Moderator: ArcWolf

Do you consider yourself a furry?

No
25%
Yes
75%

Total votes: 348

DingoVolf
Location: It was unwise to wake the 3-eyed cat, but we did it anyways, and now look at us. Whatever you do,

Re: Are You A Furry?

Post by DingoVolf »

Sleet wrote:Hey, I brush and eat milkbones!
Why would you brush a milkbone?
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

cause its hair is messy, duh.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

DingoVolf wrote:
Sleet wrote:Hey, I brush and eat milkbones!
Why would you brush a milkbone?
Because Sleet is much to dignified to eat a milkbone that is not both tasty and aesthetically pleasing.
I think in Non-sequiturs

"I told you not to put metal in the science oven! What'd you do that for?"

Trash boiz
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I have standards.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

More like spoiled...
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
tychoaussie

Post by tychoaussie »

Hey, I've eaten Milkbone for real and I can honestly say it doesn't improve one's breath whatsoever!

Brushing one, well y'know, never thought about it, but I suppose it might put just the right aroma onto the brush for a good ol' fashioned hint of freshness & make toothpaste just that much more palatable.

Good idea, Sleet.

Fun-loving by birth, Honorable through upbringing, Brave by necessity.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

JeffCvt wrote:More like spoiled...
Hey! A fox needs to keep good hygiene. People will think I'm a dog!
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Punchy

Post by Punchy »

tychoaussie wrote:Hey, I've eaten Milkbone for real and I can honestly say it doesn't improve one's breath whatsoever!
They also don't taste all that great.
I was hoping that the peanut butter ones would taste more like a nutter butter cookie...
Panda Panda Panda
JohnWillow

Post by JohnWillow »

Spike - "Seriously, a talking Dog is the weird thing about all this"

Me - "Not at all, the fact that you're a dog and not a lizard is much weirder"

Post by 0404 »

GunRacer wrote:Sleet's got it... nonchalance is the order of the day. If you really feel people must know, simply don't hide your activities. Don't make it a big deal. People who aren't terribly immersed in internet culture-- presumably your parents would be in this group-- don't have a conception of the word "furry," so for goodness' sake don't introduce a term that has so much baggage attached to it (especially considering a Google search of the word will give people exactly the wrong idea). Just do what you do, and let it be nothing more and nothing less than that. And even with friends who do know about the fandom (if only a little), indifference is still a good thing:

"Oh wow, you're one of those furries?"
"Huh? I just like drawing cartoon animals. I blame it on all those Disney movies I watched as a kid."
"But you're a furry."
"Dude, I just like to draw cartoon-y stuff. That's all there is to it, regardless of whatever this 'furry' thing you're talking about is."

Etc.

Or something like that.
-GunRacer
Mayday Mayday Mayday, I am at risk. I don't know if I have already said it, but my best friend kinda knows that I might be furry and sure of my interest in cats and he has seen my furry drawing and he even said he might be getting me a cat (furry) paw and a scratch post for this Christmas present so that I can act like a cat... and I think he is trying to figure out if I am furry or not. he has mentioned of furry more than 20 times this week. ummmm ahhhh. how should I react? I can't just say "I just like to draw cartoony animals from diseny" here, he is also computer/internet geek like me and he already knows lot about furry along side with other internet stuffs. he wouldn't be all stereo typical but I'm little uncomfortable with other friends of mine may hear of it and be stereotypical about it.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

It's not a big deal. Don't treat it like one if you don't want others to. We're not going to change our advice.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Yeah it's really no big deal at all. Act like that and he probably will too.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

texascat018 wrote:
GunRacer wrote:Sleet's got it... nonchalance is the order of the day. If you really feel people must know, simply don't hide your activities. Don't make it a big deal. People who aren't terribly immersed in internet culture-- presumably your parents would be in this group-- don't have a conception of the word "furry," so for goodness' sake don't introduce a term that has so much baggage attached to it (especially considering a Google search of the word will give people exactly the wrong idea). Just do what you do, and let it be nothing more and nothing less than that. And even with friends who do know about the fandom (if only a little), indifference is still a good thing:

"Oh wow, you're one of those furries?"
"Huh? I just like drawing cartoon animals. I blame it on all those Disney movies I watched as a kid."
"But you're a furry."
"Dude, I just like to draw cartoon-y stuff. That's all there is to it, regardless of whatever this 'furry' thing you're talking about is."

Etc.

