How's that?

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Re: Chat Thread 38: You Guys Are Old

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

flattered, Diss. not Flattened.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Save that for Rick.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Karl

Post by Karl »

Not for Karishad?
I'm a bookworm!
Nyaliva

Post by Nyaliva »

KogaShinigami wrote:
dern young'uns. When I was yer age, Cartoon Network only had Cartoons.
Ha, those were the good ol' days my friend...

On a different note, I writing research paper on the multi-verse theory so... anyone know anything about it? In short its the theory that every action is actually carried out in alternate reality of sorts making so anything that could have happened does, but within the contents of a different reality. In example, if you thought about robbing a bank. You don't because you're a good person, but due to the fact thought about doing it, a separate you in a different timeline does and is caught, but because this you were caught an other fracture is created were in a different timeline were another you didn't it caught and so on. So does anyone know anything about that kind of stuff?
I was hugely into that stuff a few years ago to the point where I nearly wrote a fictional story about time travel that was going to be based on real theories in science. Anyway, I did see a TV show on the History channel (Old Man input: back when it was only history shows I never watched it but now it has science! Some things do change for the better guys...except the whole "not just cartoons on Cartoon Network" thing. That's just stupid...) which said the multiverse theory is supported by the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle which says we can't know everything about a molecule, if we know it's position we can't know its momentum and stuff like that.

Anyway, I really wish I could remember what they said on the show but from what I've learned since then, if the HUP can be scaled up to the point of multiverses it would mean there wouldn't just be an infinite number of universes, there would be an infinity^infinity number of universes because they would have to have every possible momentum for every possible position of each molecule in the universe and it's only by this fact that every choice of every decision you made would be created in its own universes because there would be a certain arrangement of molecules that would lead to that decision being made. At least that's what I got from my first year quantum mechanics course at university...I think...good luck with the paper though! :)

Also I'd give Quantum Suicide/Immortality a look. Might make a good ice breaker. Sorry it's all wikipedia, I'm sure you're intelligent enough to be able to find better sources if you choose to use the ideas. :P
Feel like you need a friend? I'm happy to talk anytime! :D

I'm on DeviantArt now!
Currently working on: "The Warriors" Book
sonic id furreh!!!

Post by sonic id furreh!!! »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:dern young'uns. When I was yer age, Cartoon Network only had Cartoons.
i miss those days...
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Wanderer wrote:
Ha! I like the part where it says that hipsters are the "harbingers of the fall of Western Civilization".
Like it wasn't already in decline.
Well decline and ascent are subjective, even if Western society as we know it is on a path of desruction it will be replaced. From these new societies perspective our decline will mark the begining of their ascent. All of it is part of a never ending process set in motion from the dawn of civilization in which society constantly changes. Whether or not this change is good or bad is subjective. If one is to look at the problem as a social scientist there is no Decline or ascent the changing of society exists outside of the distinction between "good" and "bad". It simply is.
texascat018 wrote:
Seth wrote:Darn kids with their electronic music and tablets. Back in my day we had laptops and lead singers!!!!
since when did Dubstep came to our music culture?
since the bros found it I guess
I mean I knew about it before it was cool :ugeek: but everyone else......
KogaShinigami wrote: On a different note, I writing research paper on the multi-verse theory so... anyone know anything about it? In short its the theory that every action is actually carried out in alternate reality of sorts making so anything that could have happened does, but within the contents of a different reality. In example, if you thought about robbing a bank. You don't because you're a good person, but due to the fact thought about doing it, a separate you in a different timeline does and is caught, but because this you were caught an other fracture is created were in a different timeline were another you didn't it caught and so on. So does anyone know anything about that kind of stuff?
Step one: find a bunch of old issues of Marvel comics What If?
Step 2: write down every line the Watcher says
step3: cobble together until you write the best paper ever
I think in Non-sequiturs

"I told you not to put metal in the science oven! What'd you do that for?"

