Discussion: Video Games

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Re: Discussion: Video Games

Post by Sleet »

FlintTheSquirrel wrote:Sleet: I don't think so based on these pictures. It looks like a puzzle game more so than teaching you anything.[/color]
I dunno, there were physics and engineering principles involved. :P
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
FlintTheSquirrel

Post by FlintTheSquirrel »

Many games did that, but virtual reality physics are in many games. Its just a puzzle game. Might make you think, but it won't help you at school. XP
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Education isn't about getting grades, it's about teaching people to think and learn!
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
FlintTheSquirrel

They both make you think, but one type makes you learn. I don't know your game, but it sounds like a game called crazy contraptions, which it just testing things till it works. In any case, I am probably wrong, always am.
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

While I've no doubt a good argument could be made for why various puzzle/problem-solving games can be classed as "educational", I believe Flint was referring to the actual genre of "Educational Games". There are tons of games out there that will force you to think in order to succeed, but most of them were designed for entertainment value, with the learning being a fortunate side-effect of the style of gameplay.

The games we were talking about were literally made for the sole purpose of educating kids, and they used the gaming platform in order to make that educational value appealing.
"When you're falling in a forest and there's nobody around,
do you ever really crash or even make a sound?"
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

FlintTheSquirrel wrote:it sounds like a game called crazy contraptions, which it just testing things till it works.
That's what engineering basically is. :P

I'd say the difference between a puzzle game and an educational puzzle game is that an educational puzzle game involves skills that will be useful outside of that particular game.
exranio

Post by exranio »

Bust A Move has totally helped me in real life situations.
Just like Puyo Puyo.
So check out my Deviant art http://exranion.deviantart.com/ It has ponies, furries, and the link to my tumblr!

Post by 0404 »

exranio wrote:Bust A Move has totally helped me in real life situations.
I learned how to drop-roll in battlefiled3, it saved me from breaking my leg IRL.
Roarin

Post by Roarin »

Bust a move! Used to play that on the Playstation :D
"Sleep is due to me... And I have a dream to live."

Book Log: I, Claudius - Robert Graves
Ref Ref!
The Grey Wolverine

Post by The Grey Wolverine »

You know what I miss? I miss Star Wars: Republic Commandos, that game is fantastic and I miss having it, I mean, how did it not warrant a sequel?

Unrelated note, apparently on the Wii U they are going to have a D&D game for it. Supposedly, the DM is going to be the one with the tablet, so he can plan everything out and set it all up without the players seeing, and the players are going to have the other controllers. Honestly, I think that's an interesting way of using your new setup in a creative way. Plus, it would be good for couch co-op.
Please click this link and support me on FA. http://www.furaffinity.net/user/greywolverene/
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

The Grey Wolverine wrote:Unrelated note, apparently on the Wii U they are going to have a D&D game for it. Supposedly, the DM is going to be the one with the tablet, so he can plan everything out and set it all up without the players seeing, and the players are going to have the other controllers. Honestly, I think that's an interesting way of using your new setup in a creative way. Plus, it would be good for couch co-op.
I am okay with this.

I am very okay with this.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Is that a real thing or is that just in response to when Penny Arcade suggested such a thing?
The Grey Wolverine

Wait, its a Penny Arcade thing? Oh, and it sounded cool too.
Please click this link and support me on FA. http://www.furaffinity.net/user/greywolverene/
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Language warning.

Censored transcript:

"Dungeons & Dragons U

Three friends are playing an action RPG with persistent characters in a savage world"

"One player, using the revolutionary Wii U controller, acts as their Dungeon Master"

"That one's free. You're ******* welcome."
The Grey Wolverine

Gah, darn it Nick, Penny Arcade makes JOKES, not announce games.
Zukio

Post by Zukio »

Recently I played the game Ib, and it was amazing! Has anyone else played it? If not you should try it, since it is free, and if you want you can watch playthroughs on YouTube.
I like Pie!!!
Go ahead and send me a message, maybe we could talk about pie!
GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!!
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

Zukio, you're like months late ;)

Now I remember why I quit RPGs in the first place. They're too addicting. I lack control.

Post by 0404 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAFK5Sp ... ata_player

Okami HD,
game companies are trying to burn a hole on my wallet.
Zukio

Post by Zukio »

Wanderer wrote:Zukio, you're like months late ;)

Now I remember why I quit RPGs in the first place. They're too addicting. I lack control.
Darn! Then again I am always late when it comes to good RPG games.
I like Pie!!!
GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!!
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

To all Majora's Mask fans EnNopp112 just got the world record for MM 100% in 6:04:53 (Previous record was 6:05:45 by GoronGuy) You can find his stream and a bunch of others here Speed Runs Live
The Grey Wolverine

So, slight inconvenience on the playthrough of Zelda Twilight Pincess, yes I'm still on playthrough 1 because I have explored everywhere, and tried to do EVERYTHING because I'm anal about games like that, especially Fallout New Vegas, over 60 hours on my first play through. I'm 20 hours in and just got to the Temple of Time. Aaaaand my Wii is being a pain, the sensor bar is having trouble picking me up, so that's annoying.

