card games lol

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Re: card games lol

Post by Sleet »

44R0NM10 wrote:I'm not looking forward to it, my main deck's gonna have about 3 cards that are gonna turn illegal...But yeah, other than that, I'd like to check it out. :P
They're only illegal if you play in Standard tournaments! Other than that you're just fine.

Not to mention that even if you were playing in Standard tournaments, 3 is actually a very good number to be losing in a rotation. That's hardly anything at all. A lot of tournament decks end up completely gutted by the rotation (such as mine, which is losing like 40 cards).
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

and that's one reason why I dislike Magic a little bit, heh. Sure, it's one way to balance cards, but it also must really frustrate some people. Also forces you to buy more cards...yeah, I'd prefer to spend my money on other things, heh.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Games like Yu-Gi-Oh! force you to buy new cards to compete whether or not you're playing tournaments, because new cards are more powerful than the ones that are already out. With Magic, you don't need new cards to have a good deck. They're just necessary for Standard tournaments, which would be very costly to get into if cards didn't rotate. If you want to play tournaments, you could always play Modern. Cards never rotate out there.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
ManaWolf

Post by ManaWolf »

Hi guys! I haven't been here in a while so I thought I'd stop by. Saw this topic and it immediately drew my attention. I've been playing magic since last December so I'm not too good at it, but I try my best. Anyway I usually stay in the standard format when I play.

My favorite colors in the magic wheel I'd say have to be Blue>White>Green>Black>Red.

Anyway, here's my deck!

Main deck/ cards (60)
ARTIFACTS:
x2 Runechanter's Pike

CREATURES:
x4 Birds of Paradise
x2 Drogskol Captain
x2 Fog Bank
x2 Geist of Saint Traft
x2 Invisible Stalker
x2 Strangleroot Geist
x2 Wolfir Silverheart

ENCHANTMENTS:
x2 Abundant Growth
x3 Wild Defiance

INSTANTS:
x2 Naturalize
x2 Ranger's Guile
x2 Sheltering Word

LAND:
x1 Cavern Of Souls
x3 Evolving Wilds
x7 Forest
x6 Island
x1 Glacial Fortress
x1 Plains
x2 Razorverge Thicket (Will be replace by Temple Garden)

SORCERIES:
x2 Blessings Of Nature
x4 Increasing Savagery
x2 Index

Sideboard: Cards (15)
x2 Void Stalker
x2 Nevermore (Will be replaced by Detention Sphere)
x2 Dissipate
x4 Faith's Shield
x2 Redirect
x2 Artful Dodge
x1 Silent Departure

Tell me what you think about it! ManaWolf loves Magic!
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Bant midrange. Pretty good for a newbie!

Are you limited by the size of your collection? Because Geist of St. Traft should be a 3- or 4-of, Strangleroot Geist could be useful to have more of too, Drogskol Captain isn't worth it with how few spirits you have, Abundant Growth and Wild Defiance aren't either, since Abundant Growth gives you very small advantage at the price of tempo and Wild Defiance is weak with only four things to use on your creatures. Naturalize isn't bad but I'd recomment keeping that on the sideboard. Rancor is far better than any of the remaining instants. You probably want four. Index is awful. I'd recommend some Oblivion Rings. Those are really flexible. Most of your sideboard cards should be focused on answers to specific decks. Not just cards that almost made the mainboard.

Does that help?
ManaWolf

Post by ManaWolf »

Sleet wrote:Bant midrange. Pretty good for a newbie!

Are you limited by the size of your collection? Because Geist of St. Traft should be a 3- or 4-of, Strangleroot Geist could be useful to have more of too, Drogskol Captain isn't worth it with how few spirits you have, Abundant Growth and Wild Defiance aren't either, since Abundant Growth gives you very small advantage at the price of tempo and Wild Defiance is weak with only four things to use on your creatures. Naturalize isn't bad but I'd recomment keeping that on the sideboard. Rancor is far better than any of the remaining instants. You probably want four. Index is awful. I'd recommend some Oblivion Rings. Those are really flexible. Most of your sideboard cards should be focused on answers to specific decks. Not just cards that almost made the mainboard.

Does that help?
Alright here's the thing.

