Do You Play Guitar?

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Leopard97

Re: Do You Play Guitar?

Post by Leopard97 »

I have a acustic Gutar my dad has a electric he says I can barrow it but the thing is he doesn't have a amp for it does anyone know where I can get a cheap amp at ?
If you have a 3DS pm me your fc and I'll give you mine.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

You could try eBay.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Onlythebassist

Post by Onlythebassist »

Just look everywhere until you can get the best deal - newspaper ads, eBay like Sleet said, music stores (online and retailers). Might need some idea of what you were looking to spend in order to give a clearer picture
thrasherblades

Post by thrasherblades »

Haro!

Time to resurrect this near-dead thread again with another guitar video that I uploaded recently.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmNguSvcDD8

Do lemme know what ya think ;)

Cheers
HP Universe's Furry Guitarist LEHUSKEH. I offer lessons exclusively on Skype. PM if interested ;)
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

thrasherblades wrote:Haro!

Time to resurrect this near-dead thread again with another guitar video that I uploaded recently.

Cheers

Good Lord man! That's some EPIC SOLOING! You're awesome! :D I wanna play like you when I grow up. Haha

I've been playing a lot lately, working up new songs and stuff. I post on SoundCloud now, and so far I only have two songs posted(even though I've wrote more, I'll be posting more soon) The link to my songs is in my sig.
Life is Music, and Music is Life
------------------
My songs: http://www.soundcloud.com/onevirtue

Check out my FA page too!
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Welp, better start practicing my guitar more.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Onlythebassist

Post by Onlythebassist »

thrasherblades wrote:Haro!

Cheers
That sweeping is as clean as Mr Steve Vai's in my opinion - very nice work :D
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Not as clean as Michael Angelo Batio's though. :P
thrasherblades

Post by thrasherblades »

Yeah MAB is too godly for me to replicate lulz. I'm more of a Rusty Cooley/Jeff Loomis kinda guy.
HP Universe's Furry Guitarist LEHUSKEH. I offer lessons exclusively on Skype. PM if interested ;)
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Technique is all he has, though. He's basically a robot, in both all the best and all the worst ways. His technique is flawless and incredibly fast, but he plays with absolutely no soul. I wouldn't call him "good," but his technique certainly is.
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

Sleet wrote:Technique is all he has, though. He's basically a robot, in both all the best and all the worst ways. His technique is flawless and incredibly fast, but he plays with absolutely no soul. I wouldn't call him "good," but his technique certainly is.
I agree with Sleet's thought. Music comes from the heart. Yes it sounds cheesy or whatever, but its true. You can be the best player ever, but if you just don't put any personality into your playing, then what's the point of playing at all.
------------------

Dissension

Post by Dissension »

I can attest to that. I was second-chair euphonium (of seven) in my high school's band. I never made all-region band individually, though. Every analysis of my playing commented that I was a fairly skilled technician but lacked soul. This seems to be... something of an overriding factor in my life. x3

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

Dissension wrote:I can attest to that. I was second-chair euphonium (of seven) in my high school's band. I never made all-region band individually, though. Every analysis of my playing commented that I was a fairly skilled technician but lacked soul. This seems to be... something of an overriding factor in my life. x3
Nah man, you got soul. :3
------------------

axelthefox

Post by axelthefox »

thrasherblades wrote:Yeah MAB is too godly for me to replicate lulz. I'm more of a Rusty Cooley/Jeff Loomis kinda guy.
Yeah,i have the DVD from Guitar World with MAB in it and he didn't slow down to demostrate what he was doing,compared to people like Andy Aledort.
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

I'm really needing to get a new amp. The Peavey that I have is a bit muddy. My cousin has a Roland 15 watt and it sounds better than my 25 watt Peavey. So i Iooked at Roland 20's and 40's and I can get a decent deal on the Cube 40 on eBay. From what I hear Roland makes a good product. And they make BOSS products and I have a BOSS MT-2 Metal Zone pedal that I absolutely love.
------------------

Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Foxyfluff wrote:
thrasherblades wrote:Yeah MAB is too godly for me to replicate lulz. I'm more of a Rusty Cooley/Jeff Loomis kinda guy.
Yeah,i have the DVD from Guitar World with MAB in it and he didn't slow down to demostrate what he was doing,compared to people like Andy Aledort.
Doesn't he teach at Harvard or something?
thrasherblades

Post by thrasherblades »

Foxyfluff wrote:
MAB also teaches on Doug Mark's Metal Method DVD. He does slow down in that one. I would say that MAB is a person you would wanna approach when you wanna work on technique, and people like Andy would be good if you wanna have feel and an enhanced sense of melody. Every musician has their strong points after all.
Sleet wrote:Doesn't he teach at Harvard or something?
I don't recall him teaching at Harvard, Berklee, Musician's Institute or any other music college. He does do lessons privately, both in person and skype.
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

These are my latest purchases for my guitar. I recommend both of these to any rock guitarist.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (144.22 KiB) Viewed 14021 times
------------------

thrasherblades

Post by thrasherblades »

Heh that's a pretty simple setup. Like they say: Less is more. But maybe you could use some delay and a phaser/flanger too.

I assume you're using the metalzone for heavier riffs and the mxr for lighter rock chops and blues rock perhaps? What about your lead? Do you have a booster for that?
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

thrasherblades wrote:Heh that's a pretty simple setup. Like they say: Less is more. But maybe you could use some delay and a phaser/flanger too.

