Pet Friendly: Haven

Put down the character sheets and walk away!

Moderators: CyberDragon, Serence Frostbite

caelei

Pet Friendly: Haven

Post by caelei »

"I'll be talking to Binti," Felix said.
The excitement was evident in his voice, in the shine of his eyes, in the set of his shoulders. In fact. It was a marked difference. Felix was... happy.
Pavelle suddenly realized that even though he had seemed at ease in Richardson Valley, Felix really was wild. He was a wild raccoon. And he belonged out here. Being in the neighborhood, surrounded by unfamiliar faces, pets, and humans (which she realized he might never have come into close contact with before) had unsettled him. He'd hid it well, but it had truly made him uneasy. She thought, looking around, that she finally understood why Felix had wanted to leave Richardson Valley so much.
Because he had been alone and different. An alien. A foreign entity.
Now she and her brother had reversed roles.

"Edie, you listening?" he asked. He tilted his head to the side. He was still wearing his backpack. For once there was no matchbox in his hands. He had no need to burn matches out here in the forest, a habit he'd formed at some point in his life to calm himself down. He wasn't nervous here. He belonged.
Pavelle was suddenly very aware of the collar around her neck. She reached up and wrapped her hand around the little glass ruby at the front. She remembered choosing it because it had been shiny. What a ridiculous and petty reason to buy something, but she'd been a different person back then. A different pet. Much younger, and just as afraid. She'd probably felt how she was feeling now. Questioning. And trying to make sense of it all. Losing her family, and gaining another. Now she was just returning to the one she had originally lost. So this was no big deal, right?
Except now she had a collar. A collar that she supposed didn't much define her anymore. What was she now, exactly? Not a pet. And she wasn't the same as Felix, no matter how much he wanted her to be. Was she a stray?
Did she have a home?
She'd have to make one out here.

It was actually a pretty place, if she could get past her initial apprehensions. She'd always been afraid of the forest. Trekking through it for a couple days had served to desensitize her somewhat, that was why she wasn't bouncing off the trees and clutching at Felix in nervousness. If she was going to live here, she'd have to give that fear up. And anyways. Hers had been a pet's fear, hadn't it? Afraid of the woods, of the trees and the closeness. Afraid of people who could be lurking around in orange vests and mud-splattered boots, and one with her father's face. But there were no people out here. That was disquieting, in itself. No people. There were no people. Just... quiet.

A hand touched her shoulder, very gently. She realized she'd been staring into space. She blinked, looked up at Felix. He looked back down at her, concerned. "I can stay with you, if you--"

"No, I'm fine. Just tired." She tried to smile.

"Alright..." He said it uncertainly, watching her. A moment passed. She tried to make her smile look more convincing. Maybe she managed to, because the next thing he said was, "Just stay here, okay? Don't need you getting lost. I'll be talking to Binti, but I've got to find her first. There's nobody here right now, but after I find someone the others should come streaming to this place to meet you. So just. Stay here. I'll be back." He turned, then paused. Then, with a smile, Felix turned back. The excitement was there again. She had to look down so that she wouldn't spoil it with her own mood. "Just. Isn't this great? I forgot how good it smelled. How beautiful it is out here. Things are going to be better now that you're here."

For some reason, that did not make her feel any better. Better? Pavelle wondered. But why would things need to be better?
"Felix, is something the matter--" She broke off as she raised her eyes again. Her brother was already gone. He certainly was quiet when he walked. He'd left, and she hadn't even noticed. Today she was really off her game.

And now she really was alone.

It was mid morning. The sun shone down in uneven splotches through the trees' branches. It was mostly a coniferous forest. The ground felt almost spongy beneath your feet when you walked. Fallen pine needles and soft, low bushes and eager weeds created a shield to protect any moss-furred roots that had managed to poke out of the ground, catching at your feet and tripping you up if you didn't pay attention. They curled their fingers into the thick, early-summer grass. It was tall in most places, but had been worn down in distinct paths which wound off in many crisscrossing directions, until they finally faded out of sight. Besides the paths, the only sign of habitation was a rather large ring of dirt, packed down from the trampling of many feet over many days. Felix had sat her on a big rock at the outer edge of the ring, so that its entirety lay directly in front of her. Pavelle supposed, curling her toes on the cool, packed dirt, that this was their meeting place. Her family's. She had to remind herself that they were her family. But really they were all strangers. Unfamiliar faces, and here she was waiting for them. Thinking about meeting them, actually talking to them, made her feel rather panicked. Her heartbeat picked up. She had to take deep breaths to try to calm herself down, eyes constantly surveying her surroundings.

Well, at least Felix had been right. It was pretty out here. She didn't know if she'd call it beautiful, but then again she'd once imagined stacks of money to be beautiful. That had been before, though. And this was now. Things were different.
She took a deep breath through her nose. The air smelled sweet. Like pine and spruce. Almost flowery. Though she could smell dirt and grass, too, and there was a freshness in the air that hinted of a nearby stream. She quirked her ears up, but she couldn't hear it. This place was very quiet. Peaceful.

Pavelle closed her eyes, turning her face up, towards the sky. She could imagine the mountains that loomed from the forest, far to the south and to the west. This part of the forest was almost enclosed on two sides by the mountains, and the runoff from them caused this area to be very green and very vibrant, with a lot of trickling streams, a couple larger rivers. Felix had even said that there were two lakes nearby, each within a day and a half's journey of the other. And though it didn't seem like it now, there was a lot of wildlife around. Probably whole families of squirrels and mice and birds and rabbits were checking her out as she sat here on her rock, waiting. She didn't bother to open her eyes to check. Even though she was perceptive, she doubted she would see them unless they wanted to be seen. She could understand their perspective. Right now, she felt that she didn't want to be seen.

Well, maybe Felix wouldn't be able to find this Binti that he was looking for. Maybe the others were too busy to come visit with her. Maybe she could postpone this meeting to another day.
Yeah, and maybe pigs could fly.
Maybe the dead could come back to life.
Pavelle had to keep away from that line of thought, from the memory of her mother's face --her human mother's-- that swam up in her mind's eye. She bit her lip and hunched forward on the rock, pulling her knees up to her chest and wrapping her arms tightly around them. She sat on her rock and waited, and hoped that maybe her new family and new home would make her forget her old.

((Phew, pretty long. Hopefully that's an adequate first post. A little rusty, but that's okay. I tried to describe the forest enough that you get the picture of what it might look like. The trees are relatively close together, and there's a lot of green life. And animal life, I suppose.
I don't think I'll change this post much, but I might tweak it a bit to make allowances for other characters, if need be.
But for now... Haven is officially open for posting. Hoorah.))
(Richardson Valley)
Magnus: S-10 P-5 E-8 C-7 I-2 A-3 L-5

(Haven)
Pavelle: S-3 P-7 E-3 C-5 I-9 A-10 L-5
Felix: S-6 P-7 E-3 C-3 I-8 A-10 L-5
Grif: S-5 P-6 E-5 C-8 I-7 A-5 L-6
razgriz

Re: Pet Friendly: Haven

Post by razgriz »

It was early in the morning, time to get to work. Felix slowly began to awake in his den. It was a very nice hole beneath a tree with room for him and perhaps a few others. Over the exit there were leaves and vines arranged so as to hide the way in. It could only be found if its existence was known about ahead of time. In the round back of the den from from it, the lynx stretched and quietly yawned. Today would be a day of foraging, perhaps some hunting and whatever else came to mind. Lately he'd had lots of free time.

Slowly he stood and walked towards the door, grabbing his backpack on the way. Outside he found the sun just beginning to peak over the horizon and as usual, all was still except for the sound of a few crickets and other early morning creatures. He stretched again and began to follow a small path towards what he called 'the garden'. It was a small patch he'd been keeping an eye on. It contained a number of wild vegies and berries. This made life a bit easier. It was certainly better than wandering the forest in search of something to eat.