Yes, I'm limited by the size of my collection because I want to save as much money as possible. I would rather have 4 Geists of Saint Trafts but I'm stuck at 2 (I got one of them for a dollar, yay me) so I'll have to settle for 2. So because of my limited budget I can't afford better solutions so easily. So I've tried fixing that as much as I can. Index is in my deck simply because I want to plan my next 5 turns as soon as I can. If I have abundant growth, I can get a card draw and get an answer if I need it (after I use index) plus juggling 3 colors can be hard. Dual lands are expensive, Birds and abundant growth fix that slightly. Also I'm running index because Ponder is gonna be gone soon. :c

Now, My deck is originally suppose to have all 4 faith shields in it, along with 4 wild defiances instead of 3. Faith's Shield is already a great card to begin with. It can counter a spell targeting a permanent, make you unblockable to a creature. It can act as a sponge and even knock off pesky auras. But what can make that better is the 3+/3+ bonus from wild defiance. And I can be swinging for about 4-9 damage on the 3-4th turn. Not bad I guess.

As for rancor, It is a great card. But I'd rather run spectral flight instead because I don't wanna risk a geist of saint traft dying the first time I swing. Naturlize I like just because I can choose between an enchantment like spirit mantle or an artifact like Birthing Pod.

I did notice that the one thing this deck suffers is removal. So oblivion ring would be a nice addition. I'll run it until detention sphere comes into the new block so I can exile a larger amount of creatures. Bonfire of the Damned would be nice, unfortunately it has to be 40 bucks a pop.

TL;DR= Yeah this deck could use some tweaks, I'm trying to keep it standard so yeah.

Also, about the drogskol captains. They're a good creature that can take a bullet for the team. Meaning that they can make the opponent use a spell that could have been used on a more dangerous target. Unless that opponent has a snapcaster mage. Then I'm doomed.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I understand not being able to afford more Geists of St. Traft.

There's gonna be Azorius Guildgate and Selesnya Guildgate in Return to Ravnica. That should help ease your need for duel lands. Also, I think Avacyn's Pilgrim would be better than those Abundant Growths.

Index is pretty much always bad. Yes, you can plan your next five turns. But those next five turns will all be worse than they would have been had you not played Index. Because you wasted a card and a mana casting Index.

The odds of you getting a Wild Defiance to stick and then casting Faith's Shield are really low. Not worth wasting deck slots for. Additionally, Faith's Shield is for dodging removal most of the time. While it can be used to punch extra damage in with Wild Defiance, that's a two-card combo for just a few extra points of damage. Not worth it.

You're vastly underestimating the power of Rancor. Rancor is one of the best creature auras ever printed (arguably the best), and it speeds up your deck tremendously. Even if your Geist of St. Traft dies with a Rancor, you just punched through for at least 4 points of damage, killed a creature, and got your Rancor back to your hand. No real loss there. Spectral Flight is good but when you lose your creature you lose two cards instead of one.

Ray of Revelation is going to be a good choice after Scars of Mirrodin rotates, since it is cheaper and has two charges.

As far as removal goes, you're probably looking at Oblivion Ring and Detention Sphere. Possibly both. Additionally Cyclonic Rift would serve to be a powerful card.

Drogskol Captains might as well just be Wind Drakes most of the time. You can do better. :3
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

Sleet wrote:Games like Yu-Gi-Oh! force you to buy new cards to compete whether or not you're playing tournaments, because new cards are more powerful than the ones that are already out. With Magic, you don't need new cards to have a good deck. They're just necessary for Standard tournaments, which would be very costly to get into if cards didn't rotate. If you want to play tournaments, you could always play Modern. Cards never rotate out there.
My deck in Yu Gi Oh still competes well with decks that have been brought out 4-5 years later, as I've found out, so technically it doesn't force you to buy new cards. Magic is seriously and completly forcing you to buy new cards for competitive play. Considering the only thing I get to do IRL is Magic Friday, and that has this lazy balancing mechanic, I'm not fond.
FlintTheSquirrel

Post by FlintTheSquirrel »

I will have to say all card games I know of make their following cards much stronger as they go on to get people to keep buying them. My Pokemon deck has Legendaries which are weaker than basic un-evolved Pokemon of the 5th series. Also Yu-Gi-Oh has this same problem. Back when I played, I was capped at certain stat maximums on Attack and Defense. Then someone told me to try an online program thingy, and I saw they all used things that had 500 higher attack and defense with the same 4 stars. Magic and Trap cards on that series however have not changed much. Though a lot of them are very broken, most of those originated back in the early times.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

