Putting dead threads to bed, Jed

Moderator: ArcWolf

Beagle

Re: Chat Thread 39: A Heartwarming Children's Movie

Post by Beagle »

Sleet wrote:
Beagle wrote:Sleet needs to check her text messages. ;3
I check them frequently though! D:
Thank you for your help yesterday, I really appreciate it!

I like parties (though I've never attended a wild one) and being out and around other people. But that's my extroverted nature talking. *shrugs*
Let me tell you about Homestuck.
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

If I were anymore introverted I would implode.
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
mariomarc

Post by mariomarc »

me too
GunRacer

Post by GunRacer »

Seth, KJO, Dingo, McFly:
Guess it's a good thing I'm in college and not going grocery shopping like I used to. Now I've got a mental image of people in these matching, garishly-colored T-shirts that say something about the local chapter of the "Staring at People Fruit Picking Club" wandering around grocery stores nationwide, hanging out in the produce aisles and just... watching.

*shudders*
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

I actually think that would be hilarious. And if I could convince a few of my friends to do so (and maybe help me come up with some legit t-shirts), I would absolutely do that.

Probably get someone with a nice video camera to record it as well so we can turn it into something for Youtube.
"When you're falling in a forest and there's nobody around,
do you ever really crash or even make a sound?"
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

That'd certainlY be an interesting way to get my 15 minutes of internet fame..........
I think in Non-sequiturs

"I told you not to put metal in the science oven! What'd you do that for?"

Trash boiz
Nyaliva

Post by Nyaliva »

The only parties I ever go to are ones where there's something to do. Most of the time it's just me and my closest friends playing games. Also, being a bartender and someone who generally doesn't drink, everyone always wants me to make drinks, meaning I can mostly control the flow of alcohol so it never gets out of hand.
Radio Blue Heart wrote:If I were anymore introverted I would implode.
You should try the Jung-Briggs Meyers Personality Test, it's pretty accurate as far as my friends and I have found and it pretty much works out how your mind works. I got INFJ which stands for Introvert, iNtuitive, Feeling, Judging which doesn't tell you much but the breakdown page is pretty descriptive.
Here you go!

Also, I've never considered staring at people picking fruit, or being thoroughly observed whilst doing so myself, but it sounds like a good way to spend one's time! Count me in!
Feel like you need a friend? I'm happy to talk anytime! :D

I'm on DeviantArt now!
Currently working on: "The Warriors" Book
Punchy

Post by Punchy »

"Okay, so they're staring at me. So what? I'll just continue feeling these tomatoes. They'll leave."
15 minutes later...
"Why are they still there? Is there something wrong?"
Half an hour in. Tomatoes squished, hands messy...
"Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh!!!! What do you want?!!!!!"
Panda Panda Panda
MapleRatty

Post by MapleRatty »

or:"Okay, they've been for awhle"

"Why won't they leave!?!?"

"FALCON PAUNCH"
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

Oohhhhhh this weekend has started out awesomely and I am very happy. Anyone else having an awesome weekend so far?
Sometimes I wish the world would end in 2012
MapleRatty

Post by MapleRatty »

so far, yes...spicy chopped up potatoes can make any time awesome 8-) :mrgreen: :D
McFly

Post by McFly »

Dubiousity wrote:Oohhhhhh this weekend has started out awesomely and I am very happy. Anyone else having an awesome weekend so far?
It has been fine so far. It has been a while since I've gotten a chance to sleep in.

Post by 0404 »

Dub wrote: Oohhhhhh this weekend has started out awesomely and I am very happy. Anyone else having an awesome weekend so far?
Valve store took my 60 bucks because of credit card Transaction error SAD SAD SAD :(
I've called the company but I have to wait until they call me back.
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

I have two papers to write and work sunday morning. This weekend is bad and everything hurts.
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

My weekend starts after I come home from school on Friday. Because we had our final Christmas parade after school on Friday, I didn't actually leave the school in my truck until about 10:00. I was taking on of my friends home, and asked her if she wanted to stop at McDonalds. She said sure and 5 minuets later we were pulling in the parking lot.

