Discussion: Video Games

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Nyaliva

Re: Discussion: Video Games

Post by Nyaliva »

That would be good and is certainly possible with the split screen of the handhelds (animation on the top, selecting attack on the bottom), however the only flaw I see is potentially acting too quickly when your opponent's attack, abilities and status changes haven't fully taken effect. Although there was a game I played once which had dynamic turn-based combat, after an attack you had to wait a certain amount of time to "catch your breath" (ie. the type of attack determined the amount of time required) and then you could look through your attacks and strategize. The only catch is that while you're deciding how to attack, your opponent is catching it's breath and doing the same, meaning you have to make quick decisions or lose your speed advantage. It worked surprisingly well.

I've often thought if they made a Pokemon Stadium type of game with this mechanic it'd sell really well on the Wii. You could invite friends over and have real time Pokemon Battles like they do in the TV show.
Feel like you need a friend? I'm happy to talk anytime! :D

I'm on DeviantArt now!
Currently working on: "The Warriors" Book
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

The complete destruction of Pokemon Yellow Pokemon Yellow Total Control Hack and no its not a some kind of trick he really got it to do that and if you were good enough and fast enough you could do it on a real cart.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Fellow video gamers, where may I find a PS3 for cheaper than $199 at GameStop this weekend?
Let me tell you about Homestuck.
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

Beagle wrote:Fellow video gamers, where may I find a PS3 for cheaper than $199 at GameStop this weekend?
I can't point you towards a place where you can get one for that price, however I will say this:

Make sure you get a regular Slim PS3. The original PS3 has a decent failure rate and the new Super Slim is wrought with disc read errors. Trust me on this, the normal Slim is the best iteration of the PS3 console.
Sometimes I wish the world would end in 2012
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

The Hurricane Sandython will start in less then an hour. SpeedRunsLive, SpeedDemosArchive, and the Fighting Game Community are putting on a Marathon to raise money for the victims of Hurricane Sandy.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Dubiousity wrote:
Beagle wrote:Fellow video gamers, where may I find a PS3 for cheaper than $199 at GameStop this weekend?
I can't point you towards a place where you can get one for that price, however I will say this:

Make sure you get a regular Slim PS3. The original PS3 has a decent failure rate and the new Super Slim is wrought with disc read errors. Trust me on this, the normal Slim is the best iteration of the PS3 console.
I've heard that the Super Slim has had that problem. Like I told my mother today when we were discussing Apple products, "If these technologies keep getting thinner and thinner, they're just going to disappear."

However, I'll look more into whether I want the fat model or slim model. I really like the backward compatibility of the fat model, but I won't spend $200 on something that's going to be trash. Words do not describe how irritated I was when I discovered that I got the first of the Wiis to no longer have backwards compatibility. I missed out on so many GameCube games. >_<
I'm not very worried about overheating issues; there are very few games out there that I will play longer than two hours at a time.
I also know how to install an external hard drive (plus I'm always broke, so I'm not a hardcore gamer) so I'm not worried about memory space.
The ultimate deciding factor will most likely be what is the cheapest option, though.
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

Beagle wrote:
Dubiousity wrote:

I've heard that the Super Slim has had that problem. Like I told my mother today when we were discussing Apple products, "If these technologies keep getting thinner and thinner, they're just going to disappear."

However, I'll look more into whether I want the fat model or slim model. I really like the backward compatibility of the fat model, but I won't spend $200 on something that's going to be trash. Words do not describe how irritated I was when I discovered that I got the first of the Wiis to no longer have backwards compatibility. I missed out on so many GameCube games. >_<
I'm not very worried about overheating issues; there are very few games out there that I will play longer than two hours at a time.
I also know how to install an external hard drive (plus I'm always broke, so I'm not a hardcore gamer) so I'm not worried about memory space.
The ultimate deciding factor will most likely be what is the cheapest option, though.
Not all of the Fat PS3's are backwards compatible, only the 60gig ones are (or 80, I'm not sure, whatever the very first models are). Because it is backward compatible it will actually be more expensive than normal. From what I heard the backwards compatibility is subpar anyway, you might be better off getting a PS2 seperately.
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Dubiousity wrote:you might be better off getting a PS2 seperately.
I second this. If you wanna play PS1 and 2 games, just get yourself a PS2. They're uber cheap at this point, but they're durable as heck and rarely have issues. Plus, you get nerd points for having an "old" console. :p
"When you're falling in a forest and there's nobody around,
do you ever really crash or even make a sound?"
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