44R0NM10 wrote:
Sleet wrote:Games like Yu-Gi-Oh! force you to buy new cards to compete whether or not you're playing tournaments, because new cards are more powerful than the ones that are already out. With Magic, you don't need new cards to have a good deck. They're just necessary for Standard tournaments, which would be very costly to get into if cards didn't rotate. If you want to play tournaments, you could always play Modern. Cards never rotate out there.
My deck in Yu Gi Oh still competes well with decks that have been brought out 4-5 years later, as I've found out, so technically it doesn't force you to buy new cards. Magic is seriously and completly forcing you to buy new cards for competitive play. Considering the only thing I get to do IRL is Magic Friday, and that has this lazy balancing mechanic, I'm not fond.
If cards didn't rotate, you'd be allowed to use your old cards... but so would the long-time player who has a massive collection with 19 years worth of all the best cards. Black Lotus is 1000 dollars. Mana Drain is 250. Tolarian Academy is 100. Tarmogoyf is 80. Standard is possible to play without being rich specifically because cards rotate out. Not to mention it keeps the metagame from stagnating.
ManaWolf

Post by ManaWolf »

One thing I like todo is goto draft tournaments at my local card store. I know that some other places do the drafting differently. But at mine we simply just pay 12 dollars for 3 personal packs and they provide the basic land. I hear some others stores pass around a pack and have a lottery type of thing to see who gets which card, seems weird to me.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

That's called rare redrafting and I don't like it.

Drafts are a ton of fun! My store charges 15 dollars, but the prize pool is 2 packs per person (so an eight-person draft would distribute 16 booster packs to the highest-ranking several players). It's a great way to spend an evening, it's challenging, it's a lot of fun, and you learn a lot about different cards and strategies. It's also a way for all those cards that you never think of using to get played.
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

I have Rage of Bahamut. Is that card gamey enough?
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

From what I could read from Wikipedia, yep!
Luvindonesia

Post by Luvindonesia »

i have a lord of the rings trading card game but, i never played with it though
we always have a choice in life so choose wisely and always believed in the choices you've made.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

There are a lot of trading card games like that that end up not ever taking off.
Zukio

Post by Zukio »

I just recently found an old deck on handmade cards for a game we used to play at my school. About 20 students made our own card game, which was fun but really unbalanced. I almost completely forgot they exist.
I like Pie!!!
Go ahead and send me a message, maybe we could talk about pie!
GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!!
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

That kinda thing takes a lot of skill to do. I design Magic cards as a hobby sometimes and there's a lot of balancing that goes into just that much, let alone making a whole game!
Zukio

Post by Zukio »

That's a pretty cool hobby! Do any of your cards ever get sent to be made official? Or do you just use them with your friends. Either one is pretty awesome.
I like Pie!!!
Go ahead and send me a message, maybe we could talk about pie!
GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!!
FlintTheSquirrel

Just got to sorting in a few Pokemon cards. Its becoming a problem now though since I have to keep getting separate sheets for individual Pokemon now since they break the binding.
Ohh well, I got thousands more to sort in. D:
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Just split them into two slots if you have too many for one. That's what I do.
Zukio wrote:That's a pretty cool hobby! Do any of your cards ever get sent to be made official? Or do you just use them with your friends. Either one is pretty awesome.
I don't even use them. I just like designing cards. It's fun! I could post a few here if people want. They don't have art, though.
FlintTheSquirrel

Sleet wrote:Just split them into two slots if you have too many for one. That's what I do.
Can't split them in two. I have my cards in numerical order, so.....yea. Can't.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Yeah you can, it just takes a lot of time. :P
FlintTheSquirrel

I don't think you understand what I mean. I am not willing to place them outside of numerical order. Currently I just put the best looking one in place and put all the rest I have on their own sheet, separated by pictures.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I mean just sort your cards like this:

Bulbasaur 1
Bulbasaur 2
Bulbasaur 3
etc.
Ivysaur 1
Ivysaur 2

And so on. That's what I do. Granted, I don't end up bolstering my collection as much so it's not as much effort for me since it's not frequently updated.
FlintTheSquirrel

