Firearm/Survival Topic# Six shots or only Five?

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Firearm/Survival Topic# Six shots or only Five?

Post by 0404 »

Ok, I'm havin' good time at Texas. I'm staying at my uncle's place. It's simply just awsome down here.
I'm planning on going to a gun range with my uncle and my brother this Week, but neither of my self, my bro nor my Uncle can't really help our selves with renting a right gun at the right price, cuz me and my bro is no expert at gun and my uncle is too gentleman for a gun. I could ask neighbors around but this place is some kinda christian college place town thingy, so it's hard to find a gun folks around here.

so I'm asking y'a'll gun folks, what should I rent? How much for a rounds and rents?

This is a Gun topic. Feel free to talk about Guns. Bang Bang!

I'm doing pretty darn good with an air riffle tho.

Merry chrismas Gunracer. :lol:
GunRacer wrote: EDIT 7/27/12:

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT

Boys and girls, you might wanna pick up those standard-capacity pistol, AR, and AK mags while you still can! Apparently a senator has tacked on an addition to a cybersecurity bill that would ban gun magazines that hold more than ten rounds. This won't be like the '94 to '04 ban, either-- you won't be able to sell or even pass down "grandfathered" mags. For example, if my dad gave me one of his "pre-ban" thirty-round AR magazines, under this law, he could face up to a decade of federal prison time.

Federal. Prison. Time.

So.
Depending on how the votes in the House and Senate look, I will probably spend tomorrow cleaning out the magazine supplies of every gun store in the area. I'd advise anybody who wants some non-neutered mags to do the same, 'cause existing supplies will probably dry up really fast.

Odds of the law coming into effect are slim, but still... figured I should give folks a heads-up.
GunRacer
Last edited by 0404 on Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:32 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Re: Gun Topic #Bang bAng baNg banG

Post by Sleet »

I don't know much about your question, but I inherited a fair share of guns from my grandfather. He was a big hunter.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

Well, I can't really say for sure about what to rent or what rounds to use, though I'm a Texan with... four guns in the house (they're my parents'). I've learned to use 3 of them and the last is easy to figure out, and I've been to a range twice.

The kicker: I don't like guns or killing people. 'Tis the reason I'm a second degree black belt in Taekwondo: I prefer non-lethal.

The flipside is that I love games like Fallout and I AM actually interested in the MODELS of guns. xD
~\Rook/~

Post by ~\Rook/~ »

I'm from england so guns aren't exactly held in high standards.. Or held at all in fact!

But I am a fan of shooting games and are considerably good at them. (mostly Xbox ones though, TF2 not so much! But that one is arcade-y..)

Your best bet would be to ask the people who own the range. They'll know best! (Although, start off with sidearms/pistols, they're relatively cheap and reliable.. Rounds are cheap-ish too.)

Remember: I'm no encyclopedia on the subject, so DEFINATELY ask the range owner. He will know more!
Profile Picture by Hukley
Character Reference
Cm4F

Post by Cm4F »

texascat018 wrote:Ok, I'm havin' good time at Texas. I'm staying at my uncle's place. It's simply just awsome down here.
I'm planning on going to gun range with my uncle and my brother this Week, but neither of my self, my bro and my Uncle can't really help our selves with renting a right gun at a right price, cuz me and my bro is no expert at gun and my uncle is too gentleman for a gun. I could ask neighbors around but this place is some kinda christian college place town thingy, so it's hard to find a gun folks around here.

so I'm asking y'a'll gun folks, what should I rent? How much for a rounds and rents?

This is a Gun topic. Feel free to talk about Guns. Bang Bang!

I'm doing pretty darn good with an air riffle tho.

Merry chrismas Gunracer. :lol:
There are a bunch you can choose from, but it depends on what you are shooting at. For example, if y'all are going skeet shooting, I would recommend a 20 gauge or 12 gauge (more recoil) using bird shot. If you're going to a targeting range get like a .22 or any type of rifle that you're adept to. If you'd rather shoot a pistol, I personally would start of with a .22 to warm up and get used to the recoil, than start advancing to like a .45 or .38 later on.
I hope this is what you were asking.

