If two pets had a kid...?

Putting dead threads to bed, Jed

Moderator: ArcWolf

JageshemashFTW

If two pets had a kid...?

Post by JageshemashFTW »

What would happen to him/her? The only parent figure we've seen in the comics, aside from the wolves, are the human owners of the pets. So if two pets were to hypothetically have a child, what would become of that child? Would it get immediately put up for adoption in some kennel to be adopted by some humans? Would the biological parents raise it?
Welcome to HexCom: viewtopic.php?t=5602
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Re: If two pets had a kid...?

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

I assume it would depend on the owners. If they can't afford to raise puppies or kittens, or if they just don't want to, they'd probably put it up for adoption, just like in the real world. but a lot of the owners in Babylon Gardens would probably keep them and let the biological parents raise them as far as I can tell.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

It's probably just like in the real world, only killing them doesn't actually happen.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

I'm going with the theory that if you're classified as a pet, the owners got the right to do whatever they want with the litter as opposed to being feral. Babylon Garden was noted by Jill and Earl as being very pet friendly, so I'm sure most owners wouldn't object to the idea of keeping the new born pups/kittens. So far that's the only good perk about being Feral as opposed to being a pet in my opinion, but like i said, i'm sure a good portion of the parents would actually not have an issue with litters, especially since they know their pets beforehand.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur

Post by 0404 »

My biggest question in my Housepets life.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

it equals nothing. Biology doesn't work that way.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets

Post by 0404 »

exactly, that is why I'm asking. it's a fictional world and it may not work as how real world would work. but yeah, chances are... seems like that's a clear negative.
Gren

Post by Gren »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:it equals nothing. Biology doesn't work that way.
well, since this is a cartoon you shouldn't take this as a fact. After all, when I started to read this comic I wasn't expected to see gods, magic, the heaven and stuff, so to me thinking in the posibility is not illogical at all. Besides, they always can adopt (if their owners allow it)
ImageImage
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Half-cat, half-dog hybrids seems like something kinda silly and out of the realm of Housepets! No mortals have biology that doesn't either exist in the real world or contribute to anthropomorphism.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

At the very least, it would follow the fictional laws of cartoonism and go with the dominant parent rule: personality and looks. But i would say even Fido and Sabrina would take the more realistic approach and assume they would adopt if they really wanted to have children.
Gren

Post by Gren »

I don't like you use biology as excuse to say this is impossible to happen when in fact we are talking about a "fictional world". How can you say that after seeing a lot of biology impossibilities? obviating the anthropomorphism, how biological possible you could consider to a purple cat? And besides that is the fact that a little female kitten defeat a hungry alligator and a healthy adult human with a shotgun. I not even want to think how many physic laws was broken there (just to say).

However I understand your point, this kind of creatures don't fit with the comic itself. It just I prefer say this and not put any kind of logical excuse, because "this is a FICTION" and sometimes the laws that governing our world could be overlooked or simply ignored here.

Leaving this aside, I think we never going to see any character having children (at least none of main characters) because it could ruin the personality of the characters. Practically all of them are childish so if they have kids it could mean a big change, starting to act more mature and fatherly/motherly. To me this only can happen at the end of the comic.

And about the Sabrina/Fido relationship, I think that even if they could have children naturally, the more probably is that Sabrina is going to find some stray kitten/puppie and decides to raise him/her (convincing Fido and her owner with her puppy eyes first of course XD)

P.S.: Maybe hybrid animals doesn't exist in our world (at least not naturally), but there's some animals really close to this (like platypus and hyenas). I think we have to be more open minded because science doesn't know everything.
ImageImage
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Gren wrote:I don't like you use biology as excuse to say this is impossible to happen when in fact we are talking about a "fictional world". How can you say that after seeing a lot of biology impossibilities?
Grape having purple fur wouldn't technically be a biological imposibility since it was used before. If blue foxes exist, purple cats can too. =P
Gren wrote:P.S.: Maybe hybrid animals doesn't exist in our world (at least not naturally), but there's some animals really close to this (like platypus and hyenas). I think we have to be more open minded because science doesn't know everything
From my experience though, the idea of introducing cat/dog hybrids into art is both a blessing and a curse. If you think you can draw a realistic interpertation without making it look creepy, go for it. That's the double edged coin here when we get into this area of thinking, however.

