You know what, I'm just gonna tell everyone . . .

Discuss the comic here
rickgriffin
Site Admin

You know what, I'm just gonna tell everyone . . .

Post by rickgriffin »

This is a full and complete recap of what you need to know about things that happened in the comic. There is no new information here.

https://www.housepetscomic.com/2012/10/ ... -thus-far/

I'm considering doing a major recap next year with basically this sort of information, but with jokes and characters so it's interesting to listen to.
I'm sure the cold hand of science will be able to overcome his magical powers
Sinder

Re: You know what, I'm just gonna tell everyone . . .

Post by Sinder »

What is Grape's hideous secret?
ImageImage
ImageImage
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

And yet after all these years it's still less long-winded than this. Kudos, Rick! Thanks for the info. I'll admit I was fairly confused about some of the details, myself.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
MapleRatty

Post by MapleRatty »

Thanks Rick, I was kinda confused, but now all the details are in!!! :mrgreen:
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Sinder wrote:What is Grape's hideous secret?
She has a Youtube account.

It's interesting to note though that Sabrina is the successor of Tarot if something happened to her. So now i wonder what would happen if Sabrina suddenly lost the position right away? Cue Peanut giving away all of his possessions and becoming a Monk avatar.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
rickgriffin
Site Admin

Post by rickgriffin »

Sleet wrote:And yet after all these years it's still less long-winded than this. Kudos, Rick! Thanks for the info. I'll admit I was fairly confused about some of the details, myself.
As fond as I am of not having to be told things twice, it gets difficult for me when multiple timelines are involved.

But since I am getting rather loaded with information, Next time U&U stuff comes up in the comic I will do proper recaps, cross my fingers.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

rickgriffin wrote:As fond as I am of not having to be told things twice, it gets difficult for me when multiple timelines are involved.

But since I am getting rather loaded with information, Next time U&U stuff comes up in the comic I will do proper recaps, cross my fingers.
I shall also cross my fingers!
rickgriffin
Site Admin

Post by rickgriffin »

In keeping with clarity, I changed a line in Monday's comic which apparently tripped people up

https://www.housepetscomic.com/2012/10/ ... ral-plane/

Keene's "that" referred to what Pete was talking about in the previous strip, which wasn't terribly helpful.
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Very enlightening on certain points. Now we have a link to give people who ask these questions.
My characters
Everybody has a story to tell. What's yours?
MilesKingford

Post by MilesKingford »

Though Avatar's can not live forever, do they (or can they) have extended lifespans due to their status?
Liam

Post by Liam »

It's A Song of Ice and Fire, only with fluffy pets.

Soooo... if the late Mr. Milton may never interacted with Pete, the promise was passed down by his ancient followers, huh?
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.
Karl

Post by Karl »

rickgriffin wrote:...cross my fingers.
I'm afraid that might be hard. Both of us live on different sides of this planet.
I'm a bookworm!
rickgriffin
Site Admin

Post by rickgriffin »

I've maintained from the beginning that Housepets has been an experiment in storytelling. It still is, and yet it's repeatedly a difficult lesson about what is important to an audience. I have these ideas in my head about what I need to make a story good and palatable, and yet I fall into those same pitfalls a lot of writers do. The part that makes it difficult is that I can only realize the mistake after it has been made, and "fixing" the problem feels doable, but as though it won't change any damage I've done.

For one, I'm almost obsessive about my minimalism. That needs to change. While I personally feel as though I only need to be told things once, I forget that I'm still waist-deep in my own story and the stuff that feels like annoying rehashing to me is necessary for most of the audience. I thought for a while that not explaining it completely would make the story tighter--and while it does, since Housepets is a serial, being TOO tight makes it a difficult hunt-for-the-plot-point for many readers.

For two, my emphasis on plot has taken away from my emphasis on characters. While it has been in the past I have massive trouble with plot arcing, I used to doodle around with characters instead . . . and then I started cutting that stuff in favor of plots. I need to reassert emphasis on characters and interactions and figure out ways to make them stronger.

For three, the big cosmic arc started eating away at the OTHER stuff that makes the comic fun and interesting. I need to find a point of stability in that plot and then stay there for a while, so that I can reassert what the comic started out being--and I hope I can do that in this upcoming Christmas arc, which I have been planning since last Thanksgiving.

