25%
Yes
75%

Total votes: 348

Wanderer

Re: Are You A Furry?

Post by Wanderer »

Furries amuse me. I'm glad they exist.
Seriously, go to a full furry community. You'll have a bunch of laughs.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Most of them terrify me.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

C'mon Sleet where's your sense of morbid curiosity?
I agree wih wanderer some of the more extreme aspects of the community can be hilarious (though terrifying is often also a fitting adjective)
I think in Non-sequiturs

"I told you not to put metal in the science oven! What'd you do that for?"

Trash boiz
The Grey Wolverine

Post by The Grey Wolverine »

I'd hide my kits from some parts of the community.
Please click this link and support me on FA. http://www.furaffinity.net/user/greywolverene/
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I don't intend to introduce them to the fandom at all. If they discover it on their own, fine, but I don't think it's necessary.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!

Post by 0404 »

Since my brother is exposed to furry fadom enviorment (because I am intrested in it). I think he might be furry in decent future. He reads anthro comic and I think he is not that far from discovering the Fur Fandom. ''ll see...
Tho I don't want him to be one... I don't know why.
Nyaliva

Post by Nyaliva »

It's likely a combination of individuality and protection. You don't want him to be following you around trying too hard to be a furry with you and like you, making it seem annoying and remove all the meaning out of the fursona you've made for yourself. On another note, you grew up liking anthro a certain way and your liking of anthro developed in such a way that you avoided the less seemly side of the fandom, however you can't be sure the same will happen for your brother, so best he stayed away from it.

I'd never introduce my kids to the fandom itself, they'll likely find it on their own, but I don't see anything wrong with introducing them to the medium. I mean, how many books were read to us as kids that had talking animals? I'll simply have books that they can read past age 5.
Feel like you need a friend? I'm happy to talk anytime! :D

I'm on DeviantArt now!
Currently working on: "The Warriors" Book
NightFox

Post by NightFox »

yes
and I guess you could say I am a german shepherd. but not literally at all, because dogs can't type
there is no such thing as luck. if there was, there would surely be at least one person with all of it, and nothing bad would happen to them ever. but as far as I can tell, bad things happen to everyone.
DingoVolf
Location: It was unwise to wake the 3-eyed cat, but we did it anyways, and now look at us. Whatever you do,

Post by DingoVolf »

Sleet wrote:Most of them terrify me.
Most of humanity is fairly scary, furs just tend to wear their hearts/souls/pants on their sleeves, so their idiosyncrasies are a bit more obvious if not glaring. The all-inclusiveness can also be an issue, but just like any other collection of people, you filter through the jerks, weirdos, buttheads and creeps, and you'll find some downright awesome folks.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I just got an image of some furries wearing pant legs over their arms and flailing around.

HEY YOU. STOP THAT. PUT THEM ON RIGHT.
DingoVolf
Location: It was unwise to wake the 3-eyed cat, but we did it anyways, and now look at us. Whatever you do,

Post by DingoVolf »

Sleet wrote:HEY YOU. STOP THAT. PUT THEM ON RIGHT.

Will you still love, like, tolerate me? :D
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Sleet has one gray eye.

Also, I'm pretty sure that's not what she meant.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

The Grey Wolverine wrote:I'd hide my kits from some parts of the community.
I'd shove my kids at those parts of the community and leave them there.
But that's if I had kids. I don't want any kids, I hate them!
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

That picture is lovely, though the eye is wrong like Diss said.

I love the tail coming out of the heck hole.
Luvindonesia

Post by Luvindonesia »

i'm just wondering here what is the difference between a furry lifestyler and a furry?
we always have a choice in life so choose wisely and always believed in the choices you've made.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I honestly have no idea what a furry lifestyler is other than someone who takes the furry fandom too seriously.
DingoVolf

Post by DingoVolf »

Back in the day, a furry lifestyler was usually someone who might act out as an animal or feel some deeper connection to animals, where a furry could just be someone who just thought anthro critters were pretty neat, collected some art and liked to talk about Lion King. Lifestylers weren't usually (nor on average considered themselves as) 'weres' or serious animal spiritualists, but tended to be into the whole anthropomorphic idea, and take it more to heart in their daily lives more than your average fan.

