Favorite MOVIES (?)

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Penwrite

Re: Favorite MOVIES (?)

Post by Penwrite »

Gosh. I've never seen it, and I'm not sure I ever want to. >.> Is it any good beyond being a rough experience?
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

Penwrite wrote:Gosh. I've never seen it, and I'm not sure I ever want to. >.> Is it any good beyond being a rough experience?
It is an excellent film. I can't praise it enough.

But, I don't want you to see it because it would... be hard on your soul. The violence against humans is very graphic and unflinching. But, the violence against the animals is real.

That is why this film was banned in 31 countries.
Seth wrote:
Radio Blue Heart wrote:
"Cannibal Holocaust" is a rough experience. But, I did feel a lot tougher than they are!
Rough expieience is putting it lightly. That is one of a dozen or so movies that genuinely disturb me. I love it.
What are the others that make up that dozen, Seth? You got me curious now!
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

I'm going to see The Hobbit on Thursday and Rise of the Guardians on Friday. I've never seen any Lord of the Rings movies, so this ought to be interesting. (My best friend's dad owns the first three movies but I never have the attention span to watch a movie at home. This is why I don't buy DVDs.)
Let me tell you about Homestuck.
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Beagle wrote:I'm going to see The Hobbit on Thursday and Rise of the Guardians on Friday. I've never seen any Lord of the Rings movies, so this ought to be interesting. (My best friend's dad owns the first three movies but I never have the attention span to watch a movie at home. This is why I don't buy DVDs.)
Oh my. Um, best of luck with The Hobbit. I'm an avid fan of the Lord of the Rings films, but I was disappointed with this new film. I could really tell at times that they were stretching the story thin for three films. Like butter spread over too much bread.

On the other hand, Rise of the Guardians was awesome, so I'm sure you'll enjoy that! :D
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:
Seth wrote:
Radio Blue Heart wrote:
"Cannibal Holocaust" is a rough experience. But, I did feel a lot tougher than they are!
Rough expieience is putting it lightly. That is one of a dozen or so movies that genuinely disturb me. I love it.
What are the others that make up that dozen, Seth? You got me curious now!
Well I don't really have a proper list but a few movies I remember having a huge effect on me are; American Psycho, Cannibal Holocaust, Weekend, Apocalypse now, Full Metal Jacket, Cabin fever (on a purely gross out level), jaws (Scared the crud out of me as a youngster, and the Devil's Rejects all come to mind.
I think in Non-sequiturs

"I told you not to put metal in the science oven! What'd you do that for?"

Trash boiz
Radio Blue Heart

That's a pretty good list, Seth.

For me, my movies were:
Cannibal Holocaust
Philosophy of a Knife
Aftermath
Martyrs
High Tension
Cannibal Ferox
New York Ripper
I Spit On Your Grave

Those are all the ones that I think I can post here. They didn't as much scare me as much as they unsettled me. After seeing "Cannibal Holocaust" the first time I felt the need to take a shower. I didn't like Cabin Fever because the bad acting and ridiculous characters and scenarios distracted me from the gore.
-Virgil
JohnWillow

Post by JohnWillow »

I'm sure I've posted here before but I don't think i've posted these

Harvey
The Court Jester
The Circus (Charlie Chaplin)
The Hobbit (It was epic!!)
How to train your dragon
Wall-E
Funny Girl and Hello Dolly (I only know her for her movies but Barbara Streisand is my idea of the perfect woman)
Rise of the planet of the apes
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

Now here's a few thing's i'd like to see turned into a movie

The Alchemaster's Cat (Or ECHO as I'd call it)
The Welkin Weasels - Thunder Oak
Dragon Ball (written by someone with talent)

And if I could pick one director to make another movie it would be Mark Dindall.
Spike - "Seriously, a talking Dog is the weird thing about all this"

Me - "Not at all, the fact that you're a dog and not a lizard is much weirder"
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Blarghblarghblargh, I have to work tomorrow, so The Hobbit will have to wait. I hope the basketball team wins their game tonight so my friend, the manager, can still see Rise of the Guardians with me on Friday.

