Firearm/Survival Topic# Six shots or only Five?

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Dissension

Re: Gun Topic #Bang bAng baNg banG

Post by Dissension »

I have an eclectic taste in firearms. I'm currently interested in firing a .50 water-cooled machine gun (like the M1921 or M2).

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
GunRacer

Post by GunRacer »

Good luck with that!

Do you know somebody local, or plan on heading to a group shoot like Knob Creek? And might I ask why you prefer the water-cooled M2 variant over the more common M2HB?
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

I don't have any actual plans to shoot one. As for why, it's a pretty silly reason: I find water-cooled MGs typically to be more aesthetically pleasing.

DingoVolf
Location: It was unwise to wake the 3-eyed cat, but we did it anyways, and now look at us. Whatever you do,

Post by DingoVolf »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:A friend of mine offered me an SKS for $350. What do y'all think?
I've had two that I think were in the low $200 range and while the first (I think an actual russian but not sure) was in terrible condition but had engravings on the side (neat stuff, I'll have to find the pictures again and post if I do), the second was a Yugo and still fires solidly to this day.
The Grey Wolverine

Post by The Grey Wolverine »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:He has never shot it. It still has its original factory packaging. It is a Yugoslavian/Serbian model and I have no plans to modify it from its original configuration. The deal rest entirely if it has a chrome lined barrel. Yugoslavian weapons made before 1970 don't have them. I like Soviet stuff anyway.
Take it if its as nice as it sounds, I've seen used ones in decent shape go for $250-$300
Please click this link and support me on FA. http://www.furaffinity.net/user/greywolverene/

Post by 0404 »

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D
shot Glock 17, first time shooting actual firearm. I drew a cross right on the bull's eye.
it was awsome.
Thanks to you guy for informing me with Information about guns.
I jjust don't know how to express my feeling. :D :D
The Grey Wolverine

Always keep this in mind about Glocks, I believe its the gen 2 or 3s that hate reloaded ammunition.
Please click this link and support me on FA. http://www.furaffinity.net/user/greywolverene/
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

Let me get this right. The majority of you guys are furries, people who like being about half animal, and some of you like the art of killing animals with guns?

Please don't take this as trolling or anything, but why? Using a gun as decoration, sure. Going to the range and self-defense is fine too I guess. I don't understand hunting for sport though. Feel free to help me understand this.
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

44R0NM10 wrote:Let me get this right. The majority of you guys are furries, people who like being about half animal, and some of you like the art of killing animals with guns?

Please don't take this as trolling or anything, but why? Using a gun as decoration, sure. Going to the range and self-defense is fine too I guess. I don't understand hunting for sport though. Feel free to help me understand this.
Deer taste good.
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

Is that the typical thing to do? I always kinda assumed that was nothing to do with it since the lead bullets have a habit of shattering upon impact.
Radio Blue Heart

44R0NM10 wrote:Is that the typical thing to do? I always kinda assumed that was nothing to do with it since the lead bullets have a habit of shattering upon impact.
Some do. Depends on the ammunition and where it hits.
-Virgil
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

So, some people hunt for a tasty meal? I honestly have nothing against that...so long as I know I'm not getting lead poisoning, heh.
The Grey Wolverine

44R0NM10 wrote:Let me get this right. The majority of you guys are furries, people who like being about half animal, and some of you like the art of killing animals with guns?
I don't hunt personally, I have however been paid to track down and even kill animals before, but in the case of the bear, it was a matter of safety as the bear was getting close to fields while we were working in them and showed aggression to my former co worker PJ. In the case of the foxes and coyotes, it was simply business as they were damaging crops and servery hurting the business. I do pride myself on marksmanship, so it was fast, and only killed what I had to, but they did leave for good.
GunRacer

Post by GunRacer »

Another big reason we need hunters and hunting is wildlife management. Like it or not, humans are the sole large predator in most areas, having displaced the vast majority of a lot of large wildlife. Nature is a system, and it's also one that requires a delicate balance of land area to plant life to prey species to predator species. Too many prey animals will result in depleted plant life, barren land, and also overcrowding-- once you get past a certain population density of deer or whatever, sickness spreads rapidly and mutates into more-destructive forms. As the apex predators, it's our job to keep the biosphere in balance.

Hunting also provides a profitable use of natural land, which can help reduce the financial incentive to cut down forests and increase urban sprawl. In Africa, safari hunting actually injects a tremendous amount of money into the local economy, and has helped keep animals like elephants from going extinct... now that there's a profit to be made in keeping them around.

I also tend to think hunting is, ethically speaking, the best option for meat-eaters. I know it sounds crazy, but think about it. Meat you pick up at the grocery stores doesn't grow on those nifty little sealed Styrofoam trays. It often comes from large-scale "farming" operations where animals live cramped, unpleasant, short lives. With hunting, though, you have a deer/turkey/whatever that's been trotting around in the woods for a much longer time than most farm animals have lived in the first place. Then-- WHACK-- they go to the Big Forest in the Sky. Instead of just forking over some cash for small chunks of dead animal at the ol' supermarket, you actually have to clean out and cut up what you've already stalked and shot... which makes it a little easier to appreciate the fact that a living thing died so that you could eat and live.

And lead poisoning is generally a big concern to non-hunters, so this is also an issue worth exploring in some detail. The way bullets work is to stop an animal from continuing to live, usually via hitting vital organs such as the heart, lungs, or brain. Lead poisoning is an environmental thing that occurs when lead is actually absorbed into the bloodstream via ingestion or inhalation, and takes a long time to build up. Unless a hunter manages to put a bullet in a deer's stomach and the animal keeps living for a week or two (so it can actually digest the metal), lead poisoning is a non-issue. Sometimes bullets will break apart on their way through flesh, but they still disperse in a fairly narrow conical area in line with the impact... it's not that hard to get 'em out. There's simply no way a whole animal's gonna be contaminated from a single bullet-- or even twenty, for that matter. Not that a non-shooter could be expected to know that, since there's so much misinformation about guns floating around these days.

Also, as to the whole furries-who-hunt thing, it might be worth considering that a vast majority of the fandom chooses to have a fursona of a predator species.

GunRacer
The Grey Wolverine

Also, something worth noting, is that while hunting ducks in certain areas hunters are required to use steel shot to prevent lead from going into the water and causing contamination. Also worth noting, is that when deer overpopulate, they leave areas barren of all plant life, causing severe environmental problems, malnutrition being a big one. And as for trapping, you can't use traps with teeth on them, its against the law to trap with those, I know a guy who is a trapper, instead of teeth, the trap uses a thick rubber pad that I'v put my hand into, it doesn't hurt. So, if you see anti trapper things around with those large steel bear taps, its propaganda and lies.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Animals die whether or not we do it. Guns just make it faster. Any hunting that hurts populations is illegal. In fact, sometimes hunting is beneficial for the species in the long run; shooting a few deer, for instance, keeps a lot of deer from starving to death. Which is a very slow, painful death.

I don't personally hunt because I don't like killing animals, but that isn't an ethical thing; I just don't personally like the idea of doing it. I don't think it's wrong.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!

Post by 0404 »

my final 5 shots (7M)
I was close to drawing a cross on targer
The Grey Wolverine

Because this is related to firearms, I will post this here. I watched the episode of Dr. Who known as, Voyage of the Damned. Its not good, but one thing that made me turn my head was this. The alien captain drew a handgun, specifically, a British .455 webley revolver. A top break revolver that ranks under some of my favorite pistols, right there with the Colt Single Action Army (or the Peacemaker) the Colt 1911a1, and lets not forget, the Ruger Mk1. This revolver was made in the late 1800s and served with the British military up to the 1960s. Why, oh why lord, is this the weapon the alien ship captain chooses to use? Really, just, WHY! Its like, during an invasion of the US, soldiers started using Russian Nagants and SKSs, old and outdated firearms that the armed forces of the world have moved on from. But I think the big question is, how did they make a Webley? Its established that they want to look the period of the Titanic, but they seem to have never been to earth except the Doctor.
Radio Blue Heart

