Arc #65 The Unbearable Lightness Of Being A Dog

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think

Re: Arc #65 The Unbearable Lightness Of Being A Dog

Post by 0404 »

it looks like king has grey eyes. but it's actually light blue.
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

I really don't see all these problems with lines and such everyone is complaining about, it looks fine to me.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

I personally think its still to early in this styles development to be very critical of it. Give Rick some time to practice it and flesh it out before you start criticizing it too much.
DingoVolf
Location: It was unwise to wake the 3-eyed cat, but we did it anyways, and now look at us. Whatever you do,

Post by DingoVolf »

I'll admit the backgrounds distract me from the characters, but the char designs are fine. Almost anything with that corgi in it gets my vote anyways, so I'm sated. :)
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

I really like the new comics... and besides, he JUST got out of the hospital and is trying to draw in a new style. I think he is doing just fine.

This is quite a development. Bailey is now in Babylon Gardens! Squee~~ :D
My characters
Everybody has a story to tell. What's yours?
Karl

Post by Karl »

IceKitsune wrote:I personally think its still to early in this styles development to be very critical of it. Give Rick some time to practice it and flesh it out before you start criticizing it too much.
Well, since the V3 version is still being under development, I think now is the right moment to just let out what lies on your heart. But it will be author's decision will the given criticism be helpful to him or not.
I'm a bookworm!
PhoenixAsper

Post by PhoenixAsper »

rickgriffin wrote:Holy crap I just got such a good idea for the King story in the future.
rickgriffin wrote:...involves more Bailey...
rickgriffin wrote:YOU WILL LOVE IT.
rickgriffin wrote:...upcoming Christmas arc, which I have been planning since last Thanksgiving.
Well, it all fits that this is the one. AND he said he would try and reach a point of stability in the cosmic arc. :shock: I await the end of this one with hopeful anticipation. Hopefully not too much.

Also, sorry to hear someone's been creating trouble with the character sheets, Rick. :?
Gren

Post by Gren »

Finally I have some time to pass over here

Nice comic! I don't know why but in the first and four panel King and Bailey looks more as mother and son than a couple to me :lol:

Now I wonder, if the farm was sold and Bailey ended up living with Fox, that means she is a Lindsberg now, and that makes her Fox's sister and not his cousin anymore, right? A bit confusing don't ya think? :? :lol:
ImageImage
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

Gren wrote:Now I wonder, if the farm was sold and Bailey ended up living with Fox, that means she is a Lindsberg now, and that makes her Fox's sister and not his cousin anymore, right? A bit confusing don't ya think? :? :lol:
If your cousin came to live with you for an indefinite amount of time, would they become your sibling? also, while Grape and Peanut live together, and possibly see each other as like brother and sister, they never refer to them as such. Nor does Bino call Max his brother, same with Marvin, Tiger, and Zach. They have the same "parents" but they aren't exactly siblings.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

You know what as much as I have a feeling Pete is behind this (and lets face it there is about a 90% chance he is) I actually hope he isn't and King kind of spends this whole arc paranoid about it and finds out at the end it wasn't him.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

A dog and a horse? That's almost as weird as a dog and an ex-dog!
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Don't you just love it when metaphors go awry :lol:

I think I can get used to the line separating King's colors if it remains thin like that. I'll work on wrapping my head around it. On the other side of things, I am WAY digging the backgrounds and the whole "comic" style feel to the layouts. ;)
valerio

Post by valerio »

I'm afraid that king will actually try and talk bailey's owners into taking her back, honestly thinking it's for her own good...and thus terminating the only best thing ever happened to him... :(
Karl

Post by Karl »

Give the horse a cube of sugar.
I'm a bookworm!
valerio

Post by valerio »

today vs. yesterday.
talk about evolution :D
cuter design AND King got a girlfriend, double YAY!

GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

One thing about King's nose is i liked the old version better without lines. His ears are a much greater imporovement :)

King is more than likely going to be looked at at the end of this arc as doing something only a human would do, and take it completely the wrong way. The dogs don't look at their troubles the same way as King does, so chances are he's going to do something completely out of their comfort or responsibility zones since Fox already hinted it when King mentioned he would feel irresponsible otherwise.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Yeah I like the lineless muzzle too. Though the style change hasn't happened yet, so it's not like this is permanently what he'll look like.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
rickgriffin
Site Admin

Post by rickgriffin »

Why does everyone keep saying the style change hasn't happened yet when it clearly has happened
I'm sure the cold hand of science will be able to overcome his magical powers
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

To confuse and aggravate you. Did it work?
"When you're falling in a forest and there's nobody around,
do you ever really crash or even make a sound?"
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Sleet wrote:Yeah I like the lineless muzzle too. Though the style change hasn't happened yet, so it's not like this is permanently what he'll look like.
yeah, It happened. what hasn't happened is the new jumping on point of the comic.

and to comment on the issue with the line on King's muzzle and neck, I think it looks better in today's strip. in Friday's strip, it appears to be one continuous line on his muzzle and neck which was a bit odd, but in today's, there's a slight indentation in the line to mark the change between neck and muzzle.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

rickgriffin wrote:Why does everyone keep saying the style change hasn't happened yet when it clearly has happened
Because I assumed it would come with the new jumping-in point you described and just attributed it to testing stuff out before the change.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

rickgriffin wrote:Why does everyone keep saying the style change hasn't happened yet when it clearly has happened
'Cause they can't pay attention and are confusing the style change with Housepets 3.0.
Sleet wrote:
Because I assumed it would come with the new jumping-in point you described and just attributed it to testing stuff out before the change.
rickgriffin wrote:
Kitch wrote:As Rick said Wednesday, the new style is NOT in effect yet.

