Why Don't You Get A Job?

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Onlythebassist

Why Don't You Get A Job?

Post by Onlythebassist »

Recently I've been trying to get a start in the world of work; sharing my CV, filling out applications, all that jazz. It's been an objective of mine for a while to secure employment of some sort - lord knows I need the extra cash. I'm not a basket case or anything, I've held down good grades through high school and I'm not a public menace (all the time ;) ). So it vexes me when I get rejected or sometimes not even considered for a position. Although it has only been a few months since I began searching, it feels like I'm hitting a brick wall already. I know that with the current climate jobs aren't growing on trees, but come on. If even the least qualified individuals in the world can do it, why can't I?

So does anyone have any tips or even personal experiences that might be able to assist my situation? Because I would love to hear any and all opinions at this stage :|

Cheers

OTB
Wanderer

Re: Why Don't You Get A Job?

Post by Wanderer »

Do you want a job because you really need the money or do you just want "experience"?
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

Have you tried looking for anyone who can help you?

I got a job last year because my dad knew someone who knew someone that was really high up in some regional chain restaurant and just happened to have good timing that one of the employees just stopped showing up to work. While I'm not working there any more because a lot of *stuff* happened over the school year and I didn't feel like dealing with it all for only a summer job.

If that doesn't work out, you can try doing stuff yourself, like (yes, I'm about to say this) mowing lawns or laying down mulch. That's what I'm doing a lot of now. Of course, my dad is still helping me get a lot of the jobs that I do, so that still kind of falls under knowing the right person, but the people still pay me directly.

I can't say much else right now. This isn't a good time to get hired because most places do that the beginning of summer and don't need anyone at this point.
I hope you can find something to do soon anyway.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

Persistence pays off. Just keep looking. When you find a place that is hiring, check with them on an almost daily basis to see if the position is filled. If the employer sees that you are very interested he may hire you based on your persistence. It shows that you are eager and willing to work hard.

Also, once you get a job you may have to put up with a lot of crap, either from the boss, co-workers and/or customers. Just bare with it at least until another job comes along. I have had my fair share of evil bosses. If you can stick with it it looks good on a resume that you held a position for a long time, usually a year or longer. It amazed one of my employers that I washed dishes for a year.

Check on temp agencies. They can usually get you some type of employment short term or long.

I am not sure how the social services work in the UK, but is there some sort of Employment Commission that can help young people or the unemployed find work?
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
Karl

Post by Karl »

Well, in modern times it's really hard to find a job. I'm a photographer who has a phototechnician profile and still I cannot find any job in my occupation.

Last year I tried to get to some restaurant to work as a waiter. Everywhere I heard that they don't have time to take a green horn and they prefer someone with experience... but how you're supposed to get one if they don't want to take you in anywhere? Same I heard in shops and ice cream parlors.

But finally I got an offer from KFC. They were ready to hire me, but they required that I should make a health book and other bureaucratic stuff. because it was summer break period, agencies were closed and I had to wait some time before I got all those papers. And when I came back with stuff they required, they told me that they hired someone else on my place, because he already had them.

So my advice: before giving any CV to some store, company or office, make sure you have all the rest that is required to be employed.
I'm a bookworm!
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Try to find an in somewhere, see if places your friends/family work are hiring. In my expieireince it's near impossible to find a job, I'm only employed because I work for the University, unfortunately it is who you know more than anything else.
I think in Non-sequiturs

"I told you not to put metal in the science oven! What'd you do that for?"

Trash boiz
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Frequently places will act like they have openings even if they don't. Just in case. It's kinda sketchy, but you just gotta be persistent.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Liam

Post by Liam »

When I had finished school it took me 50+ application letters to get my first steady job.

Keep it rolling.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

I was basically hired by the first company I applied to after attaining my bachelor's degree, despite lacking the requisite customer service experience. As far as I know, I'm the only person hired there without it and I am a(n admittedly very junior) member of management now.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

Alternatively, you can try volunteering. Of course, it's not the same as an actual job, but it is better than nothing. Past volunteering experience may help you get a job. The competition is fierce, you are probably even competing against some adults.
I never actually looked for jobs. People that knew me would just offer me work. I guess I'm just lucky but it's much easier getting employed by someone you know.
FlintTheSquirrel

Post by FlintTheSquirrel »

Best suggestion I got is getting a job through connections. It is the only way I see people get their first job. My slacker neighbor got one because a friend refered him, and I got mine through family reference.
ChewyChewy