Trash boiz
The Grey Wolverine

Post by The Grey Wolverine »

sonic id furreh!!! wrote:
RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:dern young'uns. When I was yer age, Cartoon Network only had Cartoons.
i miss those days...
I miss the days of having 9 planets. Yes I'm still annoyed at that.
Please click this link and support me on FA. http://www.furaffinity.net/user/greywolverene/
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

We still have Pluto!
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

Yea, but it's now considered a "Dwarf Planet" if I remember correctly.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

But it's still there!

And dwarves are cool!

Post by 0404 »

back then we didn't have to look after hidden wireless phone that ran out of battery. it's way more nice to have a cord phone
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

If you get the right phone, you don't have to worry about that battery that much.

My last phone, granted it was a flip-phone and less than special, had a battery that could have, in theory, lasted a month without being charged.

I would charge it every night, so I didn't really know how long it would last until I didn't charge it for an entire week once. Only turned it off for the plane rides, turned it right back on as soon as we landed, and over the course of an entire week, it only used 25% of its battery.

I was amazed. And having charged it every night for the phone's entire life (About a year and 8 months at that point), that meant the battery would only be better if I had waited until it ran out before I charged it every time. But now my new phone's battery won't last more than three days. That's still pretty good compared to some people I know, but not if you're used to having a phone you could not charge for a week and be fine.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit

Post by 0404 »

I bet your phone is either Nokia ir Samsung
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

It was actually a Samsung. I still have it just in case anything ever happens to my new phone.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Karl

Post by Karl »

Well, I miss the days when telephone was actually a telephone. personally that's all I require from a phone - just make a call and that's it. But now they just insert some junk I actually never use that just drains a lot of power.
For long time I always used Nokia phones and they always had a long living battery. But now I have a model X2 which last like 3 - 4 days...
I'm a bookworm!
MapleRatty

Post by MapleRatty »

The Grey Wolverine wrote:
sonic id furreh!!! wrote:
i miss those days...
I miss the days of having 9 planets. Yes I'm still annoyed at that.
YOU AND ME BOTH!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

My phone only lasts about a day. Granted, I use it for stuff like posting here when I'm at work (but never when there's work to do!)
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

JeffCvt wrote:Yea, but it's now considered a "Dwarf Planet" if I remember correctly.
so pluto grew a beard ?
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz

Post by 0404 »

I find this really hopless.
Give em toy like baby-Lego or stuffed animal, not Ipod...
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

texascat018 wrote:I find this really hopless.
Give em toy like baby-Lego or stuffed animal, not Ipod...
(iPod toy pic)
What the flying shoebags.

Why do we need to teach infants how to operate iPods again? Or is technology becoming so "user-friendly" that babies should be able to do it?
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I figured it out and I wasn't even born into a world where they're commonplace. Let alone existent.
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

It's obviously a sinister plot by the medical supply companies to get headphones in people's ears sooner and encourage early hearing loss.
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Today i thought it was Thursday and was surprised to see a comic today, then went to get my ears cleaned out by my doctor today to find out if i had a ear infection. Bah!

I'm highly ticklish, so it sucked for the doctor when he saw me laughing and snickering as he was cleaning them out and wondering if it hurt me. How could i not? It was like putting a very thin vacuum in my ears! ;_;
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Karl

Post by Karl »

Well, you could tell him that at least this time he had a patient who was willing to laugh than scream from pain.
I'm a bookworm!
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

Seth wrote:
Wanderer wrote:
Ha! I like the part where it says that hipsters are the "harbingers of the fall of Western Civilization".
Like it wasn't already in decline.
Well decline and ascent are subjective, even if Western society as we know it is on a path of desruction it will be replaced. From these new societies perspective our decline will mark the begining of their ascent. All of it is part of a never ending process set in motion from the dawn of civilization in which society constantly changes. Whether or not this change is good or bad is subjective. If one is to look at the problem as a social scientist there is no Decline or ascent the changing of society exists outside of the distinction between "good" and "bad". It simply is.
I never said it was bad. I predict that in some years (10~20 maybe), Western society won't be nearly as prominent as it was in the past. The way I see it, a society is declining if their influence over other societies, as well as their ability to control their own domestic affairs, is waning. The rest of the world is catching up and hopefully we will be able to see a balance. An empire doesn't have to be completely destroyed to lose influence; there might no longer be a Mongol empire but Mongolia exists, and the Soviet Union might be dissolved but we still have Russia. But I'm not sure there is always a constant stream of societies that continually replace old ones, at least ones that are at the same level of complexity and strength as their predecessors. If there was a nuclear war which completely destroys our world, maybe people will have to start over as hunter-gatherer societies.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I think globalization is becoming such a thing that eventually "Western society" is going to mean a lot less.
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