What greeted us was a large group of people (Like, large large. 50-60 I would say) who walked across the parking lot in front of the truck and over to some cars that other people are trying to get in and something seems to be starting that me and my friend don't want to stay around for. So I say "Let's just go, I don't think we want to stay around for this."

So what happens right after I say that? A gunshot. We got out of there as quickly as I could do so and barely talked the entire way to her house.

I've never experienced something like that before. Holy cow, I don't know what happened, but a cop was killed at that McDonalds a few years ago. It was just scary.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
GunRacer

Post by GunRacer »

Wow. That's really freaky... glad you and your friends didn't get mixed up in any of that.

Post by 0404 »

Glad that you are alive!! Phewwww I'm really really glad. I feel need to hug you right now. Just to fact that you are safe.
You know gunracer would make a good bodyguard. He has a gun! And professional in that kind of area.
Karl

Post by Karl »

I never witnessed a gunshot. But I don't think I would ever want to.
Good to know that you're okay. And you behaved properly in this situation.
I'm a bookworm!
MapleRatty

Post by MapleRatty »

Oh wow...I'm glad your safe Jeff, that could have ended a lot worse :shock:

I hope the rest of those people are okay...
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

Believe it or not, that McDonalds is actually a very nice one. One of the best ones we have around.

I'm not sure what went on, and I didn't actually see anyone get hurt, only heard the shot. I only hope things get better in the town, because it's not a bad town for the most part.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
McFly

Post by McFly »

Well, at least you and your friend are okay.
MapleRatty

Post by MapleRatty »

Who else finished their Christmas shopping early!? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

....okay, lame, I know, but I alwaus finish my shopping at the last minute, so this was amazin!!! :twisted:
McFly

Post by McFly »

We finished our Christmas shopping before Thanksgiving. My mom thought it would not be a good idea to go Christmas shopping in December because that's when the rush usually starts. Well...around where we live, at least.
GunRacer

Post by GunRacer »

texascat018 wrote:Glad that you are alive!! Phewwww I'm really really glad. I feel need to hug you right now. Just to fact that you are safe.
You know gunracer would make a good bodyguard. He has a gun! And professional in that kind of area.
With all due respect, no. First off, I'd make a terrible bodyguard... I have absolutely no qualification as such, and most of what a bodyguard does (from my limited understanding) is observe and assess a situation to make sure they can get their principal out before things devolve into a kidnapping or assassination attempt. Guns, even in trained hands, aren't a "get out of trouble free" card; never forget that. From what Jeff was saying, this was one of those situations where high-tailing it out of the area was the best option. I don't care how many rounds of ammo you're carrying, one person against 50+ (where at least one of 'em is armed, if the gunshot is any indication) is terrible odds. Life isn't an action movie. If it was something like a woman being dragged, screaming, out of her car by this group, then you could make the case for intervening. I probably would, but that doesn't make doing so any less reckless-- even though it may be the right course of action.

Jeff:
Did you at least call the police? The best course of action is generally to get out of the immediate area, get on the line with 911, and then relay to them what's going on.

As to Christmas shopping, my family also got it all done ahead of time... mainly because what we wanted was all but guaranteed to be out-of-stock or overpriced by December. Yay for saving money!
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

Unfortunately, I did not call the police. My mind at that point was get away and focus on driving the car so I didn't crash.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
McFly

Post by McFly »

Considering there were 50-60 people (in a McDonald's parking lot I might add), I'd be surprised if not a single one of them called the police.

Post by 0404 »

McFly wrote:Considering there were 50-60 people (in a McDonald's parking lot I might add), I'd be surprised if not a single one of them called the police.
that, that causes the late report of the accident. once there was a murder in public and every thought of the same thing. police wasn't called until 30 minutes after the scene. and the victim could have been saved if someone called an ambulance earlier.
GunRacer: for some reason I expect you to be as good shooter as Dirty Harry.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Someone's shooting ability has no relevance on their bodyguard skills. As GunRacer said, personal protection is more about risk mitigation than the use of physical force. If you, as a "body guard," have to use physical force, whether a weapon is involved, you have, to some degree, failed.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other

Post by 0404 »

what do you expect from me? Xp
GunRacer

Post by GunRacer »

Jeff:
I know it's hard to think straight under stress, so it's good that you at least got away safely. But if (God forbid!) something similar happens to you in the future, it's worth remembering that you should call the cops. Stay safe.