Slowly, Felix bent over the plants and removed some of the edible parts. As he worked though, he picked up on a new scent. This place didn't change much, but he smelled something new. It was... a weak smell of humans and human things but mixed with it was the smell of pets and animals. It could be hunters, he had to investigate. He followed the smell and eventually came on paw prints in the dirt. They were for raccoons, which, weren't normally used in hunting, or were they the hunted?

Silently, he padded forward until he found a lone raccoon, wearing a collar. That was odd. It stood out, that was certain. He walked up behind her and tapped her shoulder, "Hello" he said, "are you a pet or a feral? You smell like humans like pets do. Are you lost?"

<Meanwhile>

It was morning in the zoo. Cody was already awake to watch the sunrise. He was perched on the highest rock in the snow leopard's habitat, crouched there with his tail dangling down behind him while the world lit up. It was going to be a busy day. Fourteen schools were coming here. That was a LOT of kids to entertain. Within a few hours, any sense of 'calm' would cease to exist around here.

Once the sun was all the way over the horizon, Cody laid there on his rock to sun himself while below the zoo staff were preparing breakfast for all the different animals. Today he'd be having waffles, chicken and gravy. As odd as it sounded, it was a perfect combination. Maybe, after everyone was through, he could sneak out for a night on the town. There would perhaps be a concert or some museums doing special presentations or who knew what. Maybe he could drag Felix through a science museum and ride on the flight simulators there.

(OOC: Not much for Cody yet adn I didn't wanna write his stuff all the way into the day. :P)
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

Pavelle was right about rabbits watching her. Jessica sat behind a nearby tree, wary of the collared raccoon. Collars meant humans, and humans often meant danger.
"So what are we looking at?" Jack whispered to his sister.
"I thought I told you to stay in the hole."
"You said, and I quote, 'stay here'. I'm still in the woods, aren't I?"
"You know what I meant. just... stay behind this tree. I'm going to go see if I can find out why that pet is here."
She hopped a bit closer, still attempting to hide, so she could here what the raccoon and the lynx were talking about.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
caelei

Post by caelei »

Pavelle felt a tap on her shoulder, from behind. She breathed out a sigh, turning. "Felix--" she began, the relief evident in her voice.
"Hello" he said, "are you a pet or a feral? You smell like humans like pets do. Are you lost?"
The relief twisted to a wild, sudden fear. Pavelle slipped from her rock, dancing back a couple feet, away from the strange animal. She tried to keep her chest from heaving, her eyes from going wide and scared. She shouldn't assume that this lynx was any danger... but then again, it would be stupid to assume that he wasn't. Forest creatures were dangerous, if they wanted to be. They didn't live luxury lives. They were all muscle, all smart and ready to do what it took to survive. Felix was that way, though not usually around her. It was obvious looking at this lynx that he was no simple pet.

But then again... she wasn't either, was she? Not anymore.
Pavelle look a deep breath, and then forced her body to move into a position that seemed more... calm. She didn't want to trigger any instincts or anything by appearing on guard, ready to fight. She didn't really know how wild animals worked; she'd forgotten that long ago. Something she'd just done, by backing away and so carelessly broadcasting her fear, might have insulted him or aggravated him for all she knew. Now, she'd have to try to troubleshoot. Make herself seem as docile as possible.

"Sorry about that," she said, forming the words carefully. She spoke in a low, low tone. Mostly trying to keep the fear and nervousness from her voice. She wasn't sure if she succeeded. Come on! she thought, You're a better actress than this!
She cleared her throat, adding on, wary of giving too much or too little information, "I'm neither pet nor feral. Perhaps you could call me a stray? A free agent?" She tried to summon her smile again. It felt a little weak, even to her. "Sorry about the... cautiousness. I'm just-- I'm just not used to... wild animals." She waved a hand to encompass him. "You startled me. I was expecting someone else."
(Richardson Valley)

(Haven)
razgriz

Post by razgriz »

The whole scene was rather amusing to Felix. This animal seemed pretty harmless, so he quietly laughed at her over-reaction. Really, when someone 'knows' your name then leaps up and backs away after you've already said a few words... Next time he'd have to come up and yell 'BOO!' Or something along those lines just too scare this girl, perhaps repeat it enough that she wouldn't be so scareable. It worked with others.

After he stopped laughing, Felix leaned on the rock the raccoon had been sitting on, "I think you just need to calm down," he said, beginning to make jokes of the world both true and rather stretched, "the woods aren't that bad. You just need to avoid your specie's predators... I mainly prey on rabbits but lately I've been more of a vegetarian. Definitely not eating Raccoons. I tried a bite of one of you guys once, one I found run over on the road... Salty, fatty and greasy, if that car didn't get him his own arteries would from all the bad kinds of human food." This was rather true. He did try it and it did taste terrible. He guessed it was what humans tasted like, flavored by all the things they were poisioning themselves with. You are what you eat.

The cat focused on the raccoons collar, "so, if you aren't a pet and you aren't a feral, what brings you to the almost exclusively feral woods?" he asked, "there's only a handful of any pets or anyone like pets here... The strays I think stick closer to the cities to have an easier time getting food."
Keeshah
Game Master

Post by Keeshah »

Swiftpaw had spent the morning tediously braiding pea-vines into rope. braiding three vines together into one long string. then braiding three of the pre-braided vines together, into a 9 vine unit. and finally braiding the 9 vine units into 27 vine rope.
Now that she had her rope made, she was ready to set out her snares.
She sets it where a game trail, by the scent and worn patch, goes into a brier patch.

Next the cunning little coyote goes down to where the stream feeds into the pond.
Untiring the deer leather strap that holds her prized survival knife to her waist, digging a hole and hiding it carefully at the edge of the woods, before she slips out into the water.
Swimming around out in the pond feeling for the fish traps lurking out there. bringing the basket-weave traps back to shore one by one. While diving under the water and feeling around for the fourth and final trap, something grabs her paw! suddenly pulling her down deeper under the water. She struggles and kicks off the muddy bottom to get her head back to the surface.. (Gasp!) sending up a spray of splashing water, as she battles with the huge catfish that grabbed her paw.. turning her about in the water, as it now tries to swim away her about in the water and taking her farther from the shore where the water gets deeper.
She curls her body about the huge fish, hanging onto to it as best she can, as her lungs burned, she gnaws on the back of the fishes head. Her teeth and fangs sliding on the scales as she tries to deliver a killing bite to the thrashing fish. Having put too much effort into catching this fish to just let it go now, not to mention not willing to let something attack her and get away with it.. She gets her feet on a sunken log and pushes off it to get to the surface again. (Gasp) (Wheeze) Splashing and thrashing in the water again, before dragged under again.. Biting and gnashing at the catfish, finally getting through the scales to get into the meat of the huge fish. When her scruff is grabbed, followed by a feeling of being pulled backwards in the water, back twords the safety of the shore.
Hang on to that! i gots you.
Swiftpaw knew that voice! altho the big, drooling, black lab usually annoyed her with his hyperness... and consent drool. Ralf was like a ray of sunshine in the dark muddy waters..
Together they dragged the huge fish up onto the beach, Ralf finally dispatching it as Swiftpaw coughed up water and wheeze for breath on the sandy shore..
Wow! that is a big one, Grif will be pleased.
You think so? (pant pant) Thanks for pulling me back in Ralf. (Pant Pant)
Aww shucks, it wasn't nuttin, besides I gots to go swimming instead of walking patrol!
Swiftpaw coughs up some more water, finally getting enough strength back to shake the water out her fur. (shake shake) sending a spray of water flying.
You want to take all the fish back to Grif? The coyote gal says with a coy smile.
Ralf now also shakes himself out, sending his trademark drool flying as well as the water spray.
Oh, can I!! I don't get to be hunter often!
By my guest. But remember to get back to your patrolling after you drop the fish off in the camp.
Swiftpaw empties out the fish traps, re-baits them and swims back out to place them back into the water. climbing out of the water.. Oh Carp!.. there's still a trap out there. turning around and slinking back out into the water to find the forth trap for the second time.. finally finding it she gets it to shore to find that it's empty..
Of course.. risk my life for nothing.. She grumps. as she re-baits it and sets it back out in the water..
Ralf had gathered up all of the catch of fish with a wave, and runs off back to Grif's camp site.