Or something like that.
-GunRacer
Mayday Mayday Mayday, I am at risk. I don't know if I have already said it, but my best friend kinda knows that I might be furry and sure of my interest in cats and he has seen my furry drawing and he even said he might be getting me a cat (furry) paw and a scratch post for this Christmas present so that I can act like a cat... and I think he is trying to figure out if I am furry or not. he has mentioned of furry more than 20 times this week. ummmm ahhhh. how should I react? I can't just say "I just like to draw cartoony animals from diseny" here, he is also computer/internet geek like me and he already knows lot about furry along side with other internet stuffs. he wouldn't be all stereo typical but I'm little uncomfortable with other friends of mine may hear of it and be stereotypical about it.
You really shouldn't worry about it. Worrying ab out it just makes him more likely to call attention to it. I know people where i'm at don't realy care what a furry is, and i'm sure most people don't, but when people try calling attention to the fact that you're a furry, it's usually negatively and it really puts him in the spotlight more than you. From the sounds of it though, it sounds like he's just teasing though, so like the others said, don't let it get to you.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Punchy

Post by Punchy »

Just keep cool and say something like "Yeah I am, so what? No big deal. I like animals and cartoons n'stuff."
If you don't want him going telling others about it, let him know that.
Panda Panda Panda
Nyaliva

Post by Nyaliva »

I'm expecting to be in a similar boat soon TC, my friends know I read furry comics and I'm going to start learning to draw soon. I think if it came up again my friends would eventually label me as a furry. Frankly, I'm wanting to push the issue so it's no longer an issue. Now, my friends are the type who will take something different about you and make jokes about it but never really condemn you for it and your friend might be better or worse in terms of their understanding but for general advice, I'd say either let him think it and treat it like nothing or say something to him like "Hey, I like drawing furry characters, it's no big deal and no different than you liking [insert one of their favourite things to do here]. However, I'd prefer you not to label me a furry in front of others because they may take it the wrong way."

There's nothing wrong with being a furry and as cliche as it sounds, if your friends are going to treat you differently, even after you tell them it's not as bad as they think, then they aren't really your friends. Don't worry, we'll always be here for you! ;)
Feel like you need a friend? I'm happy to talk anytime! :D

I'm on DeviantArt now!
Currently working on: "The Warriors" Book
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

I agree with GunRacer's advice, and texascat, if your friend is really bothering you that much about it, it sounds like he's either being a jerk or he's just your best friend so he's teasing you because he knows you well enough.

I get labeled as furry often, but I don't identify with the title. *shrugs* I wear an orange fox hat with ears just about everywhere and I used to have a furry drawing on one of my binders. Most people aren't internet enough to know that it's part of the furry culture, so they just call me a hipster and go about their day.
Let me tell you about Homestuck.

Post by 0404 »

thanks for helping me y'all.
Beagle wrote:I agree with GunRacer's advice, and texascat, if your friend is really bothering you that much about it, it sounds like he's either being a jerk or he's just your best friend so he's teasing you because he knows you well enough.

I get labeled as furry often, but I don't identify with the title. *shrugs* I wear an orange fox hat with ears just about everywhere and I used to have a furry drawing on one of my binders. Most people aren't internet enough to know that it's part of the furry culture, so they just call me a hipster and go about their day.
he is really good best friend of mine, we laugh until we throw our guts out. and him me and other friends had semi-christmas party yesterday. so it's not that he is a jerk. I think we are playing some kind of game.
i totally understand. who doesn't like animal hat? and hey, what's wrong with hipsters? :lol:
Nyaliva wrote:I'm expecting to be in a similar boat soon TC, my friends know I read furry comics and I'm going to start learning to draw soon. I think if it came up again my friends would eventually label me as a furry. Frankly, I'm wanting to push the issue so it's no longer an issue. Now, my friends are the type who will take something different about you and make jokes about it but never really condemn you for it and your friend might be better or worse in terms of their understanding but for general advice, I'd say either let him think it and treat it like nothing or say something to him like "Hey, I like drawing furry characters, it's no big deal and no different than you liking [insert one of their favourite things to do here]. However, I'd prefer you not to label me a furry in front of others because they may take it the wrong way."

There's nothing wrong with being a furry and as cliche as it sounds, if your friends are going to treat you differently, even after you tell them it's not as bad as they think, then they aren't really your friends. Don't worry, we'll always be here for you! ;)
first off he himself was a brony once. so, huummmmm *inserts* well I hope that vends a good thing out of it. and your friends are just like mine, my friends and I once teased him as a "censored (Diss, it's safe)" and that was only for few days. even if other friends know of it, they will just bring it once or twice in a month as a joke, not a big deal. I should just make no big deal about it but I want to push the issue so that I don't have to hide it/play a game.

