Chat Thread 38: You Guys Are Old

Putting dead threads to bed, Jed

Moderator: ArcWolf

JeffCvt

Re: Chat Thread 38: You Guys Are Old

Post by JeffCvt »

Ummm...

Maybe we don't just post useless posts for the sake of raising our post count?
Jeff "Clavy" Civit

Post by 0404 »

No no no no that's wrongidy wrong.
I just want to have fun talking with ya guys regardless to numbers.
I want this place to be like IM. Conversations are tooo slow, and too professional.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I can start spamming to bolster my post count if you'd like.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Spamming is not required to have serious or rapid-paced discussion. You yourself are the veteran of all the other chat threads. We've never had one last this long (since the original). Did you spam your way through them?

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
The Grey Wolverine

Post by The Grey Wolverine »

Maybe its just that forum activity has gone down a bit? It happens sometimes
Please click this link and support me on FA. http://www.furaffinity.net/user/greywolverene/
MapleRatty

Post by MapleRatty »

...hmmm...oooh I have a topic!

Why are there so many haters of Barney, its really confusing/insane.
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

I personally loved Barney as a kid. Maybe it was just everyone grew up and figured because they were too old to watch the show they should hate on it. I stop watching shows, but I don't say they aren't/weren't good unless I feel they really weren't.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I think it was just that Barney has little to no appeal to children past a certain age, and so it was treated like a rite of passage to not like Barney anymore. Just like some adults will buy a needlessly expensive car to show off that they're successful, I imagine kids tend to turn that lost interest into an intense hate just to show off how "mature" they've become.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!

Post by 0404 »

Barney wasn't a my thing, but the Blues clues was. I used to have a cook with Barney book and now it's gone. That's all, I don't find Barney Bad.
sleety wrote:needlessly expensive
Ummmm that reminds me.. I don't have a watch and I'm thinking about getting myself a Victorinox watch, which is 150 bucks. They are made by the swiss army knife making company and their stuffs are long lasting ones. My Dad finds that it is unneccsary to get a watch that is 150 bucks and told me to get one from Costco, 'around 20 bucks. even though I'm buying one with my own money. Am I a bad kid?
Liam

Post by Liam »

Barney teaches children to pronounce it "zee". Zee...

THAT'S UNACCEPTABLE
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.

Post by 0404 »

Liam wrote:Barney teaches children to pronounce it "zee". Zee...

THAT'S UNACCEPTABLE
Zed eh?
Liam

Post by Liam »

Her Majesty's English shall not be abused by some wayward colony. :3
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.
The Grey Wolverine

Post by The Grey Wolverine »

I pronounce it Zed, and its always fun to bug people
Please click this link and support me on FA. http://www.furaffinity.net/user/greywolverene/
Punchy

Post by Punchy »

texascat018 wrote:Am I a bad kid?
Yes, yes you are.
Now off to bed and no dessert!
(I'm sorry. *gives you a cookie*)
Panda Panda Panda
MapleRatty

Post by MapleRatty »

texascat018 wrote:Barney wasn't a my thing, but the Blues clues was. I used to have a cook with Barney book and now it's gone. That's all, I don't find Barney Bad.
Ummmm that reminds me.. I don't have a watch and I'm thinking about getting myself a Victorinox watch, which is 150 bucks. They are made by the swiss army knife making company and their stuffs are long lasting ones. My Dad finds that it is unneccsary to get a watch that is 150 bucks and told me to get one from Costco, 'around 20 bucks. even though I'm buying one with my own money. Am I a bad kid?
seems to me if its your money, you can do what you want to it
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

texascat018 wrote:My Dad finds that it is unneccsary to get a watch that is 150 bucks and told me to get one from Costco, 'around 20 bucks. even though I'm buying one with my own money. Am I a bad kid?
While I don't personally see why you would spend that kind of money on a watch because you want one, I don't think your dad should be telling you you can't if it's your own money.

If you want a watch to wear everyday, I would get a cheaper one. Save the expensive one for times when you need to dress up a little, like church.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

texascat018 wrote:My Dad finds that it is unneccsary to get a watch that is 150 bucks and told me to get one from Costco, 'around 20 bucks. even though I'm buying one with my own money. Am I a bad kid?
Is it a n order or is he making a suggestion? If it's a suggestion, I would suggest the same as none of my watches have cost much more than $20, mostly less. If he said it as an order, it's your money, you can do with it as you please.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

My mother always wanted each of her kids to watch a children show when she was raising us. For me, it was the chipmunks ~ she thought their squeaky voices were cute. my sister was Barney also. As for my brother? Spongebob for the most part. Ddin't know any children cartoons around the time he was born, but Spongebob was as close to a children's show he could get at his age, but i recall my mother trying to get him into Dora the Explorer. We're all 8 years apart incase you guys were wondering =P
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Nyaliva

Post by Nyaliva »

I watched Barney on occasion as a kid, but I didn't love it. I think it's the fact that it's the stereotypical kids show, a giant purple dinosaur teaching over-expressive kids how to count. Also, once you grow up, knowing there's an adult man in the Barney suit becomes unsettling...