Cirque du Soleil: Worlds Away is being released in my area. Do want to go see. And I'm definitely going to go see The Great Gatsby, which was one of my favorite books. <3 I hope the movie doesn't butcher it!
Let me tell you about Homestuck.
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Currently watching Karate-Robo Zaborgar on Netflix. Oh my gosh this movie is glorious!
Radio Blue Heart

Penwrite wrote:Currently watching Karate-Robo Zaborgar on Netflix. Oh my gosh this movie is glorious!
You should watch "Super Infra-Man". It think you would love it!
-Virgil
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:
Penwrite wrote:Currently watching Karate-Robo Zaborgar on Netflix. Oh my gosh this movie is glorious!
You should watch "Super Infra-Man". It think you would love it!
I probably would, hehe. Oh man, I can't stop grinning at how utterly ridiculous and awesome Zaborgar was! XD
Radio Blue Heart

Currently watching "Zombi Holocaust". Also known as "Doctor Butcher, M.D." and "Queen of the Cannibals". Its one of the most odd horror films you will ever see but it is ever so entertaining!
-Virgil
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Just finished watching John Carter with my brother. First time I've seen it since it was in theaters, first time he's seen it period. Man I love that movie.
Radio Blue Heart

Penwrite wrote:Just finished watching John Carter with my brother. First time I've seen it since it was in theaters, first time he's seen it period. Man I love that movie.
I kind of want to see that. Is it good? I know that it was the biggest box office failure of all time, but is it because of any artistic merit or did they just not market it correctly?
-Virgil
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:
Penwrite wrote:Just finished watching John Carter with my brother. First time I've seen it since it was in theaters, first time he's seen it period. Man I love that movie.
I kind of want to see that. Is it good? I know that it was the biggest box office failure of all time, but is it because of any artistic merit or did they just not market it correctly?
The film's marketing is to blame for its massive flop, as far as I've heard. All the reviews I've read have been good, and from my own experience seeing it twice I consider it a magnificent piece of sci-fi/fantasy adventure, hearkening back to classics such as Star Wars. The acting is great, the effects are amazing, the story is old but well-executed, and the musical score by Michael Giacchino is simply perfect.
Radio Blue Heart

Penwrite wrote:
Radio Blue Heart wrote:
The film's marketing is to blame for its massive flop, as far as I've heard. All the reviews I've read have been good, and from my own experience seeing it twice I consider it a magnificent piece of sci-fi/fantasy adventure, hearkening back to classics such as Star Wars. The acting is great, the effects are amazing, the story is old but well-executed, and the musical score by Michael Giacchino is simply perfect.
I was looking it up and found a list of the biggest box office flops of all time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_box_office_bombs

A bunch of them come as no surprise because they were terrible! But, I was surprised to see a few movies that I actually like on that list.
-Virgil
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

I got a true goldmine this Christmas. I've got Fritz Lang's Die Nibelungen, Sergio Leon's Man with No Name trilogy, Goodfellas, Cool Hand Luke, Georges Melies' Trip to the Moon, Akira Kurosawa's Seven Samurai, the original Godzilla, and the 70th anniversary blu-ray release of Casablanca. Yep, a good haul this year.

And I shall watch them all!
Radio Blue Heart

Penwrite wrote:I got a true goldmine this Christmas. I've got Fritz Lang's Die Nibelungen, Sergio Leon's Man with No Name trilogy, Goodfellas, Cool Hand Luke, Georges Melies' Trip to the Moon, Akira Kurosawa's Seven Samurai, the original Godzilla, and the 70th anniversary blu-ray release of Casablanca. Yep, a good haul this year.

The original "Godzilla" without the Raymond Burr insert scenes is a much better film than people give it credit for! It plays so much better without Burr giving exposition without interacting with the main cast or his voice overs keeping us from hearing and enjoying the original performances.

Too bad that another Toho movie "Half-Human" is not available in it original form. I doubt it ever will be.
-Virgil
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Watched Sergio Leone's A Fistful of Dollars in crisp, high-definition blu-ray today. My first time seeing the film.

Until further notice, Clue has been replaced as my personal favorite movie. :shock:
Punchy

Post by Punchy »

Penwrite wrote:I got a true goldmine this Christmas. I've got Fritz Lang's Die Nibelungen, Sergio Leon's Man with No Name trilogy, Goodfellas, Cool Hand Luke, Georges Melies' Trip to the Moon, Akira Kurosawa's Seven Samurai, the original Godzilla, and the 70th anniversary blu-ray release of Casablanca. Yep, a good haul this year.