The Grey Wolverine wrote:Because this is related to firearms, I will post this here. I watched the episode of Dr. Who known as, Voyage of the Damned. Its not good, but one thing that made me turn my head was this. The alien captain drew a handgun, specifically, a British .455 webley revolver. A top break revolver that ranks under some of my favorite pistols, right there with the Colt Single Action Army (or the Peacemaker) the Colt 1911a1, and lets not forget, the Ruger Mk1. This revolver was made in the late 1800s and served with the British military up to the 1960s. Why, oh why lord, is this the weapon the alien ship captain chooses to use? Really, just, WHY! Its like, during an invasion of the US, soldiers started using Russian Nagants and SKSs, old and outdated firearms that the armed forces of the world have moved on from. But I think the big question is, how did they make a Webley? Its established that they want to look the period of the Titanic, but they seem to have never been to earth except the Doctor.

Making movies and TV shows can be a hectic and sometimes rushed process. Sometimes what is available to the filmmakers dictates what makes it to the screen. This can lead to many anachronisms. Being a British television program they probably have access to a great deal of British military hardware to use as props. With in the realm if the story though, for the alien, using a firearm from Earth might be like one of us using a sword. It is traditional and symbolic to him rather than practical. Or perhaps he was masquerading as a human and did not bother to swap it out for alien technology.

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Doctor_Who_%2 ... _Series%29

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Doctor_Who_%28New_Series%29
-Virgil
GunRacer

Post by GunRacer »

/\
|
|
What he said.

It's the same as the cast in Battlestar Galactica using Uzis, Mac-11s, Skorpions, Beretta CX4 carbines, Makarovs, and FN Five-seveNs in a show that's ostensibly set several centuries in the future. Totally implausible... at least the zero-gee dogfight scenes are full of win.

If you really wanted to shoehorn the Webley into Dr. Who's plot, though, you could justify it. A relatively large and slow-moving projectile would probably cause a lot less potential damage to ship systems in the event of a round or two missing its mark than, say, some sort of BFG-9000 phaser thing.

Although (in the same circumstances) I'd probably go with a 1911A1 in .38 Super, because John Moses Browning. It would be in keeping with the early 20th-century feel, too.
The Grey Wolverine

I just thought it was really out of place with the rest of it, espically when you have robot angles that throw halos at people in an effort to kill them. I mean, there is transportation technology in it, cyborgs, I would assume there would have been something, I dunno, creative.
Radio Blue Heart

Well, time travel is a huge element of Doctor Who, so I guess there is nothing such as an anachronism. They sort of addressed this in "Genesis of the Daleks". The Kaleds and the Thals had been at war for over one thousand years. The Doctor remarked upon finding a pile of corpses from both sides that an energy-based weapon and a Lee-Enfield rifle were centuries apart but still used on the same battle field.

Also, some filmmakers are taken by the aesthetic qualities of some weapons. As gun racer pointed out, with the odd assortment in "Battlestar Galactica" the filmmakers tied to pick a selection of guns that looked either futuristic or completely foreign.

It is also just easier to re-purpose a gun as a prop than to build a prop depending on the production budget. Higher end productions, like James Cameron's "Aliens", hired armorers to put guns together and surround them with futuristic-looking plastic casings. And before on "The Terminator", he just took Finnish Valmet rifles, that were not that common to most American audiences, and simply added laser effects when they were "fired".

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Aliens

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Terminator,_The
-Virgil
GunRacer

Post by GunRacer »

And some people go in the opposite direction, making real guns out of movie guns:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am76xV8A ... ata_player
Apparently it has a red-dot sight set to turn on when a magazine is inserted, as well as a functioning round counter.

I just can't believe the bureaucratic nightmare this guy would have had to go through... a Class III full-auto license and a short-barreled shotgun tax stamp for the same gun. Wow.

Also, for anybody who likes bizarre and/or rare guns, this site will give you hours and hours of fun:
http://www.forgottenweapons.com/

They do videos, too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2bNh9O5YtQ
A bayonet and a shoulder stock in one-- what more could a guy want?

Yay linkage.
GunRacer
Last edited by GunRacer on Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by 0404 »

Thanks for informing us GunRacer.