Just out of curiosity, do you hunt?
ImageImage

I fought dyslexia, and I won!

Post by 0404 »

Thanks Ya'll!
@Sleet how may deers has he catched?

@HouseFox, I don't like violence either, and teach me some takewondo! I'm at. First degree but I forgot most of'em, I'm thinking about learning Karavmaga.

@Rock I would definatly ask 'im.
I play TF2 too,do you have steam? If you do, Add me on steam friend

@Cm4f, that really helped me a lot! Thanks. I would never hunt unless it's necessary. I love animals. But I would hunt bison for steak.
Do I have to provide my ID to range owner?
GunRacer

Post by GunRacer »

Glad to hear you're having a great time in the great state of Texas! We natives like it here too :3
texascat018 wrote:but this place is some kinda christian college place town thingy, so it's hard to find a gun folks around here.
Wait, wait, wait. This is Texas we're talking about here; you'll find gun people wherever you are. And it's definitely preferable to have somebody to go the range with, so you don't get screwed over with ammo costs (rental guns are generally pretty cheap, but the range generally makes you buy their overpriced ammo to use in their guns) and have a knowledgeable person to show you the ropes.

Cm4F was about on the money with what he said; .22LR is dirt-cheap and a great practice round for getting used to shooting. Depending on the amount of time you have with an air rifle, though, you may be able to skip straight up to the higher-caliber stuff: 9mm is generally the cheapest full-power handgun cartridge out there (you shouldn't be paying more than about 25 cents/round), with .38 Special following close behind... difference being that 9mm is almost always used in semi-autos and .38 Special is a revolver cartridge. .45ACP and .357 Magnum are fun too, but have more recoil and are generally quite a bit costlier.

.223 (also called 5.56x45) is about the cheapest rifle cartridge out there-- apart from .22LR, of course-- generally running the same price as 9mm for inexpensive practice loads. But most ranges don't rent rifles, so that's a bit of a moot point.

12 gauge and 20 gauge are about the only options for shotgun ammo. I tend to prefer 12 gauge because of the larger volume of shot it puts out, but that comes at the cost of a slightly heavier gun and a little more recoil.

I like outdoor ranges much better than indoor, although some outdoor places don't have any place to rent guns and/or buy ammo. Caveat emptor.

Finally, regardless of where you go to shoot, get some competent instruction! Whether it's from your uncle or a friend, safety is number one when you're dealing with firearms.

Always obey these four rules:
http://thefiringline.com/Misc/safetyrules.html

And have fun! I'll shoot you a PM with some info about local range options.
GunRacer
legendario13

Post by legendario13 »

Great to know youre having fun man.

I cant help you on this one the biggest caliber allowed here is .22 or .308 out of there I know nothing.
A moment of enlightenment...aaaaand it's gone
Cm4F

Post by Cm4F »

texascat018 wrote:@Cm4f, that really helped me a lot! Thanks. I would never hunt unless it's necessary. I love animals. But I would hunt bison for steak.
Do I have to provide my ID to range owner?
Most likely yes.
And I probably should have thought twice about asking other furries if they were hunters *shotforevur*
ImageImage

~\Rook/~

Post by ~\Rook/~ »

texascat018 wrote:@Rock I would definatly ask 'im.
I play TF2 too,do you have steam? If you do, Add me on steam friend
At first, it's Rook, but that's an easy mistake..
Yes, i'm on steam, You add me: Retorical Pigeon (don't ask about the name)

Anyone else can add me if they so want. More the merrier!