Wow :shock:
So many good movies.
After I saw Cool Hand Luke for the first time, I started watching more movies starring Paul Newman.
One of the movies that I found was The Sting, It was entertaining and I'd recommend it.
Panda Panda Panda
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Punchy wrote:

Wow :shock:
So many good movies.
After I saw Cool Hand Luke for the first time, I started watching more movies starring Paul Newman.
One of the movies that I found was The Sting, It was entertaining and I'd recommend it.
Actually, that's funny, The Sting is the only Paul Newman movie I've seen so far. XD
jopencjusz

Post by jopencjusz »

The Sting is great movie, I watched it again 2 days ago :mrgreen:
My account on DA (something happens since I'm back here :))

My youtube accoint (with failed attemps to at least pretend I can sing)

Student, basketball referee, activist in old basketball club and official member of this club
Radio Blue Heart

Right now I am watching an Indonesian action film called "The Raid". It is easily one of the best action movies I have seen in a long time, and I don't really care for action movies.
-Virgil
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:Right now I am watching an Indonesian action film called "The Raid". It is easily one of the best action movies I have seen in a long time, and I don't really care for action movies.
I've seen two "favorite films of 2012" lists that included that movie.
Radio Blue Heart

Penwrite wrote:
Radio Blue Heart wrote:Right now I am watching an Indonesian action film called "The Raid". It is easily one of the best action movies I have seen in a long time, and I don't really care for action movies.
I've seen two "favorite films of 2012" lists that included that movie.
I would believe it! Its really good. It barely slows down once it starts going.

Right now I have decided to have a Lucio Fulci marathon. I have already watched "The Beyond", I am now watching "House by the Cemetery" and if I don't crash, I am going to try to watch "Cat in the Brain".

I love Lucio Fulci movies.
-Virgil
Punchy

Post by Punchy »

Just watched To Be or Not to Be, a comedy about the Polish underground fighting the invading Nazis.
It got bad reviews when it came out in 1942, many felt that the timing was bad.
It was later remade in 1983.
Panda Panda Panda
jopencjusz

Post by jopencjusz »

Yeah, the time wasn't very good for this movie, but it's good movie.
My account on DA (something happens since I'm back here :))

My youtube accoint (with failed attemps to at least pretend I can sing)

Student, basketball referee, activist in old basketball club and official member of this club
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

I went to see Jack Reacher several days ago and I have to say it was pretty good. Tom Cruise is great at playing action characters.
Life is Music, and Music is Life
------------------
My songs: http://www.soundcloud.com/onevirtue

Check out my FA page too!
Radio Blue Heart

I am currently watching "King of New York" directed by Abel Ferrara. It is my all time favorite gangster film. I think, in my own humble opinion, that it is superior to "The Godfather" or "Scarface". I know that many people who enjoy this type of film would consider what I just said to be absurd but watch "King of New York" just once and it will not fail to impress.

I just found out that "Nightbreed: The Cabal Cut" is definitely getting a release. There is no release date yet, and they keep saying that it will be on Blu-ray, but I hope there will be a DVD also because I cannot afford a Blu-ray player.

I also found out that there is going to be a remake of Dario Argento's "Suspiria". Like most remakes it will probably be a forgettable one-week-wonder that relies more on the reputation of the original film than the quality of the remake. Please watch the original. It is a classic.

I have had the urge to watch some of the recent found footage films. Has anyone here seen "Apollo 18" or "Chernobyl Diaries", and are they any good?
-Virgil
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:I am currently watching "King of New York" directed by Abel Ferrara. It is my all time favorite gangster film. I think, in my own humble opinion, that it is superior to "The Godfather" or "Scarface". I know that many people who enjoy this type of film would consider what I just said to be absurd but watch "King of New York" just once and it will not fail to impress.

I just found out that "Nightbreed: The Cabal Cut" is definitely getting a release. There is no release date yet, and they keep saying that it will be on Blu-ray, but I hope there will be a DVD also because I cannot afford a Blu-ray player.

I also found out that there is going to be a remake of Dario Argento's "Suspiria". Like most remakes it will probably be a forgettable one-week-wonder that relies more on the reputation of the original film than the quality of the remake. Please watch the original. It is a classic.