Swiftpaw, washes out her fur, shaking out a final time. She goes and digs up her knife, tieing the deer leather belt back about her waist.
She sets off back into the woods. climbing up a tree in a clearing, laying out on a branch to dry and rest out in the sun on the limb..
what a day...

(post is long enough??) :roll:
Rav/Ravage (RV) - M - German King Shepard: Str-7 Per-6 End-7 Cha-5 Int-5 Agi-6 Luck-6
Foxy Brown (Zootopia) - M - Coyote/RedWolf: Str-6 Per-7 End-6 Cha-4 Int-8 Agi-7 Luck-4
Oreo (RA) - M - Spotted Skunk: Str-5 Per-6 End-6 Cha-5 Int-7 Agi-8 Luck-5
caelei

Post by caelei »

Rather than making her feel uncomfortable, the lynx's laughter helped to ease Pavelle's nervousness. She'd been right to be cautious... but it seemed that he was a "nice guy." Or at least he wanted to appear that way. Pavelle knew that she should probably give him the benefit of the doubt. He'd done nothing so far to offend her, besides perhaps --accidentally or purposefully, whichever-- sneaking up behind her. However, she'd grown up so afraid of the forest, and then after that run-in with Grif's feral pack... better safe than sorry, right?
"You just need to avoid your specie's predators... I mainly prey on rabbits but lately I've been more of a vegetarian. Definitely not eating Raccoons. I tried a bite of one of you guys once, one I found run over on the road... Salty, fatty and greasy, if that car didn't get him his own arteries would from all the bad kinds of human food."
...right, she thought, better safe than sorry. So this guy had tried to eat raccoon meat? She shouldn't be so surprised, she should know that of course there are predators off in the wild, logically she knew that... but actually being confronted by someone who said that she would taste too salty and greasy... it made her skin crawl. Now she knew how cows must feel. Well, the smart ones, anyways. Regardless, she still felt that this lynx was relatively benign. At least for the moment. Hopefully, he'd stay that way.
"so, if you aren't a pet and you aren't a feral, what brings you to the almost exclusively feral woods?" he asked, "there's only a handful of any pets or anyone like pets here... The strays I think stick closer to the cities to have an easier time getting food."
This time it was harder to fight back the memories of her mother's thin, pale face, of the outstretched hand that Pavelle had held on to for hours at a time, waiting and watching and hoping and knowing... but better to focus on the here and now. She couldn't do that. She couldn't think about that. That had been part of the reason she'd left. She just couldn't, after all that time fighting so hard to get medicine and money, the stealing and pawning and Venison showing up with chemo that he had worked so hard to procure just to help... No, she couldn't stay after all that disappointment and grief, and the thought of her mother never around again. And Dad telling her to leave.

But no. She wasn't going to think about that. Not now. Hopefully not ever.

She realized that she'd blanked out again. That had started happening. She tried so hard to stay from the past that she lost herself in the present. It was a problem, it really was. Eventually she'd figure out how to fix it. But for now, the silence was stretching on too long. She crossed her arms and hunched her shoulders in. It was cool enough in the shade that her posture might appear just to be a ward against the slight, slight chill. Instead of a ward against the memories. "Uh," she said rather awkwardly, "Um. Just needed a... change. And this is where my-- my family," she had to force the word from her mouth, "lives. So here I am." Then, to switch subjects. "I'm Pavelle Nels--" She broke off again. Not a Nelson. Not any longer. She couldn't think of herself like that. But she also couldn't bear to tell him that her name was Edie, either. Edie was who she'd once been, last time she'd lived in the woods. Pavelle Nelson was her pet name. Now she was just. Just.
"Just Pavelle," she said with a tight smile, "What's your name?"
(Richardson Valley)

(Haven)
razgriz

Post by razgriz »

The cat was happy the raccoon stopped freaking out... His jokes worked... And then she got quiet. Good grief, what do humans do their pets... that's supposed to be the EASY life he thought with the sudden silence. Hopefully this blight wouldn't affect her in the wilds too much. It was one thing to suddenly freeze when talking... It was another to freeze when a bear, wolf or other predator was chasing you... In the best case that ended in a nasty bump and in the worst cases it was unpleasant to be prey that day. It seemed the only good life was wild life if being a pet left you like this... Was that why zoo animals were cared for so that they could return to the wild relatively easily?

"It doesn't sound much like they're family" Felix said, "is it your first time meeting them?.. Or are they like my family, disasters follow them everywhere they go?" He thought back to his parents' mutual injuries that got him briefly in a zoo, the fact that every time he saw them they managed to have some bad luck. Once it was a tree, then a boulder, and somehow a badger pack with two trucks a bus and four sporks. He shook his head at the recollection, "mine seem only to get themselves into mischief. An accident with busses, tourists chasing them for a steak, the whole nine yards... Their paw prints and tracks have got to be everywhere in Europe and Russia."

And names... earlier she'd almost said his... Maybe there was another? Or perhaps just someone really close. "My name is Felix," he answered, "isn't Pavelle a male name? There was a Pavelle Chekov on that show... Star Trek, he was from Mother Russia." He thought for a second then, "what do you know of survival? If you're new here I could help you a bit... I've been working at teaching a zoo friend of mine some survival stuff... He only knows how to build things, but tell him to hide his den and he thinks you're just supposed to surround it in leaves."
Daxter

Post by Daxter »

A large, shadowy figure slowly crept along the forest's undergrowth, the odd twig or branch cracking underneath his weight, and was low enough to seem like he was dragging himself. Rustles from the plant life greeted him with every step, Whatever was watching him, didn't want to be seen at all, and his head constantly darted from side to side to see what was causing the noise, paranoid.

The odd, heavenly ray of light that managed to break through the thick roof of branches and leaves would cause the fur of the animal to gleam like he was wearing a suit of black armour. Stripes of matted white, stained by the mud and dirt of the ground, could be seen littered along the animal on areas like his underbelly, face. But one stripe stood out in the sun's gaze, long from the bottom of the back to the tip of his tail. He looked like an overgrown skunk...

Yet he was a wolf with the whole package: teeth, claws and a rumbling stomach. His head peered into a bush, possibly for spying on his prey, the twigs brushing against his face like the sharp nails. However, an unusual sounds emitted from the bush, only revealed when the wolf's head jerked back.

His muzzle was encased in a thick cover of sticky purple juices, his jaw moving lazily up and down as he tried furiously to swallow the berries he thought looked delicious earlier. Suddenly, his face turned sour, literally, and he gave a low moan as he collapsed to the floor and clutched his stomach painfully.
Brit's life consists of:
Eating
Sleeping
Kicking tumblebumble

Britain's forecast today: RAIN
~\Rook/~

Post by ~\Rook/~ »

A stray beam of morning light shone into the hollow of a dead pine tree where a red ball of fur lay sleeping..

He woke up, blocking the painfull light with a paw.

"Geh, Morning already?" He moaned, yawning and shuffling around.

He then realises he's alone again..

He sighs and rubs his ears. "Gotta get used to that.. Being alone.." he murmured, stretching and yawning again. He then ruffles his tail and pops his head out the hole in the tree.

Looking around, it was a clear day in.. wherever he was.. After getting off that boat he didn't really pay attension to where he ended up..

Just then he notices a wolf, lying below. He jumps back a bit in case it saw him, but it didn't move.. He peers over, examining it..
It seemed to have purple juices over it's muzzle, it must've ate those bad berries.. He's eaten them too, made his stomach turn..

Being curious, he clambered out the tree and got closer.. He'd never been this close to a wolf before.. It was un-nerving, but facinating..

