card games lol

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Re: card games lol

Post by Sleet »

If you play casually, I'd recommend against even having a sideboard, unless your playgroup likes having them.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Therolyn

Post by Therolyn »

It depends who I play with really. Mostly my brother and his friends never used them, but I do have a cousin who has been known to use a sideboard, however I don't know if he plays anymore.
Werebilby For the Period of Easter - Please fellow Australians do not forget our little guy, the bilby
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

a bit late, but I've finally made a Magic: The Gathering deck...Yes, I still don't fully understand the rules, your point?

Anyway, with about 20 booster packs, I made a black/red Vampire focused deck.

Land:

4 X Evolving Wilds
10 X Swamp
10 X Mountain

Creatures:

2 X Stromkirk Captain
2 X Vampire Interloper
1 X Falkenrath Noble
1 X Giant Scorpian
2 X Duty-Bound Dead
1 X Vampire Nighthawk
1 X Hunted Ghoul
1 X Servant of Nefarox
1 X Mogg Flunkies
1 X Goblin Arsonist
1 X Rakish Heir
1 X Bloodcrazed Neonate
2 X Crossway Vampire
1 X Torch Fiend
1 X Firewing Phoenix
1 X Heirs of Stromkirk
1 X Bladetusk Boar

Sorcery's/Instants

2 X Vile Rebirth
1 X Disentomb
1 X Mind Rot
2 X Pillar of Flame
1 X Brimstone Volley
1 X Traitorous Blood
1 X Cleaver Riot
1 X Vampiric Fury

Enchantments

1 X Dead Weight
1 X Gruesome Deformity

Artifacts

1 X Executioner's Hood
1 X Gilded Lotus
1 X Ring of Xathrid

- Total Number of Cards 60

Anybody who's more experienced than me here, tell me how this deck looks please.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

That's actually not bad! I don't know what cards you have, so I'll give some general advice:

-Try to cut non-vampire cards, and maximize vampire synergy. That means more Stromkirk Captains and Vampiric Furies if you have any.
-Hunted Ghoul, Gruesome Deformity and Executioner's Hood suck. Perhaps try more kill and burn spells instead?
-Gilded Lotus is cool but it's kind of expensive and only useful for decks with some big spells. This deck is fairly quick and you're probably going to end up casting your spells before Gilded Lotus even gets a chance to help with that.
-This kind of deck generally wants to be streamlined to aggressive creatures and ways to kill your opponents' creatures. Keep that in mind if you're considering adding any "fluff."
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

So, I took out all the none-vampires, and added any others I found including the vampires I personally don't think are brilliant (Namely: Driver of the Dead) (You can probably argue how it is good, and I couldn't really disagree on a lot of fronts. I'm just not sure it'd work in my deck too well).

I can understand why you said the artifact and enchantment suck, but Hunted Ghoul? If your opponent has no humans in their deck, the card is effectively a 1/2 with 1 mana cost. Not the worst card.

Anyway, the only notable card I added since hearing your advice was Liliana of the Dark Realms.
I must admit, I'm not exactly sure how Planeswalker cards work (Liliana seems to work best in a pure black deck anyway...it's hard to resist not putting rare cards into your deck, even if they don't work to their fullest :P ). I've been informed they work like players, and their life is their 'loyalty'. In my honest opinion, all planeswalkers mustn't be that good if they can be attacked at any time (even if they can be blocked), but I've never played against one or with one before to know.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Driver of the Dead is not bad. There are better aggressive vampires out there but he works in a pinch.

A 1/2 for 1 mana actually is pretty bad. Especially in an aggressive deck. It doesn't help your board position much and is a waste of a card from your hand when you cast it.

When a planeswalker enters the battlefield, it gets loyalty counters equal to the number in the corner. Once per turn, whenever you may cast a sorcery, you can add/subtract the number of loyalty counters dictate in order to use an ability. But you can't use an ability that says, say, -5 if you don't have 5 or more counters. Planeswalkers can be attaked (and hit with direct damage targeting players) and its controller's creatures can be used to block. When a planeswalker takes damage it loses that many counters. When it runs out it goes to the graveyard. And they're good because they have lots of options and can often get multiple "spells" off without any additional mana cost from you. Even if they get attacked and you can't block, at least you diverted attacks from yourself and tapped their creatures.
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

I'd prefer to find better aggressive vampires, especially if I can find any that only cost 1 mana. :P . Or any more powerful vampires that cost more, but deserve the cost. Technically, Driver of the Dead is my most powerful Vampire.