McFly:
But what if those folks were all part of a mob getting ready to beat up somebody they didn't like? It's not exactly likely that dozens of people would congregate in a Mickey D's parking lot unless they'd already come there-- or agreed to meet there-- as a group, which kind of implies questionable conduct... ergo the need to call it in.

TC018:
I can shoot decently (although not half as well as I'd like :P); no more, no less. I know a little about guns, how they work, laws pertaining to them, and so on... but that doesn't mean I'm some pro gunslinger, much as I wish I was. Thanks for the compliment, though!

Dissension:
Yeah, the number one rule of gunfights is "Don't get in one." If it was an either/or choice between shooting and other bodyguarding skills, then I'd take the latter. But by that same token, the number two rule of gunfights is "Have a gun, and know how to use it." If I'm having to fork over cash to somebody to protect me (which implies they'll probably need to at some point, whether proactively or reactively), I'd want to take an "all of the above" approach to their skillset... and that'd include knowing how to run a gun well. Y'know, just in case.
Sarnoff

Post by Sarnoff »

Wow that's a pretty crazy story.

I have been held at gun point by some run a marathon off guy that verbally threatened that he would kill me if I came around that area again. It's actually not that bad, you just have to stay calm and not do anything stupid. As soon as I saw he was pointing a gun at us I just slowly raised my hands above my head and complied with him, in a cool respectful manner. I was kinda shook up after it but got over it in about 2 days and was actually quite angry afterwards that he threatened to kill me. Moral of the story is keep your cool, you don't want to enrage a person with a gun any further, try to calm them down and be respectful if possible and your chances of not getting injured or worse are better. If anything it makes a pretty awesome story and a life experience.
Last edited by Sarnoff on Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nyaliva

Post by Nyaliva »

Man, those are some crazy happenings! I've often thought about what I'd do if held at gun point (despite living and working in suburbia) and I can never come up with something to say that won't raise my chances of being shot. So my advice is, keep quiet and do what your told, if they're the type of person who'd shoot you after you did that, there's little chance anything you can say won't just aggravate them. (Wow, that sounds really morbid...)

I'm on DeviantArt now!
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

You know something ridiculous that I managed to accomplish? I watched Lord of the Rings.

The longest cuts.

In one day.

For the second time.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
MapleRatty

Post by MapleRatty »

...isn't just a SINGLE movie over 2 HOURS LONG1!?!?1? :o :o :o
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

try 3 hours.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Karl

Post by Karl »

I watched for 4 hours a costume movie about Swedish Flood. It was good because actors had well designed costumes, I really liked their feathered hats. But somehow my head felt so empty when I got outside after watching it.
I'm a bookworm!
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

I don't think I've ever seen any of the lord of hte rings movies all the way through. I need ot fix that someday if I want to keep my nerd credentials.
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
Nyaliva

Post by Nyaliva »

Sleet wrote:You know something ridiculous that I managed to accomplish? I watched Lord of the Rings.

The longest cuts.

In one day.

For the second time.
My congratulations to you! I've often thought of doing something similar but I never have a whole day or enough will to sit through that much for that long. I tried it with the Harry Potter series and I had to spread it over three days!

I'm on DeviantArt now!
MapleRatty

Post by MapleRatty »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:try 3 hours.
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Sleet...did stabbing your TV cross your mind, because it would be justified if the thought did :shock:
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

I actually marathon'd LoTR with my sister not too long ago. Only the first one was extended edition, though, because I actually prefer the cuts; we just didn't have a copy of the normal cut for Fellowship. I've seen all of the extended editions before, and while it was nice to see them at least once, I fully understand why the majority of those parts were taken out.

I've also marathon'd the entire HP series once before, though it was before Part 2 of Deathly Hallows came out, so I guess it wasn't technically a complete run.

Either way, I love having little events like that. Just spending a day with friends, heaps of your favorite snacks, and some really good entertainment. Freakin' awesome. :3
"When you're falling in a forest and there's nobody around,
do you ever really crash or even make a sound?"