The squirrel swallowed, then spoke to it.

"Er, Mr. Wolf? You okay?"
Profile Picture by Hukley
Character Reference
Daxter

Post by Daxter »

His eyelids creaking slowly open, he stared curiously at the small, furry animal in front of him, wondering who in hell that was on the tree. Replying with a brief grunt and another long agonising moan of pain, he twisted to his side looking away from the small, woodland creature.

He gave a helpless look at the tiny animal and his paws went for his stomach again which dug in as if he was trying to rip his own guts out. He panted heavily onto the ground, his eyes shut tight like a vice and muttered desperately at the animal,

"Help."
Brit's life consists of:
Eating
Sleeping
Kicking tumblebumble

~\Rook/~

Post by ~\Rook/~ »

The Squirrel looked worried now, slightly panicking.

"I-I uh.." was all he could say at that point..

Oh, geez.. what do I do now.. He thought, his panic rising now.

He suddenly remembered what the keepers did if an animal was hurt or loose; They go get help!

"I'll, uh, go get help! Stay here!" he stuttered.

Then as quick as a dart, he ran off to try and find help..
Character Reference
caelei

Post by caelei »

"It doesn't sound much like they're family" Felix said, "is it your first time meeting them?.. Or are they like my family, disasters follow them everywhere they go?"
"mine seem only to get themselves into mischief. An accident with busses, tourists chasing them for a steak, the whole nine yards... Their paw prints and tracks have got to be everywhere in Europe and Russia."
Pavelle couldn't help but let out a bark of laughter at the mental image his words conjured up, even though she didn't quite feel like laughing. And the laughter rolled smoothly into a response to his questions, much to her surprise.
"It's not exactly my first time meeting them." She paused, deliberating. But what could it hurt to talk to him? She didn't suppose he could use any information against her... and she honestly couldn't find a reason to really suspect him. She found herself letting her guard down, slowly taking a more neutral stance, no longer ready to run or fight or do whatever she had to do. Her mouth continued on, "I mean. I guess I was... born here. Years ago. But I got lost..." just a little white lie, but she didn't want to think about that either, "And some humans found me. I really can't remember the details, much, it's all fuzzy. Almost like there's a blank..." she trailed off. "But the raccoons here are my original family. I just don't remember them. I can't even recall their faces, no matter how hard I try. I didn't even recognize my own brother when he came knocking at my door..." Her tone turned wry. He'd come knocking only in the figurative sense of the word. Really, he'd broken in. But that was Felix for you. Pavelle twisted her mouth into a grimace, about to say more, perhaps about Felix or her fear of the woods or Richardson Valley and her family there--

Wait. No.

She put a hand to her mouth to silence herself, suddenly realizing how very chatty she'd just been. She didn't know what it was about this lynx, perhaps because he was friendly and she friendless, but she found it almost alarmingly easy to talk to him. ((Go, Felix's high charisma!)) She wanted to talk to him, even if it meant giving away information about herself, which wasn't like her. Jeez, she was so mixed up. She knew she wasn't confused, she didn't feel confused, she just felt... lonely. Alone in the forest, in an unfamiliar, unsettling environment, and she seriously doubted if she would ever fit in here. It didn't feel like she would. But this lynx made her feel like maybe it wouldn't be so bad... and that was bad in itself. This was a dangerous place. She could literally be eaten. And there were always ferals... She seriously needed to get a grip.
"My name is Felix," he answered, "isn't Pavelle a male name? There was a Pavelle Chekov on that show... Star Trek, he was from Mother Russia." He thought for a second then, "what do you know of survival? If you're new here I could help you a bit... I've been working at teaching a zoo friend of mine some survival stuff... He only knows how to build things, but tell him to hide his den and he thinks you're just supposed to surround it in leaves."
"Your name. Is. Felix...?" she said, shocked, unintentionally separating her words. An array of emotions flickered through her. Amusement and surprise and even a bit of wariness... though she couldn't imagine why. Vaguely she felt herself saying, "A male name? Perhaps. I think my mom," --just don't think about it-- "picked it. She could be rather quirky sometimes." And she could be sick, coughing and hacking, and finally in the hospital and dying-- don't think about it. She hurriedly supplied more words, wondering if this lynx thought she was nuts, and honestly she didn't feel very sane, "My brother's name is Felix. As for the survival stuff... well, probably not much. I lived most of my life as a pet. I like to think I could handle myself, but I could always use some help." But no, that was bad. Because if he helped her then she'd be in debt to him, and then she'd have to lend him some sort of favor at some point in time because she would not be in debt to anyone, and so now she had to think of some excuse to not accept his help.

"Erm. Actually, now that I think about it... There is my new, er, old family, and they could always teach me. And there's my brother, too. So... um. I guess... not?" She frowned. Yeah. He probably thought she was crazy. She really needed to just stop thinking. About everything. She just needed to calm her mind down. It kept trying to return to forbidden subjects, and she could not let that happen because allowing herself to think about those subjects would make them... real. She didn't want them to be real. So then. She should just. Act. Normal.

...yeah.

((Sorry if this post seems really fragmented. Just... pretend I'm just a really good writer and am purposefully wrecking the fluidity of this post in reflection of Pavelle's confusion... yes, I did it stylistically. Yes. That.
And wow that was unintentionally long.))
(Richardson Valley)

(Haven)
Roarin

Post by Roarin »

Leaving was the only sane option left on the table. It was the right decision. The right decision. "The right decision... The right decison...". Muttered the conflicted German Shepherd. His head hung low as he made his way to...somewhere. In hopes of getting away. Right, get away. Leave it all behind.

It all seemed so simple the night before. His owners were gonna give him away, They were going to give him back to. Back to... North shook his head at the thought. "I just have keep a focused mind.". He said to himself. Last night, his conscience was clear. He was gonna do it. And next day, he did. He left. And he never felt more free in his life. But he also never felt more scared. Now, here he was, alone. No safety net, no dry food at 6 o clock, no dog toys... Walking on a dirt path through the forest

He was now, in the forest, mainly because he was too busy thinking to realize where he was going. His plan was to stick to the streets and roads, maybe find another town, or something. He curled his hands into a fist as he trod noisily through the leaves. He could always turn around. He had a compass. But the action of turning around would defy his goal of leaving. It would show he wasn't sure of himself. And he had to prove he was right.

And great... Now he smelled fish for some reason. His stomach growled in response. North growled in frustration, taking out most of his anger on a nearby tree. A solid kick left the tree's branches shaking, and a searing pain in the shepherd's foot.
"Sleep is due to me... And I have a dream to live."

Book Log: I, Claudius - Robert Graves
Ref Ref!
razgriz

Post by razgriz »

The cat watched the raccoon closely. Maybe it was Soren's comic books or some other accursed thing he'd exposed the Lynx too, but, he wanted to help. Oh well, why fight nature. He had not the slightest reason to harm her and she couldn't really harm him. Besides, maybe he could coerce her into some fun. His lonely hermit-like life could use some interruptions to it. Not to mention that it would give him a chance to see if he could teach someone else anything about survival, should he ever have cubs that would need to be taught.

"Yes, Felix is a male name" he said giggling, "maybe Felixus or something would make it more common for a girl. It originates around Germany I think, or maybe France?" Then the thought of another person named Felix. Mischief ho! What confusion there would be. "I guess that will be rather funny then that we share a name. People will talk about us and become confused at first. 'Hey, have you met Felix yet', 'yes, he's a Lynx that's been here for ages', 'no, he's a raccoon', 'you're blind, how can you confuse a raccoon for a lynx or a lynx for a raccoon?!' I think it'll be funny."

Then about teaching her. Raccoons could teach her to be a raccoon, but, sometimes that wasn't quite enough. It was a single view point. He'd learned from four lynxes, two snow leopards, a wolf and a bear about survival, along with many survival books. It really helped overall. Each species has its own natural habits. Foxes dig dens, bears eat fish and establish a very good territory, snow leopards do a lot of climbing and jumping, wolves surround their prey. Each one has a valid method that any other species could outright take or adapt to fit their purposes. In his case, he could show her what he knows and how a predator thinks, given that raccoons seem to largely be scavengers.