Keep in mind that you ask 100 people about what defines one aspect of furryness from another, and you will get well over 200 different opinions. :)

Also, Sleet, on the 20 mins I doodled that thing on my phone, all the ref I had was that androgyny sig banner that sometimes comes up under yer posts. :) I'll fix it when I put it up on FA if that's cool. (also which eye?)
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

My right eye is grey.
The Grey Wolverine

Post by The Grey Wolverine »

I am not your eye! *shot*
Please click this link and support me on FA. http://www.furaffinity.net/user/greywolverene/
mrsticky005

Post by mrsticky005 »

I am most definitely NOT a furry and as spokesperson for the Fuzzy Wuzzy Sluzzy? Foundation
I am going to have to ask all of you who have most outrageously violated Section 9 of the
Teddy Graham Convention of 1772 to please return your glitter papers and have your tonsils promptly removed. If you are unable to do so due to a condition uncommonly known as
FurcyclatronicJetskifurryitis you may be eligible for Free Housing in the Jamarmaladelly Dimension.

Thank you for your cooperation
and remember spit twice thrice spat it's a dog not a cat.

...Except after C.
MilesKingford

Post by MilesKingford »

Seth wrote:http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/indoctrinate

Indoctrination implies some kind of active attempt to push someone towards a certain idea (or interest in this case) If the hypothetical parent was to push the child towards furry related media and items you would have a point. Simply enjoying something and having items related to that interest around the home could hardly be considered indoctrination. For example, My father used to watch alot of hockey and listen to metal. I was exposed to those things because we lived in the same house and I ended up enjoying them. However there was no attempt to pressure or convince me to like those things. That can hardly be considered indoctrination as much as me being a product of my environment. These ideas are somewhat similar but since my parents never pushed me too like any of the things I do and let me create my own identity (which is pretty much what sleet said he/she would do) I would hardly consider myself a victim of any sort of indoctrination weak or otherwise. Even if we were to assume that your definition of "weak indoctrination" as something that should be "the sort of thing people should think about and be aware of" what exactly would you propose? Parents hide all their interests so they don't influence their children's development? That's impossbile; all people have different interests/morals/philosophies/ect. that will inevitably be part of a child's environment. I think you're working with a flawed overly simplified definition of indoctrination here. At least to me it sounds like you're just reiterating the point that a child's environement has an effect on it. However that is a passive effect wheras indoctrination requires an active attempt.
Indoctrination does not have to be something strong or overwhelming, it just needs the presence of the intention. If you have material about your home, like furry stuff, thinking that your child might adopt a particular idea from them, like becoming a furry, then you are obviously indirecting influencing the ideas that child gains, you know it could happen so by allowing it you intend it to happen. After all, would you leave racist or homophobic material about your home where your children would find them? And if not, why not? If you truly think they are capable of having their own ideas regardless, then why not test it? I know you wouldn't because children can and will be indoctrinated, in one form or another, by what they are surrounded by during their development. It is not just a case of getting the wrong ideas, it is the fact it would be near impossible to break someone of their indoctrinated state, they simply will not abandon their ideas, regardless of what anyone says, until they recognise their state for themselves.

As for the solution, there is no way to break the effects of indoctrination once they are rooted, only if the indoctrinated subject sees their condition for themselves can it be ended. But, for those still not biased, the only way to prevent indoctrination is through education, or more importantly, giving your child the ability to learn without "assistance". Only seeing an interest, idea or viewpoint from every angle and every argument can one make an educated decision on what kind of relationship they want with it, and the child should be able to gather this information independently through their own efforts (since others, regardless how hard they might try, will spin it in the direction they approve of, people always have and always will).
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Again I think your definiton of indoctrination is much too broad. Exposure and indoctrination are two different things. Since your definition is obviously not changing and neither is mine I'm not going to waste any more time debating the matter.
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Jeez, I think you're overreacting. I'll have furry stuff in the house because I like it. It's not like it'll be an effort to make my child like the same things as me.

Post by 0404 »

Sleet wrote:My right eye is grey.
Sleet from few months ago wrote: So today I learned that while arctic foxes typically have yellow eyes, it's not uncommon for one to be born with a single blue eye. So, character update: before I lost it, my right eye was yellow.
I iz pretty good at long term memorizing?
CanadianHero

Post by CanadianHero »

Hm, well I'm not a dedicated furry... but occasionally I would put dog ears on my head and little paws and call myself Carl. My mom actually is a semi-furry like me, she dresses like a cat and rabbit. It's quite cute :) I'm becoming Otaku quite quickly though. ^J^
Fox: Ah ignore Peanut fighting Bino, you want churro, no? King: Si!