I've learned then that just because I have the means to do something in a story setting doesn't mean that I ought to--I did need a bigger something for an overarcing plot but I could have done better than the cosmic arc. So, I think I ought to shift things so that I can wrap up the cosmic arc in the fewest number of steps possible, and get to an overall arc that fits in with the theme of the strip better, which will carry on to the finale.

I think I'll feel better if I do this, and while I worry that the problems its cause can't be taken back, I do at least hope that I can apply the lessons I've learned to my prose stories. Already I've learned what an important thing strong character voice is and have applied this to fix issues in my upcoming story Bravo Charli.

Perhaps I'll make a new jumping-on point for Housepets soon, as a story of refresher rather than a reboot.
valerio

Post by valerio »

I'm sure you can make the right decision.
I've never been to thrilled about the whole cosmic thing, for at times the original concept seems lost to a fantasy epic instead of focusing on the real wonder and beauty: animals evolved and able to interact with us at an intellectual level. And being able to give us a lot of fun and other assorted emotions.
Of course, speaking as a total Grapenutter I too don't want it to be a P&G-focused comic, but even before the cosmic plot there was a lot to do and say.
There's no need to reboot, now that would be the worst possible idea, it's a failure statement and this comic is NOT a failure. Again, it needs to get back to its roots, and the 'big guys' can be occasionally helpful rather than pulling the strings of the fate of the world.
So far, the only good thing that came out of their presence is King. Un-doing him would be really useless and pointless. Just make it so he can build a good life, eventually. As a DOG!
Best
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

well he already said it's not a reboot. Just a point that could act as a starting point if a new reader doesn't want to read through the entire archives.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

You need to do what you feel is best for the comic. One of the things I really love about this comic is the characters and how they interacted, (which I think is the major strong point in the comic) so I'm glad to hear your going to be getting back to that. While I personally don't hate the Cosmic stuff (though I will admit I no longer enjoy it as much as I use to) I think it fell into the same problem a lot of other realistic/semi-realistic genre webcomics fall into (in Housepets case Furry/Slice of Life/Romantic Comedy) it wanted to ramp up the plot but went to big and complicated. And while I personally don't need it I think a new jumping on point would be interesting to see.
valerio

Post by valerio »

...plus, Rick, you always got the perfect starting point.
"GRAAAAPE!"
rickgriffin
Site Admin

Post by rickgriffin »

valerio wrote: There's no need to reboot, now that would be the worst possible idea, it's a failure statement and this comic is NOT a failure. Again, it needs to get back to its roots, and the 'big guys' can be occasionally helpful rather than pulling the strings of the fate of the world.
So far, the only good thing that came out of their presence is King. Un-doing him would be really useless and pointless. Just make it so he can build a good life, eventually. As a DOG!
Best
NOT a reboot. Everything remains canon, and I mean that in a not-DC-Comics sort of way. I might drop a few details, but the general idea is basically "telling Housepets as though it were a new story" but still continuing where I left off.

Post by 0404 »

Myth Busted! wait, that's not a myth.
Anyway, it helped me out a lot, I was really confused for previous few months but not anymore.
Gren

Post by Gren »

Well, I don't know if I get all what you say (have mercy, at least I don't talk like a indian XD), but I can say you've been doing well so far, so you don't have to feel that way.
I'll feel the same way as valerio about the cosmic plot, it's not a big deal, in fact I like it really much, the only flaw that I see is that only involve just a few characters (King, Tarot, Sabrina, Keene and the Cosmic beings) meanwhile the other characters only show up in isolated arcs and if you don't know which are the original concept of the comic you could say they are just filler.
What is missing is to see other characters having their own plots and subplots that transcend the concept of "arc" as a limitation. And not just for Peanut and Grape but also others equally important as Bino, Maxwell and Fido. I'm not saying that I don't like funny arcs (in fact, that was it made me keep reading this comic the first time when I found it), I just saying that it could be awesome if we could see them involved in something more important and serious and not just make us laught.
I'm relieved that you said that the cosmic plot it wasn't the central plot of the comic and that you're working in a bigger plot. Since you've clarified that, I don't think it have to be necessary alter the course of the story and much less a reboot. The cosmic plot is fine as it is, just keep it only for the cosmic beings, their avatars and followers, and for the rest of characters make new ones.