"I'd still like to help you," he said, "your family can teach you how to be a raccoon, but they can't show you what your predators will be doing or how they survive. I can, what I know, I picked up from many species. Most lynxes just have dens and range for their food. That's not how things are for me, my food is from traps, foraging, hunting and simply waiting. My den is covered well and made almost like a human's dwelling so that it is always warm and dry. I could even help you learn to evade predators using their own tricks. After all, I doubt you're brother can chase you through the woods as a predator would. I could do that in a safe spot to help you practice. You could even learn from both of us." He then slowly swung his backpack around and dug inside it, pulling out an old knife in a sheath. The sheath was made of worn aluminum with various markings on it, as it surrounded the blade with a bit of breathing room. At its end it bulged up and around to form a sort of locking piece so it couldn't slide free. The handle coming out was forged together from metal, plastic, wood, clothe and screws. Clearly the original composite/plastic handle had broken and been remade in nature's image. Still, that was very well worn from use, to be smooth with ridges made from Felix's fingers griping it tightly. At the very bottom there was even a compass embedded in the handle. "This for example is perhaps your best friend. I carry some knives with me to do what claws don't. If you've got any kind of sharp edge, you've got everything in the world." He turned it so he held the sheath by the blade, to give it to the raccoon handle first. "This one is old, somewhat worn and perhaps in need of someone who would want to clean it up a bit. Its been in my backpack for ages. You can have it. That way at least it won't stab me in the butt. I've had that happen before. A pocket knife got lose, opened, I sat down, it... I think everyone for about 4 miles heard me yell when I yanked that out. Sadly our behind's are just a little sensitive to being poked." He pointed across the way to some plants growing, "but, there's plenty of things here to at least treat that little sensitivity."
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Jessica was still listening to the whole conversation. At this point she was pretty sure Pavelle wasn't much of a threat, but Felix still worried her a bit. No matter, eavesdropping can only get you so far. So she stood up deciding to get herself into the conversation.

"You offer to help her survive," she said as she walked towards the raccoon and the lynx, "But I wonder if you'd be as charitable to a creature you find a bit more appetizing."
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Keeshah
Game Master

Post by Keeshah »

Swiftpaw lay stretched out on her tree limb. The feel of the suns warmth beading down upon her body, drying out her fur. As well as relaxing her tired sore muscles, after her battle and near drowning at the hands... fins? of a giant catfish! like a fish was going to take her out, and claim to her coyote tail as a prize.
Now what is this?
Swiftpaw backs up into the foliage of the tree. sounds like a group approaching, nay marching twords her. but sniffing at the scents on the breeze she could only smell one, canine, male. She watched the dog approach the tree, staying carefully hidden in the canopy. All she could think of was, how badly this one moves in the forest, he is never going to sneak up on anything but roadkill.
Roarin wrote:He was now, in the forest, He curled his hands into a fist as he trod noisily through the leaves. He could always turn around. He had a compass. But the action of turning around would defy his goal of leaving. It would show he wasn't sure of himself. And he had to prove he was right.

And great... Now he smelled fish for some reason. His stomach growled in response. North growled in frustration, taking out most of his anger on a nearby tree. A solid kick left the tree's branches shaking, and a searing pain in the shepherd's foot.

Swiftpaw swings down from the tree limb landing with a soft thump, as the she yote comes up into a fighting stance.
You having some sort of feud with this tree? You might want to try an Axe next time, because it looks like the tree won this round.
Relaxing her stance, as the shepherd hops around on one paw. noting that he is wearing a collar.
So, did you come all the way out there just to pick on this tree, or did you have some other reason to be in are territory?
Rav/Ravage (RV) - M - German King Shepard: Str-7 Per-6 End-7 Cha-5 Int-5 Agi-6 Luck-6
Foxy Brown (Zootopia) - M - Coyote/RedWolf: Str-6 Per-7 End-6 Cha-4 Int-8 Agi-7 Luck-4
Oreo (RA) - M - Spotted Skunk: Str-5 Per-6 End-6 Cha-5 Int-7 Agi-8 Luck-5
razgriz

Post by razgriz »

Felix turned to look at the newcomer. A rabbit. He did eat those, but, he knew restraint. He also knew how to pick and choose who and what and when and where he ate. There wasn't even a rumble from his stomach. "I can be" he said, "there are rabbits I eat, but if I know a particular one I tend not to harm them. When I can, I get by off plants, but, there aren't quite enough of those. Then I go after fish and when that isn't enough, I'll go for roadkill if anyone is so unfortunate and after THAT, I begin to consider others a possible option. Though, NEVER anyone I've gotten to know. In theory, anyone that becomes my friend is fine and even an 'enemy' is pretty safe until the fish populations start to drop off."
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

"Good to know. I'm Jessica. My brother Jack is behind a tree over there," she said pointing towards the tree where Jack was.
"No I'm not," Jack said, hopping up behind her.
Jessica sighed and asked "I told you to stay behind the tree."
"This is behind the tree from a certain perspective," he replied smugly as Jessica facepalmed.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
~\Rook/~

Post by ~\Rook/~ »

Blindly running through the forest, the Red Squirrel was trying to find some help for the wolf back near his temporary home.. Wait, which way was 'back home'? The squirrel stopped.

Oh Darn.. He thought, how is he going to get back there to get help to him?

The red squirrel wasn't much of a survivalist, he only found those berries because he fell in that bush when he was climbing, trying to find a hollow tree, maybe an acorn or two..

Maybe whoever he finds can just.. follow HIS scent back to the hollow tree..

He nodded, then darted off again.. Into the forest to find help.

Another while of running and he comes out to a clearing of some sort, with a rounded patch of dirt in the middle, and a rock sat next to it. At the rock, three, no, four animals were talking. Two were rabbits, one bigger than the other, one was a.. what were they called? Licks? No.. Lynx? yeah, that..
And the last one was a pet, A raccoon? Strange pet.. But the squirrel could see the collar.. He was standing somewhat behind them all, He knew the pet would help him..

"Uh, hello! Could someone help me? I- Erm, A friend of mine needs help.. He ate some bad berries and now I can't remember which way back.." He spoke, walking up towards the Racoon.
Character Reference
Roarin

Post by Roarin »

The instant North made contact with that tree, he regretted it, wincing and biting back a yelp in pain. "Ow, ow ,ow...". His mind thought as he hopped on his foot, holding his injured foot in the air.
Keeshah wrote:Swiftpaw swings down from the tree limb landing with a soft thump, as the she yote comes up into a fighting stance.
You having some sort of feud with this tree? You might want to try an Axe next time, because it looks like the tree won this round.
North flinched at the sound of the voice, almost losing his balancing. He turned around found himself staring at a female coyote. The shepherd quickly put himself into a defensive position, putting his foot down (but leaning heavily on the other) and raising his fists up.
"Har har... I'll remever that next time." he said coldy through gritted teeth. "Who are you?". His tensed when he when he noticed the object on the coyote's waist. "Shoot... She's got a weapon.". North has heard rumors about coyotes before. How they sometimes run into town and take animals and... *gulp*. Ok, he shook his head. As long as he can scare this one off he'll be fine, hopefully.
Keeshah wrote:Relaxing her stance, as the shepherd hops around on one paw. noting that he is wearing a collar.
So, did you come all the way out there just to pick on this tree, or did you have some other reason to be in are territory?
"What is it to you?" the dog's eyes narrowed. "And what are you mean 'your' territory? It doesn't belong to anyone. It's a forest.
"Sleep is due to me... And I have a dream to live."

