Do you consider yourself a furry?

No
25%
Yes
75%

Total votes: 348

Re: Are You A Furry?

Post by 0404 »

I think it is possible to someone to find them self being like their fursona/persona instead of fursona/persona being them selves.

Woooo, that's scary...
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

That reminds me of a story. A man in West Africa told everyone that he was a wealthy nobleman.
He kept telling everyone in the area that he was and everyone believed him.
Eventually he forgot his true identity and fooled himself into thinking that he was actually wealthy, when he was just as poor as everyone else.

I suppose if you keep telling yourself you are a fox, you'll eventually believe that you are, indeed, a fox.

Post by 0404 »

I'm a cat, I'ma cat, I'm a meow, I'm meow meow, I'meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow.
Meow?

I seen certian furries having a two different personality when they are in fursuit and when they're not. It's really intresting.
The Grey Wolverine

Post by The Grey Wolverine »

It could just be people acting in character if you want to call it that. Like for example, a friend of mine was playing D&D, and while he was playing it, people were getting really into character, for example the bard supposedly would play a guitar when his character would play his lute.
Please click this link and support me on FA. http://www.furaffinity.net/user/greywolverene/
GunRacer

Post by GunRacer »

One critical element of emotional and mental maturity/stability is an ability to differentiate between fantasy and reality. Some people can't.

Are there people like this in the fandom? Yeah.
Are there people like this everywhere else? Yeah.
Does the fandom (due to some of its intrinsic qualities) have a higher concentration of people like this? I can't say I've seen any hard data, but probably. So what, though? Avoid the crazies, hang out with normal folks, and you'll be just fine.

Being a furry and/or fursuiter does blur that line between fantasy and reality a bit (seeing as the concept of a "fursona" is pretty central to the fandom), but I'd imagine most people simply enjoy "playing pretend."* In the fursuiting thread, tychoaussie made some comment about how he felt like he could cut loose and have fun, just generally be the clown he can't be in "real life," when wearing the suit. And if you think about it, that's a perfectly good outlet. I'd even guess it could have a positive psychological effect-- especially as a person gets older and stresses (financial, familial, emotional) pile up, being able to decouple from all the worries of the day-to-day grind is a profound relief. I get that relief via flying, but to each his own. Tycho, you around? It'd be great to get an opinion from someone who's actually been there and done that, as opposed to my theoretical bloviating.

Rambling on as always,
GunRacer

*I know the phrase sounds awfully immature, but what do you think reading fiction, playing video games, or watching TV shows is all about? The same thing, just less creative than, y'know, actually expending effort/time/money/etc. drawing, RPing, or fursuiting.
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

I'm not a furry in the traditional sense (not active in the fandom) and I lack the clique personality traits that most furries tend to have (or am I blind to my own nature)
But my fursona would probably be a dingo or husky because I love a lot of canines :3 and dingos are cute!
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

I've seen some people get waaaaaaay too into being furry (like the guy who used to frequent the forum and insisted I refer to him as a fox whenever we talked) and while it's true that all fandoms have people that get way too into it I don't think the furry fandom's reputation for having alot of those types is unearned.
I genuinely enjoy being part of the furry fandom but let's not act like we're not one of the stranger fandoms.
I think in Non-sequiturs

"I told you not to put metal in the science oven! What'd you do that for?"

Trash boiz
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Seth wrote:(like the guy who used to frequent the forum and insisted I refer to him as a fox whenever we talked)
Hilariously, Sleet insists I refer to her as a fox, too. = P

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
The Grey Wolverine

The only times I have had trouble with reality and fiction blending together were dreams I stopped having where I was Grey, they still happen now and again, but thankfully not as often, they were cool but I was getting worried when I had them every night.
Dissension wrote:
Seth wrote:(like the guy who used to frequent the forum and insisted I refer to him as a fox whenever we talked)
But Sleet is Sleet
Please click this link and support me on FA. http://www.furaffinity.net/user/greywolverene/
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

I refer to all my furry friends as if they're their fursona. but it doesn't usually come up in normal conversation. I don't say "fox Sleet" just as I wouldn't say "Human copper"
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
The Grey Wolverine

The only people I refer to by their fursona names are a few people I've met on like FA and friend in Britain :3
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

oh, well yeah, I just use their forum names. if it's their fursona, so be it.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
tychoaussie

Post by tychoaussie »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:oh, well yeah, I just use their forum names. if it's their fursona, so be it.
Back a few posts, I mentioned in the days of yesteryear we called 'em "screen names". When writing under a given screen name on a BBS, you generally stuck to a given character. Some of us had multiple screen names, and each one was differentiated with a different method of writing. It's been going on since the first time-sharing BBS systems came up on Dec PDP-11's at the universities in the early 1970's. (I've been online a long time... since 1979.) At one time, I had multiple screen names, and everyone knew they were all me, and everyone played along. Sometimes I was "wolverine", which was my main screen name for regular writing, sometimes I put on the screen name "Justin Case" for writing political satire under the guise of a whacky and none-too-bright Michigan vigilante; and I'd also write under the screen name "Sparky the wonderdog" for when I wanted to cut loose and be totally off-the-wall. Sparky was definitely furry before the invention of the word furry... I'd liken that character to have been like Peanut, but with a bigger ego.

Gunracer's right though - There is a lot of relief in putting on a character, and getting away from your daily life once and a while. Many people do it in different ways and it could even be said that most humans do in some ways. I mean, isn't that what going to the movies is about? Disappearing into the on-screen story for a few hours? Same thing with going out hunting, or fishing, or dirtbiking, or heading off to the honkey-tonk for a bit of dancing and mechanical bull riding. There's role playing in the sport of cowboy action shooting, too.

Though - (and I don't have much internet time available these days so I have to keep it short) -
I had two local teens ask me about fursuiting, especially after they met Tycho, and I told them I'd be glad to talk about it in the presence of their parents. They were very enthusiastic, and I want to make sure they know enough to enjoy the better parts without delving into the adult-themed stuff. I also want to make sure that their parents are in the equation and actively taking part in discussions, as well as (I hope) helping to develop the hobby in a clean and wholesome way here at the local level. I told them that there are good and bad parts of the hobby, but they are sometimes hard to tell one from the other, and that they must use caution and maturity. There has to be balance. The old adage "In all things, moderation" must hold true.

Speaking of moderation, I need to get off the internet now and get back to work.

--drb
Fun-loving by birth, Honorable through upbringing, Brave by necessity.
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

The Grey Wolverine wrote:
Dissension wrote:
But Sleet is Sleet
I don't mind refering to people as their fursona or anything, but it was to the point where we both knew each other's real name, face, ect. At that point I'm more inclined to refer to you as a person.
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

I know Sleet's real name and House's real name, but I'm the type that refers to people by the first name I knew them by, which is their forum names. It just feels weird to me calling House "Brenden" and Sleet "[REDACTED]"
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

I'd feel weird calling someone "[Redacted]" too.

Actually... on second thought, that makes me want to start calling one of my friends that. Just to see if it would actually stick.
"When you're falling in a forest and there's nobody around,
do you ever really crash or even make a sound?"
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

yes, but how do you pronounce the "[" and "]"?

I'm not a furry.just to be on topic.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:yes, but how do you pronounce the "[" and "]"?
Don't you point out potential flaws in my plans, Bracket Redacted Close Bracket. I'll figure out some way to make it work.

As a (completely on-topic) furry, I am tenacious and well-versed in the art of perseverance.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:yes, but how do you pronounce the "[" and "]"?
Open Square Bracket REDACTED Close Square Bracket

JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

You guys forgot about the "" part.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

The quotation marks are used only to indicate the specific term.

Further off-topic posts will be deleted.

Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I tend to go by "Sleet" around furries and online friends, and with friends I meet from furry communities or furry-ish communities, I like to act like I'm a fox (which is almost exactly the same unless what to call the things at the end of my limbs are called comes up, for example). A lot of my best friends here know my real name, but they still call me Sleet. I even have an ex who didn't even want to start calling me by my human name instead when we started dating. XP I do ask my furry friends to call me [redacted] when my family or human friends are around. But I go by "Sleet" when I'm hanging out with just furries.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

hey, I'm not a furry and you go by Sleet with me.
and if I were to date a furry I met online who's user name is their fursona, I'd probably use that name as a pet name.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:pet name.
Hm. Not sure if intended pun or just mildly amusing coincidence...