Dubiousity wrote:Not all of the Fat PS3's are backwards compatible, only the 60gig ones are (or 80, I'm not sure, whatever the very first models are). Because it is backward compatible it will actually be more expensive than normal. From what I heard the backwards compatibility is subpar anyway, you might be better off getting a PS2 seperately.
20 and 60 gig models are 100% backwards compatible, 80 gig units are about 70-80% Backwards Compatible. And you shouldn't reply on everything that you hear because in this case it's not true, the BC on 20 and 60 gig units is fine.
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

Foxstar wrote:
Dubiousity wrote:Not all of the Fat PS3's are backwards compatible, only the 60gig ones are (or 80, I'm not sure, whatever the very first models are). Because it is backward compatible it will actually be more expensive than normal. From what I heard the backwards compatibility is subpar anyway, you might be better off getting a PS2 seperately.
20 and 60 gig models are 100% backwards compatible, 80 gig units are about 70-80% Backwards Compatible. And you shouldn't reply on everything that you hear because in this case it's not true, the BC on 20 and 60 gig units is fine.
Is it? I only said it was subpar because my friend described his PS3 playing PS1-2 games with very shaky framerates and much longer loading times. It might just have been something wrong with his PS3 though.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Dubiousity wrote:Is it? I only said it was subpar because my friend described his PS3 playing PS1-2 games with very shaky framerates and much longer loading times. It might just have been something wrong with his PS3 though.[/color]
Might've been the games. The Playstation 3 i had before that was compatable with my PS2 games wern't having a hard time with loadings or framerates i find, but then you get games like Final Fantasy Tactics and Castlevania: SotN that were having audio issues and some odd blurs here and there.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

So guys, are there any games you're excited for in 2013? I'm mainly looking forward to Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, the game looks like it has a ton of content and will continue the fun I had with Tri. I WAS looking forward to the new Devil Mar Cry but after seeing the new Dante's character as a whole and actually playing the demo... ugh. I can't remember the last time I was so disappointed with a game.

I hate Ninja Theory now.
FlintTheSquirrel

Post by FlintTheSquirrel »

If I remember correctly, which I doubt I do. I think all of the fatter PS3s are backward compatible to PS1 games, but only the 60 GB or something is backward compatible with PS2 games.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

You guuuuuuuuuys:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStatio ... comparison

There, I fixed it.

GameStop has the fat 60 GB model for $219. The 20 GB is $199, but really, for three times more memory plus wi-fi and flash card readers, I'll go ahead and pay the extra $20. Slendy's been leaving me alone lately so my twenty dollar bills are mostly intact. ;P

By the way, the lasers in the PS2 are starting to fail from old age. Mine already is. I love Spyro too much to sacrifice him to non backwards compatibility.
The Grey Wolverine

Post by The Grey Wolverine »

Hey, if any of you are interested, a friend of mine has a Minecraft server he runs, if you want to show up the ip is 69.120.124.171, its a good server and maybe you'll see me there.
Please click this link and support me on FA. http://www.furaffinity.net/user/greywolverene/
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

I'm currently fiddling around with my Wii U. May have to ship my Wii off to Nintendo to get it fixed in order to get the info off of it, which would suck.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Considering getting the Wii U when my original Wii breaks down. making sure i write down the information too so i can transfer the games as well =P

Cousin also gave me Alex Wake as a gift yesterday. awesome game, but hardcore on the computer specs and low replayability. Fun with details though.
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

GameCobra wrote:Considering getting the Wii U when my original Wii breaks down. making sure i write down the information too so i can transfer the games as well =P

Cousin also gave me Alex Wake as a gift yesterday. awesome game, but hardcore on the computer specs and low replayability. Fun with details though.
I think you may mean Alan Wake.

