Do You Play Guitar?

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Re: Do You Play Guitar?

Post by Sleet »

Oh dear, that intro. It's like the second thing almost every guitarist learns. The first being the main riff from Smoke on the Water.

I still haven't learned it. Deal with it. 8P
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
yehoshua

Post by yehoshua »

TougeFoxJ.D.M. wrote:Are you going to learn all of it?
Yuppers
Sleet wrote:Oh dear, that intro. It's like the second thing almost every guitarist learns. The first being the main riff from Smoke on the Water.

I started with a whole year of classical music with no name, in fact, I learned a bunch of Nirvana songs before this.
Sent from my conifer.
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

Sleet wrote:Oh dear, that intro. It's like the second thing almost every guitarist learns. The first being the main riff from Smoke on the Water.

My first song was Rocky Mountain Way, by Joe Walsh. Smoke on the water came later. :P I guess I'm different.
Life is Music, and Music is Life
------------------
My songs: http://www.soundcloud.com/onevirtue

Check out my FA page too!
yehoshua

Post by yehoshua »

My first was an old minuet that I can hardly remember anymore. Good times, gooooood tiiiiimeees.
Sent from my conifer.
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

This is a backpack guitar that I got from a friend. Look how tiny! ^-^
Attachments
IMG_1214.JPG
IMG_1214.JPG (103.49 KiB) Viewed 12712 times
------------------

Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

That thing looks so silly! Does it sound good?
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

Sleet wrote:That thing looks so silly! Does it sound good?
It actually sounds pretty good. Not as good as a full sized acoustic, but you can play it together with one and it doesn't get drowned out. Here's a picture of it's case compared to my mandolin case. It is WAY smaller....
Attachments
IMG_1225.JPG
IMG_1225.JPG (120.72 KiB) Viewed 12700 times
------------------

yehoshua

Post by yehoshua »

I have been wanting to learn Zelda's overworld theme on the acoustic guitar, could anyone hint me to some good page with tabs or sheet music for it?
Sent from my conifer.
thrasherblades

Post by thrasherblades »

Not sure wether I'm ressurecting a dead thread here but here goes...

Something from me!

SHRED!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19Mal8GoqnI&feature=plcp
HP Universe's Furry Guitarist LEHUSKEH. I offer lessons exclusively on Skype. PM if interested ;)
Onlythebassist

Post by Onlythebassist »

Thrasher, that stuff is sick! Awesome precision and pace :D

My significantly less good bass stuff...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqwjgEA- ... ature=plcp

(Green Day - When I Come Around)
thrasherblades

Post by thrasherblades »

That's awesome bro! I guess it's really true when they say not to mess around with the bassist lol.

Keep it up ;)
HP Universe's Furry Guitarist LEHUSKEH. I offer lessons exclusively on Skype. PM if interested ;)
Onlythebassist

Post by Onlythebassist »

Cheers Thrasher, I remember we were gonna jam online a couple years ago but my webcam broke. Wish I could post some better bass on my channel quite honestly, you learn so much more within a two year time period :(
Punchy

Post by Punchy »

I've been thinking about getting a guitar. I've been playing bass for 3 years and would like to get into another instrument.
I've been told that a stratocaster is a great guitar for a beginner, is this true?

Also, just a random question, does/has anybody here ever played a banjo? (I really like banjo's)
Panda Panda Panda
Onlythebassist

Post by Onlythebassist »

Punchy wrote:I've been thinking about getting a guitar. I've been playing bass for 3 years and would like to get into another instrument.
I've been told that a stratocaster is a great guitar for a beginner, is this true?

