Housepets! Movie?

Discuss the comic here
Anthroguy101

Housepets! Movie?

Post by Anthroguy101 »

Last night I dreamed that the comic was made into a movie. I really wanted to see it. However, it was not well received outside of this community. I think what baffled me in the first place is how any of this could be formatted into a feature film at all. I've never heard of a web comic being turned into a movie before.

Do you think it's possible for a comic like Housepets! to be formatted into a feature-length (90 minutes or more) film, and if so, how?
Furryforever

Re: Housepets! Movie?

Post by Furryforever »

I suppose it could be if you took an acceptable segment of the comic and left it open ended for more. As the comic isn't over, and I'm hoping it won't be anytime soon, you wouldn't be able to "end" it. So with the correct directing, hopefully rick as he has the best idea of the HP universe and would be able to write the character interaction out to fit the comic the best possible, and the support of his fanbase then yes I believe it is possible.
Onlythebassist

Post by Onlythebassist »

I guess like The Simpsons Movie - just take a whole new scenario and slot your original characters and their mannerisms in there. Whatever would the plot be though?

Some of my suggestions

- Police Dog Academy (wherein Bino joins as a cynical Steve Guttenburg)
- The Longest Yard (wherein they spend 90 minutes playing football in the Ferret's back garden, which is HUGE and the field spans over a thousand yards)
And finally...
- Pulp Fanfiction (wherein we combine about 5 fanfics all obeying differing laws, rules and regulations, letting chaos insue)
DingoVolf
Location: It was unwise to wake the 3-eyed cat, but we did it anyways, and now look at us. Whatever you do,

Post by DingoVolf »

Honestly, just get someone to make some Housepets! character models, skins, and base animations (walking, running, etc) that are Source engine compatible, and use the http://sourcefilmmaker.com/ to produce it.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Anthroguy101 wrote:I've never heard of a web comic being turned into a movie before.
Paramount is working on adapting this Penny Arcade strip into a movie. To my knowledge that is the only time a webcomic has turned into anything. Unless you count print books.

I think Housepets! would make a better TV show than a movie, honestly. A movie would be the next step, if it gets big enough for one.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Pretty much anything could be made into a movie with enough time, effort, and funding. Whether or not it is good is another story.

I actually think Housepets! could be made into a decent film, maybe even good, if you take certain liberties...
My characters
Everybody has a story to tell. What's yours?
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

Housepets would never be a movie. It will be a TV show, then there will be a spinoff Pridelands movie.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

You could do it as a movie, you would just have to boil it down to the King/Nerds Plot and the Romance Plot (not that their are many other plot lines in this comic) and cut out a most of the background characters and stuff that don't have to do with those plots in any big way. A better way might be splitting it in two so you can have more of the background stuff in it.
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

I can honestly see at least 5 movies from this comic off the top of my head. I am not saying it is wise to make any movies, it needs to gain popularity as a tv series first. Just saying it is more than possible.
My characters
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

copper wrote:I can honestly see at least 5 movies from this comic off the top of my head. I am not saying it is wise to make any movies, it needs to gain popularity as a tv series first. Just saying it is more than possible.
:o How do you get 5 movies out of this comic? Its not anywhere near that complex. I could see 2 maybe 3 if you want to pad it out with some of the minor characters and even that is a stretch.
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

:lol: Complexity is nothing to flexibility, which this comic has in spades. These characters could easily make 5 movies, and just looking through the comic, yes, I can see at least 5 possibilities, including a faux war film from the Water Balloon War arc. :P
My characters
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

copper wrote::lol: Complexity is nothing to flexibility, which this comic has in spades. These characters could easily make 5 movies, and just looking through the comic, yes, I can see at least 5 possibilities, including a faux war film from the Water Balloon War arc. :P
See I'm thinking of just making a Movie out of the Plot of the comic itself like a straight adaption of it. Not making movies off individual arcs and new stuff like your thinking.
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Yeah, that is never a good idea. It forces you into only one or two. Flexibility is key to a good franchise. A straight adaptaiont would be interesting, but there is too much background here for that sort of thing. You'd have to have the tv series, and then do a special movie involving King and the Cosmic Nerds just to get the audience to understand what is going on. Make good movies out of new situations or arcs, and you can make quite a few specials, movies, OVAs, that sort of thing, really balloon it into something major and long lasting.
My characters
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Not only do I think Housepets! lacks the popularity for a movie (obviously), but I think it would simply be better fit for a cartoon show. Housepets! works well serial. Why change a good thing just because it would be more famous?
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Why would it have to be a feature-length motion picture? I could easily see a Housepets! serial running before the features...

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Zukio

Post by Zukio »

I think it would be amazing if Housepets became any sort of animated work. I would prefer a Television show though, as it has a bit of an episodic nature, but I could see multiple movies working too possibly.
I like Pie!!!
Go ahead and send me a message, maybe we could talk about pie!
GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!!
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

The only way i could see a Housepets! movie is either as a ending to the series as a final horrah or as a major plot point emphasis. Example: King returning human again.

I do agree though that a cartoon series alone would be enough. Rick would more than likely though have to target his audience towards children though, which to me wouldn't be a bad idea ;)
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Liam

Post by Liam »

We just have to wait ~50 years till HP! has become a classic and gets a nostalgia adaptation.

And hopefully a better one than Marmaduke...
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.
rickgriffin
Site Admin

Post by rickgriffin »

Liam wrote: And hopefully a better one than Marmaduke...
I'm still surprised ANYONE was nostalgic for a Marmaduke movie
GameCobra wrote:The only way i could see a Housepets! movie is either as a ending to the series as a final horrah or as a major plot point emphasis. Example: King returning human again.
I wouldn't do that. If it comes in a new media I'd prefer the story be stand-alone, not as a continuation of anything. Also, I'd want to tell the best story possible, not just the one that comes "at the end."
I'm sure the cold hand of science will be able to overcome his magical powers
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Marmaduke the movie... *shivers*
rickgriffin wrote:I wouldn't do that. If it comes in a new media I'd prefer the story be stand-alone, not as a continuation of anything. Also, I'd want to tell the best story possible, not just the one that comes "at the end."
That would be cool. Then i start thinking of something along the lines of "PIkachu's Vacation", except replace Pikachu with Bino. :lol:
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

rickgriffin wrote:I wouldn't do that. If it comes in a new media I'd prefer the story be stand-alone, not as a continuation of anything. Also, I'd want to tell the best story possible, not just the one that comes "at the end."
You pretty much have to do that. A movie adaptation that requires familiarity with a comic strip or a TV show in order to know what's going on is pretty much unmarketable.
Anthroguy101

Post by Anthroguy101 »

[OffTopic?]The arc I was actually dreaming about as a movie was King running away from the girl he was with at the dog show. That may have had something to do with how it was received. Not saying it's impossible to make a good movie out of it, but with a story like that it would be very easy to screw things up. Also as I said before, probably not PG IMO.

I knew about this because I heard it coming out of another theater. This particular cinema also had pay toilets; a really huge restroom with showers.[/off]
JohnWillow

Post by JohnWillow »

I think a movie would be moving too far ahead. I'm surprised this isn't a TV series already.

Perhaps to test the water he should see if anyone would be willing to adapt a few of the strips into a short to go before the start of an animated film, like what Pixar and Warner Bro's do.
Spike - "Seriously, a talking Dog is the weird thing about all this"

Me - "Not at all, the fact that you're a dog and not a lizard is much weirder"
holmebrian

Post by holmebrian »

i didnt watch it so i dont know how bad it was.

it would be nice to have some soritve virtual representation of the Housepets universe at least the neighborhood they all live in.
someone should immediately get on that
Karl

Post by Karl »

If there would be a movie, I'm sure they would take Mr. Griffin into cast and he would play a role of supervillain who plans to destroy entire planet. He fits to that perfectly.
I'm a bookworm!
Furryforever

Post by Furryforever »