If I were to do that, it sounds as though I would have to move every single card I own over, just to put in a new card. What I do is Bulbasaur, Ivysaur, Venasaur, Charmander (Can't fit Charmander into a single slot, so I take the best looking one and leave it there and put the rest in their own sheet and put it behind the first page.), and keep going like that.
Also, I never show off my cards since I have no friends, so it is just for self-satisfaction. I like keeping things in numerical order. XP
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I do too. :P

You could also consider what I do with my Magic cards. I sort them first by rarity (rares/mythic rares in a separate binder, commons and uncommons in a big card box), then my expansion (older expansions first, all the way to the newest expansion in the back), then by set number. This way when I get new cards I don't have to rearrange much.
FlintTheSquirrel

Again, unlike every other card game, Pokemon keeps consistently to the same Pokemon and the same order. I'll keep to the way I do it. Just wish I did not have to put a Pokemon into an individual sheet, but nothing I can do if I get to many of that card.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Hey Flint, here's an idea that would keep your system consistent:
Get two binders. Organize both by Pokemon number. One binder is for your favorite model of each card, the second binder is for your multiple copies on the entire one sheet. Both binders follow your system, and it divides up the masses a little so your binders don't break.

(I own ~700 Pokemon cards myself.)
Let me tell you about Homestuck.
FlintTheSquirrel

I was thinking about something like that, but it would make it a little difficult to sort some cards in, seeing as they won't be readily available in the same binder. But who knows, been thinking about doin that.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Yeah, that might make it difficult, but you could call one your "prized" album so if you ever decided to trade/sell, you'd know to never touch that one.

I have mad organization skills, so sorting is my specialty. *high fives*
Let me tell you about Homestuck.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

You could also have each Pokémon start a new page, having blank spaces at the end if you have fewer, and inserting a new page (if it's a ringed binder) if you have more. This is good unless blank spaces bug you like they do me.
FlintTheSquirrel

What you make it sound like is having a single page for each and every Pokemon. Sorry, but I don't have any binders that can fit 600 some card holders. ^^; Anywho, I'm pretty sure I know how to deal with them now, however I still have no idea what to do with these trainer cards and energy cards. There is just no effective way to organize these things.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

You should do what I do with Magic cards for the trainers and energies. Just sort by expansion and then collection number. Or just do it alphabetically.
IdleCurator

Post by IdleCurator »

Hello, if anybody is still out here!
I play yugioh and I realy like it, I tried pokemon and magic but I couldn't stand the chance of losing because you drew the wrong cards for example getting only last evolutions in pokemon and either only land or only creature cards in magic.
I play on DuelNetwork under the name Cybernetic343
Warning I noticed that previously presented deck lists didn't seem to have any extra deck whilst my decks are usually dependant on it.
I have many many many different decks on duel network with a lot of variation. I have made many decks in the hopes of efficiently summoning Number92:Heart-eartH Dragon which is one of my all time favourite cards despite it being so difficult to summon. I got it in my first ever pack (cosmo blazer) I treasure it.
Hi Hi Pie
TheBlasterizer

Post by TheBlasterizer »

I play yugioh too, and it is definitely one of my favorite hobbies. My favorite deck to play is lightsworns, although I play quite a few more as well. Unfortunately, dueling network does not work at my college for some reason, so I have to play on YGOpro instead. I do like to go to tournaments sometimes, but the meta of the game is much too strong for me to handle...
My DA can be found Here!
IdleCurator

Post by IdleCurator »

The meta irritates me so much, most of the time because it sucks the life from the game if you are sitting there for 10 minutes of your opponent summoning before you can even get a turn. I often give different styles a try but I hate with all my heart Qliphorts. Lightsworns are fun and neat but not really my style. I find too much risk in milling effects. I paranoidly hide behind my well protected behemoth monsters.
Hi Hi Pie
TheBlasterizer

Post by TheBlasterizer »

I absolutely hate anything that has to rely on floodgates like vanity's emptiness or skill drain to win. They just say, "Here, lets play a game. Oh, you can't play anymore, have fun." Of course, that is the category in which Qli's fall. Nobody can win anymore without either floodgates or massive graveyard control...
My DA can be found Here!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Probably one of the reasons I could never get into the game.
tsMKG

Post by tsMKG »

I always found classic Yu-Gi-Oh! being more simpler than modern Yu-Gi-Oh!

And yes, modern Yu-Gi-Oh! is a hell lot more complicated than D&D from what I know.
Have you been looking at the thing above this? Dis is my old signature and is not relevant anymore.