As for your watch TexasCat, I'd say get it if you really want, I always wanted a pocket watch but they were super expensive, but I would've saved up and bought one had I not found a Doctor Who one for $30 (good quality one too). The only problem I would've had with having an expensive one is I'd be too scared to wear it everyday. I don't often have things break from general wear and tear but Murphy's Law tends to make fools of us.

Is there a picture online where I could see the one you want? Just out of curiosity.
Feel like you need a friend? I'm happy to talk anytime! :D

I'm on DeviantArt now!
Currently working on: "The Warriors" Book
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

My parents didn't really need to force me to watch kid's shows. I still watch some of 'em. The only family unfriendly thing I still watch regularly is South Park and I never even watched that until I was an appropriate age for it.
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

texascat018 wrote:Barney wasn't a my thing, but the Blues clues was. I used to have a cook with Barney book and now it's gone. That's all, I don't find Barney Bad.
Dude I just wasted 30 bucks on a spuds mckenzie snapback.(which amazon will hopefully ship to my paren't place by thanksgiving so I can go be all white-trashy with my mom's extended family) Just tell your dad to be glad you're getting something classy. Plus chicks dig a dude with a nice watch. Das' just science
Liam wrote:Her Majesty's English shall not be abused by some wayward colony. :3
Yo queen's eyes so far apart they call them the wayward colonies. SNAP! :3
Attachments
spuds.jpg
spuds.jpg (225.03 KiB) Viewed 11183 times
Last edited by Seth on Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I think in Non-sequiturs

"I told you not to put metal in the science oven! What'd you do that for?"

Trash boiz
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

Seth wrote:Plus chicks dig a dude with a nice watch. Das' just science
it's true. I had a calculator watch in high school and all the ladies wanted to push my buttons.
though that may have just been because of the novelty of it.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:
Seth wrote:Plus chicks dig a dude with a nice watch. Das' just science
it's true. I had a calculator watch in high school and all the ladies wanted to push my buttons.
though that may have just been because of the novelty of it.
See? Proven testimonail. Or something.
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz

Post by 0404 »

Nyaliva wrote: As for your watch TexasCat, I'd say get it if you really want, I always wanted a pocket watch but they were super expensive, but I would've saved up and bought one had I not found a Doctor Who one for $30 (good quality one too). The only problem I would've had with having an expensive one is I'd be too scared to wear it everyday. I don't often have things break from general wear and tear but Murphy's Law tends to make fools of us.

Is there a picture online where I could see the one you want? Just out of curiosity.
it's a same model of watch that Macgyver used to wear.... some Doctorwho fans spend few hundreds bucks on sonic screw driver. and I'm Macgyver fan so...
JeffCvt wrote: If you want a watch to wear everyday, I would get a cheaper one. Save the expensive one for times when you need to dress up a little, like church.
I kinda don't get it, why would you get a cheaper one for daily use? if you are worried about it breaking, the watch is by Victorinox; Swiss army knife company. Macgyver!!
and I'm big fan of victorinox.
RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote: Is it a n order or is he making a suggestion? If it's a suggestion, I would suggest the same as none of my watches have cost much more than $20, mostly less. If he said it as an order, it's your money, you can do with it as you please.
kinda orderly complain. and he said my allowance came from his pocket... :?
Seth wrote: Dude I just wasted 30 bucks on a spuds mckenzie snapback.(which amazon will hopefully ship to my paren't place by thanksgiving so I can go be all white-trashy with my mom's extended family) Just tell your dad to be glad you're getting something classy. Plus chicks dig a dude with a nice watch. Das' just science
Science rulz! I'm in to fancy classy-military watch. chicks eh? though I'm too nerdy to have chicks around. :( I mean I do have few female friends but not to an extend of hanging out after school.

so, I found a alternative
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/8 ... L1500_.jpg
this one was also worn by Macgyver, it looks really really military, but not too fancy and cheap, just 30 bucks.
ohhhhhh which one should I get? :x
MapleRatty

Post by MapleRatty »

Sleet wrote:My parents didn't really need to force me to watch kid's shows. I still watch some of 'em. The only family unfriendly thing I still watch regularly is South Park and I never even watched that until I was an appropriate age for it.
...wow we're different.

you should get the cheapsr one, it'll probably last longer
Nyaliva

Post by Nyaliva »

That Victorinox watch looks really nice, and actually really sturdy, although it seems $150 is a bit much for it. I don't love the khaki on the other one but it looks very good and similarly sturdy, if it's $30 I'd probably go for it.