Post by ChewyChewy »

What if you don't have connections? I don't have a job either and I have no idea what I'm supposed to do. :( I keep looking online, but most of what I find is either not nearby, or I'm not qualified for it, or the schedule is wrong, or something like that. I have two degrees and you'd never know it. I have no experience and most jobs I see require experience.
PF chars

"We have to do this take again! HAL, do it with a LOT less emotion!"
"I'm sorry Stan, I'm afraid I can't do that."
--Phoenix

pair-o-dimes dot blogspot dot com
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

the only way to get a job is through connections. If not that, then more luck then anything else.
ChewyChewy

Post by ChewyChewy »

If only we hadn't lost the days of family businesses and apprenticeships.... :roll:
PF chars

"We have to do this take again! HAL, do it with a LOT less emotion!"
"I'm sorry Stan, I'm afraid I can't do that."
--Phoenix

pair-o-dimes dot blogspot dot com
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

oh, apprenticeships still exists. At least in England.
Zukio

Post by Zukio »

Networking, Internships, and a good Resume are all the tips I have constantly heard. Networking is the most important as some companies prefer to hire within.
I like Pie!!!
Go ahead and send me a message, maybe we could talk about pie!
GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!!
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

ChewyChewy wrote:What if you don't have connections?
Start a lemonade stand?
I think in Non-sequiturs

"I told you not to put metal in the science oven! What'd you do that for?"

Trash boiz
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

ChewyChewy wrote:What if you don't have connections?
I didn't have connections at my current employer till after I started there. Connections can be important, but it's not the end of the world if you don't have them. (I also don't have any government connections, but I got an offer [or, at least, a request to come and take physical and written tests] from the state police last year.)

Onlythebassist

Post by Onlythebassist »

All great advice - thanks for all the replies. I know what you mean when you bring up connections - a few of my less outgoing friends are employed because of family ties and favors. I will continue to persist though all the interesting banana...
Wanderer wrote:Do you want a job because you really need the money or do you just want "experience"?
Definitely need the money - I travel on a regular basis and it cuts deep into my funds
FlintTheSquirrel wrote:Best suggestion I got is getting a job through connections.
I do have a very resourceful uncle that gives me a few jobs in construction, but it's never consistent. Sometimes I can be asked to help out a few times in a week, but it's dried up recently.
44R0NM10 wrote:the only way to get a job is through connections. If not that, then more luck then anything else.
Perhaps I should start eating more Lucky Charms, although they're rare in England :D
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

In my experience, persistence just annoys the hiring managers. A year ago, my dad forced me to constantly annoy our local businesses for a job interview and now they won't give me the time of day.

My first job happened purely by dumb luck- my best friend and I went walking during the late spring and decided to go into a shop that had been closed all winter. "Yeah, I've just opened back up for the summer and I'm looking to hire someone part time." Yes please!

My second job actually did start by me filling out an online application for Subway. I just got a phone call one day asking if I was available for an interview; I didn't have to pester anyone, I was just asked to be interviewed.

My third job happened when the main manager of a restaurant came out during the slow hours of business while I was eating lunch. He remembered me as the girl who kept bugging them back in the fall for a waitressing job (-_-'), and wanted to know if I was still available to be hired.

My fourth job, well, they had gotten a new hiring manager since my dad had forced me on a harassing spree. My dad was also a regular customer at the restaurant, so the main manager was interested in giving his daughter a waitressing job. So only my fourth job can be blamed on connections.

~
Connections do mean a bit, but not always. One of my best friends (who I've known since I was nine and works at the retail store I am angsting to work for), specifically told his manager that I would be one of the best workers they would ever have and the multiple jobs on my application did not reflect a bad work ethic; when I wrote "summer job" "conflicted with school hours" and "temporary waitress only" as reasons for leaving, I was being 100% honest in every way.

... So what happens? I still don't get hired, while in the meantime they've hired four more people- three of which are in hot water for being awful at their jobs, and the other one is bringing upon mutiny with everyone's hours because she's buddies with the assistant manager.