Book Log: I, Claudius - Robert Graves
Ref Ref!
caelei

Post by caelei »

"I'd still like to help you," he said, "your family can teach you how to be a raccoon, but they can't show you what your predators will be doing or how they survive. I can, what I know, I picked up from many species. Most lynxes just have dens and range for their food. That's not how things are for me, my food is from traps, foraging, hunting and simply waiting. My den is covered well and made almost like a human's dwelling so that it is always warm and dry. I could even help you learn to evade predators using their own tricks. After all, I doubt you're brother can chase you through the woods as a predator would. I could do that in a safe spot to help you practice. You could even learn from both of us."
Pavelle's frown grew more pronounced. The problem was that what he was saying made sense. And she wanted to accept his offer. He just seemed so trustworthy. She wavered, borderline wanting to tell him to go away, and really leaning towards accepting his help... She couldn't figure out what was the right option! Decisions had been so much easier in RV, where you were practically safe (well... safe enough) no matter where you went, especially if you stayed within the actual neighborhood --paved streets and houses-- itself.
"This for example is perhaps your best friend. I carry some knives with me to do what claws don't. If you've got any kind of sharp edge, you've got everything in the world." He turned it so he held the sheath by the blade, to give it to the raccoon handle first. "This one is old, somewhat worn and perhaps in need of someone who would want to clean it up a bit. Its been in my backpack for ages. You can have it. That way at least it won't stab me in the butt. I've had that happen before. A pocket knife got lose, opened, I sat down, it... I think everyone for about 4 miles heard me yell when I yanked that out. Sadly our behind's are just a little sensitive to being poked." He pointed across the way to some plants growing, "but, there's plenty of things here to at least treat that little sensitivity."

Pavelle stared at Felix, completely taken aback. He was giving her... a knife? One of his own? But. But this. Was every animal in the forest this friendly? This trusting? Probably he didn't see her as a threat and so giving her a knife was no biggie... and honestly, was she a threat? He was bigger than her. And more sure of himself. He had more wood smarts (as opposed to street smarts) and apparently was a lot more prepared.
Prepared enough that he could give her a knife.

She looked at the thing, held out to her. She didn't want to take it. She shouldn't take it. She should tell this lynx to go away, and then she should sit back on her rock and wait for Felix to come back. Alone. Again.
Or... she could take it. Accept his help. No matter the consequences. It wouldn't be that hard to repay him, would it? She could just... clean his den or... polish his knife collection or... help him forage or something?
She found herself reaching out and taking the knife. It felt rather heavy in her hand and the finger impressions, Felix's own, were a little too far apart for her own smaller fingers. But it also felt like security. And she needed that...
She was just about to say that she'd give learning from him a try, when a rabbit came out of nowhere.
Jessica was still listening to the whole conversation. At this point she was pretty sure Pavelle wasn't much of a threat, but Felix still worried her a bit. No matter, eavesdropping can only get you so far. So she stood up deciding to get herself into the conversation.
She automatically flinched, knife in hand, and had to restrain herself from running. She didn't think she was ready to meet more forest dwellers.
"Good to know. I'm Jessica. My brother Jack is behind a tree over there," she said pointing towards the tree where Jack was.
"No I'm not," Jack said, hopping up behind her.
Pavelle looked at this new threat. Er. Rabbit. And eased back just a bit. If it came to a fight --she didn't know why it would, but if it did-- it would now be two-on-two if Felix sided with her. He was a predator, so he and Pavelle would have the edge... but if he somehow changed his mind and joined the rabbits, it would be three-on-one, that those were not good odds. Sure, she had the knife Felix had given her, but what good would she be with it? She'd never fought with weapons. She'd once almost been trained to fight with a staff, back in RV, but a knife was sharp and pointy and, as Felix and his rear had discovered, painful in your flesh. Plus, she'd never fought rabbits. Or lynxes, for that matter. She didn't know how they'd approach her. She didn't know if rabbits were terrible fighters or good fighters or what.
All she knew was that there was getting to be too many... too many new faces, and all of them wild, no collars or tags, no security. Just. Wild.
She took another step back, even though so far none of them seemed like they intended to hurt her. She just. Couldn't trust the forest. Couldn't trust these strangers...

And then a squirrel came bounding from the surrounding foliage.
Another while of running and he comes out to a clearing of some sort, with a rounded patch of dirt in the middle, and a rock sat next to it. At the rock, three, no, four animals were talking.
"Uh, hello! Could someone help me? I- Erm, A friend of mine needs help.. He ate some bad berries and now I can't remember which way back.." He spoke, walking up towards the Racoon.
Pavelle took another step backwards, away from the squirrel. Knife in hand --albeit a sheathed knife-- and her hands were shaking. She didn't know what was wrong with her, but her heart was beating. She was very afraid. Afraid of... what? She didn't know. Just afraid in general. Her mind desperately tried to analyze her behavior, to make sense of it. She came to the conclusion that she might be having some sort of breakdown. But that didn't make any sense, either. Why would she have a breakdown? It wasn't like she'd just lost her mother, told by her own father to go, left her big brother and ran away from home with her other, walked for days to get to this place, had to come into the woods which she hated and feared, and then left by her brother who had vanished and not come back and another Felix had taken his place. So what? What did any of that matter? It didn't matter. She was fine. She'd be fine.

She forced herself to quit retreating, and stood facing the squirrel. Her voice shook when she spoke, but at least she was speaking and not fleeing. One step at a time. "Uh. I don't know if. If I. If I can help you. But. I can try my best. And maybe Felix... or these rabbits..." who weren't her enemies, not enemies, "...could help?" She turned to the group, voice gaining confidence slightly as this interruption gave her something to do other than wait, gave her some decision that was easy to make. Someone was sick, in danger. She could help. It was right to help. Black and white. "Does anyone know how to track?"

Jeez. Her own Felix was going to be very angry when he came back and she was not sitting on her rock. But he'd find her. He'd tracked her all the way to Richardson Valley. Through the woods would be a breeze... too bad he wasn't here.

Meanwhile, somewhere off in the woods...
Felix knelt to the ground, looking around. He was scowling. He couldn't find Binti. He knew she'd been here, in this very spot, and recently. Very recently. She should be close enough to smell him. She should be coming to meet him. But she wasn't. She better not be playing games. Edie was off at Meeting Ground, and who knew what types of animals would find her there. It was Meeting Ground, after all. And not just for his family. Tons of critters showed up there eventually. It seemed to draw animals to it, for some reason or another.
Well, maybe not too many would meet there today.
Felix turned and vanished into the woods, muttering sotto voce about stupid sisters who hid in the woods and treated serious matters like children's games.

((How did this post turn into a book?))
(Richardson Valley)

(Haven)
razgriz

Post by razgriz »

There we go, she's got the knife. Now all he had to worry about was that she didn't go trying to stab everything that moved. That may or may not be more difficult than expected, he wasn't sure yet. The only thing to be sure of was that she'd have a hard time hurting him, so, it was of no consequence to get rid of it. Then the rabbit showed up and he saw the raccoon starting to take the 'flight' side of fight or flight. Now the whole forest was gonna chase her off just as she started to calm down. What a mess society made of her though, to fear rabbits. They were little fluffy things that just ran very quickly and in some cases could build little traps to help escape predators. He knew one once that had dug and hidden a pit. The covering held rabbits but not a thing larger.

And then the squirrel showed up. Someone needed help. Probably a little squirrel stuck in a bush after eating something it really shouldn't have. That had happened a few times. "Okay, lets go, as long as you were on the ground, we can track where you went," Felix said, "if you were in the trees, we aren't gonna be able to follow fast enough to be any good." He then turned to Pavelle, "So, want to learn a little forest medicine? Afterward if it helps, I have tea in my den."

If he could manage to get her to stick around, he could begin to help her soon. Some tea to calm down some probably very frayed nerves given how she was talking and then just simple little things. How to sharpen a knife, perhaps how to cook or how to forage. Things that would be very useful. It wouldn't take too long for her raccoon family to find her. He wasn't being stealthy and he wasn't trying to hide his tracks. Anyone with a nose and eyes would be able to find them. Sure, in some ways it was bad that someone knew where his den was, but, he had others and could make more.