Let's Dance! *falls to floor*
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Let's take the indoctrination discussion out of this thread - it's gotten off-topic.
texascat018 wrote: I iz pretty good at long term memorizing?
Sleet's cybernetic eye is gray. The original eye was yellow.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

CanadianHero wrote:Hm, well I'm not a dedicated furry... but occasionally I would put dog ears on my head and little paws and call myself Carl. My mom actually is a semi-furry like me, she dresses like a cat and rabbit. It's quite cute :) I'm becoming Otaku quite quickly though. ^J^
That's really adorable!
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

My family knows I love pets, but I mostly push towards cats because cats just naturally draw my attention. Also, dogs licking me? immediate bath. and i hate baths from something as silly as dog slobber or spilled food. My pet husky is now a prime example of the recent increase in baths recently. thanks, sis. :|

I'm considering myself a furry again, but let's face it ~ it's hard to judge when there's only a broad range of things furry that i like. The primary things are cats, dogs and dragons. lizard men are cool also, but i blame Skyrim and Baldur's gate for that. I also blame Digimon also for many of the intelligent digital animals out there. Digimon no doubt is a huge reason i started getting into the artistic view of furry-like fandom, but because it's better when art has it's own mind and voice and story put into it moreso than any cartoon, especially stuff like Samurai Pizza Cats. >.>
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
NightFox

Post by NightFox »

GameCobra wrote:Also, dogs licking me? immediate bath.
is there any particular reason for that? because it's rather silly
there is no such thing as luck. if there was, there would surely be at least one person with all of it, and nothing bad would happen to them ever. but as far as I can tell, bad things happen to everyone.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Dogs' mouths are generally pretty clean. I'll wash my paws if they lick them, but then again I wash my paws if I pet them.
FlintTheSquirrel

Post by FlintTheSquirrel »

Dogs eat the weirdest and often most disgusting things sometimes. Guess that is a reason.
NightFox

Post by NightFox »

washing your hands is fine. but taking a bath because of such a small thing seems like a bit of an overreaction
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

That's certainly an opinion. GameCobra's opinion is clearly different. The forum rules preclude putting someone down for any reason, regardless.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

FlintTheSquirrel wrote:Dogs eat the weirdest and often most disgusting things sometimes. Guess that is a reason.
Bingo. It's just one of those things i can't get out of my mind with dogs. Not that i consier my dog walking around with diseases, but our pets have eaten bubble gum from sidewalks and garbage before we could stop them, which lead me to the fear that they could have anything on them when licking me. It's more of a precaution i find, but i just gotten into a bad habit of it lately with dogs the more i see them do this sort of thing.
washing your hands is fine. but taking a bath because of such a small thing seems like a bit of an overreaction
Doesn't bother me much when it's my hands since i just wash them, but it's when they go for the face and feet that I find it's bath time. X3
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
NightFox

Post by NightFox »

Dissension wrote:That's certainly an opinion. GameCobra's opinion is clearly different. The forum rules preclude putting someone down for any reason, regardless.
I'm not pitting him down. I'm trying to have a conversation. but alright, I'll try to lighten it up even more
GameCobra wrote: Bingo. It's just one of those things i can't get out of my mind with dogs. Not that i consier my dog walking around with diseases, but our pets have eaten bubble gum from sidewalks and garbage before we could stop them, which lead me to the fear that they could have anything on them when licking me. It's more of a precaution i find, but i just gotten into a bad habit of it lately with dogs the more i see them do this sort of thing.
Doesn't bother me much when it's my hands since i just wash them, but it's when they go for the face and feet that I find it's bath time. X3
I can understand that. sometimes it is really hard to keep your mind off what they may have had in their mouths. but honestly some of the things we eat on purpose have been in much worse places lol. I try not to think a lot about processed food
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

I love my dog, but given what i've seen him eat, I'm glad he's not much of a licker.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Foxes are dogs and my oral hygiene is good! :P
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

well maybe for a fox but by normal standards............
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
tychoaussie

Post by tychoaussie »

Considering that Chocolate is toxic to dogs, and that there's so many other things that they munch on that doesn't appear to affect them,

I have to wonder if maybe all this stuff we perceive as nasty is perhaps mostly cultural perception.
Fun-loving by birth, Honorable through upbringing, Brave by necessity.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Seth wrote:well maybe for a fox but by normal standards............
Hey, I brush and eat milkbones!