GameCobra wrote: You really shouldn't worry about it. Worrying about it just makes him more likely to call attention to it. I know people where i'm at don't realy care what a furry is, and i'm sure most people don't, but when people try calling attention to the fact that you're a furry, it's usually negatively and it really puts him in the spotlight more than you. From the sounds of it though, it sounds like he's just teasing though, so like the others said, don't let it get to you.
I surely did sound panicked yesterday. I'll just be calm and deal with it intelligently, while making it no Big deal.
TinFoilHats

Post by TinFoilHats »

I like how we get into this little mini-discussion about milkbones. My dog had a milkbone and she ended up getting sick from it.
I AM RUBBER, YOU ARE GLUE!!!!
Arjay

Post by Arjay »

what kind of dog? All I ever give my dogs are milkbones or the Kirkland knockoff brand and they're fine :|
Staying focused is a full time job at minimum wage.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I really want to try a dog treat for furry cred but I'm too much of a wuss with food.
The Grey Wolverine

Post by The Grey Wolverine »

I've eaten Milkbones before, like, a lot of them.
Please click this link and support me on FA. http://www.furaffinity.net/user/greywolverene/
tychoaussie

Post by tychoaussie »

I find most of the pet treats are rather mealy - sort of like trying to eat field corn versus sweet corn on the cob. The best pet treats I've found are the jerky flavored treats. Those aren't too bad. Crunchy cat food is *okay* for the most part and generally much more palatable than the dog foods. It's also generally more expensive. I think it's probably because cats are picky eaters so the pet food companies have to make it taste better than the stuff they make for dogs, who generally will eat anything.
Now that said, I don't generally sample pet foods, except when I first buy it for my pets. I've tried all of their snacks. The kitty treats that they love, I *hate*, Its like eating fish-flavored playdough clay ! X.X ick!

In another random thought, my cat eats a whole coffee bean every morning just before I grind for my cappuccino. It's a bad habit we both share :)
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Isn't that poisonous?
tychoaussie

Post by tychoaussie »

Sleet wrote:Isn't that poisonous?
Golly, I don't know!

All I know is that nine years ago, my kids accidentally filled his food dish with a cup of my choice Kenya AA and didn't notice until I came home from work. I found poor kitten staring at his food dish and sitting there... >munch< >crunch<... "must be food, or they wouldn't have put it in there...." but he was obviously hungry and hadn't eaten much of the Kenya AA, if any.

However ever since, he's tipped my coffee cup over and licked the liquid from his paws, and I've given him one bean as a snack while I grind my cappuccino. Nikki's a Siberian forest cat - very tough and large. He munches one bean, then he's good; I feed him a fresh dish of Purina pro plan, and get our days started. Thus far, I haven't seen any side effects -
(Eight or nine year old photo )

Oh, and back to the subject at hand. There are fans of furry stuff, like fursuits, anthropomorphic movies, comics, and fiction, and then there are fashion furries who like the style of dress, and then there are therian furries who like to dwell within animalistic mindsets, and then there are still other niches and sub-categories. Personally, my interests are a select few (about eight or nine) webcomics I like, a bunch of movies (mostly Disney, studio Ghibli, & the like), and of course, the fun of fursuiting in public places that I get the privilige to enjoy. So am I a furry? Not in the classic lifestyle sense. There's people who now greet me at my church with a "Hi, Doggy!". However I'm also known for shooting sports,motorcycling, guitar playing, gospel trio singing, father of three terrific young people, auto racing, car building, amateur radio, USAF veteran, and being a PhD grad student in geophysics. So, am I a furry, a Christian gospel singer, a vet, a car guy, a geologist? Am I a computer nerd? Engineer? Ham radio operator? None, or all of the above??
DingoVolf
Location: It was unwise to wake the 3-eyed cat, but we did it anyways, and now look at us. Whatever you do,

Post by DingoVolf »

Sleet wrote:Isn't that poisonous?
Far as I know, it's the caffeine involved that does the damage. If kitty survived the initial beaning without major issues, I don't know that a single daily bean is going to pose any more risk of problems than age, diet and lifestyle habits normally do. That said, I'd wonder if half a bean would work - still maintains the ritual, reduces the intake in half.

