This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 36 posts ] 
If two pets had a kid...? 
Author Message

Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:28 pm
Posts: 92
Post If two pets had a kid...?
What would happen to him/her? The only parent figure we've seen in the comics, aside from the wolves, are the human owners of the pets. So if two pets were to hypothetically have a child, what would become of that child? Would it get immediately put up for adoption in some kennel to be adopted by some humans? Would the biological parents raise it?


Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:46 pm
Profile
laughing maniacally
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:42 pm
Posts: 17157
Location: an invisible, flying volcano over Virginia
Post Re: If two pets had a kid...?
I assume it would depend on the owners. If they can't afford to raise puppies or kittens, or if they just don't want to, they'd probably put it up for adoption, just like in the real world. but a lot of the owners in Babylon Gardens would probably keep them and let the biological parents raise them as far as I can tell.

_________________
I'm a shape-shifter. I'm currently in whatever form I feel like
Image
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets


Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:51 pm
Profile YIM
Bringing Foxy Back
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:32 am
Posts: 15547
Location: Nephelokokkygia
Post Re: If two pets had a kid...?
It's probably just like in the real world, only killing them doesn't actually happen.

_________________
Image
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!


Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:21 am
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:27 am
Posts: 3998
Location: Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
Post Re: If two pets had a kid...?
I'm going with the theory that if you're classified as a pet, the owners got the right to do whatever they want with the litter as opposed to being feral. Babylon Garden was noted by Jill and Earl as being very pet friendly, so I'm sure most owners wouldn't object to the idea of keeping the new born pups/kittens. So far that's the only good perk about being Feral as opposed to being a pet in my opinion, but like i said, i'm sure a good portion of the parents would actually not have an issue with litters, especially since they know their pets beforehand.

_________________
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Image


Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:49 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:02 pm
Posts: 1686
Images: 2
Location: Manisnowba Canada
Post Re: If two pets had a kid...?
My biggest question in my Housepets life.
Image

_________________
Don't quote me
If you got something to say, you should say it or it's just gonna tear you up inside.
Just call me Winston Frank Marcus True Hyper Dark Chaos Joselito Trey Masuru Walker Texas Cat
Image
Image
Last edited bytexascat018 on empty void of time


Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:19 pm
Profile
laughing maniacally
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:42 pm
Posts: 17157
Location: an invisible, flying volcano over Virginia
Post Re: If two pets had a kid...?
it equals nothing. Biology doesn't work that way.

_________________
I'm a shape-shifter. I'm currently in whatever form I feel like
Image
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets


Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:28 pm
Profile YIM
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:02 pm
Posts: 1686
Images: 2
Location: Manisnowba Canada
Post Re: If two pets had a kid...?
exactly, that is why I'm asking. it's a fictional world and it may not work as how real world would work. but yeah, chances are... seems like that's a clear negative.

_________________
Don't quote me
If you got something to say, you should say it or it's just gonna tear you up inside.
Just call me Winston Frank Marcus True Hyper Dark Chaos Joselito Trey Masuru Walker Texas Cat
Image
Image
Last edited bytexascat018 on empty void of time


Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:35 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:47 pm
Posts: 1177
Location: Argentina
Post Re: If two pets had a kid...?
RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:
it equals nothing. Biology doesn't work that way.


well, since this is a cartoon you shouldn't take this as a fact. After all, when I started to read this comic I wasn't expected to see gods, magic, the heaven and stuff, so to me thinking in the posibility is not illogical at all. Besides, they always can adopt (if their owners allow it)

_________________
ImageImage


Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:05 am
Profile
Bringing Foxy Back
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:32 am
Posts: 15547
Location: Nephelokokkygia
Post Re: If two pets had a kid...?
Half-cat, half-dog hybrids seems like something kinda silly and out of the realm of Housepets! No mortals have biology that doesn't either exist in the real world or contribute to anthropomorphism.