As for the Wii U, it interests me but I'm having a bit of trouble justifying a purchase at this point. Since it just launched the gaming library is barebones; there's nothing noteworthy on it that isn't available somewhere else and there won't be until at least March. The tablet seems cool, but I think I'd rather get a PS3 or 3DS for now since both have much more expansive game libraries. 2013 is gonna be an amazing year for the 3DS in particular.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Yeah, Alan Wake. >.> too many Alex's in my life.

On a side note, forgot to mention i got Breath of Fire 2. Nostalgia is suddenly making me realize something. There's alot of things when i was a kid playing this game that wished they were true. Like human dogs who hunt with bows. Genius.

That, and most unbeatable bosses were human hybrid animals. Commands respect for them!
FritzyBeat

Post by FritzyBeat »

Has anyone else gotten the chance to play the new Playstation All Stars Battle Royal game yet?
Fino is coming, and he's bringing moon pizza.
Nyaliva

Post by Nyaliva »

No but I think I'll eventually get it, I'm not much into fighters but I think I should have at least one for when friends come over.

I'm on DeviantArt now!
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

TheMobian wrote:Has anyone else gotten the chance to play the new Playstation All Stars Battle Royal game yet?
I have, and in my opinion it's not anything specifically spectacular. The game tries to be both a smash clone and a combo based tourny fighter and falls short in both. Also, since the game is based on getting meter in order to kill people will Super Moves (since Super Moves are the only way to defeat someone) the game ends up fairly unbalanced, those with the better Supers being the better characters.

I imagine it could be fun with friends, but then again almost all games are.
exranio

Post by exranio »

That and whichever characters build meter faster and whichever characters have easier hit confirms.
So check out my Deviant art http://exranion.deviantart.com/ It has ponies, furries, and the link to my tumblr!
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

I'm really having a hard time picking between whether or not I want a 3DS or a PS3. I'm leaning towards the 3DS.
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

Dude. The PS3. D:
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

The PS3 has a larger library (due to having been out longer), but the 3DS will continue to see support longer.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Nyaliva

Post by Nyaliva »

Having both I'd say it depends on the types of games you like. If you like all the shooters that come out, HD games or multiplayer online gaming, I'd say PS3. However, if you like the little games you get on handhelds, go for the 3DS. You can connect to the Nintendo eShop which has HEAPS of games for less than $10, including a heap of games from the Gameboy Original, the NES and other old consoles (there are heaps of new games only available on the eShop too, but they're generally around $12 or more).

I really like the PS3 but I don't have too many games, mostly because I don't like all the shooters and stuff that come out (I actually got it with family otherwise I wouldn't have been able to afford it and I mostly wanted it for Ratchet and Clank and God of War 3). Not to mention I can take my 3DS to uni with me everyday. I usually end up playing puzzle games on the 1 hour bus ride there and back to pass the time. I haven't had the PS3 long so I haven't yet hooked it up to the PSN network so I don't know what kind of games you can buy there.

But yeah, I'm sure I probably haven't helped at all! :P If you have any other questions though, just let me know.

I'm on DeviantArt now!
FlintTheSquirrel

If you ever get PSN working. I highly suggest a game called Odin Sphere. :3
The price of it was $10, but it provided me well over 40 hours of entertainment.
Only problem that it is a difficult game, so be prepared to game-over a whole lot.

On the side of 3DS, they have a nice and cheap attachment to the Pokemon Black 2 and White 2. And also have a fun puzzle game called Pushmo. A very hard puzzle game. :I

Anywho, I am done with my blatant advertising. I do believe the PS3 will provide you with more entertainment if you want to play very large, story driven games. The 3DS still does not have a large selection of games outside the downloadable ones. If you are on the move a lot though, the 3DS would be better.
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

Well most of the PS3's library is multiplatform games that I've already played on my 360, though there are some exclusives I want to play such as Demon's Souls and inFamous, as long as future multiplats such as Dead Space 3 and Metal Gear Rising. The PS3 would more or less end up being a replacement for my broken 360.