I have had the urge to watch some of the recent found footage films. Has anyone here seen "Apollo 18" or "Chernobyl Diaries", and are they any good?
I haven't seen them yet, but the reviews I've read for both have called them so-so to terrible. Fair warning.
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Ended up watching Battle Royale on my friend's netflix last night. I've read a bit of the manga before and it was o.k. but the movie was incredible. As I've said before I'm not one to get squeamish about movies but this is another one that had my skin crawling and actually got to me at an emotional level.
Penwrite wrote:
Radio Blue Heart wrote:I am currently watching "King of New York" directed by Abel Ferrara. It is my all time favorite gangster film. I think, in my own humble opinion, that it is superior to "The Godfather" or "Scarface". I know that many people who enjoy this type of film would consider what I just said to be absurd but watch "King of New York" just once and it will not fail to impress.

I haven't seen them yet, but the reviews I've read for both have called them so-so to terrible. Fair warning.
Well most found-footage films don't get particularly good reviews so there's still a chance they could be pretty good. If you do end up watching them and they're good blueheart send a recommendation my way.
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

I saw Apollo 18. (One of the 2-3 movies a year I actually see)

I liked it. It was pretty good if I remember correctly, just kind of strange. If you're looking for a lost footage style movie, then I would recommend watching it.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Watched Seven Samurai for the first time the other day. That was incredible.
Radio Blue Heart

I just got a copy of a movie called "Nail Gun Massacre" from 1985. It is cheap as dirt but it is infinitely entertaining!
-Virgil
Punchy

Post by Punchy »

Watched the original Ocean's Eleven, great movie.
It's nothing like the remake, which I did enjoy, but I think the original is the best.
Panda Panda Panda
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Watched The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly with my brother this evening. Best. Western. Ever.
Radio Blue Heart

I have the report for you. I saw "Apollo 18". It was not that great. even though it was a very intriguing premise and it had a few good moments, it was kind of dull.

On a high note, I found a copy of a movie that I have not seen in years and it was only $3.

"Tales From The Crypt Presents: Demon Knight", or just "Demon Knight" depending on the print you see. For those unfamiliar with it, it is the feature film spin-off of the "Tales From The Crypt" television series. Unlike the series, this is an original story and not based on the comics. Its about a man who has a key that contains the blood of Christ being pursued by demons as he takes refuge in an old hotel, that used to be a Catholic church, full of misfits and outsiders. It has scares and laughs, especially the bookend sequences with the Cryptkeeper.
-Virgil
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:I have the report for you. I saw "Apollo 18". It was not that great. even though it was a very intriguing premise and it had a few good moments, it was kind of dull.

On a high note, I found a copy of a movie that I have not seen in years and it was only $3.

"Tales From The Crypt Presents: Demon Knight", or just "Demon Knight" depending on the print you see. For those unfamiliar with it, it is the feature film spin-off of the "Tales From The Crypt" television series. Unlike the series, this is an original story and not based on the comics. Its about a man who has a key that contains the blood of Christ being pursued by demons as he takes refuge in an old hotel, that used to be a Catholic church, full of misfits and outsiders. It has scares and laughs, especially the bookend sequences with the Cryptkeeper.
Ooh! I saw that movie years ago on TV! I never managed to catch the first 20 minutes or so, so I had no idea it was a Crypt movie. Cool!
Duster

Post by Duster »

Hey guys imma noob here so let me take a crack at this.

some of my favorite movies include but are not limited to:
Mallrats
The Dark Night Series
Beerfest
Supertroopers
The Star Wars series
Both Sherlock Holmes Movies
Jungle Book
Sword in the Stone
The 300 (spartans)
Scott Pilgrim vs. the World
Shaun of the Dead
Hot Fuzz
How to Train Your Dragon
Zombieland
Spirited Away
Starship Troopers
Airplane!
The Original Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Chitty-chitty Bang Bang
and Pulp Fiction.

The Hobbit also promises to be a major contender after I watch it five or six more times!

Phew ..... ahh howz that for a list?

My all Time Favorite Movies are The Lord of The Rings Trilogy and The Goonies.
Because If you haven't read the books, watched the movies or know who J.R.R Tolkien is then you must be living under a rock because LOTR is nothing but pure, timeless, classic High Fiction!
And I believe i watched the Goonies so many times when I was a kid that i could ~ probably ~ write most of the dialogue from memory. So there you have it people.

Mod Edit: Please do not double post. If you need to add new information to a thread and yours is the most recent post, you may use the edit button in its upper-right corner.
Last edited by Duster on Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Extraordinary things happen to Extraordinary people!
also . . .
I'm the Best in the West!
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Duster wrote: Mallrats
Yesssssssssssssssssss. Mallrats is so underrated.
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz