Chat Thread 37: Diss Wants to Be Involved

Putting dead threads to bed, Jed

Moderator: ArcWolf

sonic id furreh!!!

Re: Chat Thread 37: Diss Wants to Be Involved

Post by sonic id furreh!!! »

Dissension wrote:
JeffCvt wrote:At the after party? You know I don't remember that. Drinking too much soda does that.
[I said it here].

[This is the next time I said it].

Also, for the new guys, chat threads usually only lasted about three days, a couple of years ago.
i remember those day, it was awesome besides the fact that if you were gone for an hour you'd have like, 3 pages to read :3
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Sometimes, anyway. It'd take me about 90 minutes per night to read through all the threads in my section.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

I don't think I'd have done very well in those days. I have this compulsive need to read every single new post that comes up in threads that I'm following, so I'd never have time to do anything else but read page after page of Chat Thread nonsense. X3
"When you're falling in a forest and there's nobody around,
do you ever really crash or even make a sound?"
sonic id furreh!!!

*giggles* yep! back then we made the mods work! :3
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

"Mods?" There was only one of me!

JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

Dissension wrote:Also, for the new guys, chat threads usually only lasted about three days, a couple of years ago.
Diss scared them all off...

So now I won't feel bad if I start posting after every single thing that is said.
EVERY SINGLE THING.
The Grey Wolverine wrote:Man, you have a problem, I think its time you seek out some help for your soda addiction.
I once gave soda up for lent, and it was one of the hardest things that I had ever done. I had to actually resort to drinking flavored water.
I would rather march in a 2 1/2 mile parade in 100 degree weather with high humidity, wearing a black uniform, high knee style the entire time, than give soda up for more than a week. (Of course, I would march in a 2 1/2 mile parade in 100 degree weather with high humidity, wearing a black uniform, high knee style the entire time just for fun. I'm weird like that.)
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

Remember, high fructose corn syrup makes you stupid!
sonic id furreh!!!

Dissension wrote:"Mods?" There was only one of me!
*covers Diss' mouth* nonsense silly willy! you mods were everywhere! i remember it like it was yesterday :3 *insert flashback cinema*
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

sonic id furreh!!! wrote:*insert flashback cinema*
I can't see it!

Down in front, sit down!
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
sonic id furreh!!!

JeffCvt wrote:
I can't see it!

Down in front, sit down!
s-sorry e.e *sits on the floor*
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

*Puts brick down*
Thank you.
JeffCvt wrote:(Of course, I would march in a 2 1/2 mile parade in 100 degree weather with high humidity, wearing a black uniform, high knee style the entire time just for fun. I'm weird like that.)
I'm surprised that no one thought this was strange. I was totally serious when I said this too. I would be like "that was fun" after the parade. And then I would probably get beat up by the other 99% of the band that hated every step of it.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

I don't really understand why you like soda so much. It's okay every once in a while, but I don't have an obsession to it.
Soda actually makes you thirstier, fatter, and stupider. Sorry, but these aren't unjustified claims.
Science proves that all of the aforementioned claims are true.
Drinking "diet" coke won't change anything either. It will still make you gain weight.
Don't glorify something that won't do anything good for you.
sonic id furreh!!!

how does it make you dumber?
McFly

Post by McFly »

sonic id furreh!!! wrote:
JeffCvt wrote:
I can't see it!

Down in front, sit down!
s-sorry e.e *sits on the floor*
What? Chairs aren't good enough for ya?
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Wanderer wrote:I don't really understand why you like soda so much. It's okay every once in a while, but I don't have an obsession to it.
Soda actually makes you thirstier, fatter, and stupider. Sorry, but these aren't unjustified claims.
Science proves that all of the aforementioned claims are true.
Drinking "diet" coke won't change anything either. It will still make you gain weight.
Don't glorify something that won't do anything good for you.
You need to be polite.
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

Wanderer wrote:Soda actually makes you thirstier, fatter, and stupider.
It's strange because I actually feel like drinking soda quenches my thirst as good as or better than water, I'm not fat in the least, and I have more common sense than most kids I know.

Although I do know you're actually right about the getting thirstier and fatter part. But I've never heard the dumber part. Are you sure that came from a reliable source?
Dissension wrote:You need to be polite.
He wasn't doing anything I saw as rude. Just being blunt in what he has heard.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
sonic id furreh!!!

McFly wrote:What? Chairs aren't good enough for ya?
i-i was told to sit... there were no chairs

anyway, i shushed Diss and he didn't do anything about it =3
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

I'm not saying you are fat or stupid, but you'd be better off without soda.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 150938.htm
http://www.livescience.com/20329-sugar-stupid.html
http://blogs.laweekly.com/squidink/2012 ... stupid.php
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... h-science/
There are several other articles regarding this information. It is somewhat recent news.
Even if it didn't make you stupid, it certainly won't do you any good.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

When I was in high school, I quit drinking soda. I went without for six years. I occasionally have one these days, but it's not particularly common.

sonic id furreh!!!

my mommy doesn't let me drink soda <:c
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

That's a health-conscious decision.

sonic id furreh!!!

i think it's dumb >:c
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

Are you serious? -_-
sonic id furreh!!!

yep :3
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Just be sure to brush your teeth if you do drink it in the future.

And i mean alot. =3
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
sonic id furreh!!!

okay! :3

*glomps gamecobra*
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

From the sounds of it, it doesn't actively make you any less intelligent, it just hampers your ability to learn in the future. And I highly doubt that it actually makes enough of a difference to take a good learner and make them a bad one.

It certainly isn't the healthiest of beverage choices, but my current metabolism wouldn't let me get fat if I wanted to be, and I don't drink it to quench thirst. The purpose of soda is to taste good, and for me, it accomplishes that very well. I likely won't be removing it from my diet until I'm living off of my own income and I can choose which drinks to buy. At that point, I can buy nothing but fruit juices and flavored waters (which both taste good and are generally much healthier choices), and I'm sure I'll have it out of my diet entirely within a year or two. But I don't really consider it to be a big deal, so until then... bottoms up!
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

But... water doesn't cost that much.
Soda already has a lot of water in it, why not just drink water?
Come on, water doesn't taste that bad.
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

That's just it. Water doesn't taste like much of anything. It doesn't really have much of a taste. Period. And in comparison to soda (to my taste buds anyway), yeah, it tastes pretty bad.

I drink water when I work out, play sports, or when I'm doing recordings (because it's good for the voice), but that's about it.
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

I mean, I don't really care what you guys drink. I drink soda too, but I drink water more than I do soda.
Don't drink it like everyday (or even every other day) though, because that sounds like what Jeff is doing.
It does affect you. Of course, the American response would be "lol just work out more", but you can save a lot of effort by just not drinking soda.
It doesn't even taste that good! Way too syrup-like and too sweet for me! Also how do you enjoy that burning sensation after you drink?
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

I drink diet soda. and yes, I know it isn't much healthier than regular, but it does have fewer calories, meaning that while it can still make you fat, you need to drink more of it to get the same as regular. however, it is unhealthy for my bones.

and I drink water on the few occasions where I exercise, but I usually drink soda after the water.
Wanderer wrote:how do you enjoy that burning sensation after you drink?
no idea what you mean.
but I drink at least two sodas a day, sometimes more. I don't care if it's more effort to work it off.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

You mean, you never experienced that slight burning feeling as you swallow soda?
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

I probably drink an average of 8-16 ounces of soda per day. Though I tend to get almost that much milk when I have cereal for breakfast, so I guess that counts for something. And if I have peanut butter & fluff sandwiches for lunch (as I often do), I'll have another 10 ounces or so of milk with that.

So it's not like soda is the only thing I ever drink; it's just my go-to beverage of choice at the moment because I don't have the money to buy myself V8 or other similar fruit juices on a regular basis.

I know that it affects me. Just not in a significant enough way for me to bother worrying about it too much. I'm just scrawny enough naturally that I don't really have to worry about "getting fat" from drinking soda, regardless of how much or how little I work out. I'm more worried about losing weight and slipping into the 'anorexic' category than anything else, honestly.
Wanderer wrote:It doesn't even taste that good! Way too syrup-like and too sweet for me!
Subjectivity is funny that way. You say yourself that, as an avid water-drinker, soda is far too sweet for you; yet somehow you find it hard to believe that I, as an avid soda (and other sweet beverage) drinker, find water to be far too plain for my tastes? It goes both ways, you know. :/
Nyaliva

Post by Nyaliva »

Wanderer wrote:You mean, you never experienced that slight burning feeling as you swallow soda?
You mean from the bubbles? That's the carbonation and if you don't get why people stand it ask people why they stand alcohol. Now THAT'S a burning sensation. Although I don't get how people could drink straight soda water. Having no taste and then adding bubbles makes it taste weird.
RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:I drink diet soda. and yes, I know it isn't much healthier than regular, but it does have fewer calories, meaning that while it can still make you fat, you need to drink more of it to get the same as regular.
Actually the reason diet soda still makes you fat is because the lack of calories and the fact that you know you're not taking in as many makes you feel hungry (or in this case thirsty) for more so you eat more. It's a simple case of "I had a diet soda today, I can have that large piece of cake."

Also I never got how soda made you thirstier. The chemical equation that defines respiration is sugar + oxygen = CO2 + energy + a lot of water. So every time you breathe, you're changing all the sugar in that drink into water. I could work out exactly how much water you could get from all that sugar but I don't have any soda in the house atm. The only reason I can see that soft drink could not have the same amount of water in it than water of the same volume is because of the carbonation. It basically means that glass of soft drink is only about 3/4 drink and the rest is carbon dioxide, which your body gets rid of anyway. Or I suppose it could be the chemicals. Sorry, I'm a chemical engineer, I study this sort of stuff for fun. Me and Jeff will just be over here with our weird ideas of fun...

Also, since I've had a water bottle in the fridge rather than a jug I've been drinking a lot more water and I often actually like the taste to the point where I guzzle it, even though it has no taste. Although my consumption slows as I get closer to needing to refill it. :P
Feel like you need a friend? I'm happy to talk anytime! :D

I'm on DeviantArt now!
Currently working on: "The Warriors" Book
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

Wanderer wrote:Don't drink it like everyday (or even every other day) though, because that sounds like what Jeff is doing.
I won't deny that I drink soda almost everyday.
Wanderer wrote:Also how do you enjoy that burning sensation after you drink?
I might know what you are talking about. I usually only get a (very, very) slight burning sensation when I drink Sierra Mist. (And it has to be from a can. Fountain doesn't do it.) It's just the natural flavoring in it I think.
Nyaliva wrote:Me and Jeff will just be over here with our weird ideas of fun...
Doing dental work on a camel. Fun!
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Nyaliva wrote:Also I never got how soda made you thirstier. The chemical equation that defines respiration is sugar + oxygen = CO2 + energy + a lot of water. So every time you breathe, you're changing all the sugar in that drink into water.
I certainly won't claim to know, but I imagine that it has to do with overloading your respiratory system with that sugar. Just like simply breathing isn't going to make a pile of sugar disappear if you shove it down your throat in a single gulp, it also can't keep up with something as sugary as soda.

Either that or it just has to do with flavor cravings. Whenever I take a sip of soda, or something equally sweet, I rarely only take one sip at a time.
Nyaliva

Post by Nyaliva »

KJOokami wrote:I certainly won't claim to know, but I imagine that it has to do with overloading your respiratory system with that sugar. Just like simply breathing isn't going to make a pile of sugar disappear if you shove it down your throat in a single gulp, it also can't keep up with something as sugary as soda.

Either that or it just has to do with flavor cravings. Whenever I take a sip of soda, or something equally sweet, I rarely only take one sip at a time.
Actually, that's a good point. I'd say it's probably the latter more than the former but I'd say they both have a hand in it.
JeffCvt wrote: Doing dental work on a camel. Fun!
Spraying wasps with turps as they fly at you angrily. The funnest!

I'm on DeviantArt now!
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

it's the sodium. ever eat salt? makes you thirsty, doesn't it?
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:it's the sodium. ever eat salt? makes you thirsty, doesn't it?
Oh.

Nyaliva

Post by Nyaliva »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:it's the sodium. ever eat salt? makes you thirsty, doesn't it?
But there isn't that much in soda is there? Surely the water and sugar would offset it?

Hmm...I'll have to buy a soda today and check. I'm drinking soda for science so it's okay!

I'm on DeviantArt now!