Oh, sorry, I didn't want to tell you how to do your work, just take it as a constructive criticism ;)
see ya
ImageImage
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Well, housepets has been and will be an entertaining comic serial. You have kind of made it into an epic with the cosmic arc, but nothing too bad. I actually like it, though it does seem to have no end....

A rehash, or rebirth? Like how Futurama did at the end of Wild Green Yonder? Now that was n epic end/ beginning... :lol:

I will personaly continue following HP! and love what I am hearing of it.
My characters
Everybody has a story to tell. What's yours?
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Most likely, Copper. I think it'll be something like that too, but another possible detail maybe Saved By The Bell style, where all the pets might have a hangout and the focus of the events comes from there. Though i'm stretching that second theory a bit since we already had that scenario with the neighbourhood, but you never know what Rick has up his sleeve ;)
valerio

Post by valerio »

worst case?
It was all a dream!
...or was it?
Karl

Post by Karl »

When I opened this topic and read whole content, and then read your latest post day ago, I just got stunned. I knew that the Cosmic Nerds stuff is really picking on you recently, but I didn't expect it would give you so much trouble. I read everything and thought about it whole night. Whole.
But I admire that you decided to open yourself and express in public what you currently feel, Mr. Griffin. That required a big amount of bravery, to expose yourself like that. Your speech, your mark on this forum is something I missed for so long. You interacted with us. Again you proved me what I respect you so much.
And to show you that respect, I will also expose my thoughts about your words. They will be honest. And I'm not afraid of judgement that might come.
rickgriffin wrote:I've maintained from the beginning that Housepets has been an experiment in storytelling. It still is, and yet it's repeatedly a difficult lesson about what is important to an audience. I have these ideas in my head about what I need to make a story good and palatable, and yet I fall into those same pitfalls a lot of writers do. The part that makes it difficult is that I can only realize the mistake after it has been made, and "fixing" the problem feels doable, but as though it won't change any damage I've done.
You're a great artist. So far you achieved a lot of things. You run a webcomic that added new standard to artistic world. Your fanbase has over thousand people. Gained awards. Published books. Your name will never be forgotten. But you're also a human being. Just like us. It's normal that you make mistakes. No one is ideal.
It's true that writers fall to pitfalls that are hard to exit. But I don't think that you should look behind yourself. There's always this feeling when you reread your work and say to yourself "now I would do it totally different". But the worst thing is when you go back to change them. At this point the feeling gets stronger and you go back to the same place. And again. And again. It's a never ending cycle that has a strong grasp. Don't look behind yourself. What's done can't be undone and there's no need to worry over that. Just go forward.
You already created a story that a lot of people keep with it for four years. You give people one of the best gifts that an artist can give them, a piece of yourself that is so strong it works on people's imagination. They experience with whole heart what's going on in your imagined universe. They followed you and stick with you.
That's why I also can't understand why you work over changing the artwork style. You like fan art and I'm sure you browse it. Your art is so original, so catchy that people just like to do art based on Housepets. The current art style is incredibly original, it's something that represents you. Whenever people will see it, they will think only about you and what you've done for them. Your current art style allowed you to gain immortality. So why, in my opinion, change something that is already brilliant?
I'm just worried that... those changes will shake the current balance too violently. That it will shatter things I already believe in.
rickgriffin wrote:For one, I'm almost obsessive about my minimalism. That needs to change. While I personally feel as though I only need to be told things once, I forget that I'm still waist-deep in my own story and the stuff that feels like annoying rehashing to me is necessary for most of the audience. I thought for a while that not explaining it completely would make the story tighter--and while it does, since Housepets is a serial, being TOO tight makes it a difficult hunt-for-the-plot-point for many readers.
Minimalism is something that characterizes you. I find the artwork of Housepets! simple, but from that simplicity is being turned into something wonderful by you and you're the only one who knows how to do it right. I'm not sure should you abandon minimalism as it already had an influence on your work. My expressing your minimalism, you show to us that you're being yourself.
rickgriffin wrote:For three, the big cosmic arc started eating away at the OTHER stuff that makes the comic fun and interesting.
What worried me few months ago, when you published The Trial In Heaven arc, was when Dissension posted that opinions about Cosmic Games was making you suffer. Then I understand that it must be bad. The current explanation about Pete and his plans, though helpful, proved me that it is an issue that keeps bugging you.
The only thing I can advice is that maybe you should drop off the Cosmic Games for a long while. Cut it off so we can forget about it for now and focus on comedy - the thing you're really good at. And return to Cosmic games when you will feel that you regain strength to do that. Your story is very wide and you're creative, you can make subplots whenever you wish.