And yea, I don't know what the difference between being INTO furry and BEING a furry is, but I'd like for the default concept of it to be as an interest to enjoy, and not thought of as a perversion to hide. Watching the brony phenomenon and how it is perceived by society is sorta relevant. In 5 years will people think of bronies as just some guys that like the show, or something representing the less kid friendly aspects of the fandom?
tychoaussie

Caffiene and cats

Post by tychoaussie »

FYI,
I just looked it up and according to Cornell University, the caffiene toxicity for cats is between 100 and 300 mg/kg of body mass. My cat, being 8 kg, maximum toxicity is therefore 800 mg - 2400 mg. A coffee bean is estimated at having between 1 and 14 mg of caffiene per bean. Therefore it'd take a dozen beans or so to hit 100 mg, which is well under the toxicity threshold for most cats. So, I think Nikki's bean habit is probably safe.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I really don't see a difference between being a furry and being "into" furry.
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

I have never considered myself a furry, but I can appreciate anthropomorphics. I do like stories with non-human characters and I do like animals.

I have some friends that are furries. Some of them are minor celebrities in this fandom.

One is an artist, fur suit builder, and bagpipe player called Scape.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1kZZrfWm0c

He's nice guy. Commission some art from him. Other than the furry thing, he is also a BMX trick rider. Just a jack of all trades.
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Sleet wrote:I really don't see a difference between being a furry and being "into" furry.
I guess if someone is willing to "dabble in it" so to speak by, for example reading a few web comics, but don't feel that they identify themselves as one they could be "into it" without being a furry.
I think in Non-sequiturs

"I told you not to put metal in the science oven! What'd you do that for?"

Trash boiz
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

Sleet wrote:I really don't see a difference between being a furry and being "into" furry.
Isn't Copper a pretty good example to the contrary?
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

He's not really "into" furry, he just hangs out around us a lot.
Nyaliva

Post by Nyaliva »

I'd probably be a candidate for "into" furry but not a furry, although to clarify, it's more "into" anthropomorphic stuff vs. being a fully fledged furry. Again, it comes down to how you define furry, if you place it at the lowest point (someone who likes stuff that's anthropomorphic) then everyone whose interests lie beyond that is a furry, but if you place it at the other extremity (the stereotypical view of furries), then there's a middle ground that's undefined.

I'm on DeviantArt now!
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I'm pretty sure by the "normal" definition that would make you a furry.
Nyaliva

Post by Nyaliva »

Yeah, but that's if you use that definition. There are a lot of people who would use the other definition, in which case I'm in the undefined middle ground, thus "into" furry but not furry.

I do identify myself as a furry now, I'm just sure to always follow it up with my definition. ;)

I'm on DeviantArt now!
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Well okay then!

If only the word weren't so weighted, this would be a lot easier.
TinFoilHats

Post by TinFoilHats »

Arjay wrote:what kind of dog? All I ever give my dogs are milkbones or the Kirkland knockoff brand and they're fine :|
She's a Cocker Spaniel.
I AM RUBBER, YOU ARE GLUE!!!!
Nyaliva

Post by Nyaliva »

Sleet wrote:Well okay then!

If only the word weren't so weighted, this would be a lot easier.
I know, right? I was on PokeFarm a little while ago and my older sister walked in to ask me something. She saw the screen and asked if it was "one of my furry websites". Not only was it completely out of the blue (the only furry stuff she's seen me with were my Housepets! books) but the inflection in her voice was the kind you have when you want to make a joke but you don't want to hit a possible sore spot or come off as mocking or disapproving. That subtle tone told me that she might think I'm a full furry and wouldn't particularly approve if so, but she understands it's my choice and doesn't want to poke at it in case it's either not as bad as she thinks or it's a sensitive topic for me.

Needless to say, social stereotypes have more of an impact on how we treat each other than we think and furries (all kinds) get some of the worst assumptions heaped on them of any other minority (that's not to discredit any other minority out there ;)).

I'm on DeviantArt now!
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

My mom still doesn't like me hanging out with "those furry people." Which is why I get frustrated every time she asks me who I'll be hanging out with when I say I'm going somewhere with friends.
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

I'm not sure if all of my friends beyond my two closest are even aware of the furry fandom. I should ask them and see.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit

Post by 0404 »

JeffCvt wrote:I'm not sure if all of my friends beyond my two closest are even aware of the furry fandom. I should ask them and see.
that's a Dangerous move that you are making there