The planeswalker cards seem decent enough...still, I'm unsure how fond I actually am of them. I don't think they should be Mythic rare like they are, in any case, heh...
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

If you're limiting yourself to Standard, Stromkirk Noble is the only one (and it's awesome). Outside of Standard, you've got Guul Draz Vampire, Pulse Tracker and Vampire Lacerator, who are all great.

They're mythic rares because they're some of the most legendary characters in all of Magic. And they're pretty complicated, relatively speaking. Also in Limited formats (where rarity dictates how often they show up), they completely wreck everything so they don't want them showing up too often.
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

all of those cards look good, in particular Pulse Tracker. I've got a feeling getting hold of those cards will be challenging, even more so considering common cards most people wouldn't have bothered keeping.

Trust me to get hold of a mythic rare card and not see any potential for it then. :P
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

You'd be surprised! Especially if you have a store you can buy singles nearby.

They aren't for everyone. No worries. :3
Shirosune

Post by Shirosune »

Hmm...well I play both Magic and Yu-Gi-Oh, but right now all my Yu-Gi-Oh decks bite so...I'll just post the one for Magic for now.

Lands:

11 x Mountain
9 x Plains

Creatures:

4 x Bloodcrazed Neonate
3 x Rakish Heir
3 x Crossway Vampire
3 x Falkenrath Marauders
3 x Voiceless Spirit
3 x Selfless Cathar

Sorcery/Instants

1 x Relentless Assault
4 x Vampiric Fury
3 x Rebuke
2 x Spare from Evil
2 x Midnight Haunting
2 x Moment of Heroism

Enchants:

2 x Circle of Flame
3 x Curse of the Pierced Heart

Artifacts:

2 x Contagion Clasp

Card Count: 60

I'm open to hearing thoughts and or suggestions for it.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Crossway Vampire is not extraordinarily good. And Selfless Cathar is not as good as Doomed Traveler. Oblivion Ring is probably a better removal spell than Rebuke. Spare From Evil and Moment of Heroism are not incredibly useful spells; I would replace them with more aggressive creatures. 21 is kind of low for a deck this aggressive.
Shirosune

Post by Shirosune »

Hnn, while I had my reasons for most of the cards you just listed, I'll admit that I'm pretty much a complete rookie, so I'll take advice as it's given, and I'm always willing to give something a try...so yeah, here's the fallout of it.

-Changes-

Swapped Selfless Cather for Doomed Traveler.
Swapped Crossways Vampire for Night Revelers(Still probably not so great, but I don't really have that many red Vamps).
Swapped Rebukes for Oblivion Rings(Should have done this sooner, but they were tied up in another deck that was only recently dismantled for the sake of creating an EDH deck).
Swapped both Spare from Evil and Moment of Heroism for Unruly Mob.

-Questions-

1.) Can you see any use in adding Fiend Hunter to this deck?
2.) Er...sorry, but what do you mean by '21 is kind of low'?
3.) Would it hurt for the card count to exceed 60?
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

1.) Fiend Hunter is phenomenal. Definitely add it.
2.) 21 creatures (19, technically, but Midnight Haunting plays the same role).
3.) Yes it would. Virtually every 61+ card deck could be improved by removing the worst cards until you get to 60.

Also, EDH is now called Commander.
Shirosune

Post by Shirosune »

Hnn, I know EDH is called Commander now, it's just easier to type it the other way, and to be honest, those I play with where I am still tend to call it EDH so it's sorta turned into a habit.

That aside though, with the suggestions taken into account and my questions answered, the resulting deck.

Lands:

11 x Mountain
9 x Plains

Creatures:

4 x Bloodcrazed Neonate
4 x Rakish Heir
3 x Falkenrath Marauders
3 x Night Revelers
3 x Doomed Traveler
2 x Voiceless Spirit
2 x Fiend Hunter
2 x Unruly Mob

Sorcery/Instants

4 x Vampiric Fury
1 x Relentless Assault
2 x Midnight Haunting

Enchants:

2 x Circle of Flame
3 x Curse of the Pierced Heart
3 x Oblivion Ring

Artifacts:

2 x Contagion Clasp

Card Count: 60
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I would recommend more Fiend Hunters if you have them. Also, Curse of the Pierced Heart is too expensive. If you want one damage a turn, Goblin Fireslinger does the same thing for 1 (granted with summoning sickness). But there are other creatures (such as vampires) that do even better. Stromkirk Noble is fantastic but it's also not easy to come by so it's understandable if you don't have any.
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

woah, Crossway Vampire's not a half bad card. 3 mana for a 3/2 with a pretty nice effect?

