Pete = VICTIM?!

Discuss the comic here
PhoenixAsper

Pete = VICTIM?!

Post by PhoenixAsper »

I don't believe I'm actually saying this. :?

Pete may not actually be a VILLAIN per se, but more like a jaded, selfish, desperate, cynical, pointy-eared old grouch. And he might have been DRIVEN to it. Think about when he said "no matter what I do, the mortals get their happily ever afters" (as I heard). It's almost as if he might be saying "what about ME, huh?! :x Where's MY happy ending?!". He could be jealous that HE doesn't get one, and I mean, thousands of years locked in a temple or being trapped in a mortal body for one lifetime could DO that to someone. What's more, he doesn't seem to want to WAIT for anything, hence his dread of being outside subjective time: with that, he NEVER has to wait for anything. He could have actually been a more okay sort once, and his bad experiences and possibly even hurt turned him into this. It's like he's fed up with having to "deal with it", and is looking for a way, any way, out.

It still doesn't excuse what he's done to King, or his lies to Mr. Milton, and I still am angry at him as a character for that, but I think I might understand him a little better. He's an immortal nerd who's had rotten luck that may have turned him into a jerk, and Dragon isn't helping matters, he's in trouble with the big authorities, and he's facing the possibility of having to be FORCED to wait on objective time again, like he may have in the temple.

Wow. Even the CELESTIAL creatures have a world that sucks, to some degree. :? :( :?
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Re: Pete = VICTIM?!

Post by copper »

Eh, I think Pete is just miffed because Dragon played a good spell and locked him up so early. Now he's desperate to get back up to stand a chance against her.
My characters
Everybody has a story to tell. What's yours?
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Being a villain and a victim are not mutually exclusive. That said, I have to agree with Copper's interpretation. He's got some forces against him, but he's still seriously reacting wrong.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
PhoenixAsper

Post by PhoenixAsper »

Don't misunderstand me, I still think he's definitely causing more harm than good, possibily ruining more than ONE living thing's well-being whether he intends it or not, and his lies and manipulations are hurting others, he has to be stopped.

I'm saying that I kind of get why he's acting the way he is, seeing as he's facing the possibility of what amounts to Purgatory. :? What would we do to avoid that?
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Except he got him self in this situation by agreeing to the rules of the game. Hes messing with a guy who did not and does not want to play so he can win the U&U game, which I will remind you is only one game that is going on right now there is a second one that we know nothing about. So no I don't really have any sympathy for Pete (or Dragon for that matter) because everything that happened to him is his own stupid fault. Heck that's not even counting the fact that the whole reason any of this is happening is completely petty and stupid in the first place.
MilesKingford

Post by MilesKingford »

Pete is not all that bad. Its not like Pete is intentionally evil, he just has a different way of doing things, and considering he is an immortal lifeform with seemingly limitless power he could have been so much worse. Besides, being an immortal lifeform that has possibly seen generation after generation of mortals live and die, you would start to view mortal life with some inferiority since they are so limited. I think Pete views his use of mortals in the same light as our use of robots, they are a tool to be used and nothing more.
PhoenixAsper

Post by PhoenixAsper »

Which is still quite horrible, and he has to be prevented from doing so, but I can understand his desperation and methods, considering what he is.
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

I still think the actions of the game have no real bearing on the reality of this universe. The movements of it are for the purpose of the game, and once it is finished, everything involving the game, whatever events were changed, revert back to what they were before it. If it is viewed in this light, then Pete's actions are a bit different. If you knew your actions had no bearing on the ultimate reality, then you would probably do some crazy things to win the game too, especially considering the consequences of losing... :?
My characters
Everybody has a story to tell. What's yours?
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

Pete's not as big of a jerk as people think he is. He's selfish but that's not uncommon among immortal creatures. But he does have emotions and such, just like mortals do.

And that's all i'm going to say on this subject.
Red Ryu

Post by Red Ryu »

Neither side is good or evil.