After that, he began the slow process of tracking. Looking along the ground for paw prints and sniffing at them and the air and the squirrel to follow back the way they'd come. He was somewhat hungry now, just because he was smelling something he would usually only smell when hunting. NO, NO FOOD FOR YOU he thought to himself as he moved slowly along the ground. "Next time, I think you should pay more attention to where you're going," he said, finding that his path weaved like a snake's until they came upon... A wolf.

"If that's your friend, I think perhaps all of you should wait here while I go up to be sure he isn't faking," Felix said, "something like playing possum. I saw someone do it once to 'hide' from humans. Until they passed him, then he broke into their truck and ate everything that wasn't well secured. In this case... lets just be cautious."

There was a wolf. Felix was usually pretty good at handling those. Now though, he had two rabbits, a squirrel and a raccoon along with. Not exactly a benefit to him. He had to make sure the wolf didn't get to them or himself if things went wrong. Rabbits would run, the squirrel could hide in the trees and Pavelle, would probably freeze where she stood. This was a lose-lose-lose scenario if it was a trap... Aside from that the dead wolf would be added to his food supply afterwards. Still, this was going to be a little tricky.
Daxter

Post by Daxter »

His ears pricking at the growing sound of twigs snapping, he gave another brief groan and twisted painfully to the other side to see what was there to finish the job.

He knew that he was either going to die from these berries, which he certainly felt like they were going to do, or be killed by some animal that thought he was planning on dining on them once a wolf saw them.

Typical lot, all animals think we're here to either scare them or eat them, nice to think we are loved

But instead of giving a helpless stare at whoever he arrived, he widened his eyes at the most peculiar sight he had born witness since he had left his pack. A lynx, the same squirrel, some rabbits and a racoon...with a collar. Strange folk, he thought, hope they as harmless as they appear.

Sighing, he tried to give a warm smile but instead puffed his cheeks out as he tried to halt the chunks from rising out of his throat and onto the ground until finally he gasped for air; huffing and puffing like the Big Bad Wolf from the Three Pigs story.

(( Mod edit by Raccoon - You hit the Quote instead of the Edit button ))
Brit's life consists of:
Eating
Sleeping
Kicking tumblebumble

~\Rook/~

Post by ~\Rook/~ »

As the squirrel walked up, he noticed the knife in the racoon's hand.

"W-Whoah, lass.. No need for violence.. heh!" Stuttered the squirrel in a slightly harsher scottish accent than before, stepping back from the racoon.
caelei wrote: "Uh. I don't know if. If I. If I can help you. But. I can try my best. And maybe Felix... or these rabbits..." who weren't her enemies, not enemies, "...could help?"
"Ah, Good.. By the way, 'names Connor! Or you can call me 'Conker'!" Smiled Connor, happy not to be attacked at least..
razgriz wrote: "Okay, lets go, as long as you were on the ground, we can track where you went," Felix said, "if you were in the trees, we aren't gonna be able to follow fast enough to be any good."
"Nah lad, I was on the ground.. It's back, uh.. This way!" The squirrel replied, pointing behind him.

They go back the way the squirrel came, the wolf leading the way, sniffing the ground, and him, to follow the trail he left..
razgriz wrote:"Next time, I think you should pay more attention to where you're going,"
"Next time I think I will, lad.. Anything to stop you sniffing me!" Laughed Connor, trying to lighten the mood.

They reach the Hollow tree.. the wolf lying below next to te bad berry bush still..

"There he is! He's uh.. a new friend. I found him like that, he had some of the berries.. I tried them before, they.. don't agree with your stomach.. Heh!"
He said, pointing to the wolf.
razgriz wrote:"If that's your friend, I think perhaps all of you should wait here while I go up to be sure he isn't faking," Felix said. "something like playing possum. I saw someone do it once to 'hide' from humans. Until they passed him, then he broke into their truck and ate everything that wasn't well secured. In this case... lets just be cautious."
"Heh, no need.. Those berries got 'im good.." Replied Connor, scurrying up to the wolf. "Hey, Mr. Wolf.. I found ya some help!"
Last edited by ~\Rook/~ on Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Character Reference
Daxter

Post by Daxter »

Waving the paw at the squirrel, he gave what some would call a smile, strained at the least and muttered to him as the urges to tear his guts out returned with an almighty vengeance,

"Thanks Mr. Squirrel," chuckling painfully, wincing with every breath.

Eyeing the lynx, scanning every bit of him, the muscles poised and his eyes, making the wolf smile,

One of them doesn't seem to trust a pain-stricken wolf I see, must be the leader or something.
Brit's life consists of:
Eating
Sleeping
Kicking tumblebumble

caelei

Post by caelei »

"So, want to learn a little forest medicine? Afterward if it helps, I have tea in my den."
"Uh. Um. Sure," was all she got out, along with a hurried, "Oh. Hello Conker, I'm Pavelle," to the squirrel. She'd never said hello to the rabbits, Jessica and Jack, but she'd just been so startled by their arrival... plus the fact that they had been watching, hiding behind trees, and that meant that there might be others out there...

Pavelle pretty much just trailed along as the lynx made his way quickly and efficiently through the forest. She tried her best to not walk near/bump into any of the other animals, trying to give them space (and secretly just wanting the space herself). She kept going back to how nice they all seemed. This was not how she imagined forest animals, wild animals, to be. Felix was downright helpful and friendly. He was certainly unlike her own Felix, who would probably blow his top once he figured out she'd left the dirt clearing... but he could deal. At least now she had something to do. To distract her.

And then they came upon the squirrel's friend, and it was... a... a...
A wolf.
Wow, she thought, this is quite a distraction. Her fingers tightened a bit on the knife she held at her side. Even though she felt a vague, dangerous curiosity about the wolf, she kept back like Felix had warned. Though close enough to get a good look. Probably she just looked to the others like a gawking pet. Well. At least the wolf was making her forget to be nervous about the less obviously dangerous creatures, the rabbits and squirrel.

Wait a second. A wolf that was (sorta) friends with a squirrel? A nice lynx who offered her tea? And these rabbits who just didn't play into any rabbit-like stereotypes.
What kind of strange forest had her brother brought her to? It was almost like she was in some crazy dream. She'd wake up and find herself in some grizzly's stomach, coated in goo, after falling asleep on that dumb rock and getting gobbled up. Or maybe this forest produced some sort of hallucinogen that was affecting them all. Mellowing them out. Or maybe she just had extraordinarily good luck. Which she knew couldn't be true, because she'd never had good luck before... just mediocre. Well, maybe she'd saved up all her lucky stars for today. Or maybe she'd had such bad luck recently that the universe had been forced to level out by throwing something good her way.

She blinked, and realized she'd just zoned out again, letting her mind wander free. Bad idea, now that she was in the presence of what was supposed to be some big apex predator. She'd thought coming here was a good idea, after everything that had happened. The way she was acting now, so erratically, made her think otherwise. Shaking her head, she spoke to the group in general, "Well. What can we do for him? Do you need me to like, find a specific leaf or something to ease his pain?" Seeing how much distress the wolf was in. But also... wondering if he would turn on them and attack them once he was feeling better. Then again, he hadn't hurt Conker. Still...
Wait a second. Why had a wolf been eating berries in the first place? Maybe he couldn't find anyone to eat, before? Well, if this was a ruse, as Felix seemed to suspect, this wolf had managed to certainly bring in quite a haul of edible animals...
(Richardson Valley)

(Haven)
razgriz

Post by razgriz »

"Lets get a look here," Felix said kneeling by the wolf, "exactly where does it hurt and which berries did you eat? There's a berry around here that only the humans have a cure for and there's a few that feel worse but we can fix with really nasty tasting stuff." He kept his eyes on the wolf. In pain or not, never trust a predator you don't know. They ALWAYS survive well and they can be crafty when needed. It was one area you shouldn't take chances with. "If it was those berries over there, we need four sunflowers, needles from a spruce tree and some potatoes if you can find any... If not, then some kind of starch... Corn from a farmer's field?"