...Also, wow, I want Unruly Mob so badly right now. I have 3 thatcher revolts in a different deck of mine, and Unruly Mob could get so powerful if I use even 1 Thatcher revolution beside it. If I manage to get all 3, that card turns into a 10/10. Great late game strategy.

And while I can say it, I really dislike Doomed Traveler, as well as any other card that comes back after destroying it once. Those decks are powerful, and severely annoying. I like to play with cards that kill my opponent's creature quickly (red+black woooo) but those cards are almost complete counters to that.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Champion of the Parish likes Thatcher Revolt too.

Use spells like Pillar of Flame. If it doesn't go to the graveyard, they don't get a spirit.
Shirosune

Post by Shirosune »

0_o Just ran across a set of misplaced cards I had, among which is a black vampire that is seriously making consider doing the whole red/black vampire deck thing(I typically hate playing black for some reason). The vampire in question being Bloodlord of Vaasgoth, and I gotta say, holy carp his effect rocks. He is an epic rare though, so I suppose I should have expected it to be good...even if he's a bit pricy to get out on the board.

Anyway, back to the subject of my current deck. Took me a little bit of doing, but I found some stuff to replace Pieced Heart with among a few other things. So I pulled what I felt I could sacrifice to add in the following.

2 x Nightbird's Clutches
3 x Furor of the Bitten
1 x Curse of the Stalked Prey
2 x Fiend Hunter(Making 4 total in the deck)

What got pulled

3 x Curse of the Pierce Heart
2 x Vampiric Fury
1 x Night Revelers
2 x Voiceless Spirit

Also...Stromkirk Noble...so much want...*Drools a little and paws at an image of it*
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I'd probably say Vampiric Fury is better than Nightbird's Clutches. It's pretty great with vampires.

Also remember Furor of the Bitten can be placed on opponents' creatures too, if you really want to clear a blocker out of the way. :3
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

I make a black/red Vampire deck, then suddenly everyone makes a black/red vampire deck. What am I, the popular kid at school? :P
Last edited by 44R0NM10 on Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Yes, you totally are. *giggles*
Shirosune

Post by Shirosune »

*Jokingly sticks tongue out at R0N* I never said I was gonna make one, just said that the card I found made it tempting. To be honest though, even if I were to make one it probably wouldn't stick around long. Powerful as I know the color can be, I really just don't find enjoyment in playing with black/anything decks...stupid as the reasoning is, I think it's mostly because I don't like the land type required for it.

@Sleet: I'll admit that I can see the draw of having a number Vampiric Fury in this deck, I mean I made a point of leaving in two as opposed to dropping it to one, but the truth is that the power bonus from it is short lived and only useable on one of my creatures. Where as a well played Nightbird's Clutches, used in combination with most of the vampires I have in this deck and especially if I can remove all possible blockers in one round with it, can lead to permanent growth for each of the vampires I attack with that turn. So I'll be honest, out of the two cards and especially given that their costs are the same I see Nightbird's Clutches as being the better card for this deck.

As to the bit with Furor of the Bitten, I'll definitely make sure to keep that possibility in mind.
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

I have a thing against white and blue cards Shiro, for pretty much the same reason. White cards are too noble for me, and blue cards tend to be disgusting (that being said, I keep getting zombies for some reason...why are zombies blue anyway? Don't say anything like 'humans are 80% water please. :P ).

Anyway, I need more Vampiric fury's. They'd come in so handy with my deck right now...Wanna trade? *shot*
Shirosune

Post by Shirosune »

Eh, I can see where you're coming from with that comment on white cards, a lot of them do seem to have this 'holier than thou' feel to them, ne? But there are a few that get nice and dirty so, yeah. As to blue cards, there are a few that really are a bit grotesque, but there are also a few I rather enjoy. And the whole zombies being blue thing is something I don't really get either to be honest. Maybe it was just a situation where they defaulted to it because they had already used all the other color combos for other things.