Post by 0404 »

*round of applause to Gren*
Solution!
and to be realistic
Edit: what? what? what is that green face? image source technical difficulty?
http://graphics1.snopes.com/photos/anim ... liger1.jpg
liger (lion+tiger) exist. as many of you know.
Last edited by 0404 on Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

I know, Texas. I had to be reminded of that picture =P

If you really want to indulge in the idea, however... dogs with cat claws? cats with dog tails? dogs with cat fur? i rather not think of it so cut and paste though. I like it when they get truly unique in ways, like dogs with fluffier fur and cat eyes.
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

Half cat, half dog hybrids do not exist in Housepets. Housepets is based large on the real world, with a few changes.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Foxstar wrote:Half cat, half dog hybrids do not exist in Housepets. Housepets is based large on the real world, with a few changes.
Thank you, Foxstar. @_@
Gren

Post by Gren »

*sigh* seriously guys, listen, I know I am a hispanic and maybe that's the reason you can't understand me clearly, but sometimes it seems I'm talking in chinese (because you don't get nothing what I'm talking about).
You don't get my point. Listen, I'm with you guys, I don't think hybrids animals could exist in housepets universe (and personally I don't want it neither, and the same I think about central characters having kids).
The only think I differ is that I don't put the excuse of "logic" in something that doesn't have it. This is a fiction and that's means it's "not real". When it gets unrealistic? At the first time that appear something that don't have logic in our world. Like what? bipedal and sapiens animals. Obviating biology, what else? gods, demigods, magic. Obviating theology, what else? Inter-species relationships. Obviating common sense, what else? Well, I think with this is more that enough, but if you want more, just ask it and I can do a long list (though reluctantly because I don't like to write a wall of text, specially in other language).

The funny part is that this always happen to me in all the things I read. At some point I always have the same discusion.
I'm gonna put you a example to get my point more easily. What happen if I compare this comic with Bleach? You probably could say "No, both are totally different" but the reality is that both have the same base: normal things with abnormal things. In Bleach exist a normal world where the characters have a normal life, go to school, hang out with friends and stuff. But at the same time exist other worlds, monsters, transformations and some characters have special powers meanwhile others still normals. If you analyze, it's pretty much the same thing (well, just the bases XD). So, if you consider Bleach as unrealistic then you have to do the same with Housepets.

I hope this time I have been clearer. In short, I don't like to say this couldn't happen for logic matters because this is a fiction, and if this kind of strange things could happen it only depends of the author decision. That's why I preffer to say this couldn't happen because "it doesn't fit with the comic".

@GameCobra: blue foxes? what are you saying bro? That's just a name, they are not really blue. Like green monkeys and so many other species.

@texascat: ligers were created by genetic engineering. What are you suggesting? :?
And this is for you ;)

ImageImage
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Within every fictional universe there exists its own set of logic, rules, and values that the author usually sticks to. It allows the story to make sense in itself. Wildly changing fictions are not considered good, and usually remain unread. People keep saying it will not happen and does not make sense because the rules of this fictional universe forbid it. You are right in thinking that anything could technically happen, but you are oversimplifying. Rick is a good writer, he would not mess with his universe that much. He might bend or clarify the rules, but they remain stable, just as Bleach and every other good story. Just because it is fiction does not mean logic no longer exists, it just exists in a different, fluid yet rigid form. :|
My characters
Everybody has a story to tell. What's yours?
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

BLASPHEMY! I dare not think about it.
A stork comes and rids the baby.
Gren

Post by Gren »

copper wrote:Within every fictional universe there exists its own set of logic, rules, and values that the author usually sticks to. It allows the story to make sense in itself. Wildly changing fictions are not considered good, and usually remain unread. People keep saying it will not happen and does not make sense because the rules of this fictional universe forbid it. You are right in thinking that anything could technically happen, but you are oversimplifying. Rick is a good writer, he would not mess with his universe that much. He might bend or clarify the rules, but they remain stable, just as Bleach and every other good story. Just because it is fiction does not mean logic no longer exists, it just exists in a different, fluid yet rigid form. :|
You explain perfectly what I was trying to say. Yes, of course Housepets have its own logic, rules, etc., and the same is with all stories. The point was that not always the logic of these coincide with the logic of reality, and what make me get on my nerves is when people take too serious this and think that both are the same when clearly is not. Rules and laws of a fiction universe not always are all clear and sometimes they can evolve (the opossite of reality laws, which are known and constant).
As a example is the insertion of gods and magic into the comic. At first you could said that the laws in the comic about this were the same as those of our universe, but when Pete, Tarot and other characters appear this laws evolved in a way that can allow it, remaining logic in Housepets universe but gaining illogic in our world (the real world).
And if you want an external example is the case in Dragon Ball about flying technique, when at first it was pretty impossible to all characters have this power but eventually this changed and became something canon of the series.