Anyway, back to guns..
GunRacer wrote:Cm4F was about on the money with what he said; .22LR is dirt-cheap and a great practice round for getting used to shooting. Depending on the amount of time you have with an air rifle, though, you may be able to skip straight up to the higher-caliber stuff: 9mm is generally the cheapest full-power handgun cartridge out there (you shouldn't be paying more than about 25 cents/round), with .38 Special following close behind... difference being that 9mm is almost always used in semi-autos and .38 Special is a revolver cartridge. .45ACP and .357 Magnum are fun too, but have more recoil and are generally quite a bit costlier.
Dude, you know your guns! This will help me a lot in my Fallout: New Vegas games! See if they did their research on bullets.. (I always like to see realisim in my games such as this and like to do my own research as well to find out how close they are!)
Profile Picture by Hukley
Character Reference

Post by 0404 »

texascat018 wrote:but this place is some kinda christian college place town thingy, so it's hard to find a gun folks around here.
I mean small dormitory area at small town ,not college dormiory. I found some gunfolks few minute ago here.
The Grey Wolverine

Post by The Grey Wolverine »

I recommend getting a Ruger Mk1,2, or 3, they are good .22 handguns to use if your new to pistols, a Colt 1911 if you have experience, or an M92 if the 1911 is to big, if your a James Bond fan, go for a Walther P99 or PPK, if you get the P99, get the 9mm, the .40 james like crazy, and the PPK is a small .380 auto
If your looking into rifles, start with say, a Ruger 10-22, its a good rifle to start with, if you have experience with rifles, I'd say and Ar-15, M1 Carbine, M1 Garand, or an M1a depending on your size
For shotguns, Remmington 870, Mossgurg 500s, and really anything made by Beretta are solid choices.
Please click this link and support me on FA. http://www.furaffinity.net/user/greywolverene/
Cm4F

Post by Cm4F »

Since this is a gun topic, what this guy shoot skeet.
ImageImage

Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

texascat018 wrote:@Sleet how may deers has he catched?
I don't even know. At least one, I think. Usually he hunted ducks.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

I have:

Tokarev TT-33/TTC
Mosin-Nagant 1891/1930
Mossberg 500a
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

I have a buttload of virtual weapons I could own ya'll with!
Jason Mraz wrote: My goal is to show everyone that they, too, can do what they love to do.
Daggy wrote: Look a shadowpriest, what a cutie.... POW
Radio Blue Heart

For most people, all they know of firearms is what they see in movies, games, etc. That is why this site comes in handy if you need to put a make and model to what you have seen, or if it is real or made up or not.

http://www.imfdb.org/

Here is a page for the sake of example:

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/A_Bridge_Too_Far
-Virgil
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

The guns in ArmA II are in fact based on real weapons, as it is a military simulator.
Jason Mraz wrote: My goal is to show everyone that they, too, can do what they love to do.
Radio Blue Heart

Tiggy wrote:The guns in ArmA 2 are in fact based on real weapons, as it is a military simulator.
It has a page!

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/ArmA_III

And indeed they are. Is this a game to play while listening to Sabaton?
-Virgil
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

I know, I edited my post and included a link just after I posted it. :P

And you really shouldn't listen to music at all since the game is incredibly realistic and you'd need to listen to your surroundings!
GunRacer

Post by GunRacer »

Rook: Well, spend enough time doing something and you're bound to pick up some information. Shooting's a nice hobby! Anyways, I haven't played any of the Fallout games and can't comment on them... but if they're anything like 95% of other shooter games, gunplay will be horrendously inaccurate, unfortunately.

Cm4F: Ah, that's some nice shotgunning.

RBH: A Tokarev? I'm jealous. And how do you like your 91/30? I picked one up recently, but haven't been able to shoot it yet.
Cm4F

Post by Cm4F »

GunRacer wrote:Cm4F: Ah, that's some nice shotgunning.
I really wanna try that gun one day.
ImageImage

GunRacer

Post by GunRacer »

You and me both, brother. Shooting skeet one-handed would be fun, that's for sure. Ah, if only my family had some property where I could go and do crazy stuff like that without getting kicked off a range for (admittedly valid) safety reasons.