I get a feeling that if it were turned into a movie for the public that the plot would be made idiot proof and it would lose alot of what we love it for.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

The comic's already meant to appeal to the broadest possible audience.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

By webcomic standards, at the very least!
Furryforever

Post by Furryforever »

Yes it is. I worded that wrong. What I meant was that there are alot of underlying things that you we've had to think about in detail, mostly to do with the whole cosmic game, and were it made into a movie it wouldn't really make you think. The movie would make these things obvious as many movies do. This is, keep in mind, if Rick was not directing. Were he directing I have every confidence he would find a way.
Liam

Post by Liam »

Sleet wrote:By webcomic standards, at the very least!
Wouldn't webcomic lowest common denominator mean two college kiddies ranting about vidja gaims?
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.
Wolfy

Post by Wolfy »

What about what all dogs go to heaven did? They made a tv series then rounded the finale off with a movie.
So Housepets could have a beggining movie to set the scene for the series then do the series having a few movies in between for all the really big important parts then when rick decides to finish the comic off (Oh please don't you dare ever finish this comic completely. you must somehow keep it going forever and ever) have a massive final movie to tie it all up. It will be a big hit because housepets is the cutest thing in the universe and kids love cute. kids will love it ratings will soar and then we can use the profits to take over the world. I mean develop an engine to run awesome graphics to absolutely destroy peoples minds for the final movie.
Oh and you can make toys and stuff for marketing and promotion of the series.
I WUV MAH KITTIES!
DanTwelve3

Post by DanTwelve3 »

Wolfy wrote: I mean develop an engine to run awesome graphics to absolutely destroy peoples minds for the final movie.
It must be hand drawn, exclusively by Rick. No re-using backgrounds or characters. All one hundred and thirty thousand frames.
holmebrian

Post by holmebrian »

DanTwelve3 wrote:
Wolfy wrote: I mean develop an engine to run awesome graphics to absolutely destroy peoples minds for the final movie.
It must be hand drawn, exclusively by Rick. No re-using backgrounds or characters. All one hundred and thirty thousand frames.
and that would take what 30+ years not likely. lol
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

It took Don Hertzfeldt long enough to do Rejected, and I think Rick's style is a little more refined. :P
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

I'd prefer if there was no movie. Instead of wasting time and money making a movie, why not make a longer comic? That sounds like a much better idea.
Toxic_Cherry

Post by Toxic_Cherry »

^That sounds like an idea. Like, a "movie length" comic. Like, one book that's pretty much a very long archive, if that makes sense?
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I dunno, people tend to get annoyed when the arcs go too long.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

Sleet wrote:I dunno, people tend to get annoyed when the arcs go too long.
Including Rick, so I doubt it'll happen
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Zukio

Post by Zukio »

I wonder what the longest arc is? This current one is almost 5 weeks long, with 13 strips already.
Anyway one of the biggest things I wonder about for a Housepets movie is who would it be about? I could see a movies based around King, one based around Peanut and Grape, or even one about just the everyday adventures of the cast, but it would be extremely hard to put all the plots in the comic together for one movie.
DanTwelve3 wrote:It must be hand drawn, exclusively by Rick. No re-using backgrounds or characters. All one hundred and thirty thousand frames.
That just sounds painful. I hope Rick has an amazing doctor, who specializes in hands, if he ever had to do that.
I like Pie!!!
Go ahead and send me a message, maybe we could talk about pie!
GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!!
thoughtwright

Post by thoughtwright »

Now who says it has to be animated? All the good comic adaptions are live-action! ...Right?

I'm actually a big fan of a musical, or even as stage play, do something really simple... Pets presented (visually) as normal people, not distinguished at all except by the respective Housepets! Belly T-Shirt: http://www.mysoti.com/mysoti/designer/r ... anut-Tummy

As a movie, idk. I don't have any style ideas that would work well. Maybe a stop-motion animation of paper cut-outs.

No matter what I'd go see it... and that's the idea, more people might be willing to see a movie, so if it's more profitable, what does it matter that it's more expensive?