my to-do before elaing college list though.
I say try to make it happen as soon as you can, it's totally worth it :D
Like sleet said, if you can, grab some bud(s) and hit the road ^^
I wish. No furry friends that I know of and I'm not about to start asking around.
I think in Non-sequiturs

"I told you not to put metal in the science oven! What'd you do that for?"

Trash boiz
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

I went to two back in 2001, but haven't been past that. Time, money and lack of a car put a con way down my list. As well as a few other things.
Senorpie7

Post by Senorpie7 »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:I have never been to one but my friends Hunter, Yvonne and Scape have been to FWA. I could ask them.
Talk to them about it ^o^
I just want to head out to one because of how nice the majority of the community is! Suits or not, furs are furs :3
Sleet wrote:
Tha Housefox wrote:They're just glorified mascots... X3
Huggable mascots! :D
So soft! :3
I can't even tell why they appeal so well~ xP
*dreams about the "huggable" mascots! :3*
Foxstar wrote:I went to two back in 2001, but haven't been past that. Time, money and lack of a car put a con way down my list. As well as a few other things.
I know, it's the same thing for most every other person out there: Time and cash.
I learned that if you want to feel like days are longer, wake up around 6am, that does that trick for me!
But then again this is crippling hindsight, I never wake up early so when I learned this it was quite a revelation ;3
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I wasn't a fan of fursuiters until I actually was around one. So cute. And they're everywhere at conventions! :D
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

I don't see how some of them can do it, personally. Its so hot on them! When Scape built his suit, he even put little fans in the head to keep himself cool.
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
Senorpie7

Post by Senorpie7 »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:I don't see how some of them can do it, personally. Its so hot on them! When Scape built his suit, he even put little fans in the head to keep himself cool.
Yeah, I can't even believe how some of them do all of what they do with those suits, I really have a passion for the whole anthropomorphism deal, but it takes some real guts to get out there and bounce around in front of people you don't even know! I really respect that part :3
It's not even the mental stuff, it's the performances!
Example: Sardyoun- Crazy talented Asian(?! Sorry, blanking on the country he is from!) performer who does things I can't even do without a suit O:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2mCmC3F4TQ
Sure, he slips up at points, but that's just part of being real *Giggles a bit* ^-^
Punchy

Post by Punchy »

Senorpie7 wrote:Example: Sardyoun- Crazy talented Asian(?! Sorry, blanking on the country he is from!) performer who does things I can't even do without a suit O:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2mCmC3F4TQ
Sure, he slips up at points, but that's just part of being real *Giggles a bit* ^-^
Wow, all that while wearing a fursuit can't be easy. Guy's got talent.

I've never been to a con and I don't know of any near me, but I'd like to go if ever given the chance.
Panda Panda Panda
jopencjusz

Post by jopencjusz »

This guy really impressed me! It's not only talent, because lot of this things require lot of talent and practise to do without fursuit. Doing it with fursuit have to be so hard.
My account on DA (something happens since I'm back here :))

My youtube accoint (with failed attemps to at least pretend I can sing)

Student, basketball referee, activist in old basketball club and official member of this club
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I really want a fursuit once I have more money. I want to learn to dance in one.
tychoaussie

Post by tychoaussie »

Sleet wrote:I really want a fursuit once I have more money. I want to learn to dance in one.
I just want to learn how to dance. Then don the fursuit and dance: My dream is to do a two minute techno dance with martial arts jumps, spins, kicks and such. However my knees quit cooperating just as I reached blackbelt recommended in Tae kwon do.
Fun-loving by birth, Honorable through upbringing, Brave by necessity.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I'm perfectly limber and such. I just gotta be able to do it with all that weight on me.
yehoshua

Post by yehoshua »

I like how the question is made in an "if this than that" fashion, nobody cares if you have or haven't been to a convention if you're not a furry.
(just kidding you know :P)

I have been to a convention but it wasn't a furry one :(
Sent from my conifer.