The 3DS however has Kid Icarus, Kingdom Hearts DDD, Pokemon (since I no longer have a DS), and Tales of the Abyss 3D. Next year it's getting Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Fire Emblem Awakening with the possibility of getting Monster Hunter 4 and Bravely Default localized in the latter part of the year. That's just counting games I'm actively looking forward to.

I guess the major swaying power for the PS3 would be online and such, but I have no friends to play with anyway.
FlintTheSquirrel

I say pick the top 3 games you want to play from either system and compare the 3 to find out. If you no longer have a DS, and look at it that way, you have a whooooole ton of options with the 3DS.

Also, the PS3 is backwards comparable to the PS1 if you do no have that. (And a few really expensive models can play PS2 games)
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

FlintTheSquirrel wrote:I say pick the top 3 games you want to play from either system and compare the 3 to find out. If you no longer have a DS, and look at it that way, you have a whooooole ton of options with the 3DS.

Also, the PS3 is backwards comparable to the PS1 if you do no have that. (And a few really expensive models can play PS2 games)
Backwards compatibility isn't a large selling point for the PS3, I still have my PS2.
FlintTheSquirrel

True enough. Everyone still has a PS2. XP But it saves on having to switch hook-ups. Anywhos, I honestly have no idea what your taste in games is obviously, so I definitely dunno which one you'd enjoy more.

Are you going to get one of the systems soon, or is this for Christmas?
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

FlintTheSquirrel wrote:True enough. Everyone still has a PS2. XP But it saves on having to switch hook-ups. Anywhos, I honestly have no idea what your taste in games is obviously, so I definitely dunno which one you'd enjoy more.

Are you going to get one of the systems soon, or is this for Christmas?
It's a Christmas thing, I'm just asking for money this year so I can have more time to decide between the two.
XxCyberGamerxX

Post by XxCyberGamerxX »

This Christmas people at my school are just talking about:COD black ops 2,Halo 4,Assassin creed 3

Really, could care less which one i get
Gamers have lifes its called a 1-up.
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

XxCyberGamerxX wrote:This Christmas people at my school are just talking about:COD black ops 2,Halo 4,Assassin creed 3

Really, could care less which one i get
AC3 would be cool to have. Too bad it's experiencing terrible lag on PC. :V
FlintTheSquirrel

I keep hearing that it is the exact same as the previous ones apart from the ship battles. I've only played the first one personally, and although I beat it, I really didn't like it. I hear the same from a lot of people, so I guess that series is only for a nitch group.

On another note, my brother and I are trying out a lot of games recently. Not to interested in Halo 4 so far, since they have yet to give me any weapon I actually like, but we have not gone to far either. I do however have to give Borderlands 2 some credit, it is one heck of a great time with friends, and it feels so fair and teamwork based. I do enjoy character customization, so being able to diverse my character from my brother, and being built on supporting him is grand.

Lastly, we picked up "
Muramasa: The Demon Blade" today, which is the spiritual successor to Odin Sphere. Have not played it yet, but probably will once I submit this post.
exranio

Post by exranio »

I'm working on game concept right now. Going over concept and design and stuff in my inter media design class and I am also learning programing.

My concept? A roller skate shooter. Bascially combine Airgear, A shooter like SF4 league or Gunslinger Stratos, then add a tiny bit of tony hawk. The idea is for a fast paced acrobatic shooter that's all about doing tricks and being evasive.
So check out my Deviant art http://exranion.deviantart.com/ It has ponies, furries, and the link to my tumblr!
Nyaliva

Post by Nyaliva »

FlintTheSquirrel wrote:..."Muramasa: The Demon Blade"...Odin Sphere...
They both sound very familiar as being highly recommended games, and if it's $10 I don't see a reason not to get it!

I'm on DeviantArt now!
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

Fire Emblem Awakening is coming out in the US on February 4th, looks like I'm getting a 3DS.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I'm so excited~

Thankfully that'll be more than enough time to be done with Paper Mario: Sticker Star and anything else I'll be playing/reading until then.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!