Anybody else on here do USPSA*, action-shooting type stuff? There's no better way to spend a few hours at the range.
GunRacer

*http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7i50yn6-qM
Radio Blue Heart

GunRacer wrote: RBH: A Tokarev? I'm jealous. And how do you like your 91/30? I picked one up recently, but haven't been able to shoot it yet.
It's actually a TTC, a Romanian made copy. Its cheap and simple but it is nice. You can get them pretty cheap if you want one. They still make them in Serbia and China in 3 different calibers.

I like my Mosin. I thought that a full sized rifle would kick really hard but it was surprisingly easy to handle. It's date of manufacture is 1937 and it is marked by Izhevsk arsenal.
-Virgil
Cm4F

Post by Cm4F »

GunRacer wrote:Anybody else on here do USPSA*, action-shooting type stuff? There's no better way to spend a few hours at the range.
To be perfectly honest, I spend a great deal of my time knife throwing. Just let me clarify be fore I make myself sound crazy, this kind of skill is a horrible combat option, so I don't throw knives for fighting purposes. I don't know why I like it, but ironically, to me, it's relaxing and is a lot of fun, once you get good at it. It took a lot of practice but I've gotten to the point where I average a 70% to 80% success rate. LuLz
ImageImage

GunRacer

Post by GunRacer »

RBH:
I know the Tokarevs are inexpensive, and do plan on picking up one of the Yugo models in 7.62 Tok at some point. My main issue is that I want a practical carry gun (probably a Glock 17 or M&P9L) and an autoloading shotgun first... neat as the Tokarev is, it's not the most effective defensive sidearm. Plus, the unusual chambering means I can't run it in USPSA and IDPA, which require a 9mm/.355" or larger bullet. It's cool that your Mosin is working well for you, too. Ishvek and '37 means a round receiver, right?

Cm4F:
Dude, you don't sound crazy, and a 75% success rate is pretty impressive! I get the same kind of relaxation from putting rounds downrange.

Post by 0404 »

I have no idea what you guys are talking about :P
Anyway, with airpistol practice, I noticed that How I pull the trigger matters a Lot to accuracy. slower I pull the trigger, more chance of hit. I think...
Radio Blue Heart

GunRacer wrote:RBH:
I know the Tokarevs are inexpensive, and do plan on picking up one of the Yugo models in 7.62 Tok at some point. My main issue is that I want a practical carry gun (probably a Glock 17 or M&P9L) and an autoloading shotgun first... neat as the Tokarev is, it's not the most effective defensive sidearm. Plus, the unusual chambering means I can't run it in USPSA and IDPA, which require a 9mm/.355" or larger bullet. It's cool that your Mosin is working well for you, too. Ishvek and '37 means a round receiver, right?

Cm4F:
Dude, you don't sound crazy, and a 75% success rate is pretty impressive! I get the same kind of relaxation from putting rounds downrange.
Like I said, you can get other calibers. The Serbian version come it 9mm and .40 auto.

And yes, a round receiver.
-Virgil
legendario13

Post by legendario13 »

texascat018 wrote:I have no idea what you guys are talking about :P
Anyway, with airpistol practice, I noticed that How I pull the trigger matters a Lot to accuracy. slower I pull the trigger, more chance of hit. I think...
Dont pull, Squeeeeze it 8-)
A moment of enlightenment...aaaaand it's gone
The Grey Wolverine

texascat018 wrote:I have no idea what you guys are talking about :P
Here is what you want to do, squeeze the trigger slooooowly, breathe in, breathe out, squeeze a little more, repeat until it fires, you should never know when it goes off, because when you do, you anticipate the recoil, causing you to have a poorer shot, its a problem with new shooters that takes a while to iron out.
Please click this link and support me on FA. http://www.furaffinity.net/user/greywolverene/
GunRacer

Post by GunRacer »

RBH:

Heh. It feels like we're running circles around each other here. For me, at least, a Tok isn't really a Tok unless it's chambered for 7.62x25-- probably because I value the platform more for its historical value than anything else. But even putting that aside, the Tokarev's also an older design that doesn't have the most modern design or safety arrangement. I tend to be a fan of capacity (under the theory that nobody ever left a gunfight saying "If only I'd had eight fewer rounds in the magazine!"), and so 9+1 in 9mm just doesn't do it for me. Come to think of it, USPSA's Production division-- what I shoot-- limits you double-action-only, double-action/single-action, or Glock-style "safe-action" triggers... not the Tokarev's single-action only design. So to run the thing in competition, I'd have to be bumped up to the Single-Stack division and duke it out with with people running semi-custom 1911s.

All of those things are, of course, not huge issues provided the price is right. But I can afford to plunk down the little bit of extra cash needed to buy a modern polymer-frame pistol, and I believe it will serve me better for competition and self-protection. Now I don't mean any disrespect whatsoever to the Tokarev, and want one very badly. But right now I've got an either-or decision on my hands... and the Tok just doesn't come out on top. I certainly hope you have fun with yours, though!

Texascat:
B.R.A.S.S.

Breathe (exhale about halfway)

Relax (not too loose, not too tense)

Aim (get your gun on target)

Sight (get your sights lined up perfectly and hold 'em there)

Squeeze (gently and gradually increase pressure on the trigger until it breaks; a smooth trigger pull like you talked about is the only way to shoot accurately-- just make sure your sights stay dead-on)
Radio Blue Heart

GunRacer wrote:RBH:

Heh. It feels like we're running circles around each other here. For me, at least, a Tok isn't really a Tok unless it's chambered for 7.62x25-- probably because I value the platform more for its historical value than anything else. But even putting that aside, the Tokarev's also an older design that doesn't have the most modern design or safety arrangement. I tend to be a fan of capacity (under the theory that nobody ever left a gunfight saying "If only I'd had eight fewer rounds in the magazine!"), and so 9+1 in 9mm just doesn't do it for me. Come to think of it, USPSA's Production division-- what I shoot-- limits you double-action-only, double-action/single-action, or Glock-style "safe-action" triggers... not the Tokarev's single-action only design. So to run the thing in competition, I'd have to be bumped up to the Single-Stack division and duke it out with with people running semi-custom 1911s.

All of those things are, of course, not huge issues provided the price is right. But I can afford to plunk down the little bit of extra cash needed to buy a modern polymer-frame pistol, and I believe it will serve me better for competition and self-protection. Now I don't mean any disrespect whatsoever to the Tokarev, and want one very badly. But right now I've got an either-or decision on my hands... and the Tok just doesn't come out on top. I certainly hope you have fun with yours, though!
Yeah, I guess we were. I was just saying that if you wanted one in a different caliber, mechanically the same.

I know there are newer and more modern designs, but it is simple and accurate. And there is something to be said about a reputation. Besides, firearms are expensive and it is easily within my price range. Besides, I can buy a replacement barrel and bushing to switch it out to 9mm.
-Virgil

Post by 0404 »

Either Wolverine or raccon literaly deystroyed lines of fences at my uncle's backyard. That Means War!!
No offence to you grey wolv.
Jack knife, ready. Airpistol, ready. Flashlight, ready.
I don't want to kill an animal but it is neccsary.
We should call animal control servicez??