And awwwwwwwwww, they're snuggling.
I said Housepets 3.0 isn't if effect yet. This is the new style, which I still need practice with. Lots and lots of practice.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
rickgriffin
Site Admin

Post by rickgriffin »

Guys.

The old style was *sloppy*. I got sick of everyone asking if someone was drawn in a new style every time I drew them and I got sick of them turning out awful and awkward and not knowing how to fix it.

The design goal with the new style is uniformity and professionalism. And that includes delineation of all colors on a character and also simplifying their color designs at the same time.

I got a comment about how King looked awful because his eye was too big in the second panel. That happened constantly in the older style but nobody bothered to comment on it because they weren't in nitpicky mode.

If you're gonna nitpick, stop pretending the old art was perfect. It was only good as it was because you were used to it.
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

It all looks fine to me. I don't know where that comment about his eye being too big in the second panel came from, I don't see it. I mean, I do see what they were talking about, but it looks fine.

I love the new art style and I'm going to let Rick do what he does. I figure he has a reason for doing specific things, and what am I to tell the artist that it's wrong?
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
valerio

Post by valerio »

*raises hand* same here. Rick, just ignore them: Your excellency surpasses any petty nitpicking!
MapleRatty

Post by MapleRatty »

To perfectly honest, I don't care which style you use, it was pretty awesome back then and this style has grown on me.
DingoVolf
Location: It was unwise to wake the 3-eyed cat, but we did it anyways, and now look at us. Whatever you do,

Post by DingoVolf »

Looking at the two different strips posted above made me go back and re-look at a few things, and I think I can actually appreciate the new style a bit more because of it.

Uniformity and professionalism are very good points, and while I like the previous style a little more, the new style (to me) feels more like a genuine article - more like something you would see printed in the Sunday paper. I can also imagine it makes the workflow of making the comic much easier, and while detailed art is wonderful, this work is more a vehicle for a story, and I would much rather like to see the story bloom and prosper than have the art be exactly what I want to see.

Also Rick, sorry to hear people are being butt nuggets about edits and nitpicks and whatnot. That you actively interact with fans, allow fan works, and host quite a nifty community, are very awesome things. Don't let <metaphor for undesirable individuals in an otherwise good collection of things> get you down. :)
Stuff.

Post by Stuff. »

Hmm...yes, comparing the two side by side, this one certainly looks cleaner. Looks better, I'd say.

Keep it uh...keep it up and stuff. Yeah.

>that feel when you have nothing particularly insightful or constructive to say
*cough*
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

I'm liking where the story is going, but I don't like the new artwork for King and Fox. They looked better in the old format. Plus I didn't like to have king's eyes color to be "retconned"
Shameless advertisement of my fanfics: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/880961/Angelus-alvus
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

angelusbr wrote:I'm liking where the story is going, but I don't like the new artwork for King and Fox. They looked better in the old format. Plus I didn't like to have king's eyes color to be "retconned"
What's changed with his eye color?
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

Sleet wrote:
angelusbr wrote:I'm liking where the story is going, but I don't like the new artwork for King and Fox. They looked better in the old format. Plus I didn't like to have king's eyes color to be "retconned"
What's changed with his eye color?
Look at valerio's post above.
Shameless advertisement of my fanfics: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/880961/Angelus-alvus
rickgriffin
Site Admin

Post by rickgriffin »

King has the same eye color

I've increased the pupil size for all eyes for design reasons.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

I think the color only looks different because of the style. because the pupils are bigger and we see less of the iris, it's too small to actually see the color accurately, especially when there's no separation between the iris and the white part.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

rickgriffin wrote:King has the same eye color

I've increased the pupil size for all eyes for design reasons.
I only noticed the blue part after you mentioned it was just an enlaged pupil. But it was after focusing way too hard to see it.
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

I personally love this style much better. The lines I did not notice and I love the backgrounds!! As for the characters, I think they have done nothing but improved. :)

Anywho, I say Bailey and King get into a fight here... King will not be able to let this go without one. It'll probably be chalked up to his own abandonment from his "owner"
My characters
Everybody has a story to tell. What's yours?
justacritic

Post by justacritic »

First style=excellence in detail
New style=excellence in definition
Still I do wonder on the choice of background style, it is a bit cluttered. Hopefully it won't distract focus off of the characters.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

rickgriffin wrote:If you're gonna nitpick, stop pretending the old art was perfect. It was only good as it was because you were used to it.
I remember people being equally nit-picky when you introduced color and rolled out the second version of the Housepets! style. Folks will get over it or get tired of whining. *giggles*

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
_Stu_
Banner Artist

Post by _Stu_ »

rickgriffin wrote:I got a comment about how King looked awful because his eye was too big in the second panel.
There's really someone who focused on a silly detail like this? Geez.
My webcomics! Read and subscribe if you like them (or one of them), and don't forget to vote on TopWebComics!

angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

Well, the background is much better now.
_Stu_ wrote:
rickgriffin wrote:I got a comment about how King looked awful because his eye was too big in the second panel.
There's really someone who focused on a silly detail like this? Geez.
I wasn't the one to say this, but I kinda agree with this comment. I didn't like King's re-design at all. But the story is interesting and that's what counts in the end (see order of the stick for example).
But that's just my personal taste for art. As long as the artist likes it, then other's negative opinion don't mater.
_Stu_
Banner Artist

Post by _Stu_ »

Taste is legit, is anyone's right... but i mean, King's big eyes can be an author decision as they can be something else (a mistake, the author was in hurry or had real life problems etc)

There's a good difference between "unfortunately i don't like it, still prefer the previous one" and "now King looks awful"
My webcomics! Read and subscribe if you like them (or one of them), and don't forget to vote on TopWebComics!