My mistake WandererI didn't realize you meant decline in the sense of power dynamics. In that case yes I would have to agree with you and Sleet on this one.
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
DanTwelve3

Post by DanTwelve3 »

This weekend was AMAZING!!! Five series racing over three days from sun up to sun down at Road America. The final race culminated in the closest finish in American LeMans Series history! 0.08 seconds after 4 hours. That was the most intense race I've ever seen.

Now I have over 1000 pictures to sort through. I did it to myself.
Karl

Post by Karl »

Hmm, that sounds intriguing. I never heard of such race. Can you tell us more about it?
I'm a bookworm!
MapleRatty

Post by MapleRatty »

Please say it isnt NASCAR :|
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

He just said American Le Mans Series... -_-
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

"Oh my God!! What can possibly happen next?! ....
WOAH! Look at that left turn!!"

... You might only get this if you live in the South.
Let me tell you about Homestuck.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Sometimes they crash though! :P
MapleRatty

Post by MapleRatty »

Beagle wrote:"Oh my God!! What can possibly happen next?! ....
WOAH! Look at that left turn!!"

... You might only get this if you live in the South.
Jeff Dunham, I didnt know you loved the the internet :mrgreen:
Sleet wrote:Sometimes they crash though! :P
: You are awsome...AND crazy awesome
DanTwelve3

Post by DanTwelve3 »

American Le Mans Series

The series involves five classes (fastest to less fast):
Prototype 1 (P1): the fastest and least restricted purpose-built race cars.
Prototype 2 (P2): slightly slower, more restricted
Prototype Challenge (PC): identical prototype race cars
GT: highly modified production sports cars (Corvette, Ferrari 458 Italia, BMW M3, SRT Viper, Porsche 911, Lotus Evora)
GT Challenge (GTC): identical Porsche 911 GT3 cars

The longest race in the ALMS season is the 12 Hours of Sebring. Many of the teams also race in the 24 Hours of Le Mans in France.

Road America is quite long at 4 miles, so it only takes about 3 or so laps for the fastest cars to come around and lap the slowest cars.
Sleet wrote:Sometimes they crash though! :P
NASCAR is for glorious crashes. ALMS is for racing!
That wasn't elitist at all. Nope.
The Grey Wolverine

Post by The Grey Wolverine »

Please click this link and support me on FA. http://www.furaffinity.net/user/greywolverene/
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

DanTwelve3 wrote:NASCAR is for glorious crashes. ALMS is for racing!
That wasn't elitist at all. Nope.
Racing isn't racing unless you have contact and can block without being flagged. I'm sorry, but that's just the way it is for me.

And NASCAR races can get exciting. At the last one, the leader of the race blew his engine with something like 4-5 laps to go and the race ended with an all out fight for the final few laps to claim the win.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
DanTwelve3

Post by DanTwelve3 »

I kid when I say NASCAR isn't for racing ;) .

NASCAR has some of the most intense racing you can get. At pretty much any race, 10 or more drivers could come out with the win at the end. A few years back a truck series race had one driver pit with about 10 laps to go to get four tires, every other leader stayed out. He just flew by everyone and won the whole thing in some of the best driving I've ever seen.

Left turn jokes aside, there are some serious merits with oval tracks. They make a good arena where spectators can see the whole track at once, whereas at road courses only a small portion is visible. Two (or is it four?) left-hand turns are far more complicated in reality than at first glance. AND THE NOISE!
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

Oh, I've been to many NASCAR races. I actually live close enough to one of the tracks that we drive up in the morning and leave when the race is done and get home without a lot of stress.

The track I live by is actually one that they always make a big deal about when they go there.

I've even been in a ride around at a track in a NASCAR like car. Let me tell you, it's not as easy at is seems...
Jeff "Clavy" Civit