But of course, all what I said is just my subjective opinion. A post from individual. It's not my place to tell you what to do. I'm not the ruler of your conscience. But I had to give you my honest opinion. You deserve it.
But please, think about all of this again.
Best regards, and wish you a lot of health.
I'm a bookworm!
rickgriffin
Site Admin

Post by rickgriffin »

I'm just worried that... those changes will shake the current balance too violently. That it will shatter things I already believe in.
I'm not adding or taking away anything I wouldn't have already done in Housepets's current iteration, except perhaps a few of the design changes. Things are still going to go the direction I've always planned for them.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

rickgriffin wrote:
I'm not adding or taking away anything I wouldn't have already done in Housepets's current iteration, except perhaps a few of the design changes. Things are still going to go the direction I've always planned for them.
That's good, I would hate to think that you weren't doing the story the way you planned it just because of this.
Karl

Post by Karl »

rickgriffin wrote:
Please... don't change Bino's appearance... I love him the way he is now... I don't want him to be fat... I don't want this so terribly much... please, show mercy...
I'm a bookworm!
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

I pointed out in my comment on Rick's deviant art that he may just look chubby because of his slouching posture in that image. I hope that's the case, cause I don't think the pudgy look fits his personality.
however, It would fit Tiger.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

I personally like pudgy Bino he looks adorable.
Red Ryu

Post by Red Ryu »

The only flaw with the Cosmic arc is how isolated it is from everything else.

Take the PeanutxGrape arc that happened earlier before Peanut/Tarot and Grape/Max fully developed and ended with them being, "just friends" but on a happy note for both. That got a lot of characters and situations involved with it and never strayed too far from the main idea behind the comic.

The Cosmic arc's only real flaw, imo, is lacking that larger incorporation the other arcs had. Most of the cast just, isn't there with the arcs. And when some of them are, it's minimally or not playing a major or even minor part at times. If it had more of that, I think it would flow more with the other stories going on. Having an "epic" in housepets is perfectly do-able even at a magical or cosmic level like that arc is trying.

As for dragging...maybe a tad, but it's getting there and I do see a foreseeable end coming, unlike certain Japanese animated shows.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Red Ryu wrote:The only flaw with the Cosmic arc is how isolated it is from everything else.

Take the PeanutxGrape arc that happened earlier before Peanut/Tarot and Grape/Max fully developed and ended with them being, "just friends" but on a happy note for both. That got a lot of characters and situations involved with it and never strayed too far from the main idea behind the comic.

The Cosmic arc's only real flaw, imo, is lacking that larger incorporation the other arcs had. Most of the cast just, isn't there with the arcs. And when some of them are, it's minimally or not playing a major or even minor part at times. If it had more of that, I think it would flow more with the other stories going on. Having an "epic" in housepets is perfectly do-able even at a magical or cosmic level like that arc is trying.

As for dragging...maybe a tad, but it's getting there and I do see a foreseeable end coming, unlike certain Japanese animated shows.
That's a very good point.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
valerio

Post by valerio »

IceKitsune wrote:I personally like pudgy Bino he looks adorable.
his tummy SCREAMS to be scratched :D
Mobyulus

Post by Mobyulus »

I think the recap just confused me. But I've read the comics up till now, so while I don't understand everything I kinda get what's going on. Can't wait till we get back to the story comics, get well soon Rick.
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

We ever going to get more recaps?
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I wouldn't mind getting another large recap either.