Also, just a random question, does/has anybody here ever played a banjo? (I really like banjo's)
A copy Strat (not a Fender) is a good starter guitar in my opinion because it lets you play a range of styles. Say if you bought a Jackson guitar - you'd be more inclined to play metal because of the shape, sound and associated bands that play Jackson guitars. No such problem with a Strat, because everyone plays them through jazz to metal to reggae to electronica. Although I only play my basses and a family acoustic guitar, I have a friend that started with a Stratocaster and now plays fast and fiery riffs easily. Go for it! :D

And yeah I've played a banjo before, during my work experience in a music shop. I spent about 30 mins learning the intro to Duelling Banjos when I had some spare time, and gave some Dropkick Murphys a go. The banjo is very different to a guitar when it comes to tuning and string configuration (when strummed open, it plays a G major chord). But don't let that put you off; like learning everything, I'm sure that after time it would seem natural.
axelthefox

Post by axelthefox »

I play guitar too. A line 6 Spider Valve 112 with a Ibanez. Of course i think either the preamp or the output tubes to be replaced. The amp seems to cut out at times. Of course i'm trying to work on speed picking,alternative picking,sweep picking,two-handed tapping,tremolo picking and such.
Punchy

Post by Punchy »

Onlythebassist wrote:A copy Strat (not a Fender) is a good starter guitar in my opinion because it lets you play a range of styles. Say if you bought a Jackson guitar - you'd be more inclined to play metal because of the shape, sound and associated bands that play Jackson guitars. No such problem with a Strat, because everyone plays them through jazz to metal to reggae to electronica. Although I only play my basses and a family acoustic guitar, I have a friend that started with a Stratocaster and now plays fast and fiery riffs easily. Go for it!
Thanks! Yeah, I wasn't really thinking about getting an expensive top-of-the-line guitar, being a beginner. I was told by a friend that when you get a good quality copy guitar, you can modify it however you want to improve sound and looks. Know of any good brands? (if not, thats okay. I can research) :D
Onlythebassist wrote:And yeah I've played a banjo before, during my work experience in a music shop. I spent about 30 mins learning the intro to Duelling Banjos when I had some spare time, and gave some Dropkick Murphys a go. The banjo is very different to a guitar when it comes to tuning and string configuration (when strummed open, it plays a G major chord). But don't let that put you off; like learning everything, I'm sure that after time it would seem natural.
That's cool. :D
Panda Panda Panda
Onlythebassist

Post by Onlythebassist »

The first brand that comes to mind would be Squier - they offer a good range of Strats for affordable prices. SX also make Stratocaster copies, so give them a look as well. If neither of these brands appealed to you, I'd recommend looking at some of the guitars that Epiphone produce.

Whatever you do, DON'T buy a Les Paul; they weigh a ton and chip easier than fine china. Good luck! :)
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

It should be noted that Fender owns Squier.
Onlythebassist

Post by Onlythebassist »

Sleet wrote:It should be noted that Fender owns Squier.
Yup, I know. But Squier is the 'affordable' range they run, so that would be better than forking out for a $600 in the early stages. Really not suggesting you would Punchy (since you have played bass for three years), but if you quit in the early stages that's a big loss.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I was just suggesting that it's going to be as faithful as the price range can allow. I like Squier.
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

I have a friend who is making a hollow body electric guitar. Like, not from a kit or anything. He is pulling wood off of a wood rack, milling it, gluing it, shaping it, everything. (In other words, from scratch)

I'm not a guitar guy, I don't play or even know a lot about them, but it's looking pretty interesting.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Punchy

Post by Punchy »

Onlythebassist wrote:The first brand that comes to mind would be Squier - they offer a good range of Strats for affordable prices. SX also make Stratocaster copies, so give them a look as well. If neither of these brands appealed to you, I'd recommend looking at some of the guitars that Epiphone produce.