BRASS Beast! I hope there is actualy a time to think about Brass rules and shoot that chuckle nut. Or at least to actualy aim and shoot.
The Grey Wolverine

Call animal control and let them deal with it, they are professionals and you aren't but don't take a chance, if they come at you just be prepared but don't go out with the intention of killing them. I was paid to deal with stuff like that before, but that's neither here nor there also, wolverines don't live that far south, they are in upper Canada, Alaska, some European nations, western Russia, and Siberia.
GunRacer

Post by GunRacer »

Texascat:
Yes, the fundamentals of proper shooting are anywhere from difficult to impossible to remember during the stress of competition, hunting, or (God forbid) self-defense. This is why you train train train with dry-fire practice at the house and live-fire practice at the range to ingrain certain behaviors into your neuromuscular pathways... so you don't have to think about safe and competent gun handling. You just do it. Brian Enos's book Practical Shooting: Beyond Fundamentals is an astoundingly good training aid when it comes to marksmanship with a pistol, if you're looking for reference material.

Post by 0404 »

D'ohp
shooting was delayed to this saturday. But I was able to get a oppertunity to buy a Co2 pistol in future.
Radio Blue Heart

A friend of mine offered me an SKS for $350. What do y'all think?
-Virgil
GunRacer

Post by GunRacer »

Assuming the rifle is in good shape, yes-- you can't find an an SKS online nowadays for less than $300, and that's before shipping and FFL fees. I mean, I'd try and bargain the price down to $320 or so, but that's just me.

One thing you will want to do (for safety reasons) is put on a spring-loaded firing pin: http://www.murraysguns.com/sksown.htm

Also, watch out for section 922(r) compliance. Even adding something as simple as one of the new-manufacture 20-round Tapco "duck bill" magazines could get you in some serious trouble... here are the rules:
http://www.tapco.com/section922r/
Beyond stupid, but the law is the law.

Or, if you don't particularly care about historical value, you could just save up another $150 or so to pick up a Smith and Wesson M&P-15 Sport, which is supposedly a very good AR-15-pattern rifle at a great price. Then you won't have to worry about ridiculous compliance laws and whatnot... plus, cheap 7.62x39 is hardly any less expensive than .223 these days.

GunRacer
Radio Blue Heart

GunRacer wrote:Assuming the rifle is in good shape, yes-- you can't find an an SKS online nowadays for less than $300, and that's before shipping and FFL fees. I mean, I'd try and bargain the price down to $320 or so, but that's just me.

One thing you will want to do (for safety reasons) is put on a spring-loaded firing pin: http://www.murraysguns.com/sksown.htm

Also, watch out for section 922(r) compliance. Even adding something as simple as one of the new-manufacture 20-round Tapco "duck bill" magazines could get you in some serious trouble... here are the rules:
http://www.tapco.com/section922r/
Beyond stupid, but the law is the law.

Or, if you don't particularly care about historical value, you could just save up another $150 or so to pick up a Smith and Wesson M&P-15 Sport, which is supposedly a very good AR-15-pattern rifle at a great price. Then you won't have to worry about ridiculous compliance laws and whatnot... plus, cheap 7.62x39 is hardly any less expensive than .223 these days.

GunRacer
He has never shot it. It still has its original factory packaging. It is a Yugoslavian/Serbian model and I have no plans to modify it from its original configuration. The deal rest entirely if it has a chrome lined barrel. Yugoslavian weapons made before 1970 don't have them. I like Soviet stuff anyway.

I do not care for AR patterned rifles. I think they are too temperamental for my taste.
-Virgil
GunRacer

Post by GunRacer »

Unfired and in original factory packaging? Holy crap, that's awesome... sounds like you made quite a find! I'm jealous. That does seem to be the kind of rifle you'd want to keep stock, so that puts 922(r) out of the way.

All I can say is my family's AR-15 has been through hundreds of rounds of mostly steel-cased, dirty budget ammo, and it hasn't given us the first sign of trouble-- well, before we lost it in a tragic boating accident, that is. But if you're interested in the com-bloc stuff, I hear the Arsēnal (ignore the accent) AKs are very nice.

Now, time for some gun-geekery:
It would be interesting to see this fire, that's for sure: http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2012 ... ret-rifle/

A little pricey, but still, it's a freakin' FG42! You can also get a .308 version that takes M14/M1A mags: http://smgguns.com/?page_id=694
I need this.