Here's a suggestion: If you're fairly young, don't put more than one or two jobs if you've had a situation like mine.
Let me tell you about Homestuck.
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

In Brazil there are "competitions" (literal translation for governamental jobs that you can only obtain through exams). Once you manage to pass in one of those exams and you do a very good job you can obtain stability and thus, as long as you do a good job and there wasn't any shenanigans concerning the exam you can only be fired if you commit a crime.
I'm currently studying to pass in one one of them. They're hard and there's a LOT of people studying for them as well.
Shameless advertisement of my fanfics: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/880961/Angelus-alvus
Karl

Post by Karl »

Beagle wrote:"conflicted with school hours"
Yeah, it's a sucky situation. That's also one of the reasons why they don't want to hire me - guy goes to school and we prefer someone who is completely free. And that's uncomfortable for me because I need money for some stuff for school, not to mention that my parents are paying for my lessons and I want to take that weight from heir shoulders.
I'm a bookworm!

Post by 0404 »

hummmmmmm, have anyone worked as a film Extra/actor/actoress before?
I was never a good speaker, but used to be a good actor

it's really tempting
Have fun making $$$ as an actor or movie extra in Movie and Commercials in Winnipeg. We are currently looking for people of all ages, sizes, shapes, with or without experience!

We represent Union and Non-Union members in the filming industry.

(A Movie Extra/Background Performer is all the non-speaking roles)

We have worked on Movies, such as Broke Back Mountain, X-Men, Snow Dogs and Passchendale and are preparing for feature films and commercials just like these for this next filming year!

Typically it would be an hourly wage is $ 11.00-24.00 PER hour out on set.

We are also looking for mystery shoppers, Promo Models & Brand Ambassadors. In the past we have worked with Clients such as, Scotia Bank,
Co-op Liquors Stores and Auto/Trade Shows.

Call us at 1***5-2**-9**1 to speak with an Agent to see if you are appropriate for theses or future clients!
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

I'd love some sort of public speaking job. It's easier to deal with groups of people than individuals. = P

Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

The latest job I interviewed for, they didn't hire me because they found people with more experience.

The annoying part is that you can't get experience if you don't get hired anywhere, and experience is what they look for.

Basically, I'm screwed.

Post by 0404 »

Do they count volunteer activity?
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

I got hired without any experience... keep your chin up! :3

Post by 0404 »

is working 2-4times a week through out the year hard thing to do for 16 years old boy to do?
I have to do homework, test, study etc and I think I can't give up my learning for it....?
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

It's more like, are YOU willing to make the time commitment to having a job? Since you can't work during the school day, most places will want you to be available from 4/5 to 9/10/11/12, plus weekends.

Ask yourself these questions: Do I have enough time to work (and have almost zero time for homework, or time for homework and five hours of sleep)? It's easier in college because you don't have back to back classes like you do in high school; if you get a two hour break during the afternoon, you can sleep and do some homework then.

Am I willing to work a good majority of the weekend? Can I handle not having very much time for my friends once I get a job?

For me, it's very difficult. I take mostly honors and AP courses, and I am exhausted by the late afternoon most of the time. And yet I still have tests to study for and papers to write. I also have extra curricular activities that I do after school. On the weekend, I want to be able to see my friends and my boyfriend, since 90% of my waking time at school is being stuck with the people I hate (I don't get along with anyone in the "smart" classes).
One thing that MAJORLY annoyed me whenever I had a job, is that they always, always, always scheduled me for the times when my friends or boyfriend didn't have work. So the time that I did have off, I would be stuck at home, with money in my pocket and nowhere to go.

Another thing is, taking a job with more than 10 hours a week for me would require me to file taxes, and therefore seriously messing up the massive amount of financial aid I am going to get for college. If I don't make my own way to college, I don't go. Plain and simple. And a minimum wage is not going to pay off $18,000 a year for a four-year engineering school.

Ultimately, I reached the decision that I am okay with taking the school bus to save my gas to see my boyfriend on Saturday nights; I am okay with wearing shoes and clothes that are basically old and way out of style; I am okay having half of the things I own well on their way to being broken. My parents do pay for my car insurance (until I am 18) and they put a small amount of gas in my car. To me, sacrificing my GPA, relationships, and college aid is not worth the money in my pocket. Money doesn't always buy happiness. I've reached the conclusion that I will walk around flat broke until I'm done with college, and I'm pretty okay with that. In the mean time, I'll do odd jobs and make a little bit of money without being penalized for it, and I'll figure it out as I go. Hopefully I can find some little job for 10 hours (two days) a week so I can keep my car once I'm 18.
Let me tell you about Homestuck.

Post by 0404 »

Beagle, you helped me a lot, Thanks Beagle! HUG!

working at CIA or NSA?