Also, Borderlands 2 was so worth the money
Zukio

Post by Zukio »

IceKitsune wrote:To all Majora's Mask fans EnNopp112 just got the world record for MM 100% in 6:04:53 (Previous record was 6:05:45 by GoronGuy) You can find his stream and a bunch of others here Speed Runs Live
Wow that is quick! I wonder how many times s/he had to beat it before s/he reached that time though.
I like Pie!!!
GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!!
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Zukio wrote:
IceKitsune wrote:To all Majora's Mask fans EnNopp112 just got the world record for MM 100% in 6:04:53 (Previous record was 6:05:45 by GoronGuy) You can find his stream and a bunch of others here Speed Runs Live
Wow that is quick! I wonder how many times s/he had to beat it before s/he reached that time though.
I think he had like over 130ish attempts before getting it (which mind you in this case counts him resetting pretty early quite a lot he didn't get all the way to the end 130ish times before getting it). Then there was his previous record before that which was 6:11:xx which was the third best at the time which most likely took him 100s of tries as well.
FlintTheSquirrel

I can't understand speed running. I know it can impress your friends, but being 6 hours, 1 mistake will ruin it. I guess I just hate perfectionist gaming and can't see the pleasure in doing it.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

That's why I like the idea of speed running shorter games. Or just portions of games.
Arjay

Post by Arjay »

I don't know why i never thought about this before, but we really need to get a platoon going on BF3!
Staying focused is a full time job at minimum wage.
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

I don't think enough people here play bf3, let alone on the same system. But I could be wrong!
Jason Mraz wrote: My goal is to show everyone that they, too, can do what they love to do.
Daggy wrote: Look a shadowpriest, what a cutie.... POW
The Grey Wolverine

Well, most of us do seem to PC game or have Xboxes, so it would work. Lets try!
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Sleet wrote:That's why I like the idea of speed running shorter games. Or just portions of games.
Yeah same here I usually like doing the shorter games or at least only Any%'s (just beating the game as fast as you can) over 100%'s (getting everything in the game then beating it). However the thing I dislike about shorter games is, when it comes to speed running, short games are almost always harder to get good times on, as they don't allow for as many mistakes. And really "a short game" is relative because while stuff like 100% are almost always going to be hours long (eg. Zelda, most Metroidvania ect.) doing any% of a usually long game can end up being really really short. I mean the Any% record for OoT is 23:31 or something close to that due to massive glitches.
FlintTheSquirrel

And Mario 64 is beat in 5:47 minutes. I guess a speed runners problem with short games is they are popular targets for tool-assisted speed runs.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Actually the Non-TAS time for Mario 64 is 6:41 with 0 Stars Yep 0 star is no longer TAS only.
The TAS time is now at 5:02.25
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Tool-assisted just seems like a big waste to me. It kinda ruins the novelty behind it!
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

Nah not really, it looks cool. Takes great skill to TAS some games.

My friend is making me play LOL. >_<
The Grey Wolverine

I must say, the RE6 demo is interesting, I played through the Leon one, and was doing some of the Chris part, and the controls are good IMO, the moment is fluid and nice, and its not scary, but in the Leon section, it had a decent atmosphere about it. What are you thoughts peoples?
Luvindonesia

Post by Luvindonesia »

The Grey Wolverine wrote:I must say, the RE6 demo is interesting, I played through the Leon one, and was doing some of the Chris part, and the controls are good IMO, the moment is fluid and nice, and its not scary, but in the Leon section, it had a decent atmosphere about it. What are you thoughts peoples?
i didn't play the demo yet.how was it? is it better than RE5?
we always have a choice in life so choose wisely and always believed in the choices you've made.
FlintTheSquirrel

Based on some random review sites, it is not all to good. Not that I have any idea how those games play, but I tend to hear bad things about every other release they make.
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

I've heard pretty mixed reviews about it so far. Apparently some critics are talking like it's the worst thing to happen to the series, while others are saying it's amazing.

I haven't played it--and I probably won't--so I can't really give any indication of whether it's actually any good or not.
The Grey Wolverine

Luvindonesia wrote:
The Grey Wolverine wrote:I must say, the RE6 demo is interesting, I played through the Leon one, and was doing some of the Chris part, and the controls are good IMO, the moment is fluid and nice, and its not scary, but in the Leon section, it had a decent atmosphere about it. What are you thoughts peoples?
i didn't play the demo yet.how was it? is it better than RE5?
The Leon section is good, it feels like its tying to return to the roots of the series, the Chris part is a decent third person action game, kind of, at least the zombies can adapt to defend themselves. And the section with Jake is just annoying, it seems to want to give you a giant arsenal, but want you to use hand to hand.
TinFoilHats

Post by TinFoilHats »

I'm surprised you guys haven't talked about Cave Story. It's like one of the most popular indie games of all time. In fact, I'm working on a webcomic that uses a modified version of the main characters sprite(its gonna be a pixel comic).
I AM RUBBER, YOU ARE GLUE!!!!
The Grey Wolverine

Meh, I was never interested in the game, my friends try to tell me about all the indie titles because they think I'm that kind of guy.

On another note, I started Grand Theft Auto IV again, its a great game and I like the story.