_________________
Image
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!


Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:46 am
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:27 am
Posts: 3998
Location: Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
Post Re: If two pets had a kid...?
At the very least, it would follow the fictional laws of cartoonism and go with the dominant parent rule: personality and looks. But i would say even Fido and Sabrina would take the more realistic approach and assume they would adopt if they really wanted to have children.

_________________
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Image


Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:54 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:47 pm
Posts: 1177
Location: Argentina
Post Re: If two pets had a kid...?
I don't like you use biology as excuse to say this is impossible to happen when in fact we are talking about a "fictional world". How can you say that after seeing a lot of biology impossibilities? obviating the anthropomorphism, how biological possible you could consider to a purple cat? And besides that is the fact that a little female kitten defeat a hungry alligator and a healthy adult human with a shotgun. I not even want to think how many physic laws was broken there (just to say).

However I understand your point, this kind of creatures don't fit with the comic itself. It just I prefer say this and not put any kind of logical excuse, because "this is a FICTION" and sometimes the laws that governing our world could be overlooked or simply ignored here.

Leaving this aside, I think we never going to see any character having children (at least none of main characters) because it could ruin the personality of the characters. Practically all of them are childish so if they have kids it could mean a big change, starting to act more mature and fatherly/motherly. To me this only can happen at the end of the comic.

And about the Sabrina/Fido relationship, I think that even if they could have children naturally, the more probably is that Sabrina is going to find some stray kitten/puppie and decides to raise him/her (convincing Fido and her owner with her puppy eyes first of course XD)

P.S.: Maybe hybrid animals doesn't exist in our world (at least not naturally), but there's some animals really close to this (like platypus and hyenas). I think we have to be more open minded because science doesn't know everything.

_________________
ImageImage


Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:00 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:27 am
Posts: 3998
Location: Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
Post Re: If two pets had a kid...?
Gren wrote:
I don't like you use biology as excuse to say this is impossible to happen when in fact we are talking about a "fictional world". How can you say that after seeing a lot of biology impossibilities?


Grape having purple fur wouldn't technically be a biological imposibility since it was used before. If blue foxes exist, purple cats can too. =P

Gren wrote:
P.S.: Maybe hybrid animals doesn't exist in our world (at least not naturally), but there's some animals really close to this (like platypus and hyenas). I think we have to be more open minded because science doesn't know everything


From my experience though, the idea of introducing cat/dog hybrids into art is both a blessing and a curse. If you think you can draw a realistic interpertation without making it look creepy, go for it. That's the double edged coin here when we get into this area of thinking, however.

_________________
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Image


Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:33 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:02 pm
Posts: 1686
Images: 2
Location: Manisnowba Canada
Post Re: If two pets had a kid...?
*round of applause to Gren*
Solution!
Image
and to be realistic
Edit: what? what? what is that green face? image source technical difficulty?
http://graphics1.snopes.com/photos/anim ... liger1.jpg
liger (lion+tiger) exist. as many of you know.

_________________
Don't quote me
If you got something to say, you should say it or it's just gonna tear you up inside.
Just call me Winston Frank Marcus True Hyper Dark Chaos Joselito Trey Masuru Walker Texas Cat
Image
Image
Last edited bytexascat018 on empty void of time


Last edited by texascat018 on Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.



Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:33 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:27 am
Posts: 3998
Location: Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
Post Re: If two pets had a kid...?
I know, Texas. I had to be reminded of that picture =P

If you really want to indulge in the idea, however... dogs with cat claws? cats with dog tails? dogs with cat fur? i rather not think of it so cut and paste though. I like it when they get truly unique in ways, like dogs with fluffier fur and cat eyes.

_________________
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Image


Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:42 pm
Profile
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:00 am
Posts: 1500
Post Re: If two pets had a kid...?
Half cat, half dog hybrids do not exist in Housepets. Housepets is based large on the real world, with a few changes.


Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:54 am
Profile ICQ YIM
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:27 am
Posts: 3998
Location: Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
Post Re: If two pets had a kid...?
Foxstar wrote:
Half cat, half dog hybrids do not exist in Housepets. Housepets is based large on the real world, with a few changes.


Thank you, Foxstar. @_@

_________________
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Image


Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:23 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:47 pm
Posts: 1177
Location: Argentina
Post Re: If two pets had a kid...?
Image

*sigh* seriously guys, listen, I know I am a hispanic and maybe that's the reason you can't understand me clearly, but sometimes it seems I'm talking in chinese (because you don't get nothing what I'm talking about).
You don't get my point. Listen, I'm with you guys, I don't think hybrids animals could exist in housepets universe (and personally I don't want it neither, and the same I think about central characters having kids).
The only think I differ is that I don't put the excuse of "logic" in something that doesn't have it. This is a fiction and that's means it's "not real". When it gets unrealistic? At the first time that appear something that don't have logic in our world. Like what? bipedal and sapiens animals. Obviating biology, what else? gods, demigods, magic. Obviating theology, what else? Inter-species relationships. Obviating common sense, what else? Well, I think with this is more that enough, but if you want more, just ask it and I can do a long list (though reluctantly because I don't like to write a wall of text, specially in other language).

The funny part is that this always happen to me in all the things I read. At some point I always have the same discusion.
I'm gonna put you a example to get my point more easily. What happen if I compare this comic with Bleach? You probably could say "No, both are totally different" but the reality is that both have the same base: normal things with abnormal things. In Bleach exist a normal world where the characters have a normal life, go to school, hang out with friends and stuff. But at the same time exist other worlds, monsters, transformations and some characters have special powers meanwhile others still normals. If you analyze, it's pretty much the same thing (well, just the bases XD). So, if you consider Bleach as unrealistic then you have to do the same with Housepets.

I hope this time I have been clearer. In short, I don't like to say this couldn't happen for logic matters because this is a fiction, and if this kind of strange things could happen it only depends of the author decision. That's why I preffer to say this couldn't happen because "it doesn't fit with the comic".

@GameCobra: blue foxes? what are you saying bro? That's just a name, they are not really blue. Like green monkeys and so many other species.

@texascat: ligers were created by genetic engineering. What are you suggesting? :?
And this is for you ;)

Image

_________________
ImageImage


Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:17 pm
Profile
Puppy Wrangler
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:18 pm
Posts: 6309
Location: Florida
Post Re: If two pets had a kid...?
Within every fictional universe there exists its own set of logic, rules, and values that the author usually sticks to. It allows the story to make sense in itself. Wildly changing fictions are not considered good, and usually remain unread. People keep saying it will not happen and does not make sense because the rules of this fictional universe forbid it. You are right in thinking that anything could technically happen, but you are oversimplifying. Rick is a good writer, he would not mess with his universe that much. He might bend or clarify the rules, but they remain stable, just as Bleach and every other good story. Just because it is fiction does not mean logic no longer exists, it just exists in a different, fluid yet rigid form. :|

_________________
My characters
Everybody has a story to tell. What's yours?
Image


Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:25 pm
Profile
Post Re: If two pets had a kid...?
BLASPHEMY! I dare not think about it.
A stork comes and rids the baby.


Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:28 pm
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:47 pm
Posts: 1177
Location: Argentina
Post Re: If two pets had a kid...?
copper wrote:
Within every fictional universe there exists its own set of logic, rules, and values that the author usually sticks to. It allows the story to make sense in itself. Wildly changing fictions are not considered good, and usually remain unread. People keep saying it will not happen and does not make sense because the rules of this fictional universe forbid it. You are right in thinking that anything could technically happen, but you are oversimplifying. Rick is a good writer, he would not mess with his universe that much. He might bend or clarify the rules, but they remain stable, just as Bleach and every other good story. Just because it is fiction does not mean logic no longer exists, it just exists in a different, fluid yet rigid form. :|


You explain perfectly what I was trying to say. Yes, of course Housepets have its own logic, rules, etc., and the same is with all stories. The point was that not always the logic of these coincide with the logic of reality, and what make me get on my nerves is when people take too serious this and think that both are the same when clearly is not. Rules and laws of a fiction universe not always are all clear and sometimes they can evolve (the opossite of reality laws, which are known and constant).
As a example is the insertion of gods and magic into the comic. At first you could said that the laws in the comic about this were the same as those of our universe, but when Pete, Tarot and other characters appear this laws evolved in a way that can allow it, remaining logic in Housepets universe but gaining illogic in our world (the real world).
And if you want an external example is the case in Dragon Ball about flying technique, when at first it was pretty impossible to all characters have this power but eventually this changed and became something canon of the series.

I don't want to expand this more of what is already done, so it's better if I cut it here. I hope I have clarified it right this time

_________________
ImageImage


Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:43 am
Profile
Game Master
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 6:53 am
Posts: 14785
Location: Italy
Post Re: If two pets had a kid...?
the rule of 'real' was cracked when mythological, omnipotent magical beings started messing with mortals.
At this point, without precipitating into anarchy debate, it's safe to assume that one 'miracle' is possible. (especially considering that Sabrina has the right friends in high places!)

_________________
Image
Image


Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:09 pm
Profile WWW
laughing maniacally
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:42 pm
Posts: 17157
Location: an invisible, flying volcano over Virginia
Post Re: If two pets had a kid...?
but her friends in high places are the type that probably wouldn't want to do something that breaks the universes natural laws to that degree.

_________________
I'm a shape-shifter. I'm currently in whatever form I feel like
Image
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets


Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:11 pm
Profile YIM
Game Master
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 6:53 am
Posts: 14785
Location: Italy
Post Re: If two pets had a kid...?
RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:
but her friends in high places are the type that probably wouldn't want to do something that breaks the universes natural laws to that degree.

That's why they are called 'miracles'. They are unique, and happen once in many lifetimes. Now, doing it worldwide for everyone would be a severe violation of mommy nature's rules

_________________
Image
Image


Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:18 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:47 pm
Posts: 1177
Location: Argentina
Post Re: If two pets had a kid...?
you certainly have a point there

_________________
ImageImage


Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:56 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:27 am
Posts: 3998
Location: Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
Post Re: If two pets had a kid...?
Gren wrote:
@GameCobra: blue foxes? what are you saying bro? That's just a name, they are not really blue. Like green monkeys and so many other species.


I'm not saying they are real, but in fiction? They exist. I'm just saying when we talked about biology as a defense, i'm talking about in the sense of biological fiction, not real biology. I should've emphasized that. Krystal for example from Star Fox is a blue vixen to Grape's purple cat, so i ruled that excuse as a reason biology could exist in the housepets universe.

As for Valerio's miracle idea, that's also a strong example of going into the safe limits of the comic as well, so i would say for Sabrina and Fido's case, that could very well be a solution to the dilema. As for an excuse, Fido and Sabrina i'm sure would easily bring up Dragon or even Pete as the reason for it and get away with it, if people believed it, which is another story altogether.

_________________
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Image


Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:31 am
Profile
Bringing Foxy Back
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:32 am
Posts: 15547
Location: Nephelokokkygia
Post Re: If two pets had a kid...?
Arctic foxes are actually somewhat blue in the summer.

_________________
Image
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!


Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:56 am
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:36 am
Posts: 1703
Location: New Jersey (The Abyss)
Post Re: If two pets had a kid...?
I'm inclined to believe that that has more to do with lighting than an actual shift of the foxes' fur color.

And since there's not much else to say on the original topic, I'd like to believe that King and Bailey are totally gonna have poppies at some point in the future.