NSA Qualifications

Must reside in the Baltimore-Washington, D.C. metro area
Must be a U.S. citizen
Must have an interest and aptitude in business computing and office technology
Must be a high school junior enrolled in either business computing or office technology classes with plans to participate in a school-sponsored work experience program throughout your senior year
An unweighted GPA of 2.5 or higher is preferred
Must be 16 years old by August 31st following your junior year
Must have reliable transportation for getting to and from work
Making the Grade

You must meet the standards of performance on the job
You must maintain an unweighted 2.5 GPA throughout your junior and senior years
If absent from school, you must be absent from work
You must achieve satisfactory evaluations from both your work supervisor and work experience coordinator
You must complete the program year, graduate and receive your high school diploma
Employment may be terminated if your personal conduct warrants such action

and more.......

:roll: Tempting! even tough I wouldn't stand a chance
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

Well you don't even live in that area, so you're already unqualified lol.
Unless if you're taking classes by them that are appreciably harder than high school classes, a 2.5 GPA is an easily manageable feat, even with a job.
The rest is just obvious qualifications that are at every job anyway.

Post by 0404 »

Can anyone help me writing a Resume?
I already do have one but It really needs some improvement
Radio Blue Heart

Actually, you might have a chance.

A lot of employers in the US actively look to hire Canadians on work visas. This is because you will still be covered by the Canadian health care system while in America. That will be your health insurance, so that is one less thing that they have to pay for. Because one of my co-workers is Canadian and still maintains her citizenship. If you ever go to tourist towns like Myrtle Beach, SC, you find that a lot of the kids working summer jobs in the grocery stores and the like are Canadian kids that have come to spend their summers working. Also, since you are not a US citizen you may only have to pay federal taxes out of your check and not state.

There are several templates that you can use for your resume. Try those, but I am sure that someone here can help you.
-Virgil

Post by 0404 »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:Actually, you might have a chance.

A lot of employers in the US actively look to hire Canadians on work visas. This is because you will still be covered by the Canadian health care system while in America. That will be your health insurance, so that is one less thing that they have to pay for. Because one of my co-workers is Canadian and still maintains her citizenship. If you ever go to tourist towns like Myrtle Beach, SC, you find that a lot of the kids working summer jobs in the grocery stores and the like are Canadian kids that have come to spend their summers working. Also, since you are not a US citizen you may only have to pay federal taxes out of your check and not state.

There are several templates that you can use for your resume. Try those, but I am sure that someone here can help you.
I'll Pm you once I need help with resume in future.

well, I hope it works like what you said. but It's really really really complicated right now. since I have triple nationality, it's all screwed up. I'll just head down to local service Canada department to check.

I got the application form, I greeted the manager and shook his hand and got the form. I have to wait until I turn 16, two months 'til my birthday!
any
JohnWillow

Post by JohnWillow »

I could really do with a better paying job. I work as a cleaner in Scotland. Right now the only reason I'm safe from bank charges is because my student account hasn't run out. I have two Diplomas, one in Acting the other in Physical Theater and I haven't had a decent shot at professional work since I left college. Anyone got some suggestions? I'd really like to do some voice acting work or find a theater company
Spike - "Seriously, a talking Dog is the weird thing about all this"

Me - "Not at all, the fact that you're a dog and not a lizard is much weirder"
Radio Blue Heart

JohnWillow wrote:I could really do with a better paying job. I work as a cleaner in Scotland. Right now the only reason I'm safe from bank charges is because my student account hasn't run out. I have two Diplomas, one in Acting the other in Physical Theater and I haven't had a decent shot at professional work since I left college. Anyone got some suggestions? I'd really like to do some voice acting work or find a theater company
The only advice I can give you about acting is to go to every possible audition that you can. Also, if you can get an acting job, even if it is low paying, then it will pay off as an acting credit. Is your part of Scotland close to any BBC production facilities? That might be a place to start.

If you want to sign up with a talent agency, do so. It does not guarantee a part, but they are in contact with the people who are looking for actors.

I have some friends that are theater majors. Even if you do not get any acting parts, having theater degrees can get you a job in anything theater or production related. One friend of mine manages a movie theater, and others went into television and radio production.

Theaters are always looking for people who know the workings and intricacies of a theater. They even want managers that understand how a theater operates. Most news broadcasters, both on radio and television, are essentially actors. Also, people who know a thing or two about how a play or film is produced are needed for such broadcasts. Even if you are just a production assistant, that is a start.
-Virgil