My username is partially my real name anyway, so I'd probably just have people call me by my real name, regardless of whether they're furry or not. Though my username actually brings my middle initial into play, which doesn't happen often. Like, people with the middle initial 'J' always seemed to get two-letter nicknames: like TJ, RJ, MJ, CJ, DJ, and so on. But for whatever reason, no one's ever really called me KJ (except here on the forum, of course).
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:and if I were to date a furry I met online who's user name is their fursona, I'd probably use that name as a pet name.
(Hey everyone, Brent calls me by my fursona name. ;3)
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!

Post by 0404 »

I present you,... Fursona name contest!
I and others have called my fursona by the name of Texascat, but actualy he (or my self) doesn't have name yet, it was only a username. And I'm thinking about giving an actual name for'im.

I have come up with a name of 'Phelps L' but I don't find it that uniqe. And I only came up with that name because I like Phelps from LA.Noire.
So, please allow me to ask you guys for good uniqe name for ma fursona.
Could be something insane, odd, creative.

The winner gets free hug or highfive from everyone and also gets appreciation drawing from me.
The Grey Wolverine

Dr. Profess or Carlos Winston Lazarus McBatman.
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

I really like japanese names, so I looked up the Japanese word for cat which is Neko and I found the word Masuru which means victory. When you combine them you get MasuruNeko, VictoryCat. :) you could even just use Masuru as like a first name or something. I think it sounds cool.
Life is Music, and Music is Life
------------------
My songs: http://www.soundcloud.com/onevirtue

Check out my FA page too!
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Frank
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Walker.
Inali wrote:I really like japanese names, so I looked up the Japanese word for cat which is Neko and I found the word Masuru which means victory. When you combine them you get MasuruNeko, VictoryCat. :) you could even just use Masuru as like a first name or something. I think it sounds cool.
Anything with "Neko" or "Kitsune" in it is pretty seriously played out. I'd advise against that.
Oblivious Adobo

Post by Oblivious Adobo »

Sleet wrote:Walker.
Walker, Texas Cat
I'm like a ninja; only loud and annoying.
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

Sleet wrote:Walker.
Inali wrote:I really like japanese names, so I looked up the Japanese word for cat which is Neko and I found the word Masuru which means victory. When you combine them you get MasuruNeko, VictoryCat. :) you could even just use Masuru as like a first name or something. I think it sounds cool.
Anything with "Neko" or "Kitsune" in it is pretty seriously played out. I'd advise against that.
How about just Masuru then?
Life is Music, and Music is Life
------------------
My songs: http://www.soundcloud.com/onevirtue

Check out my FA page too!

Post by 0404 »

Winston Frank Walker, Masuru Texas Cat

hummmmm.... :)
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

Marcus?
Jason Mraz wrote: My goal is to show everyone that they, too, can do what they love to do.
Daggy wrote: Look a shadowpriest, what a cutie.... POW
yehoshua

Post by yehoshua »

I go to soft combat (or maybe as how you would refer to it as LARP with very little roleplaying and a lot more controlled violence) with a fox hat, people refer to me as FireFox (even though I'm a Chrome user), fox boy, or fox.
Sent from my conifer.
The Grey Wolverine

texascat018 wrote:Winston Frank Walker, Masuru Texas Cat

hummmmm.... :)
Dr. Professor Carlos Winston Lazarus McBatman is still an option.
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

This is the perfect name.
Just... take out the hedgehog part.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Nyaliva

Post by Nyaliva »

I think Trey, TexasCat really looks like a Trey to me...or Theo.

Trey Castion maybe?
Feel like you need a friend? I'm happy to talk anytime! :D

I'm on DeviantArt now!
Currently working on: "The Warriors" Book
legendario13

Post by legendario13 »

Joselito Mc.Pet

Dr.Sr.Prof.Patr...

Dr.Sr.Prof.Joselito Mc.pet
A moment of enlightenment...aaaaand it's gone

Post by 0404 »

Winston Frank Marcus True Hyper Dark Chaos Joselito Trey Walker, Masuru Texas Cat

that's too long

@nyalavia Trey who?

I think Walker is the best name yet, Skips's name is walker too.

My fursona Name:Walker. TexasCat

and since I like to walk like Sam Fisher, -
Nick name: Sneaker. TexasCat

Everyone, Give Sleet a hug! *hugs!*
thanks Sleet!
you'll be receiving a Gift shortly