OOC: Sounds close enough to some witchdoctor cure...
Daxter

Post by Daxter »

Grimacing at the lynx, he gave a small nod and pointed his muzzle to the purple berries in the bush he had stuck his head in, half-eaten pices of berries strewn across the bush as if it had been some kind of berry massacre, few survived.

In his mind, he was actually amazed at the friendliness of the animals, many of the one's he had passed prefered to sink into their burrows or dens than come near the wolf, must of been common instinct for them to run, being lower in the food chain.

Either these animals were stupid or kind, I'm happy for their help.
Brit's life consists of:
Eating
Sleeping
Kicking tumblebumble

razgriz

Post by razgriz »

"Okay, then, we need to get that stuff... in the mean time, I should also get you to your den," Felix said, "this will.... its gonna cure you but its gonna make you act kinda like a cat with catnip. Which means you should try to NOT be outside and around others.... Assuming you have a den or some form of shelter."
~\Rook/~

Post by ~\Rook/~ »

razgriz wrote:"Lets get a look here," Felix said kneeling by the wolf, "exactly where does it hurt and which berries did you eat? There's a berry around here that only the humans have a cure for and there's a few that feel worse but we can fix with really nasty tasting stuff."
"Well, That dosen't sound good.." Murmured Connor, feeling more worried now..
razgriz wrote:"If it was those berries over there, we need four sunflowers, needles from a spruce tree and some potatoes if you can find any... If not, then some kind of starch... Corn from a farmer's field?"
"I'll get the needles!" Replied Connor, waving a paw in the air with exaggeration. "..If that's ok with you lot.." He added, thinking he used too much energy just for a simple answer..

With no objections, the squirrel ran off into the woods. "I'll be back in a sec! Oh! And don't worry, I'll remember the way back this time!!"
Character Reference
Daxter

Post by Daxter »

Groaning, he shook his head sadly, eyes towards the ground and mumbled to the lynx,

"No Den. No shelter. Nothing,"

The wolf gagged again as he felt the stomach trying furiously to tear through his stomach, trembling like an earthquake had awoken in his guts. Rolling onto his back, he panted heavily whilst he rolled his tounge out, the purple juices now stains on his muzzle and his tounge looking like a piece of raw bacon.

His eyes shot open in fear when he heard the words...

I'll get the needles

And a paw rubbed his solemn face slowly,

I regret what I last said, I don't think I'll be happy with some squirrel sticking pointy needles into him.
Brit's life consists of:
Eating
Sleeping
Kicking tumblebumble

razgriz

Post by razgriz »

"Okay, we'll make a quick and simple one" Felix said, "otherwise you'll just be stuck laying here sick for a week or so... which may kill you without shelter..." He went to a tree and began to dig. The thing was, many of these trees had roots that were overall pretty flat. Dig down a bit and you're under the roots. He got at it, dirt flying until he was under the roots and then began to expand the area until it was a good enough little den. Though, unlike his den, this one had holes in the roof to allow sunlight straight in. His had edges where it drifted in at an angle. After he had enough space, he came out and started work on a small fire to heat their instant cure for stomach pains. "That'll give you a place to stay while you're on the cure. We'll have to check in on you as you recover, after we make this stuff."
Daxter

Post by Daxter »

Nodding, he slowly stood up, his legs shaking badly and trecked to the den which the lynx had made which he thanked by awarding him a warm smile and a happy sigh as he curled into his den. He winced many times as he tried to adjust himself into a comfartable position, white-hot shots of agony running around his belly with every large movement he made. He managed to talk to the lynx, unhindered by his gut this time,

"Thanks for the help," quircking a brow, then a brief groan, "Why...help me?"
Brit's life consists of:
Eating
Sleeping
Kicking tumblebumble

razgriz

Post by razgriz »

"Because as far as predators go, I have no fear of wolves but humans have a great fear for you," Felix said, "you are no threat to me, but keeping wolves around means keeping the humans from trying to develop these forests." He blew on the fire to cause it to roar upwards as it took to more of the wood he had placed. "Besides, if you're going to die, it should at least be for a reason besides stupidity. If you die of a disease, something will try to eat what remains of you and get the same sickness. If you're cured, you have a chance to not be stupid later and die doing something worthwhile."
Daxter

Post by Daxter »

He gave a small chuckle and then replied,

"Hired muscle for you lot then," another moan broke from his lips, he was almost used to it now, like it was just part of him, still a pain though, "And I promise not to do anything stupid again like with those berries, it's something I've recently begun to learn."
Brit's life consists of:
Eating
Sleeping
Kicking tumblebumble

razgriz

Post by razgriz »

"No, I'm not paying you" Felix said, "nor am I keeping you here. Its just a reason to help, one among many." He laid on his side by the fire, enjoying its warmth as he took a break. Finally a brief rest. His thing wasn't quite endurance. After that digging and all, he needed to relax. Which was exactly what he was doing. Laying there and relaxing.
Daxter

Post by Daxter »

Frowning at the lynx, his body nice and warm in his new-found favourite sitting area, he gave a desperate stare at the lynx, hoping to persuade him with his pleading looks until finally gave in and asked,

"Why can't I make a home here, it's not like I'm gonna eat ya," turning his head away towards the fire, his black and white coat shining like a large gem in the sunlight "I don't do that anymore, just want to be a wolf who can make friends with other animals, not just his own species," laughing, "All they ever like to do is fight, eat and hunt, boring bunch."
Brit's life consists of:
Eating
Sleeping
Kicking tumblebumble

RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Jessica and Jack followed the group silently, Jessica wary of trusting the Raccoon who had seemed to want to stab her earlier and the predator she was with.

When Felix told them to be cautious, she happily agreed, telling Jack to stay behind. He didn't of course.

When she heard the cure, she and Jack hunted for the sunflowers needed. It took a little while, but she eventually returned with four.

She gave them to Felix as she said "This is why carnivores shouldn't forage. Most of them have no idea what they're doing."
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
caelei

Post by caelei »

"If it was those berries over there, we need four sunflowers, needles from a spruce tree and some potatoes if you can find any... If not, then some kind of starch... Corn from a farmer's field?"
Pavelle stood, feeling rather useless. At home, she'd be on top of this. She could help. She could be useful. Here... she was just a distraction. Just. Just someone in the way. Conker went off to get the spruce needles, an easy enough find, and the rabbits went to harvest some sunflowers. Which left the starch. Potatoes would be ideal, but she doubted there were any nearby. And corn, from a farm...? There were no farms nearby. The closest was probably miles away, a good half day's walk. She remembered Felix, her Felix, speaking about the forest in relation to nearby human landmarks. Cities mainly to the north and east. Farms and smaller communities surrounding the cities, and even a couple brushing the edge of the forest. But it was still too far. That wouldn't be handy, not for any of them. Unless the wolf could handle a wait... and from his moans and pants, he couldn't. Jeez, this was bad.
"Is there any other way to get starch?" she asked weakly, "I don't think going to a nearby farm is going to be very practical." She took a few steps in one direction, as if about to run off to find more help, or search frantically for something that seemed like it would have starch. But how would she know? She wouldn't. She was so useless! Turning, she paced in a different direction, away from the wolf and Felix. There had to be something. Something. Anything. But what? All of her senses seemed tuned up, as if that would help her. But it wouldn't. The sun seemed brighter in her eyes. The forest smelled sharper, greener, almost musky. Her ears twitched at the trickle of a nearby stream. Or wait. Was it a river? Never mind, it didn't matter. It wasn't like cattails and floating moss would help them.

"Think," she said aloud, "There must be some sort of wild plant that's naturally high in starch. A root or something." But at home she hadn't bothered to learn such facts. She hadn't ever thought that she would possibly need to know such a thing.
(Richardson Valley)

(Haven)