Soooooo, my parents are thinking about allowing me to have a airpistol if shooting area permits, they belive airpistols are supose to be shot in the Range not at the backyard. Oh c'mon...

Edit: they also reminded me that we are living in Canada not Sothern state.
Last edited by 0404 on Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
McFly

Post by McFly »

They don't want you to shoot your eye out. ;)

Post by 0404 »

Why would eye do that?
Eye just want to shoot stuffs just like how olympics shooters shoot.
McFly

Post by McFly »

I was referencing A Christmas Story, an old Christmas movie.

There was a scene where the main character nearly shot his eye out while playing with his new rifle.
Rook

Post by Rook »

McFly wrote:They don't want you to shoot your eye out. ;)
Hee hee! I love that movie.

"You'll shoot your eye out! You'll shoot your eye out!"

Great movie.

Anywho, probably should get to it;

I currently own a Marlin .30-.30 lever-action rifle, a Desert Warrior Kimber 1911, and two Ruger .22's; a rifle and a target pistol. I plan on purchasing a mini-14 or M14. Yes, I know the difference. But, what do you guys think? Should I get the mini, or the M14?
Always love to live, and live to love others.

I ask a lot of questions... I know.

Rook STR- 9 PER- 3 END- 9 CHA- 7 INT- 3 AGI- 7 LUC- 4
Sergei STR- 7 PER- 4 END- 7 CHA- 4 INT- 8 AGI- 7 LUC- 5
The Grey Wolverine

M14, the Mini 14s I have had issues with. They hate certain grains of bullets. Plus the M14 is just more durable.
Rook

Post by Rook »

Agreed! :D Thanks! :)
Always love to live, and live to love others.

I ask a lot of questions... I know.

Rook STR- 9 PER- 3 END- 9 CHA- 7 INT- 3 AGI- 7 LUC- 4
Sergei STR- 7 PER- 4 END- 7 CHA- 4 INT- 8 AGI- 7 LUC- 5
Radio Blue Heart

I think for my next pistol I will get a FEG FP9. Its the poor man's Browning Hi-Power, and most of my decisions are based on economy. They go pretty cheap and they are high quality.
-Virgil
legendario13

Post by legendario13 »

I have a .22 air rifle (mendoza 2000)
does those ones count as controled firearms on canada (can you carry them freely?)
A moment of enlightenment...aaaaand it's gone

Post by 0404 »

ummmmmmmm, eh, eh, eh,
you should ask other Canadian folks (Gamecobra) for that but....

Guns are allowed for people with REAL reasons in Canada, (that's how my social study teacher taught me) mostly guns are opened for Farmers. and Government keeps track of it.
but after Stephen Harper became prime minister. he decided to change a rules about registration for ease of gun access for Farmer as he promised before election. so----- I don't know what happened after that. it was like 9 months ago.
I don't pay attention to politic and news that much.

tough I gotta say this, I never seen anyone who owns a gun here. at least around where I live.
yeah I saw cops with a gun...
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Goforit could probably answer any questions about Canadian gun laws, if he cares to return someday.

legendario13

Post by legendario13 »

Oh well, thank you guys
i'll look for those guys and ask
texascat018 wrote:yeah I saw cops with a gun...
:lol: hahaha
well i would worry if they dont...like really
McFly

Post by McFly »

I heard that British cops don't use guns.
legendario13

Post by legendario13 »

but can people do it ?
The Grey Wolverine

McFly wrote:I heard that British cops don't use guns.
Britain has very strict gun laws. Fun fact, cop is an acronym for Constable On Patrol.
Sarnoff

Post by Sarnoff »

I just bought a .50 cal Tradition Yukon for $100 at a gun show, the ease of buying it was... pathetic.
Also foundout muzzle loaders are expensive to start firing, $65 total just to make it shoot.
The gun seems in good condition, only problems seem to be rust inside the barrel, bent crappy plastic sight, and a shoddy safety.
Hope it was a decent investment(and that I don't load it wrong and blow it up)
The Grey Wolverine

For that price? Get a good smith to look at it just in case, you never really know. And before someone asks, a .50 muzzleloader is a common caliber and is not the same as a .50 BMG round used in things like the AS50 or M2 HMG.