I assume you're using the metalzone for heavier riffs and the mxr for lighter rock chops and blues rock perhaps? What about your lead? Do you have a booster for that?
Yes my setup is very simple but I actually prefer that. I've had ZOOM and Digitech pedals before, but I'd much rather just have a couple different effects than a bunch I would never use. The other effects that I would get is probably a flanger and BOSS noise reduction pedal if I got anything else at all.

Now I play a lot of metal/metal core, so I use the BOSS for those songs, and then when I step it down a bit I use my Dunlop MXR for classic rock or songs that require lower gain. I don't have any boosters or anything unfortunately. My amp really sucks so I don't use any overdrive off of it, and if I could, I would probably use my Dunlop to kick the gain up some more when I needed it for a lead part. Right now I'm a quite limited with my sound, mostly because of my amp.
------------------

thrasherblades

Post by thrasherblades »

Awesome bro. My current setup is just my ZOOM G3 Multi FX pedal. I play a variety of metal, especially thrash, progressive and some deathcore. Lovin' the Diesel and Mesa Boogie Rectifier sound models on it.

Thank God for multi fx too. I have the tendency to go Van Halen once in a while xD
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

thrasherblades wrote:Awesome bro. My current setup is just my ZOOM G3 Multi FX pedal. I play a variety of metal, especially thrash, progressive and some deathcore. Lovin' the Diesel and Mesa Boogie Rectifier sound models on it.

Thank God for multi fx too. I have the tendency to go Van Halen once in a while xD
Van Halen yeah! :D

I would love to have Mesa Boogie amp. Those things are killer. Just too expensive. :/ I think my next guitar purchase is going to be either a Line 6 Spider IV 30 watt amp, or a Roland Cube 40. The Roland's a little more expensive but the sound they have is crystal clear. Shoot, I'd trade my Peavey for a Cube 15. LoL
------------------

axelthefox

Post by axelthefox »

Anyone know the best way to connect a analog mixer to a Imac?
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

So, I'm going to try and do something I never thought I'd be trying to do.

Learn to play a guitar.

Now I'm not paying for lessons to learn it, I actually found a websight that seems to be really good.

Is there anyone willing to offer me some advice that may not come from an online source before I start?
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Start with an acoustic. Also don't settle for "good enough" with finger placement.
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

All I have is a cheap electric one my Dad got years ago.

Don't get me wrong, it's not a piece of junk. But what advantage does an acoustic one have as far as learning? I don't have the money right now to get one.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

For starters you don't need to buy an amp. Also it's easier to tell when your notes aren't ringing properly.
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

But we already have an amp too. And picks. And a tuner.

My dad took lessons when he was a kid. He bought all of this stuff a few years back but never really touched it. The guitar probably needs new strings, but other than that I have everything I need to start learning at least the basics.

Well, I should be heading down toward a music store tomorrow anyway. I wanted to stop in to buy some more picks and look into how much new strings would be, since I might end up breaking a few even if they don't need to be replaced. While I'm there I'll look into an acoustic guitar. I think they have used stuff, so I might be able to afford one.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

If you already have an electric guitar, I don't think it's a huge deal.
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

Well, I'm going to want one at some point anyway. I'll probably just look while I'm there.

Thanks for the advice Sleet. It's helpful to have someone to talk to, even if we haven't actually talked about that much.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

Would anyone be willing to look at a video and help me figure out what chords are being played in a song I really want to learn?

I'm just not experienced enough yet to really even get close by listening and I'd like a little help. I don't even know my basic chords well enough yet to just look at the fingers.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I'm not good enough at the guitar to be able to identify chords by how they're fingered, but you can always look up tabs (short for tablatures) for certain songs. There are tons on the internet.
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

I doubt it has one. It's by Andrew Stein (Better known as Mando Pony. I use his actual name because it isn't a MLP related song) and I don't think he's that super well known outside of the brony fandom. But I'll look. Thanks for the tip Sleet, it'll definitely help when I move on to other songs even if I can't find the one I'm looking for now.

I actually looked at the video of him preforming the song and took note of his finger positions. I have two chords I was able to identify so far, and two that I can't find on my chart of some 70+ guitar chords. I played them and they sound alright, I just don't know what they are. Or if I really am playing them right. It's hard to tell from the video.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

You could always email him. I'm sure he's not so famous that he just glosses over email from fans.
Onlythebassist

Post by Onlythebassist »

Chords are just a matter of experimenting - the basic ones such as C, D, G and Am should be those you should tackle first.

E -0-------E -2-------E -3--------E -0
B -1-------B -3-------B -0--------B -1
G -0-------G -2-------G -0-------G -2
D -2-------D -0-------D -0-------D -2
A -3-------A -X-------A -2-------A -0
E -X-------E -X-------E -3-------E -X

C----------D----------G---------Am

Key
Number = Fret number (from open string - 0)
X = Don't play this string

Ultimate Guitar.com is the best free online resource to help learn new chords, techniques and songs. But if you wanted a more in-depth view (eg. To be able to apply chords to music theory), I'd recommend buying a chord book from a music store like Guitar Center. Lots of chords with finger positioning as well; eventually with some practice you can form pre-memorized chords naturally thanks to muscle memory :D
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

How 'bout Em? :P

Or the So What chord? *giggles*
thrasherblades

Post by thrasherblades »

Hey there guys.

I recently took part in another guitar solo competition. This is my entry..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Zv01A-f ... nQ&index=1

Hope y'all enjoy :)

Cheers.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Stop making me feel inadequate! *giggles*
thrasherblades

Post by thrasherblades »

Here, fill out this guitar student form and we'll get started xD
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Drive to St. Louis and maybe we'll talk. :P