And I know you were joking about it, but trading online isn't actually something I'm opposed to. I've found in the past that doing so can be a very good way to get a hold of things that might not be readily available in the area one lives.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

White is the color of community. It's a color with a lot of nobleness and concern for the greater good, but it's also a color with cultish tendencies. Not all the colors are all good or all bad.

Zombies are only partially blue on Innistrad. Black zombies are the traditional ones, and blue zombies are ones like Frankenstein's monster, created with alchemy/science (which is very blue).
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

So, whilst talking to the store worker at my local Travelling Man, he mentioned they're not allowed to do a 'Magic Friday' on any day but Friday. That's really stupid in my opinion. Not only does this force competition between stores, but it doesn't let the customers do Magic on any other night (allowing Wizards to make a fair amount more profit, with no cost to themselves).

Anybody know why 'Magic Friday' is so strict about being on Friday? (Beside the name.)
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

You actually can hold sanctioned events on other days. My store, for instance, does Standard tournaments on Wednesday. They just cannot be labeled "Friday Night Magic." And you also can't give out the FNM promos. Everything else, however, is allowed. Perhaps they didn't know about that?
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

perhaps they just want recognition from the online website, or maybe it's different in England.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I dunno, the online website, at least for here, recognizes non-FNM events too.
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

So I just got back from a small Magic tournament that one of my friends brought me to.

I felt so out of place. I don't play or even know the first thing about Magic, and just sat in a corner and worked on my fan-fic here for most of the time.

She tried to get me to play a little saying that it was easy, but it sure didn't seem so. But I had a nice time anyway. I knew a few of the people there from school so it wasn't like I felt totally out of place.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Have her teach you one-on-one. Or I can teach you over Skype if you'd like! It's pretty fun once you get going.
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

It's not that I feel I would have a problem learning it, it's just that I have no desire to.

Although the offer is tempting so I could learn your gender (If you even actually have one :P ), I have to say no. Maybe sometime in the future I may want to. Just not right now.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

It'd just be over text. I'm a very good Magic teacher I've been told.
Zukio

Post by Zukio »

I was cleaning my closet earlier and found that I had an entire deck of Yugioh cards. I don't even remember playing the game or buying the cards, but it is basically a copy of Yugi Moto's deck from the show. I don't know what to do with them, especially since I don't know anyone who plays that anymore.
I like Pie!!!
Go ahead and send me a message, maybe we could talk about pie!
GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!!
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

if you have the original packaging, you sell them on Ebay for a semi-decent price. :P
Zukio

Post by Zukio »

That thought has crossed my mind, but I only have the cards so I would probably have to sell them individually. I might just sell them at a games store.
I like Pie!!!
Go ahead and send me a message, maybe we could talk about pie!
GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!!
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I'm not sure a games store would buy them, honestly. Especially considering it's a game as power-creeping as Yu-Gi-Oh!, where old cards like that are mostly worthless.

So who's excited for the new Magic set, Return to Ravnica? *raises paw*
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

I'm not looking forward to it, my main deck's gonna have about 3 cards that are gonna turn illegal...But yeah, other than that, I'd like to check it out. :P

And, you never know Sleet. Depends which deck it is. Getting hold of 'Swift Gaia the Fierce Knight' would be quite lucky. The problem with Yu Gi Oh is that deck's have gotten quite specified now. The cards you can sell are cards that'd be useful to any deck, or cards that are useful to one deck in particular. Swift Gaia or Buster Blader are good cards in Yugi's deck, but they're not good for any old deck. Only specified ones. Looking at Ebay, Buster Blader is selling here there and everywhere though, and Swift Gaia isn't selling anywhere. Could be a good sign.
FlintTheSquirrel

Post by FlintTheSquirrel »

If you ever need Magic Cards, the old man (Pawn Shop) at our place has thousands of them. I have no interest in them, and he never seems to sell them, so they may be cheap. *Shrugs*

I still hold interest in Pokemon Cards though. I buy them when I can at the Flea Market. I got soooo many I still need to put in, but I have a hard time mustering up the effort needed to sort through them. XP
I would really want to play Pokemon Cards again, but have no friends, and a club is out of the question since I'm to old.