_________________
~Proud owner of the 2011 Post of the Year Award~

| It's an INSANITY thing; you wouldn't understand. |

Ponies.


Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:20 pm
Profile
Post Re: If two pets had a kid...?
...the day that happens I'm not reading Housepets anymore.


Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:39 pm
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:47 pm
Posts: 1177
Location: Argentina
Post Re: If two pets had a kid...?
Wanderer wrote:
...the day that happens I'm not reading Housepets anymore.


said it the one who like King and Fox as a couple ¬¬

_________________
ImageImage


Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:59 am
Profile
Game Master
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 6:53 am
Posts: 14785
Location: Italy
Post Re: If two pets had a kid...?
KJOokami wrote:
I'm inclined to believe that that has more to do with lighting than an actual shift of the foxes' fur color.

And since there's not much else to say on the original topic, I'd like to believe that King and Bailey are totally gonna have poppies at some point in the future.

they totally must! Especially now that there is x-tra cuteness added to the new design!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D
CORGSKY FTW! 8-)

_________________
Image
Image


Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:51 am
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:14 pm
Posts: 840
Location: None of your buisness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Post Re: If two pets had a kid...?
valerio wrote:
KJOokami wrote:
I'm inclined to believe that that has more to do with lighting than an actual shift of the foxes' fur color.

And since there's not much else to say on the original topic, I'd like to believe that King and Bailey are totally gonna have poppies at some point in the future.

they totally must! Especially now that there is x-tra cuteness added to the new design!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D
CORGSKY FTW! 8-)
...Corgsky is possibly the most fun word EVAH!

kitty and puppy hybrids, set only to the world of fanfiction unfortanately, but we can content ourselves on that, because tey are all awesome!

_________________
Life is like a fairy tale... a pretty grim one, but a fairy tale still
Image
Image
Image
I LIKE Image!!!


Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:49 am
Profile
Post Re: If two pets had a kid...?
Gren wrote:
Wanderer wrote:
...the day that happens I'm not reading Housepets anymore.


said it the one who like King and Fox as a couple ¬¬


Wow. What does that have to do with anything? ¬¬


Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:37 pm
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:47 pm
Posts: 1177
Location: Argentina
Post Re: If two pets had a kid...?
Wanderer wrote:
Gren wrote:
Wanderer wrote:
...the day that happens I'm not reading Housepets anymore.


said it the one who like King and Fox as a couple ¬¬


Wow. What does that have to do with anything? ¬¬


Has your comment had to be so aggressive? It's fine if you don't like it, but at least don't go saying that like it's the more disgusting thing that you've ever heard, because I could say the same with that liking you have (and I've never done that before). So, be more tolerant.

_________________
ImageImage


Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:14 am
Profile
Bringing Foxy Back
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:32 am
Posts: 15547
Location: Nephelokokkygia
Post Re: If two pets had a kid...?
Guys, knock it off.

_________________
Image
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!


Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:51 am
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:05 pm
Posts: 37
Post Re: If two pets had a kid...?
Seems like this comic treats some aspects normally, Grape was at the shelter and if Peanut was part of a litter, he certainly doesn't know his brothers/sisters or parents. So it's likely he was bought from a pet store, if they have them around more, or they got him from some other source.

I mean yeah it is a fictional world, but idk why people wanna debate the inter species stuff when it hasn't been seen at all that it's occurred at all.

Until Rick ever puts it in his comic, which at this point I think is out of the question, it's fiction to even the HP world.


Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:01 am
Profile
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:00 am
Posts: 1500
Post Re: If two pets had a kid...?
Wanderer wrote:
...the day that happens I'm not reading Housepets anymore.


Alright, I've had enough of this topic. And dude, it may happen. Fox and King are not in love with each other. They like each other as friends. Accept it, deal with it.


Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:23 am
Profile ICQ YIM
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 36 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
  • Advertisement
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software for PTF.