I don't want to expand this more of what is already done, so it's better if I cut it here. I hope I have clarified it right this time
ImageImage
valerio

Post by valerio »

the rule of 'real' was cracked when mythological, omnipotent magical beings started messing with mortals.
At this point, without precipitating into anarchy debate, it's safe to assume that one 'miracle' is possible. (especially considering that Sabrina has the right friends in high places!)
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

but her friends in high places are the type that probably wouldn't want to do something that breaks the universes natural laws to that degree.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
valerio

Post by valerio »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:but her friends in high places are the type that probably wouldn't want to do something that breaks the universes natural laws to that degree.
That's why they are called 'miracles'. They are unique, and happen once in many lifetimes. Now, doing it worldwide for everyone would be a severe violation of mommy nature's rules
Gren

Post by Gren »

you certainly have a point there
ImageImage
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Gren wrote:@GameCobra: blue foxes? what are you saying bro? That's just a name, they are not really blue. Like green monkeys and so many other species.
I'm not saying they are real, but in fiction? They exist. I'm just saying when we talked about biology as a defense, i'm talking about in the sense of biological fiction, not real biology. I should've emphasized that. Krystal for example from Star Fox is a blue vixen to Grape's purple cat, so i ruled that excuse as a reason biology could exist in the housepets universe.

As for Valerio's miracle idea, that's also a strong example of going into the safe limits of the comic as well, so i would say for Sabrina and Fido's case, that could very well be a solution to the dilema. As for an excuse, Fido and Sabrina i'm sure would easily bring up Dragon or even Pete as the reason for it and get away with it, if people believed it, which is another story altogether.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Arctic foxes are actually somewhat blue in the summer.
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

I'm inclined to believe that that has more to do with lighting than an actual shift of the foxes' fur color.

And since there's not much else to say on the original topic, I'd like to believe that King and Bailey are totally gonna have poppies at some point in the future.
"When you're falling in a forest and there's nobody around,
do you ever really crash or even make a sound?"
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

...the day that happens I'm not reading Housepets anymore.
Gren

Post by Gren »

Wanderer wrote:...the day that happens I'm not reading Housepets anymore.
said it the one who like King and Fox as a couple ¬¬
ImageImage
valerio

Post by valerio »

KJOokami wrote:I'm inclined to believe that that has more to do with lighting than an actual shift of the foxes' fur color.

And since there's not much else to say on the original topic, I'd like to believe that King and Bailey are totally gonna have poppies at some point in the future.
they totally must! Especially now that there is x-tra cuteness added to the new design!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D
CORGSKY FTW! 8-)
MapleRatty

Post by MapleRatty »

valerio wrote:
KJOokami wrote:I'm inclined to believe that that has more to do with lighting than an actual shift of the foxes' fur color.

they totally must! Especially now that there is x-tra cuteness added to the new design!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D
CORGSKY FTW! 8-)
...Corgsky is possibly the most fun word EVAH!

kitty and puppy hybrids, set only to the world of fanfiction unfortanately, but we can content ourselves on that, because tey are all awesome!
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

Gren wrote:
Wow. What does that have to do with anything? ¬¬
Gren

Post by Gren »

Wanderer wrote:
Gren wrote:
Wow. What does that have to do with anything? ¬¬
Has your comment had to be so aggressive? It's fine if you don't like it, but at least don't go saying that like it's the more disgusting thing that you've ever heard, because I could say the same with that liking you have (and I've never done that before). So, be more tolerant.
ImageImage
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Guys, knock it off.
Red Ryu

Post by Red Ryu »

Seems like this comic treats some aspects normally, Grape was at the shelter and if Peanut was part of a litter, he certainly doesn't know his brothers/sisters or parents. So it's likely he was bought from a pet store, if they have them around more, or they got him from some other source.

I mean yeah it is a fictional world, but idk why people wanna debate the inter species stuff when it hasn't been seen at all that it's occurred at all.

Until Rick ever puts it in his comic, which at this point I think is out of the question, it's fiction to even the HP world.
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

Alright, I've had enough of this topic. And dude, it may happen. Fox and King are not in love with each other. They like each other as friends. Accept it, deal with it.