BUT that's my choice.
Feel like you need a friend? I'm happy to talk anytime! :D

I'm on DeviantArt now!
Currently working on: "The Warriors" Book
sonic id furreh!!!

Post by sonic id furreh!!! »

i have a watch like the last one except it's a clock and it's radioactive and glowing
FritzyBeat

Post by FritzyBeat »

Sleet wrote:Sonic has been around over 20 years. He started out extremely popular and he's held on to a good amount of that popularity ever since. Needless to say, there has been significant opportunity for different media. On top of that, two cartoons were made in the '90s, as well as a comic book series. One of the series and the comic book (which are essentially the same continuity) are very well-done and have established a very big universe with a lot of characters and plot lines, many of which the games don't even get involved with. So needless to say, the fanbase has a lot to latch onto.
*massive sonic fan walks in*
Just to correct you, there were actually 3 sonic TV shows in the 90s, and one OVA as well
"Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog"
"Sonic the Hedgehog (SatAM)"
"Sonic Underground"
and "Sonic The Hedgehog the Movie (OVA)"

Sonic has also since had one more TV show this decade in the form of "Sonic X"

There have also been two respective comic books, the Fleetway and the Archie series.
The Archie "Sonic the Hedgehog" Comics are closing in on 250 issues, as well as about 200 issues-worth of spin-off series (one of which, Sonic Universe, is still ongoing)
The Fleetway comics "Sonic the Comic" had about 184 issues of new story, then 40ish (?) issues of reprints. The comic has since gotten its own official online continuation in the form of StCO (Sonic the Comic online)

and thats not to mention all the Sonic games SEGA has released.
*puts on sonic hat and walks out*
Fino is coming, and he's bringing moon pizza.
MapleRatty

Post by MapleRatty »

TheMobian wrote: Just to correct you, there were actually 3 sonic TV shows in the 90s, and one OVA as well
"Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog"
"Sonic the Hedgehog (SatAM)"
"Sonic Underground"
and "Sonic The Hedgehog the Movie (OVA)"
To add on that OVA, rumor has it(untill it was more or less confirmed) that the OVA was actually meant to be an entire TV series, but the first two episodes(the OVA) did poorly with the test audience. So the writers said "Forget it. We'll just slap these two episodes together, and call it a Movie."

The reason why it did so poorly: nobod knows, but my guess is the audience thought it was just for kids(which it was, but it was also for teens and adults), and were appauled at the GCPTR moments(you know the ones 8-) )and reacted poorly. Poor Communication canceled it, in a nutshell.

So to reiterate: because of poor communication(it was meant for all ages, particularly teens, but the audience didnt know that) killed a to-be-series where Knuckles was an AWESOME treasure hunter, Sonic and Tails ACTUALLY ARGUED from time to time, AND THERE WAS A CAT-GIRL ...waaahh.. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Post by 0404 »

sure, I'll get Kakhi one. either way, it's both used by macgyver so, :D
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Sometimes I wonder what the VA of cartoon characters being put into awkward romantic situations feel like =P

Just read yesterday's newspapers... Almost every newspaper comic pretty much talked about how our lives are ruled by Facebook, MySpace, Skype and Twitter. When even Blondie talks about Skype, it feels silly.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

It's already silly enough that Blondie is still being written. :P
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Sometimes I think about how much better my life would be without facebook and it makes me sad.
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

I don't bother with any of that social media stuff. I have a phone and an E-mail. If you want to talk, call, text, or E-mail me. It makes it so much easier if only people I give this stuff to can talk to me. And people I don't know can't get my personal information either.
Last edited by JeffCvt on Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

I like to talk to people on my games the most. I sometimes use MSN, but i realized i'm not good at multitasking chat. But hey, at least you get my undivided attention :)
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Facebook makes me happier. I think I'm one of the few people who can say that. I like being able to be in touch with my friends, even if it's just in small doses.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

I don't mind Facebook, it's just not my type of thing. My family uses it almost everyday though on the PCs and the rest of the family is on it, so it makes them happy to keep in touch when far away.

Post by 0404 »

I only use FB to lurk around. and I'm not big fan of it, I just have it cuz everyone else has one.
even though everything went techy tech tech, I still use notebook to remind myself instead of using Reminder app.
that's my handy dandy notebook...
MapleRatty

Post by MapleRatty »

Texascat used *Nostalgia blast*!

It's super effective! :lol:

...I always feel sad looking back at those cartoons, the ones you watch for nostalgia and relize how how people who watch that stuff when past a certain age group are instantly put into "that weird kid who we should all avoid" group unfairly for liking what they like, one of the reasons why I don't alot in school :evil: :x :evil: :x
McFly

Post by McFly »

Sleet wrote:I like being able to be in touch with my friends, even if it's just in small doses.
I don't even use it for that anymore. All I do now is 'Like' random pictures.