Whatever you do, DON'T buy a Les Paul; they weigh a ton and chip easier than fine china. Good luck! :)
Thanks for the info! Haven't had much time to go guitar hunting yet though.
JeffCvt wrote:I have a friend who is making a hollow body electric guitar. Like, not from a kit or anything. He is pulling wood off of a wood rack, milling it, gluing it, shaping it, everything. (In other words, from scratch)

I'm not a guitar guy, I don't play or even know a lot about them, but it's looking pretty interesting.
Sounds like a lot of work. Fun, but difficult.
Panda Panda Panda
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

That's kind of what Brian May did. Now his guitar is famous and whenever he dies it will probably be one of the most valuable electric guitars in the world.
Onlythebassist

Post by Onlythebassist »

Sleet wrote:That's kind of what Brian May did. Now his guitar is famous and whenever he dies it will probably be one of the most valuable electric guitars in the world.
For sure, just like Jimi's old guitars. They sell for some crazy mad prices :D

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7597220.stm
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

They were sold for mad prices because Hendrix owned them (and didn't burn them). Red Special is famous because it's Red Special.

Post by 0404 »

I'm not a good guitar player but, I can play bass guitar pretty decently, I play bass in school Jazz guitar band. Sad things for the bass player is that there is not enough solo parts for Bass player...
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Because the bass was not a good solo instrument, traditionally. Upright bass has trouble projecting in the registers that solos are usually played, so it's difficult to solo. On electric bass, it typically requires a lot of technical skill to be able to pull it off, because there's no such thing as a "safe" electric bass solo.

Post by 0404 »

I don't really like showoff anyway :P I'll just stay at back of the stage and just play a bass..
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I love playing bass because you basically get to improvise the entire time. As long as you follow the ebb and flow of the band and make sure not to stick out when you're not supposed to, you just groove the entire time playing whatever feels right.
Onlythebassist

Post by Onlythebassist »

Sleet wrote:there's no such thing as a "safe" electric bass solo.
I beg to differ ;) Love Buzz by Nirvana. 2:20 to 3:01. Learn it! Learn it like I did!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YPXLL0dbfk
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I don't mean an easy one to learn, I mean bass solos are uncommon enough that there is no such thing as a typical bass solo like there is a guitar solo, piano solo, horn solo, or even a drum solo.
tychoaussie

Post by tychoaussie »

Geddy Lee of RUSH does a pretty good job of turning a bass into a lead guitar, I must say.

btw: My guitars.
The Crafter 25th anniversary ML rose edition is gone, however. I sold it to pay for the construction of Tycho Aussie. The RGZ 621M still rips!

Fun-loving by birth, Honorable through upbringing, Brave by necessity.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

tychoaussie wrote:Geddy Lee of RUSH does a pretty good job of turning a bass into a lead guitar, I must say.
Geddy Lee is phenomenal though. Not exactly an amateur.
Onlythebassist

Post by Onlythebassist »

Sleet wrote:I don't mean an easy one to learn, I mean bass solos are uncommon enough that there is no such thing as a typical bass solo like there is a guitar solo, piano solo, horn solo, or even a drum solo.
If you know the scales and the chord progressions around a song, there's honestly no reason why you can't come up with a solo around it. The bass is so much more versatile than everyone has it down for - how many techniques can you factor into the solos that will beef them up? Slap, tapping, walking bass, triplets, ska rhythms, syncopation, octaving, muting, neck bending, the list goes on!

Ok, I get where you're coming from and you're right. There are not a great deal of typical bass solos in music - that's because we haven't thought of them yet ;)

Post by 0404 »

I will be starting to play double bass in Guitar class pretty soon :D :D
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

The upright bass scares me. No amp? No frets?! *shivers*

Post by 0404 »

sleet wrote:*shivers*
What's the matter Chicken?
Sorry sleet I just wanted to use Max reference...
Punchy

Post by Punchy »

Sleet wrote:The upright bass scares me. No amp? No frets?! *shivers*
I tried out a fretless J bass once, it was fun.
Panda Panda Panda
Onlythebassist

Post by Onlythebassist »

Sleet wrote:The upright bass scares me. No amp? No frets?! *shivers*
Witchcraft!
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Yes I'm chicken. :(

I've never played an instrument before where the discrete pitches weren't clearly marked. I'm not sure my pitch is good enough to keep good intonation.